Discontinued The Okin by D.M. Pipes

seriousTone

Also a beta...

Damn nice, you get some damn good clouds out of it.
That case is awesome! Personally, I wouldn't dare take my box and sleeve out with me....not sure if and when I will ever stop being extremely cautious with the Okin.

I still use mine but admittedly the usage has dropped off for two reasons...for me this was a great vape to sash in a small group (2-3 people max) and with the pandemic thats just not happening as much at all. Also, I'm running low on charcoal so I'm rationing at this point.

Thanks for pumping life back into this thread...with only 100 or so of these in the wild, it isn't easy. Also, nice pics!

Thanks!
I've never used mine in a session actually, the only other person who has used it is my fiance actually. Mostly cuz I feel like people wouldn't hit it fast enough and I'd have to keep re-lighting. Hopefully I find someone who would appreciate it as much as me and I'll use it with them for sure.

Luckily I'm not near running out of charcoal yet but I was thinking to myself if I should see if Dan still will make some and load up on 500 or so just to be covered for a few years.

Anyone have that instructional handy on how to make the charcoal?

fangorn

Here is a recent painting I did for an Okin box. Thought I would share!

AZetBe8.jpg

LPOLOPK.jpg

Kfj5DNn.jpg

(This picture.... Personnaly i see a Toad !!! 😁)

What ??!!

I just spent the last 2-3 days reading this thread ... an exciting novel ...

I loved it, I learned and understood a lot of things, I plunged into the world of Fc at the time, bla bla bla ...

but ... I don't have an answer to my question ...
well yes, I understood that it was a limited series ...
I think Dan covered the issue and needed other projects ... it was surely not very profitable either ...

But it's frustrating not to see an end message from Dan ... a bit like an auteur film that leaves us on purpose ...

I will tackle the reading of volume 2 ... the Nomad og! I hope to find the famous transition message!

Simply ... @Dan Morrison .... it's not to try to relaunch a production or an okin 2 ... (even if then, I'll be interested). I know your time is reserved for Nomad 2 and Toad ... but this vape is unique ... I mean ... your work is unique ... but this style of vape, with this charcoal heater is unique ... (unless I am mistaken)
and the community would still need this timeless vape and a little against the tide ...

Bravo for this process ... which I imagine will remain legendary for those who were able to participate during these two years!

VAPEHUNTER

Thanks!
I've never used mine in a session actually, the only other person who has used it is my fiance actually. Mostly cuz I feel like people wouldn't hit it fast enough and I'd have to keep re-lighting. Hopefully I find someone who would appreciate it as much as me and I'll use it with them for sure.

Luckily I'm not near running out of charcoal yet but I was thinking to myself if I should see if Dan still will make some and load up on 500 or so just to be covered for a few years.

Anyone have that instructional handy on how to make the charcoal?
Sorry about taking over a year to respond but here is Dan’s tutorial on making charcoal at home.
LINK-> https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/the-okin-by-d-m-pipes.15370/post-739760

el sargantano

Oh man, I knew @Dan Morrison works but not this magical vape!
Was this your start at this steam space, wasn't it? What an stellar entrance!
Hope one day I can afford some of your art pieces!

el sargantano,
Reactions: fangorn

fangorn

damn, @Dan Morrison ...you did it again...you blew me away...
It's just incredible... I loved the experience... I'm... very moved!
Thanks Dan!!!
Thanks to my second favorite seller too 😁

I waited a while before starting... I only had 5 coals in my possession, and my hand drill failed after the 2nd prepared coal... so I waited... all the more plus I couldn't find the getting started guide. but I reread the whole thread for the umpteenth time and I found it!

and then I couldn't stand just admiring it anymore...

I was a little impressed with the start but, after 2 coals, I can say that it's super simple!
and, probably thanks to the fact that I have been using your unregulated radiator for a while... I had two very positive sessions! The second one was better but I really enjoyed the first one too. I got vapor both times, very pleasant clouds, a nice taste - although, tinged by... something to be determined - and... I was higher than I anticipated, after my two sessions!

I just have to light the charcoal well the first time it heats up... and it's going to be crazy!
and I have found that partially blowing the vapor onto the charcoal saves me a little time between each puff.

My God...

It's a crazy experience... it's unlike any other vaporizer!
For over a decade, I celebrated Christmas with one of my best friends... drinking tea and smoking flowers... it was our "Christmas tea". the Okin would have been the perfect piece at that time.

It's going to be the perfect piece for many moments...I can't wait to receive my next package from you with these coals!

I am no longer the same vaper thanks to you and your works. Seriously, this session shook me up!

And then... I needed a container to handle the hot coals... I had the perfect piece... It's a portable ashtray that belonged to my mother... and which I have inherited a few years ago now. I've been trying to find a use for it since I started vaping... but none of my attempts had been conclusive so far... well... I can throw away my coals, put down the Okin, or manage to put the crown on...
and the patina of the ashtray goes really well with the atmosphere of the Okin... It's a secondary benefit, but it makes a lot of sense to me!

You talked about an object without a soul, and the wish to put your soul into your creations... well, in my humble opinion, it's successful!
and I know it's a bit strange... but I put a part of my soul into your vaporizers... It's very very true for the Toad who accompanied me during a particular period. It's happening with the Nomad... and it was instantaneous using the Okin.

Besides... in the photo of the coal... I saw a soul there 😁 even if I don't know who it is connected to!
unless you surprised me by using Harry Potter's videoconferencing system 🤣

well... this is a rather personal post but... as said previously, this session shook me up.

Thanks again Dan... for all that. I arrived a little late to the party... by 9 years!!! this makes my encounter with the Okin even more magical...

I can't wait to use it again and again...and again and again.

Are there any lucky people who still use theirs?

Come on, it's time to take some THC again...

Happy vaping everyone!

seriousTone

Hell yeah dude NICE!! Great meaningful post and welcome to the tiny Okin owners club lol. Hilarious the scared face in your coal.

I still use mine every quarter or so, it's my favorite vape experience no doubt.

I don't mean to hijack your post but here's a video I made last year in tribute to the Okin; I don't believe I shared it here... It's a little long and indulgent lol but maybe you'll appreciate it and anyone else who can't experience it.

fangorn

ahaha I read the Toad / Nomad / Okin threads several times each...
so of course I saw your video, man. But you do well to post it here, I'll see it again! I keep a very good memory !

good to know that you still use the Okin... even if I think you are the only one for whom I was convinced that was the case 😉

Edit :
well I was good to see it again... I like your video even more now that I've experienced a session.
Well done ! The shots, the editing, the sound, the light... all of that feels like Okin! It's really cool.

I think I could put it on loop to fall asleep (that's a compliment!)

Last edited:

seriousTone

Haha thanks a lot man, glad you enjoyed it.
nI'm glad you are enjoying your Okin and arr giving it a good home, most of all using it. I've often wanted to post in this thread but don't just because it's dead, hopefully the two of us can revive it.

You got me itching to use my Okin again but I'm taking a little break from herb right now; first time back is with the Okin.

Sorry about hijacking your post again though with my video.

It's cool as hell Dan is still willing to make more charcoals. I still have a ton but one day I want to make my own but make them about twice as long as Dan does. I remember him saying they might not work as effectively that way, but I usually use two charcoals per bowl so would like to give it a try and some point.

fangorn

Hell yeah dude NICE!! Great meaningful post and welcome to the tiny Okin owners club lol
yeah, thank you very much for this warm welcome message to this privileged group!

Hilarious the scared face in your coal.
yeah, I imagine that with the position of the drilled holes, this must have already happened to other users... but the camera was ready!
and I loved this expressive little guy! Hello from the world of Okin!

I still use mine every quarter or so, it's my favorite vape experience no doubt.

You are one of the last to have written several recent messages and I think you have mentioned Okin a few times on Fc in recent years... so this is the video which shows your respect for this vaporizer and your avatar... I had little doubt that I would find you here 😁

And yes, the experience is indescribable... your video speaks louder than words... even if it lacks the warmth, the smells, and the thoughts that accompany a session!
After a large number of sessions (2 🤣) I find the experience particularly gentle and soothing.
and this steam my friends... this steam... it is incomparable. it's unique. I got one or two very good puffs (the "very" must be put into perspective due to my lack of objectivity) but the taste deteriorated quite quickly after that.
At the moment it's a little unsettling. I can't wait to go back! and do lots of tests! I'm definitely going to try to drill the 3 remaining coals this weekend!

I don't mean to hijack your post but here's a video I made last year in tribute to the Okin

Don't really worry about that, I don't take it badly at all, on the contrary!
I obviously like to show off a little by showing off my treasures, but the idea was still to find a few die-hard users!! and then it's not just any video :bowdown:

I've often wanted to post in this thread but don't just because it's dead, hopefully the two of us can revive it.
I saw your previous messages and yes, I understand the hesitation very well!
But 2 will maybe become 3, then 4... if we manage to get a little message from 10 users who bring out their artifact for a session... that'll be around 10%... that would be super cool!

on this subject... with a view to bringing this thread back to life... it's a little late... but as Dan still produces coals... maybe a user with the soul of an engineer could you find ideas for a DIY wreath? something that would fit a tip dynavap, Anvil or other... I don't think there are many people interested, but we're talking about a unicorn all the same... maybe a few people would be curious to test coal heating!!

I mean... like all of Dan's creations, the Okin is sublime... but it's his ingenuity on the heating system that is incredible! (I draw the parallel with the unregulated heating which powers his last 3 vaporizers).

The challenge here is to use materials that anyone can shape without specialized tools... and which resist the heat of coal...
Dan's first prototype was made of bamboo I think...?

in short... a bottle in the sea!

You got me itching to use my Okin again but I'm taking a little break from herb right now; first time back is with the Okin.
very cool ! I'm waiting for you 😁

It's cool as hell Dan is still willing to make more charcoals. I still have a ton but one day I want to make my own but make them about twice as long as Dan does. I remember him saying they might not work as effectively that way, but I usually use two charcoals per bowl so would like to give it a try and some point.

I asked for 500 coals (even if I haven't had confirmation yet).
at the rate of one use per week... I will have it for 10 years... although I am sure my estimate is wrong.
I will never use only one charcoal per week at the beginning... and certainly less in a year or two... or not, who knows?!

And the idea of making your own coals is so cool...
if you do, you will be the second user (unless I'm mistaken) to follow the process provided by Dan. Just for the effort he put into making a tutorial, you should try it man!

But the last one to try wasn't very happy with his first batch. I won't try it myself... I mean... we all know Dan's perfectionism... and his installation is already in place...
I know I won't even be able to get close to the first coals he presented in this thread. and he experimented a lot after...

You two guys are making me dream ;) some real speaking Okin owners ! Damn, all that is not just a dream ;)
yeah it’s crazy!
but the first post in this thread... and the first design ideas discussed here are from 2014... and I think the last Okin produced was from 2017... Mine, #49 was sent to its first owner in the summer of 2016...

and my first message of interest, at the top of the page72, dates from two years ago!!!

so the hype has died down a bit, hasn't it 🤣
So for me, it's just the hardest unicorn to find...
but I reread this thread and I think that some users might part with their precious... it's just a bit of tedious archeology work...

in short... looking forward to retesting this little Okin...
and come back to exchange here
!

edit: anyone interested, who is passing through Montreal is invited to come and share a session!

Last edited:

fangorn

@Duba just threw a bottle into the sea in the classifieds thread... maybe we'll be joined by a new happy owner one day... 😁

I hope you have an answer @Duba!

fangorn,
  • Love
Reactions: RxPlorer

fangorn

May I ask where you found one for purchase? They rarely come up for sale so congrats.
I was in discussion for a Nomad... and in passing, the seller told me that he also had an Okin...
"what? how? I read that right????!!!!"

fangorn,

seriousTone

Was so bored today I said fuck it to the break and used my Okin a couple times.

What one might not realize, is the Okin is actually a very adequate on demand vape. The charcoal goes out pretty quickly so you can take a few hits and set it down for later. Or as I did, give it a quick dip in water and it still relit very quickly a couple hours later.

Here's today's little charcoal soul, may the creator bless him.

I actually almost have always done 4 holes. Maybe seeing your @fangorn three hole charcoal soul inspired me today.

3 holes does seem to work very nicely as 4 you run the risk of drilling too close to the sides or each other at the center.

Last edited:

fangorn

wow, so cool... I take it you're back 😁
It’s really nice to see an Okin coal in action!! THANKS !

do you prefer to drill 3 central holes, compared to the recommended 4 holes... after experimentation?

I didn't take the time to see if my hand drill repair had worked (in other words if the wood glue was enough 🤣), but I wanted to get started this morning...
tonight I think 😁

fangorn,

seriousTone

So do you have an original wooden hand drill and the drill came loose from the wood?

Is 4 holes the recommended way? For some reason I thought 3 holes was the recommendation.

The 3 holes is working very well and I think I will do it again and then try out 4 holes again and see how I feel as I love experimentation.

Thanks @Duba and I hope you are able to find one!

EDIT

I've thought of some tips, not sure if you need any.

I first inhale very fast for the first hit, once I run out of breath I exhale and immediately start pulling again at the same speed. You might be able to get it done in a single breath but:

About halfway through thr second hit i feel a sudden shift of vapor in my mouth as well as the sound the intake of air makes changes so I slow it down to a very gentle pull as you could be close to combusting.

It's at this point I hear my prongs crackling and I can relax and start taking little puffs almost like a pipe or joint.

Once the charcoal gets to the tongs and won't stay lit, I remove the tip after uts cooled and give the load a stir. After the 2nd charcoal my load is very evenly spent.

Last edited:

fangorn

Hey buddy!

yeah the metal part separated from the wooden part. I'm going to go test it in the next few minutes!

and yes I think the 4 holes were the consensus, but as usual Dan invited testing. 3, 4 or 5 holes should look similar but with nuances!

and thank you for the technique to test! I'm limited with my 3 remaining coals, for now... I feel like I have to ration 😁

It's going to be fireworks from Okin when I receive my package!!!

edit:
ok... the glue lasted for 3 coals... but I messed up two out of three 🫤
Lesson learned...I hope!
I'm going to test with both anyway, but it won't be optimal!!
I will keep the coal well prepared to celebrate Christmas!

Well, and since the photos seem to revive the desire to use the Okin - and I'm sticking them in all the threads - I'm sharing the drilling session with you!

@Duba
not sure if that comforts you much but...
I use your leather tool to rest my Okin aesthetically in my "museum", and I use it to manipulate the crown when it is hot.

Good start to the week, everyone !!
And happy vaping everyone!

Last edited:

fangorn

@FlyingLow
Were you already “in the game” at that time? What happened ??
after... No one could have predicted that he would stop overnight...

Well... I'm leaving my session... this broken coal was very frustrating...
I enjoyed it... 1 minute...
but this minute was worth it 😁
in fact the fact that it was broken... I had 2 out of 4 holes which supplied fresh air for a good while...

I don't think I'll receive my package from Dan before Christmas so... I'll save my precious coal until then... I'll have half a session left before then!

fangorn

ouch... sorry for you!
well... I guess it won't happen again, right?!

I hope some Okin will be released, and interested users can try it...
but I also see the difficulty in parting with it, even if it is no longer used...

fangorn,

StellarLarve

Wow… I remember seeing pictures of these beauties years ago. I can’t remember why I did not try to buy one back then. It really looks like my dream vape, both in form and in spirit. Wonderful.
Thanks for reviving this thread :love:

Do you have any idea why Dan stopped making those? I may be totally out of touch, but it seems to me that they are less demanding than Toad and Nomad, and one could dream that he would make a couple batches again? Happy collectors, cash to support the others project, etc.

StellarLarve,
Reactions: fangorn
Top Bottom