• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Discontinued The Okin by D.M. Pipes

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
I have some lighting tips @NoochieVape

First, for some mysterious reason, charcoal fresh out of the vacuum bag seems harder to light... but after the charcoal sits in a non-vacuum for a day or two it returns to normal.. not sure why.

Second, a regular lighter can only be used to re-light an already used charcoal. Re-lighting is much easier than lighting a fresh charcoal. I agree with you that if used to light a new charcoal, it takes much too long, and the butane taste is very unpleasant as a result. I will have to recheck my tutorial on this point, maybe make some tweaks...

Four holes is always better IMO, i only ever use four now. Combustion is most definitely a result of pulling too hard or for too long. Temp control is all about the inhale. You'll get a sense for how warm the vapor will feel, and when it feels right.

These days I tend to use the same charcoal for a few short sessions, so don't be afraid to explore that either.

When re-lighting with a torch lighter, a few tiny inhales while the torch is just kissing the charcoal will light that sucker super quickly, but does pose a combustion risk.

Since you have one of the newer drills, don't be afraid to really jam the drill bit through the charcoal. I tend to use quite a bit of pressure to drill, so it goes faster.

Thats all for now! Thanks for sharing!

NoochieVape

www.imminentdawning.com
Manufacturer
Those were great tips and all helped greatly. Especially giving the drill some pressure while drilling - goes through in just a couple seconds.

What I'm working on now is evenness, any tips for that? I can't seem to get a completely evenly spent load. I've tried a super fine grind and feel like it helped but the charcoal didn't stay lit as well. Might be because of the super fine grind but also might be because of the charcoal. I'll have to try again to know for sure.

When I use a course grind, it's definitely not even. That being said, I'm almost addicted to the Okin experience. I love using it and how on the verge of combustion it can be - very very satisfying. Plus there are so many different variables to using it that I feel like a scientist coming up with different theories to test the next time I use it, on why it worked the way it did.

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
Glad those tips helped! I should add the bit about the drilling pressure to the tutprial.. I get the sense people don't realize how hard you can jam em' through.

Evenness is a factor of a lot of different things.. Grind consistency definitely matters, and packing weight, and the actual amount loaded..and the position of the chamber screen. If the screen is too close to the charcoal, you'll be more likely to scorch the front of the load before the rear of the load is done.

The grind consistency should be medium-fine, but not fine, or coarse. I lightly tamp down the load to pack it slightly..quite lightly, too hard and youll have airflow problems. You can try not tamping, and leaving a little bit of air space in the chamber.. this will let you shake the material up mid session, or slowly spin the okin in your mouth as you draw to make the chamber act like a tumble dryer, tumblin the load up... This is how I used to use the Okin in the early days, I find it gives a very even vape, but the vapor throughout the seasion is a tad lighter..less dense.. I can imagine why, the hot air has more space to move around and bypass the material. Worth giving a shot if youre after evenness. You can play with air space for that perfect balance.

Session duration plays a role as well, a longer heavier session will heat the steel chamber to the point of conduction vaping temps, this will even it out a bit.

Generally I tend to pack half chamber loads, and do two smaller sessions, vs. one big one. This will give ya more evenness when all is said and done.

And yeah! Its definitely an addictive experience! :)

Thanks again for sharing your experiences so far!

NoochieVape

www.imminentdawning.com
Manufacturer
Had my most successful experience so far, yesterday morning. I wish I would have gotten a picture of the charcoal once it was done. But it actually burned pretty much all the way down past the prongs holding it, eventually the core burned out leaving a large hole in the middle and at this point it was done.

YkvBklQ.jpg

I used my mflb grinder to get a fine grind and packed it maybe 1/3 full with a slight tamp. About halfway down the charcoal went out and I left it - finishing the session a couple hours later and it worked perfectly. Abv was satisfactorily even as well. The only problem I have now is that I feel like I have to look in a mirror so I can see the charcoal and how well/if it's still burning. I also tend to want to take longer puffs than necessary because the vapor was pretty smooth and I couldn't judge just by the feeling in my lungs.

This was the first time I feel like the charcoal was long enough and burned well enough that it finished the whole load - probably has to do with how I drilled them/lit them/how much I put in the chamber - I need to try some more for sure but as a curiosity @Dan Morrison, have you ever tried longer charcoals and how did they work?

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
Nice usage report there @NoochieVape

I have experimented with longer charcoals, but the issue is that the ember gets further and further away from the chamber.. and it's a balancing act of sorts... too long and it's not hot enough, so for the start of a session you're not getting any vapor. I chose this length because I found it to be the longest length possible.

I find that long draws are probably the number one contributing factor to a good burning charcoal. Rarely do I find it has anything to do with how I drill the holes, interestingly.

Thanks for sharing that tid-bit about the MFLB grinder. I find it hard to relay how fine of a grind it should be.. but now at least I can recommend the same grind consistency as the MFLB... gives people a rather well known reference point!

From your photo, I'd say that looks about right for grind consistency.

The "looking in the mirror" part is pretty funny, haha. I have that urge as well sometimes. Usually I'll just put my palm out in front, and gauge the glow on my palm.

I think that if there ever were to be an Okin 2.0, I would make it more like a pipe, so that you can watch the tip of the charcoal glowing.

NoochieVape

www.imminentdawning.com
Manufacturer
Aah yeah that makes total sense that the longer the charcoal the less heat reaching the chamber.

Great idea about holding the end in front of your palm to judge the ember. I seriously can't get enough of this vape. I personally love the experimentation and trial and error. I only get a chance to use it once or twice a week but every time it is so satisfying. I even love the satisfaction of packing everything into the box and sliding it closed. It's such a perfect size and shape for holding or storing in a front shirt pocket or just staring at.

I'd be all over anything pipe like!

ChooChooCharlie

Showed Vito the Okin in its unused state. Today I decided to use it. It wants to be used, I can feel it.

Here's my triumphant first drilling attempt, with a little help from my friend in the background:

U645Zvem.jpg

I combusted first session. Second session too. I'm such a noob.

Third session I really slowed down draw and cut duration when it felt a bit warm. Finished this session, and vapor was trailing off in sync with the charcoal. It self extinquished nicely at the prongs. Looked like a cigar until little breeze blew off the ash:

2PkctRWm.jpg

The better clouds still had a char taste, and the ABV has charred bits:

Nsnny6Bm.jpg

Is this normal? Or am I still in failure mode? TIA for opinions.

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
Slow the draw speed way way down. Take longer draws at this slower speed. Grind finer, tamp the load down slightly.

You may want to push the screen that's in the tip of the metal chamber back into the tip, further away from the charcoal. As it comes, the screen is right at the end of the tip, and for an easier learning curve should be pushed back a bit, this will give you lower temperatures until you're used to the draw speed.

Drill holes should be nearer to the edge of the charcoal. In a sort of "ring" pattern. Having them concentrated in the middle like in your first photo will have all the hot air coming through the center of the chamber. (unless that's the top end of the charcoal, that faces away from the chamber.. in which case that's fine, so long as the holes taper outwards as you get to the other side of the charcoal)

Anyhow, these tips should get you on your way! Don't worry, everyone experiences this learning curve, totally normal to have sub-par performance at first. But practice definitely does come with rewards, I promise!

Thank you for sharing! Let us know how you make out!

Last edited:

Vitolo

Vaporist
Showed Vito the Okin in its unused state. Today I decided to use it. It wants to be used, I can feel it.
Here's my triumphant first drilling attempt, with a little help from my friend in the background:
I combusted first session. Second session too. I'm such a noob.
Third session I really slowed down draw and cut duration when it felt a bit warm. Finished this session, and vapor was trailing off in sync with the charcoal. It self extinquished nicely at the prongs. Looked like a cigar until little breeze blew off the ash:
The better clouds still had a char taste, and the ABV has charred bits:
Is this normal? Or am I still in failure mode? TIA for opinions.
Thanks for showing it to me.
I think you took classy pictures of the set-up!
Drill holes should be nearer to the edge of the charcoal.
I can see the sense in that.
I am definitely interested to hear if you achieve a Zen session with the Okin.

ChooChooCharlie

Thanks for all the tips, Dan! Such rapid response, too.

4th session felt combustion free, and just one charred bit in ABV. Tasted better. Followed your advice and pushed screen back in away from charcoal, finer grind slightly tamped, and drilled holes closer to edge.

Fought getting and keeping it glowing, kept applying torch flame. Tremors don't help with the drilling, but they help spread the flame tip back and forth rapidly:brow:. 5th session I will focus more on establishing a bright, steady glow before attempting a draw.

Slow learner here. Baby steps over charred ABV, fire-walker style.

Edit: Drill skill improving, check. Charcoal glow, check. Combustion, yeah, still check. I'll try again tomorrow. This purple dogbud is better than I thought.

rwIteVHm.jpg

Last edited:

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
Success!! No charring. Thanks for the help, Dan.
This was 8th session. Yes, I'm slow.

6aVDT5cm.jpg

That seems much better! Could be a bit darker, but at least it isn't black! ha. Perfect hole spacing and charcoal burn. I wouldn't change a thing!

I like your funnel filler! Neat! And hey @Vitolo , welcome to the thread!

ChooChooCharlie

Sorry, that pic above was taken under fluorescent lighting with phone -- colors screwy. Just had another larger load session and spread some fresh herb for color comparison, used daylight this time:

JhQDH0jm.jpg

Now gonna try adjusting screen again. The wood end of an S&B brush is a good screen pusher; it fits between the prongs.

That funnel is @Ratchett 's grasshopper loader. So many vape herb chambers are shaped like .22 cal shells, his funnel fits well. I cup the Okin chamber and funnel together with left hand and pinch load with right.

Thanks again for the help, Dan!

AJS

Calm Consistency
Man following this thread when it was first going was so fun. Such a tight knit family grew up within the fibers of this thread and it was a joy to watch. I mostly stood on the sidelines but I still read nearly every word of this thread.
The pictures of this thread really shined though. Almost like...even though you were looking at these pictures for the first time, there was a unique familiarity to it, as if deep down you knew it's always been with you. A feeling of nostalgia so to speak.
The Okin has a way of giving you back something you never knew you lost. One day I will own one. But for now ... let me look through these pictures for the first time again.

Shannock

I have to admit that I was lucky enough to acquire a 2nd hand Okin last year and I have still not used it!

qtK3LFS.jpg

As it wasn't new I thought I would be fine but it has never been used by it's previous owner either, and as the bag of coals is still sealed it feels like breaking the seal on a priceless collectors piece even though I can tell it wants to be used!

P.S. it feels good to bump this thread!

:peace:

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
Damn! It's good to see one of these in the wild! Put it to good use my man!

Were you given the link to the original usage tutorial? If not, HERE, and HERE

If your old bag of charcoal has been knocked around a lot and contains any charcoal dust, I would recommend shaking the charcoals off outside in a strainer. And, for whatever reason, charcoals seem to light better once they have been out of a long-time-sealed bag for a day or so.

If you have any questions, I'm happy to help ya get started! Just send me over a PM.

szai

If your old bag of charcoal has been knocked around a lot and contains any charcoal dust, I would recommend shaking the charcoals off outside in a strainer. And, for whatever reason, charcoals seem to light better once they have been out of a long-time-sealed bag for a day or so.

If you have any questions, I'm happy to help ya get started! Just send me over a PM.

Any of these left or any chance you'll make more?

Anyone wanna sell me there's? I promise I'll try and do something really cool with it if I can.

Last edited:

Shannock

Thanks for the encouragement- I've read this whole thread so many times I hope I can do it justice when I finally break the seal. I love looking at your in progress shots and trying to spot mine!

QvSaYhT.jpg

Do you still produce the coals if requested? I feel privileged to be an Okin owner and can't wait to see the Nomad come to life.

:peace:

Top Bottom