Discontinued The NEO by Prrl Labs

floribud

Just pulled out the calipher, 15mm ID and the top metal piece is 25mm wide... will that work?

Yes I don't smoke at all. But when I saw this pipe, I just felt like I wanted to support them, because it's an intriguing deign. Anyway can't wait... preordered last month ... Anyway I'm a huge fan of cooling as sometime I like to take several draws in row. i've been using vaporizers(atomizers) for years and at least the way I use them, most could benefit from additional cooling.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I think the bowl might be too small, as Prrl Labs says it doesn't work with one-hitter .... "yet"

Ah yeah that's what it looks like, so there would be a gap between the glass of the neo and the bowl making it not an air tight seal... I would grab one of these but I am not sure it would be useful for any of my vapes lol

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: pomogirl

Drug

I've been doing some looking around for pipes myself as well. I came across this Marley Natural piece:

Spoonpipe_1024x1024.jpg

The bowl's ID, from what I gather, is 17mm. But there's a pretty broad rim which tapers down a bit at the inner edge. Naturally it's got a price tag that matches the name. And the dark walnut wood that's used is not ideal, though the vapor might be plenty cooled down once it passes through. Its MSRP is €/$ 60, but can be found for less (at least in EU). Despite its shortcomings, I'm kind of charmed by this piece, so if a good deal comes along I might have to indulge. There's also an imitation that's sold from China. It ditches the wood for aluminum, which isn't necessarily an improvement over the walnut. But it's also available for around €/$ 10-15.

floribud

A basic J-hook with various combustion bowls would be nice too!
Or any bong with a combustion bowl! So glad I kept the 18mm combustion bowl for my DHGate Matrix! Cant wait to hit that thing, Curius how it will differ from my Vivante XsGO which I use almost exclusively with my bong... love that combo.

But was looking through some old stuff ... remember Taboo from the Brady Bunch Hawaian Adventure? Well back in the late 80s I found this guy at a Dead show, probably Dear Creek, reminded me of Taboo in a pipe. He served me fine throughout my 20s, retired in my 30s and now hoping to bring him back to life with the Neo.... looks like I might need to drill him out again...

gVlx4Va.jpg

Last edited:

Black_Prrl

Manufacturer of the Neo and Terp Surfer
Manufacturer
Or any bong with a combustion bowl! So glad I kept the 18mm combustion bowl for my DHGate Matrix! Cant wait to hit that thing, Curius how it will differ from my Vivante XsGO which I use almost exclusively with my bong... love that combo.

But was looking through some old stuff ... remember Taboo from the Brady Bunch Hawaian Adventure? Well back in the late 80s I found this guy at a Dead show, probably Dear Creek, reminded me of Taboo in a pipe. He served me fine throughout my 20s, retired in my 30s and now hoping to bring him back to life with the Neo.... looks like I might need to drill him out again...

gVlx4Va.jpg
@floribud, Taboo looks like he has a few stories to tell... All our favorite bowls do, don't they? 😎

If y'all have wood pipes and want to prep the bowl to make a great seal, take a 20mm (or 3/4") forstner bit and make yourself a nice, flat shelf around the rim of your bowl. The Neo will nestle nicely into that. A screen installed in the bottom will also make it easier to manage your herb when it dries out and has a finer grain size later in the bowl.

@Drug, that Marley spoon is looking sharp! I can't wait to see the glow in that bowl!

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
I've been doing some looking around for pipes myself as well. I came across this Marley Natural piece:

Spoonpipe_1024x1024.jpg

The bowl's ID, from what I gather, is 17mm. But there's a pretty broad rim which tapers down a bit at the inner edge. Naturally it's got a price tag that matches the name. And the dark walnut wood that's used is not ideal, though the vapor might be plenty cooled down once it passes through. Its MSRP is €/$ 60, but can be found for less (at least in EU). Despite its shortcomings, I'm kind of charmed by this piece, so if a good deal comes along I might have to indulge. There's also an imitation that's sold from China. It ditches the wood for aluminum, which isn't necessarily an improvement over the walnut. But it's also available for around €/$ 10-15.

They also make a bubbler in the same style. Back when I was looking for my first glass piece to buy ever (for combusting) I was very close to getting it, but couldn't find it in stock anywhere and it was stupidly expensive I thought. I really just liked the way it looked. I think they're even modular and could be used dry/in a hand pipe configuration... cant remember. Its been a while

Drug

They also make a bubbler in the same style. Back when I was looking for my first glass piece to buy ever (for combusting) I was very close to getting it, but couldn't find it in stock anywhere and it was stupidly expensive I thought. I really just liked the way it looked. I think they're even modular and could be used dry/in a hand pipe configuration... cant remember. Its been a while
I came across that one as well. Is indeed rather expensive plus I read it has some glued inner part that is prone to getting loose. They also have a bubbler model entirely made of glass which looks good in smoked color.

Dargin B

I think @Black_Prrl posted a link to this: https://hemsongoods.com/products/classic-pipe
I went out of town and ended up combusting in it..I haven't hit a pipe in forever and it was enjoyable (this pipe doesn't have a carb). The Hemson bag is also very nice, and I see myself buying more of their high quality stuff.

I am kinda pumped to get back into pipes, and away from brittle portables with too many parts. This could be the best portable for me since it's back to the basics: lighter and pipe. I have only seen "sipping" vids, so I am hoping that it can torch fat hits as well.

Dargin B,
Reactions: pomogirl

Black_Prrl

Manufacturer
Any updates on how production is going?
Thanks for checking in, @tr33sPlease... we're sending out an email update in the next day or two to those who pre-ordered. The bottom line is that we heard from the manufacturer(s) this week and now aren't expecting them to land in the US until Nov 21, a 2-week delay from original schedule. Ugh! This will give a tight turnaround to get them out to folks by (US) Thanksgiving.

The good news is that tooling is finished for the quartz chimneys, the silicone adapter, and the electrical structures/fins/connector. Tooling is in stage 2 of 3 for the ceramics. The post-mold processing is what will take the extra time, however--something like 20 steps. And, we just finalized the firmware protocols for the mod and are conducting final testing. We also added a new mica thermal shield between the fins and the mod to further protect the mod electronics. Overheating hasn't been an issue, but we wanted to be extra cautious. Packaging design was finalized a couple of days ago, and so that should be getting produced fairly soon.

@Dargin B, you will definitely be able to hit your bowl as hard as you'd like with the Neo. I don't think that videos we've posted really convey the density very well. I may also just be a wimp... There is variation in extraction efficiency with different bowls, different herbs (moisture, terp & THC/CBD %, bud density, etc), different breathing techniques, and how the bowl is packed. Simple to dial in after a little practice, yet also quite nuanced. The rituals associated with a pipe, and being able to interact with your weed is really quite a change as well--familiar on the one hand, but weird not to feel the lung tightness nor burn of smoke. Looking forward to nerding out with folks and getting your thoughts! 🤓

Oden

Hello the Prrl Labs team!
Do you have any wooden pipes to advise us to be able to use the Neo in the best possible way?
From what I understand the diameter in centimeters of the opening of the Neo is 19mm, is that right?
So what size of the internal hearth of the pipe do we recommend? 2, 2.2 or 2.4?
What will be the maximum wattage of the Neo? Will we have massive tears like the best portable vaporizers? Like Tetra P80, splinter z, tinymight ... I imagine it will be a vaporizer that will look like unregulated vaporizer like milaana to have the right suction technique and found the right temperature to extract the vapor from our herbs ?
Based on your experience with the Neo vaporizer, what type of vaporizer have you tried in your life?
I can't wait to try it out.
The only problem I have is not to make a mistake on the choice of the wooden pipe that I will have to get to start the experience with this pretty Neo which has a very beautiful design 😍

Black_Prrl

Manufacturer
@Oden, I appreciate your enthusiasm and questions! The chimney is 19mm OD, 16.6mm ID (1.2mm wall thickness). Our Ember pipes had a 20mm inset rim around a 5/8"diameter bore (mixing units, I know...). Max wattage is 34, but frankly that's way too much when the Neo and the bowl are warmed up... I tend to use it down around 24-26W with a longer preheat, but everyone will have their own preferences depending on their draw, their gear, and how toasted they like their herb.

As for other equipment, y'all here are the experts. There are several quality devices that were created out of love for this plant and a desire to fuck combustion...#respect! I'm looking forward to hearing what you think!

btw, here's a short teaser of the Neo heating up... it's a bit shaky, but we're looking forward to trying to do some close-ups through the chimney. Would love to do some trichome melts! The nug in there was a fresh picked one. It took a while to drive off the water, but it ended up tasting great!

Last edited:

C No Ego

so, the last few years I hve been saving all vape reclaim when my parts become oil clogged from vape residue ... my vape of choice has been a glass piece that hold herb and that only gets dirty ... I drop that glass in solvent and shake it up some whie cleaning it and save all solvent to evaporate later fro the reclaim ... why I mentioning this is there anyway to use this new model vape with something like that that can be easilly cleaned fro reclaim? I mean I do not waste a drop of goddies in this process ... a wooden pipe would not reclaim well unfortunately

Black_Prrl

Manufacturer
@C No Ego, first, Wow!, what dedication! ;-)

You raise a great point! The accumulation of vaping residue is due to condensation of the terpenes, cannabinoids, and flavonoids that are in the vapor stream. That condensation happens most rapidly when the vapor hits cool, thermally conductive surfaces. This is why many mass market vaporizers have residues that accumulate in their air pathway and why the ones with metal pathways get gunky faster than glass. It's also one of the reasons why bong water gets dirty, in addition to the combustion tars and ash particles if you're not vaping from them.

Here are the thermal conductivities (in W/m-K) of some common materials. Note, lower numbers will generally have less condensation at the same temps:
Alumina ceramic - 18 (different ceramics vary widely, but alumina is most common)
Stainless steel: 16
Boro glass: 1.05
Water: 0.6
Wood: 0.13 (mahogany--all woods are different and vary with direction of grain)

So, wood is ~10 times less conductive than glass, and does not tend to accumulate much residue at all. At least, that is what our experience with the Ember pipes has shown. This means that instead of your yummies condensing, you're getting most of them in your inhalation. This is also one of the reasons why we don't recommend using metal pipes (in addition to it sucking off much of the heat energy).

[random side comment: when smoking from a wood pipe, you get the tars from combustion -- those are heavier than the terps and accumulate more rapidly]

What have others seen with the different devices out there?

Top Bottom