Discontinued The Persei Vaporizer for herbs and concentrates.

THC SCIENTIFIC

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before
Manufacturer
Sorry been quite busy. Not real familiar with concentrate terminology...by full melt if your referring to bubble, i have not tried personally, but i would say its safe to say the white rod should be able to handle pretty much any type of concentrate.

The thicker and more solid, the shorter the coil should be. Ive pretty much only had shatter since i got the persei. I had to cut the coil to 30% to get it to work consistantly with the white rod, and have been using the same coil and oil with the black rod so from my experience I would say whatever sized coil you use with the white rod should also work for the black rod. Although if your using a full coil with the white rod i dont think that would work as well with the black rod even with the same oil. I would probably suggest half a coil (50%) as the biggest size with the black rod.

With the shatter i have, it would melt instantly into the coil with the white rod, its a little more difficult to get it to melt in fully with the black rod, and i do have to scrape around the top of the coil/outer diameter against the walls of the chamber from time to time which is the only trade off, but you also dont have to worry about pulsing the button and/or burning oil as well as not having to worry about it leaking period...

Thicker, more solid oil/concentrates i would suggest a 30% coil, with the ceramic rod just slightly sticking out above the coil. For both the black and white rods.

Waxes probably 30-40% coil with the black rod, 40-50% coil with the white rod

And liquidy oils 50% with the black rod, 50%-full coil with the white rod.

Ive only used shatter though, so those are just assumptions.

Also I would say thats a great idea to have one with the black rod and one with the white rod, but not necessary. At least for me...i havent even touched or thought about the white rod since i got the black rod. I did think it would be nice to have an extra upper section (where the rod and coil goes) so you could have one for herbs and one for oil without having to worry about removing the coil everytime. But if your only doing oil its really easy to just switch the rods out, and in that case it might be good to just set the other one aside(minus the extra rod) so you have spare parts in case something happens or you lose something?

Okay so are you recommending the black rod for just herbs now too (like the blue rod was) as well as just oil and/or mixed?

I havent gotten a chance to try my black rod with just herbs yet but should be able to tomorrow so ill report back sometime in the next few days as how it goes

What im saying is the black rods will heat up faster and hotter, if you have a Persei it shouldn't be a issue if you pulse the button.

Last edited:
THC SCIENTIFIC,
Reactions: ataxian

PhotoRider

Diagnosed with level 11 G.A.S.
All BHO’s are full melts - i.e. they fully melt with heat. While hash ice, bubble and kief are not full melts, but are concentrates.
CO2 and Puregold I believe are full melts also, but I have no expedience...

Shatter, wax, budder, crumble, honeycomb is the type of BHO. All goes through the shtter stage when can be further processed to the others. That is if done correctly.

Caligula

Maximus
I noticed my coil slid up a tiny bit higher from the coil than where I initially put it and noticed some whispier rips. As soon as I pushed it back down with my dabber, back to explosive rips.

I agree with Blazing OG that you do have to load up very generously. I think at one point I actually had a bit too much. My coil was just swimming in liquified goop. But after 1-2 lighter(not much) rips, it was back to banging out the big rips I am beginning to know and love.

Also one thing I think helped me was I didn't hear the "sizzle" when I pressed the button on the Persei(I usually follow the 6 sec on, then let go while starting rip, maybe a pulse or 2 till done). That's when I noticed my coil was a tad bit out of place. I do the cool down rips religiously and may have hit so hard I made the coil slide up just a tad.

I am only beginning my Persei journey so no disrespect Atomsk, if I've stated the obvious. Good luck and i hope you find out what's holding back the Herc.
(Now I have Simply Red in my head singing)

"Holding back the Herc
Thinking bout this shat-ter I've held so long
Atomsk can't you hear
Listen for the sizzle to know its gone"

"Strangled by the vapor of og
shat-ter
Hoping for a new strain after
Get it to me sooner than later"

I'll be here all week folks. thanks for coming out!

This.

I'd been putting small chunks of shatter on my coil for individual sessions lately. I guess I had been putting too little and each session I would end up dipping into the buffer a bit. Over time this added up and I had the same issue as @Atomsk. I then tried putting a much larger then normal amount on the next load and hit the Hercules until I got vapor then stopped and loaded another chunk on top of the coil (the first chunk having melted in).

I'm happy to report its busting lungs like a champ once more. Even the more experienced of us need to step back and look for the simple solutions from time to time.

Anyway, a good way to tell if your hitting the buffer is to load the coil up with one concentrate then after the buffer is full, use a second concentrate to load on top. This way when you notice the flavor change you know you're eating into your buffer.

Last edited:

Atomsk

Floating In My Tin Can
@vaporchaser420 @BLAZING OG @Silver420Surfer @Caligula

Nope, this issue persists with three different pairs of cells, two 18350, one 18650.

I can't be under-loading, that's what the problem is. I'm adding entirely too much oil. How much is too much? So much that it all pulls in to the mouthpiece and I still have a bunch still visibly coating the topmost section of the coil. That is to say, my first load is most certainly above the buffer (the entire coil is saturated with some seepage on the bottom and some unmelted wax on top. From there I heat the chamber and then drop the coil in so no oil can rest on the ceramic rod. I cool it down with a few cold hits, then I then I add more oil. This is a 30 coil, it shouldn't take more than a gram.

So I'm sure how much I'm loading isn't the problem. It's that somehow, the oil is being heated to where it won't vape one second, and then it's burned as fuck the next. Sometimes even holding the button down the entire 30 second cycle won't produce any vapor, but I can taste that it's burned.

I'm heavily leaning towards this being an airflow issue because there is clearly heat, there is clearly oil, and I'm alternating between a bunch of different suction levels and techniques just to make vapor. I mean, I can go ahead and load two grams on a 30 coil and probably come back and tell you guys I swallowed more oil than vaped it.

THC SCIENTIFIC

Manufacturer

Nope, this issue persists with three different pairs of cells, two 18350, one 18650.

I can't be under-loading, that's what the problem is. I'm adding entirely too much oil. How much is too much? So much that it all pulls in to the mouthpiece and I still have a bunch still visibly coating the topmost section of the coil. That is to say, my first load is most certainly above the buffer (the entire coil is saturated with some seepage on the bottom and some unmelted wax on top. From there I heat the chamber and then drop the coil in so no oil can rest on the ceramic rod. I cool it down with a few cold hits, then I then I add more oil. This is a 30 coil, it shouldn't take more than a gram.

So I'm sure how much I'm loading isn't the problem. It's that somehow, the oil is being heated to where it won't vape one second, and then it's burned as fuck the next. Sometimes even holding the button down the entire 30 second cycle won't produce any vapor, but I can taste that it's burned.

I'm heavily leaning towards this being an airflow issue because there is clearly heat, there is clearly oil, and I'm alternating between a bunch of different suction levels and techniques just to make vapor. I mean, I can go ahead and load two grams on a 30 coil and probably come back and tell you guys I swallowed more oil than vaped it.

Can you please take the coils out and send me everything else.

Complete Hercules, and cells.

BLAZING OG

Vaping is a way of life!

Its gotta be air flow issue or coils, I have not been getting consistent hits at all anymore, with loading small or overloading it.
The coils seem to be degrading and maybe get a heavy coat of deposits that dont allow the coil to heat up as much or as quickly, not really sure.

Atomsk

Floating In My Tin Can
Can you please take the coils out and send me everything else.

Complete Hercules, and cells.
Will do, however I think it's worth looking at the coils themselves, like OG says, that might be the issue.

Its gotta be air flow issue or coils, I have not been getting consistent hits at all anymore, with loading small or overloading it.
The coils seem to be degrading and maybe get a heavy coat of deposits that dont allow the coil to heat up as much or as quickly, not really sure.

Thank god. I thought I was going crazy.

Might this be a good time to pitch the HealthStone / VaporGenie type porous, ceramic to replace the coil?

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral
@Atomsk>
@Blazing OG> This question may help me more than you guys but do you guys hear a "sizzle" from the Herc when pressing the power button? Curious.

@G>If I preorder the core am I charged when it ships or immediately?

Last edited:
Silver420Surfer,

Atomsk

Floating In My Tin Can
@Atomsk>
@Blazing OG> This question may help me more than you guys but do you guys hear a "sizzle" from the Herc when pressing the power button? Curious.

Nah, not at all. I hear gurgling most of the time (when hitting it), no sizzle. I can only assume 1) your rod gets super hot super quick, or, more likely, 2)it's your saliva or some other liquid in the oil / coil being heated.

Hope this helps, bud.

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral
Hot Rod here then, no sloppy mouthpieces in this house or liquid in my oil/coil I guarantee! I read somewhere about "techniques" used and it recommended a 6 sec power button then rip, 4 sec on, 2 sec off throughout your rip, and another that I forgot. I hear a sizzling or gurgling(but not a clogged gurgling sound) after power held in for 4 sec, just wanted to throw it out there.

I am sure it is very frustrating for you and don't mean to accelerate it with more "questioning" of your techniques, especially when my experience is limited(but Herc is working like a chimney).
Good luck and keep us posted when you get it back from the repair shop.

Silver420Surfer,

PhotoRider

Oh mine sizzles also with some waxes - depends on the wax I guess. Especially if the coil gets real hot like a 4 sec power on w/o draw. While I am sure it will give large hits quickly, I prefer not to do that w/o some air through it.

PhotoRider,

THC SCIENTIFIC

Manufacturer
Will do, however I think it's worth looking at the coils themselves, like OG says, that might be the issue.

Might this be a good time to pitch the HealthStone / VaporGenie type porous, ceramic to replace the coil?

We are working on the next generation of coils. We have looked at the porous ceramics. We will have an update soon.

@Atomsk>

Sizzling could be caused of improperly purged oil.

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral
We are working on the next generation of coils. We have looked at the porous ceramics. We will have an update soon.

Sizzling could be caused of improperly purged oil.
Doesn't sizzle with lighter under foil or on a nail, don't see why it would in Herc. Maybe I am using the wrong word(sizzle) because I can assure you there is no scrub errl here.(Don't mean to sound defensive of my concentrates)

Silver420Surfer,

PhotoRider

Well darn it you should be - coming in here whining about the equipment when your crap sizzles.

:D seriously probably a different thing - for me “sizzles" is the unpurged butane popping. If it doesn’t do on foil or especially a nail (where the heat up is instant) then it isn’t that :)

THC SCIENTIFIC

Manufacturer
Doesn't sizzle with lighter under foil or on a nail, don't see why it would in Herc. Maybe I am using the wrong word(sizzle) because I can assure you there is no scrub errl here.(Don't mean to sound defensive of my concentrates)

Moisture, and improperly purged oils sizzle. Cant diagnose it as all oils are different.

Last edited:

BLAZING OG

Vaping is a way of life!

I always said they need a pen vape that has a real nail (titanium) like this (da budda vape/ssv)
http://dabuddhavaporizer.com/dbv-accessories/dbv-accessories/flavor-oil-titanium-element-cap.html

they even have a porous ceramic disk if you like , this nail head slips on top of the ceramic heat rod.
naturally the titanium would be thinner to absorb heat quicker and not kill battery on a portable vape!!

all oil will sizzle to a degree, but popping and loud sizzling like you put water in hot oil might not be good.
The herc Sizzles slightly and I think its a combination of the heat in the rod expanding ceramic and the teflon outer shell, I have powered it on empty and I hear all kinds of stuff happening.

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral
Moister, and improperly purged oils sizzle. Cant diagnose it as all oils are different.
AARGH!!(In my best Charlie Brown Voice)
I am not saying it's a problem. I was just trying to see if the people who had problems with vapor production heard any noise when heating up. My concentrates are fine, no bad purging, great taste, less filling, etc. I don't need anything diagnosed(at the moment), I am the one getting good production out of my Herc. Was just seeing if I could help diagsnose Blazing OG and Atomsk problems. I may be causing more problems which was not my intent.

I'm taking my Persei and going home now.:doh:

Silver420Surfer,

THC SCIENTIFIC

Manufacturer
AARGH!!(In my best Charlie Brown Voice)
I am not saying it's a problem. I was just trying to see if the people who had problems with vapor production heard any noise when heating up. My concentrates are fine, no bad purging, great taste, less filling, etc. I don't need anything diagnosed(at the moment), I am the one getting good production out of my Herc. Was just seeing if I could help diagsnose Blazing OG and Atomsk problems. I may be causing more problems which was not my intent.

I'm taking my Persei and going home now.:doh:

I understand trust me, i want to figure this out too, but let me take a different approach.

Is the sizzle when its empty? After you clean it?

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral
Just got it like 10 days ago. It's not dirty so I had no plans on cleaning it. Plus it tastes great, works great, maybe I am choosing the wrong word(sizzle), maybe a battery whoosh noise. All I know is I am getting very good performance out of it, using proper techniques I believe, hasn't clogged on me, don't think I am leaking, but will check(based on how much I have loaded versus what I am using up by hitting it).
If my Herc starts to degrade in performance, I will clean it and such. But with it working like a kick ass mass tool of vaporization right now, I am not gonna do anything to chance screwing it up. Atomsk and Blazing OG had the ill performing units not me. They had low vapor production. I have vapor in excess if I so desire. all good here.

Silver420Surfer,
Reactions: BLAZING OG

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
Just got it like 10 days ago. It's not dirty so I had no plans on cleaning it. Plus it tastes great, works great, maybe I am choosing the wrong word(sizzle), maybe a battery whoosh noise. All I know is I am getting very good performance out of it, using proper techniques I believe, hasn't clogged on me, don't think I am leaking, but will check(based on how much I have loaded versus what I am using up by hitting it).
If my Herc starts to degrade in performance, I will clean it and such. But with it working like a kick ass mass tool of vaporization right now, I am not gonna do anything to chance screwing it up. Atomsk and Blazing OG had the ill performing units not me. They had low vapor production. I have vapor in excess if I so desire. all good here.
Vids? :D

Caligula

Maximus
@Silver420Surfer did you check to see if your concentrate has moisture in it? ;)

@Atomsk IMO if it's gurgling when you hit it, it's overloaded. do me a favor before you send it to G... load the Hercules up properly. Saturate the coil and put a chunk of meds on top but don't overload the unit if you can. Do this without trying your preheat trick, just drop the coil in without heating the rod up.

Once the loaded coil is in, firmly press the coil down to make sure proper contract is made at the bottom (also inspect the coil when it's outside to make sure it's completely flat on the bottom and pieces of coil aren't sticking out).

Hit the button for 3 seconds or so (make sure fresh batteries are in there) then VERY SLOWLY draw through the unit. Continue to hit/pulse like you normally would but suck VERY lightly.

I found that with thicker oil and shorter coils, it becomes really easy to suck the coil up off its seat... especially of its overloaded causing not enough air flow to pass thru. If that happens even by the smallest amount, vapour production will be greatly affected.

If you want, I'm free until 4 today. You can bring your unit by my place and I can help trouble shoot if you'd like.

nopartofme

Over the falls, in a barrel
All BHO’s are full melts - i.e. they fully melt with heat. While hash ice, bubble and kief are not full melts, but are concentrates.
CO2 and Puregold I believe are full melts also, but I have no expedience...

Shatter, wax, budder, crumble, honeycomb is the type of BHO. All goes through the shtter stage when can be further processed to the others. That is if done correctly.
There are also relatively high-purity water extracts (bubble hash) that are referred to as "full-melt bubble hash", though.

Atomsk

Floating In My Tin Can
@Atomsk IMO if it's gurgling when you hit it, it's overloaded. do me a favor before you send it to G... load the Hercules up properly. Saturate the coil and put a chunk of meds on top but don't overload the unit if you can. Do this without trying your preheat trick, just drop the coil in without heating the rod up.

If you want, I'm free until 4 today. You can bring your unit by my place and I can help trouble shoot if you'd like.

Hey, thanks for the offer but I'm busy today at that time. I really appreciate it, maybe we can try again later this week.

And trust, I have done every combination of oil amount X coil X hit. That one you detailed above is how my device USED to hit. And I tried that method two days ago to zero avail. Just got my concentrate reallllly burned tasting with no vapor, & oil in the mouthpiece. Oil in the mouthpiece when I'm just loading the buffer.

It'd be nice to see if my coils would hit well in your device.

Top Bottom