The Nomad From Morwood

seriousTone

So fortunate, you got a really great one too, that birch is just something else; seriously can't wait for mine! (Along with everyone else)

Also really excited to get it so I can get to work on designing a nice hard 3d printed case for it. Planning on going all out and maybe wrapping the outside in leather and the inside in guitar case padding ha.

jds

I apologise for the many that are waiting for their creations to arrive, I was in the last batch of Nomad 1’s that had the option of becoming a Nomad 2, I chose the latter so I know some of what you are going through but believe me it’s so worth the wait if not even much more; I have just received that Karelian birch and bark beauty as seen a few posts ago.

I thought when I get it I’d dive right in and eagerly use it but I’m so amazed at what Dan has created I almost can’t, of course I will as not doing so defeats the purpose but when the lines blurred between art and function it becomes a different matter, I guess for those with a Nomad that might make sense, or is it just me?

But in reality the batteries can’t be charging quick enough….

Ha! I never pressed ‘post’, so first session with the Nomad and I’m really blown away by the results, ease of use and just the way this is made, from the heater module to the inserts in the case that snug up the Nomad to perfection, there is no detail overlooked, truly remarkable.

Congratulations on the Nomad! It is one of the most beautiful Nomads I've seen. The birch bark case makes it very unique.

It's a very rugged device, I wouldn't be afraid to use it.

I've been using mine (hickory Nomad II) for over a year now, and it still looks brand new. In fact, I think it will look even better with some patina, as wood generally does, but it takes a long time to develop. Maybe in another 10 years I will be able to post pictures of my nice used Nomad.

Zuhdj

Charles Mingus
Does anyone have any new thoughts or opinions on their nomad I after having it for a while? Function now that you've mastered your technique? Battery life? How's UOUR wood lookin? And MOST importantly, what is your nomadic use case? Are you a hiker? A fisher? Or maybe it's in your vape altar. I'm just thinking about mine and wondering how I might use it and what it'll be like. Help me live vicariously.

jds

First update of the year today. It was very interesting to see how the side pulls are made. It's great seeing this batch coming together one part at a time! It always surprises me how much work is put into every little detail.

seriousTone

First update of the year today. It was very interesting to see how the side pulls are made. It's great seeing this batch coming together one part at a time! It always surprises me how much work is put into every little detail.
I think it was the second update but otherwise I agree!

Modnote: Edited to remove reply from quote tags

Last edited by a moderator:
seriousTone,
Reactions: jds

CleanHippie

Hah! Your assumption is correct. I'm in it for the love of the game at this point.

Thank you so much for taking the time to look through the thread! And that's very kind of you to say! :)

Here's a Nomad II package I've been working on for a while, the case is a one-off, likely won't be making any more. It was a fun experiment for sure!

I posted this over on IG, and here's what I said over there:

"The case is constructed from multiple thin layers of bark, glued and wrapped around a wooden form to create a stiff laminate shell. This shell is then capped with softwood bottom and lid. The lid makes a very satisfying "POP" sound when removed.

When the lid is closed, a leather pad seals the top of the glass stem. Leather pads inside the case keep the Nomad II secure. The kakishibu dyed cord can be wrapped around the case for added security.

Every time the case is opened, you're greeted by a wonderful birch bark scent."

DSCF9729.jpg

DSCF9727.jpg

DSCF9725.jpg

DSCF9723.jpg

DSCF9724.jpg

DSCF9730.jpg
I wasn't ready for this...absolutely incredible.

seriousTone

You Can Do It GIF by chuber channel
we're almost put together at least!

I know Dan said shaping the Nomads in the past took a ton of time but he found a way to make it a lot faster.

jds

You Can Do It GIF by chuber channel
we're almost put together at least!

I know Dan said shaping the Nomads in the past took a ton of time but he found a way to make it a lot faster.

I'm actually really curious about this and the whole process of making the Nomads in general. I would love to see an update about all the improvements he's made to his workflow (jigs, shaping, etc.) in the past few years, going from batch 1 to batch 2. I know he spoke about some of it here and there in some updates he's made, but I'd like some kind of big picture update.

smeg_it

I'm on both list. I've enjoyed the toad lotteries, and look forward to them, even though I haven't won yet (next time, I'll be lucky :p). It's fun, you get to see the beautiful results, and it makes you feel like you're still in there somewhere, and not forgotten :) in the massive demand

I don't mind waiting, I feel like Dan is the Vape Da Vinci, but even better than Leonardo, because Leonardo served wealthy patrons, which we all know Dan could do. Instead, he's let us commoners have a chance at owning a masterpiece.

I'm pretty sure I'll never own a Da Vinci, but I have a shot at an authentic Morrison masterpiece!

cx714

Unregulated Tendencies
I'm pretty sure I'll never own a Da Vinci, but I have a shot at an authentic Morrison masterpiece!
Never say never!

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
I'm actually really curious about this and the whole process of making the Nomads in general. I would love to see an update about all the improvements he's made to his workflow (jigs, shaping, etc.) in the past few years, going from batch 1 to batch 2. I know he spoke about some of it here and there in some updates he's made, but I'd like some kind of big picture update.

That's a great idea! I think I'll do that for one of the next updates... sort of a general overview of what went into improving the process from prototypes to now, there has been a lot of little things that I think would be neat to compile into one place.

@KeroZen , Your comment reminded me about how relieved I am that the magnets seem to be working great, just as I had hoped. So far I have had zero magnet failures in the Nomads or Toads. I chalk this up to glue prep, using the right glue, and carving grooves into the holes. I really think these little details help with magnets glued into holes, which is a known "iffy" design element.

Top Bottom