Discontinued The Okin by D.M. Pipes

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
New method for lighting charcoals:

Start, as always, by blowing out through your loaded okin to expell any residual charcoal dust.

Then simply inhale softly through the Okin while kissing the flame of a regular bic lighter to the end of the charcoal. Don't leave the flame on there for too long or it may cause combustion in the chamber. Careful use of the flame here will give you vaporgenie/brick style vaporization, with the charcoal acting like a flame filter/diffuser.

The incoming oxygen from inhaling draws the flame into the drilled air holes, and encourages the glowing ember to start immediately.

This method works much faster than using a torch lighter without inhaling, and only requires the use of a regular bic.

Also, I usually find myself using the same charcoal for 2-3 short one-hitter sessions now. food for thought. An already used charcoal is even quicker to light.

ZC

That sounds fantastic! Will give it a try later. I have some really nice lighters from my combustion days I dont get to use anymore, it'll be nice tk dust them off.

Edit: Works great! A little tricky to figure out the right distance and draw speed, but it's incredibly effective and fast once you get it down. The only con is that it's harder to see what you're doing with this method since you can't get a clear view of the charcoal tip while it's facing away from you, but with practice this will be a non-issue.

Last edited:

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
Dan ...I just received my Bamboo Okin order and find that I must write because I cannot speak, or hardly breathe... the reason being that I AM TONGUE-TIED, SPEECHLESS, and unable to close my eyes!!! Seeing my Okins in all their custom-crafted glory is one thing; effortlessly holding their perfect weightless balance between the fingers makes them all-the-more GLORIOUS! My Okins do not seem to be conceived of this world, but of another that has evolved all of it's life forms to the highest orders of nature & art combined - OUT OF THIS WORLD and WONDROUSLY OF ANOTHER!!!

As compulsively picky and without compromise as I am about all my custom pieces, rarely am I ever this fulfilled with complete and utter satisfaction as I am with my Okins. Bravo!!! ...and THANK YOU!
9d3fn3z.jpg

Last edited:

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
Seriously... the Okin on the left looks like it should be hanging on a museum wall behind glass.
Yes! You are right! It is even more magnificent in person. They both must be seen AND held to be believed, and even then belief feels like a fantasy... they are both equally an ethereal treasure to behold!!! The box is also a meticulous magnificent piece of art that fits the whole package like a velvet glove....

Last edited:

AJS

Calm Consistency
Dan ...I just received my Bamboo Okin order and find that I must write because I cannot speak, or hardly breathe... the reason being that I AM TONGUE-TIED, SPEECHLESS, and unable to close my eyes!!! Seeing my Okins in all their custom-crafted glory is one thing; effortlessly holding their perfect weightless balance between the fingers makes them all-the-more GLORIOUS! My Okins do not seem to be conceived of this world, but of another that has evolved all of it's life forms to the highest orders of nature & art combined - OUT OF THIS WORLD and WONDROUSLY OF ANOTHER!!!

As compulsively picky and without compromise as I am about all my custom pieces, rarely am I ever this fulfilled with complete and utter satisfaction as I am with my Okins. Bravo!!! ...and THANK YOU!
9d3fn3z.jpg
Holy shit those Okins. I was stunned when I saw those pictures, damn!! Too pretty, my god.

Edit: I have searched but can't find. Anyone know the wood of the one on the left? Thanks!
@Snappo ?

Just saw turquoise inlay. Thought that was a color not a wood. Is that painted at all or strictly wood?

Last edited:

AJS

Calm Consistency
@Snappo, :D

@AJS The turquoise is a solid piece of carved turquoise quartz.
Thank you for the response. You should feel so proud being able to craft something like that, truly is inspiring work.

Hey everyone, now that I have a full time job and some stability in my life, I'm re-considering getting an Okin. Not really for tons of use, because I have some vapes that get the job done very well to my liking, but more to look at, hold, and "frame". The occasional use when I'm feeling fancy and have time to relax on the back porch. Few questions first though...

I've considered getting a vape for public use, no illegal activity, just other legal herbs. Can this thing hold a temperature consistent enough to not combust other herbs besides our favorite? Would it even be worth it? I read Dan experimented with Tobacco use, but that's not my fancy...potentially I could if i didn't inhale, but tobacco is just too much for me, looking for something healthier and easier on the mouth. What do you guys think of having this vape strictly for legal herbs? I imagine bringing this to my favorite coffee shop, puncturing some coals and loading up, would make for some wonderful conversations.

Also, if I were to use this for our favorite herb (which is probably what will end up happening), how consistent is the vapor you get? I'm a flavor and consistency guy. I don't need perfection, I just like to really hone in and enjoy my session, makes sense? It does to me, haha. I've used plenty of manual vapes, MFLB, Lotus, Vapman, Milaana...so the learning curve will most likely come natural to me, but only if the vape can produce! (no doubts here, I just have to ask :))

Lastly, it seems everyone gets a different looking unit. Are the units made to your liking? When you reserve your spot through fastest E-Mail, is your Okin already chosen for you? I've seen some amazing looking Okins, and I most certainly want one that will hold a special value to me for a long time, so just wondering how that works..

I think @NickDlow has my most liked Okin. Absolutely beautiful. @Snappo 's are so close though it's hard to compare. Honestly though, every one that I've seen is breathtaking, they all share the same overall beauty, just my preference leads me to those the most ;)

Sorry for the long post, and the questions, I know questions can be disliked sometimes. It's just really hard to keep my eye off of these. Can't even tell you how many pictures I've shared with my friends who are just blown away. Truly amazing.

nickdanger

Collector of Functional Art
Wow! I'm speechless! And that's a rarity... I’ve spent the better part of my evenings over the last couple of weeks reading through this thread. I’m in awe of the absolute earthly beauty of these creations. It has been an amazing journey reading about the evolution of this amazing vaporizer. Thank you @Dan Morrison for allowing us a peek into your shop and your thought processes as you created these museum quality masterpieces. I have to have one of these!

delloy

Well I must be the only one here who prefers the original design to the ones above. Dont mind rhe bamboo as thats per Dans original design. Not keen on the green....sorry ;)

My philosophy is always keep design clean and simple and to my eye it just looks out of proportion. :2c:

Last edited:

hoyo77

Had a long day at work....i get home and i notice a box next to my door...i grab it and set it on the table and did not think nothing of it...after decompressing i realized my Okin had arrived. I unboxed it and was amazed at the craftmanship and detail of the box...i opened the box and was blown away by the pipe itself. I quickly watched the tutorial....i need to practice drilling the charcoals but i am sure i will get it right. So far i love the ritual of this piece...i love vapes that have a ritual to them...like the vapman...i got my charcoal drilled...fucked up the holes but i ran with it. lit it up..blew the charcoal a few times to get it nice and red. I started puffing on this bad boy.....oh my the flavor is quite amazing. at first i was not getting any vapor but i was getting amazing tastes and i noticed my eyelids started doing that thing they do when the buzz sets in...i sipped on it a good five minutes..then the vapor started coming in...LAWD...i love this vape...kinda like walking around with a fat ass cuban stogie sipping on a nice cognac or scotch.... @Dan Morrison you sir are a mighty fine craftsman!!! need to go ahead and get another order of charcoals from you to put in storage....lololol

hoyo77

? on charcoal.....how far do you let it burn down?? once mine gets to the prong thingys, i quit and let it cool off and remove it. Still need to perfect technique, had a few uneven burns but that is probably due to hole placement. I am loving the ritual of preparing the charcoal. I dont think this will be an everyday vape but it will get used a few times a week. Cant wait to rub her down with some of Al's butta...

Madcap79

Jack of all trades, master of none.
? on charcoal.....how far do you let it burn down?? once mine gets to the prong thingys, i quit and let it cool off and remove it. Still need to perfect technique, had a few uneven burns but that is probably due to hole placement. I am loving the ritual of preparing the charcoal. I dont think this will be an everyday vape but it will get used a few times a week. Cant wait to rub her down with some of Al's butta...
Broke mine out recently for a couple sessions. A fantastic vape for sure! Gave mine a good nose greasin'. Ha!

I just burn the charcoals down to the prongs and that takes care of most of the actives in the load (I guess :shrug:). I eat my ABV though so I don't mind it not being throughly cooked.

Did that make sense? :science:

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
how far do you let it burn down??
I've found that the prongs will transfer enough heat (via conduction) from the charcoal to extinguish it at that point. The "three-legged stool of sustained combustion" is heat, oxygen and fuel. The prongs IMO conduct enough heat away from the charcoal to impede the ember and spill the metaphoric stool of combustion.

:peace:

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
Yup.

I let my charcoal burn until it decides to go out, which is always not long after they burn down to the prongs on Daves Head.

Or theres this... :)

9XZrYfb.jpg

EDIT: This is actually working way better than I could have hoped for :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom