The Nomad From Morwood

Vaporware

@Dan Morrison That all sounds good. :)

Rectangular is probably a good way to go, and I agree I’d like it to be something easy to manage wherever you are without taking a lot of care and precision to load. That’s one of the biggest issues people still have with good portables, and one of the main reasons for the popularity of dosing capsules.

I would still consider some kind of liners though, because my experience with the wooden Dynastash has been quickly drying herb that slowly leaks out in my pocket. A rubber stopper may address most of that, but I think wood will always collect and hold onto a lot of the smaller particles.

I guess if it’s used a lot it’ll eventually be holding onto as much as it can though, so if the stopper keeps the flower in and doesn’t make it super dry super fast it may be okay. It’s just my only experience with storing flower in wood has been with an imperfect design. To be fair to them, it’s the same design smokers have been using for many years, so... :shrug:

I guess if it was sanded pretty finely that could keep it from holding onto much. If you’re not planning to use a liner you might want to do some testing to see what you think. :)

Whatever you put together, I’m sure it’ll be great!

namasteIII

Ohhh its so interesting how those first three nomad selves all had such a similar painterly style, and that I haven't really seen on previous sleeves. Sorta very smooth and defined and a lot more like a painting on a canvas. Also those funky style stem collars were really nice.

Damn that one with the face is awesome too.

Super great to see, new tech sounds right on as well.

This thread and the Nomad itself feel lots different when you finally own it. In a way it's profound to wait so long for something and finally get it.

Great stuff!

disGRUNTled

giphy.gif

tenor.gif

Vaporware

This thread is suspiciously calm. I believe there are over 100 Nomads in the wild right now, how comes you guys are all so quiet? :clap:

I’m still waiting on mine (the most complicated custom Nomad I), but I’m hoping @disGRUNTled gets his first. Wouldn’t want to seen cartel hit-men after Dan! :lol:

I expect to be posting more often when I have mine, and I’m also working on ideas that some of you would be interested in, but it’ll probably be a while before I post about that stuff even if it works out... :sherlock:

cpk

Brother of the Leaf
Well I received Nomad #056 a couple of weeks ago. I have just been admiring it and I am amazed at the craftsmanship this has. I fired up a bowl with glass stem and glass beads and it was very nice. I am very familiar with unregulated mechanical vapes so it wasn't too hard to adapt to the low heater. This heater can sneak up on you, it seems to retain a lot of heat so no need to ride the button. I upgraded to the blackwood stem and also ordered the case. They are both well worth it. The stem is amazingly very slim and slides in and out with ease. The case is well thought out and very soft and cushiony. Dan also sends a good supply of what you need to blaze on.
2pVRdAp.jpg

E0P6wrK.jpg

rB6pxxj.jpg

This was a long journey but well worth the wait. I tip my hat to Dan Morrison!

Last edited:

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
@cpk Thank you!

Grind Consistency: I had originally thought that a fine-medium grind was best for both heaters.. but for those out there with the high heaters... a super coarse grind works amazingly well.

Instead of using a grinder, I break off the tiny 'flower petals', trying my best to keep the leafy bits intact. I then loosely pack these bits with tons of airspace between the bits. My logic here is that all of the surfaces exposed to the airflow are covered in trichomes... and there are less broken edges exposing the interior surfaces of the plant matter... which we don't really need to extract.

If the flower you have is fluffy enough, even whole chunks work great, just make sure there is plenty of airflow around the outside of the chunk.

I'm finding that with convection... the finer the grind, the more careful you need to be about avoiding center hot spotting.

With a super coarse grind and tons of air pockets, it seems effortless to achieve even heating.

I've wondered abput this relationship between draw speed and central hot spotting as well. The faster the air speed, the more that air wants to flow through the center of a tube.

I think physics can help us here. This image doesn't explain everything going on...since we also have the herb flower particles interfering with the flow... but I think it explains most of it.

1615305041009.png

Ideally you want a flat velocity profile over the entire cross section of a tube (or herb chamber in this case).

To flatten the velocity profile, you can decrease air speed, smooth side walls, and create turbulent flow.

In the Nomad, the double layer mesh diffuser before the herb chamber helps create turbulent flow, but I am still surprised how quickly airflow can turn more laminar. This is why it seems best to have the herb as close as possible to the diffuser mesh. Pushing a herb load up into the stem will have a drastic effect on hot spotting, the further you go, the worse it gets, because the more laminar the air flow will be.

The low heater, which operates with a slower draw speed, helps to keep the flow less laminar by reducing air velocity. This is my theory for why its slightly easier to use with a fine grind.

My theory on the fine grind is that it encourages laminar flow. As air travels through a load of finely packed material, you can clearly see the heat pattern starting wide on the top surface, then narrowing near the bottom of the chamber. It seems to be that air just wants to cencentrate into the center while moving through this type of load.

The coarser grinds seem to introduce enough chaos that it better maintains turbulent flow, even at higher velocities. This is why I would recommend using a coarser grind with the high heat, which operates at a higher inhale speed.

Coarse grind with low heater is also great, but there is a balancing act to strike... sometimes the greater surface area provided by a finer grind can be good... and a finer grind will have a different flavor profile... so this all comes down to personal preference.

Of course, this can all be compensated for with some usage technique changes.... but what I am really excited about... is finding that perfect balance between heater, inhale speed, herb packing method, and chamber geometry. When the right balance is struck, I believe unregulated can feel more effortless.... not to mention the superb vapor quality that comes with perfectly even convection heat application!

Anyhow... just some thoughts, It's all a work in progress!

kadjo

@cpk Thank you!

Grind Consistency: I had originally thought that a fine-medium grind was best for both heaters.. but for those out there with the high heaters... a super coarse grind works amazingly well.

Instead of using a grinder, I break off the tiny 'flower petals', trying my best to keep the leafy bits intact. I then loosely pack these bits with tons of airspace between the bits. My logic here is that all of the surfaces exposed to the airflow are covered in trichomes... and there are less broken edges exposing the interior surfaces of the plant matter... which we don't really need to extract.

If the flower you have is fluffy enough, even whole chunks work great, just make sure there is plenty of airflow around the outside of the chunk.

I'm finding that with convection... the finer the grind, the more careful you need to be about avoiding center hot spotting.

With a super coarse grind and tons of air pockets, it seems effortless to achieve even heating.

I've wondered abput this relationship between draw speed and central hot spotting as well. The faster the air speed, the more that air wants to flow through the center of a tube.

I think physics can help us here. This image doesn't explain everything going on...since we also have the herb flower particles interfering with the flow... but I think it explains most of it.

View attachment 6361

Ideally you want a flat velocity profile over the entire cross section of a tube (or herb chamber in this case).

To flatten the velocity profile, you can decrease air speed, smooth side walls, and create turbulent flow.

In the Nomad, the double layer mesh diffuser before the herb chamber helps create turbulent flow, but I am still surprised how quickly airflow can turn more laminar. This is why it seems best to have the herb as close as possible to the diffuser mesh. Pushing a herb load up into the stem will have a drastic effect on hot spotting, the further you go, the worse it gets, because the more laminar the air flow will be.

The low heater, which operates with a slower draw speed, helps to keep the flow less laminar by reducing air velocity. This is my theory for why its slightly easier to use with a fine grind.

My theory on the fine grind is that it encourages laminar flow. As air travels through a load of finely packed material, you can clearly see the heat pattern starting wide on the top surface, then narrowing near the bottom of the chamber. It seems to be that air just wants to cencentrate into the center while moving through this type of load.

The coarser grinds seem to introduce enough chaos that it better maintains turbulent flow, even at higher velocities. This is why I would recommend using a coarser grind with the high heat, which operates at a higher inhale speed.

Coarse grind with low heater is also great, but there is a balancing act to strike... sometimes the greater surface area provided by a finer grind can be good... and a finer grind will have a different flavor profile... so this all comes down to personal preference.

Of course, this can all be compensated for with some usage technique changes.... but what I am really excited about... is finding that perfect balance between heater, inhale speed, herb packing method, and chamber geometry. When the right balance is struck, I believe unregulated can feel more effortless.... not to mention the superb vapor quality that comes with perfectly even convection heat application!

Anyhow... just some thoughts, It's all a work in progress!
Been playing around with this. It has helped a lot for the low heater. The high heater can overshoot quickly.

Also thanks for the thorough and thoughtful post. I see the application of this information across many vapes!

flammy

Hey! Just checking in. I keep an eye on this thread, pretty much daily... but I don't always have time to reply. Been working my newts off trying to finish up both Nomad I custom painted sleeves, and Nomad IIs. Figured I would dump some photos.

View attachment 6033View attachment 6034View attachment 6035View attachment 6036View attachment 6037View attachment 6038View attachment 6039View attachment 6040View attachment 6041View attachment 6042
I've been away from FC and this thread for too long....these are gorgeous. Can't wait to see the first batch of Nomad 2!

Last edited:

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
Ditto about hopping on the wait list—these look absolutely gorgeous! Does anyone have a guesstimate as to how long it is atm? Just wondering if it’s like the heat island (I’m told two years) where I would plan to buy something to tide me over 🙂

gordontreeman,
Reactions: Mr. Me2

Vapefanatic

Ditto about hopping on the wait list—these look absolutely gorgeous! Does anyone have a guesstimate as to how long it is atm? Just wondering if it’s like the heat island (I’m told two years) where I would plan to buy something to tide me over 🙂
I've been on the Nomad list for 4-5 months. I have no Nomad but I've got 3 Heat Islands :rofl: :rofl: . Unless you want a highly customized unit, HIs don't take too long. Try contacting Alan.

Nomads are works of art and cannot be rushed as I've been made to understand. I'm just surprised no one has tried selling their Nomad spots on the classifieds :lol::lol:

Mr. Me2

Well I’ll continue to gush about my Nomad II. I’m using it with the low heater, a wood stem from @Dan Morrison, and one of his basket screens pushed in. I ordered one of his new high heater’s just because.

This thing works unbelievably great and looks even better. True functional art. I may have to test how far I can push the screen in, fully load, and still get full extraction.

Just thought I’d give an update while we wait for new pictures and others can weigh in with their new toy.

Top Bottom