Discontinued The Okin by D.M. Pipes

fangorn

Wow… I remember seeing pictures of these beauties years ago. I can’t remember why I did not try to buy one back then. It really looks like my dream vape, both in form and in spirit. Wonderful.
Thanks for reviving this thread :love:

Do you have any idea why Dan stopped making those? I may be totally out of touch, but it seems to me that they are less demanding than Toad and Nomad, and one could dream that he would make a couple batches again? Happy collectors, cash to support the others project, etc.
Dan just wanted to develop another concept and he changed the equipment in his shop to “go into Nomad mode”.
and even if there are quite a few people interested here... it's still not a vaporizer for everyone...
but yes, it took less time to build, that's for sure!

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
well... I guess it won't happen again, right?!
No, it did not. In fact, my luck changed entirely and I scored my first pick of Batch 1 TOADs.
Still in shock over landing this one:

006-front-jpg.13738

Duba

Accessory Maker
Perhaps one day.
I was as desperate as you and then I posted an ad here on FC, received a reply, bought the Okin78 and now I'm part of the little family.

I'm so happy, this device came from other time and is absolutely awesome. I was lucky enough to have a big bag of coal with it so I'm equipped for a long time.
Everything arrived in perfect condition as you can see the cap. I'll be back to tell you more about the sessions.
Thanks @fangorn for pushing me in the right direction, @Dan Morrison for creating this one day, and the seller for being there.

fangorn

Congratulations @Duba
super happy for you!!!
a magnificent piece!!

@seriousTone
you see, two turned into three 😁

and notice to everyone, especially @FlyingLow ... there are still a few Okin and a few Nomads to catch... you have to read the threads carefully... it's archeology work but it's possible... there has users who have purchased two Okins, I'm sure we can find one who is willing to part with one!
the bottle in the sea option worked for me, and for Duba recently...

Electrofever

Woaw ! I don’t post very much, but I must say, seing these relic come back to life, I must say woaw. I guess I have to give it a try. The Okin seems to be such a unique experience ^^ I wish you guys to have a kind of spiritual experience with this vape. Enjoy 🤩

seriousTone

@seriousTone
you see, two turned into three 😁
Hell yeah dude, this is awesome; a christmas miracle! lol
@FlyingLow
Well... I'm leaving my session... this broken coal was very frustrating...

Damn dude yep, I've made many coals like that. That's the main problem about drilling 4 holes too; you really have to give as little pressure as possible.

How did your Christmas session go? Have you gone through all of your coals now?
I was as desperate as you and then I posted an ad here on FC, received a reply, bought the Okin78 and now I'm part of the little family.

I'm so happy, this device came from other time and is absolutely awesome. I was lucky enough to have a big bag of coal with it so I'm equipped for a long time.
Everything arrived in perfect condition as you can see the cap. I'll be back to tell you more about the sessions.
Thanks @fangorn for pushing me in the right direction, @Dan Morrison for creating this one day, and the seller for being there.
WOW, honestly I did not think you would score an Okin, let alone that quickly. NICE congrats!

fangorn

@seriousTone
good to know for the 3 holes argument!
I will also experiment.

I have a coal and a half left. I will savor. I will be very happy when I have my coal reserves but the wait is positive to experience in certain respects.

well, there are 3 of us right now... are we trying to share a "Christmas Okin" in a week, guys? maybe one or two other users can join us? 😁
a photo of the Okin and your chosen drink, taken between the 24th and 25th in our respective time zones? Nothing to gain... just the pleasure of feeling these Okin come to life 💚

Electrofever

I never would have thought one of those Okin would be in France, where I belong too ;) and that it’s owner would be ready to let it go !! maybe another one remains to be found over here, who knows ! Congrats again !

Electrofever

I remember Dan posting about the hole ritual side of vaporizing. I guess with something like an Okin, where you even get to prepare the charcoal, you are really ‘here and now’ when going through your session. Must be very spiritual, like something connecting you to old spirits lol

Electrofever,
Reactions: fangorn

namasteIII

I too scored a classifieds Okin a while back and was as elated as the rest of you.

TBH I don’t use it much because I kinda suck at it haha. I often partially combustion, it’s tough to dial in screen placement + charcoal holes + draw strength.

Plus it seems to like more herb then I do, and It’s not great at multi sessions, although good chance thats user error.

Also broke my drill so only goy a few charchol left before I need to get a new drill.

No negativity tho Okin is sexy as hell and the coolest feeling to use, look at, hold… anything. Charchol power is just so neat. Cringy language but this vape is just the biggest vibe.

Glad for the thread revival and happy for all you who got a long coveted Okin.
-

In case it is useful to anyone here is some info from Dan about the drills.

https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/the-okin-by-d-m-pipes.15370/post-1055530

The drill size itself is a #62

http://www.grobetusa.com/brass-handle-pin-vise-3-1-8-oal-0-to-028-capacity/
one you can buy? Not sure, looks right, but he mentioned you have to get it from him because its a special fit.

*edit think I get it. He gets those handles, attaches them to his wood and mods them to accept #62.

Last edited:

Duba

Accessory Maker
I too scored a classifieds Okin a while back and was as elated as the rest of you.
ah you had also managed to find one, I read messages from you about it.
For sure it needs practice but the experience is so unique that it deserves a little more time. A good supply of coals is important for safe playing.

I remember Dan posting about the hole ritual side of vaporizing. I guess with something like an Okin, where you even get to prepare the charcoal, you are really ‘here and now’ when going through your session. Must be very spiritual, like something connecting you to old spirits lol
That exactly what i feel when i'm in the drilling process

Duba,

seriousTone

The drill size itself is a #62

http://www.grobetusa.com/brass-handle-pin-vise-3-1-8-oal-0-to-028-capacity/
one you can buy? Not sure, looks right, but he mentioned you have to get it from him because its a special fit.

*edit think I get it. He gets those handles, attaches them to his wood and mods them to accept #62.
Dude nice! I'm pretty sure that grobet brass handle is the one I have and what he changed to after doing the wooden handles for a while.

What do you mean by screen placement?

I feel like it's a decent multi session vaporizer but you're right it takes a lot of herb. I only fill the chamber like halfway at most, hit it until the charcoal is done. Then later I give the whole thing a stir and use up another charcoal, the material usually comes out very evenly dark brown.

seriousTone,

namasteIII

Dude nice! I'm pretty sure that grobet brass handle is the one I have and what he changed to after doing the wooden handles for a while.
Just to clarify you mean you received the handle I linked from Dan? That would be great because then I don’t have to bug him to make me one.

What do you mean by screen placement?

The internal screen in the metal chamber that seperates the coal and the herb. Moving it further in or out effects bowl size and heat to a degree.

seriousTone

Just to clarify you mean you received the handle I linked from Dan? That would be great because then I don’t have to bug him to make me one.

The internal screen in the metal chamber that seperates the coal and the herb. Moving it further in or out effects bowl size and heat to a degree.
Yup that's the one that I got.

Holy shit, I had no idea you could move that screen.

Another thing I was thinking about the other day; somehow the screens in the okin stay perfectly clean, I only ever have to blow them out.

I did take out the screen tied to the stem once years ago but it might have been because I combusted, somehow they never get gunked up. Maybe because it doesn't get daily use but by now I'd think they would be.

Last edited:
Top Bottom