'The Misty Log' - DIY wooden Log Vaporizer

brainiac

log wrangler
Hmm.. so you'd need a log with a heater cover/core diameter with either a 12mm external diameter so that the stem could go over the heater cover or with a 14mm internal diameter so that the stem could go into the heater cover. So to get this to work you'd have to buy a length of stainless steel tubing with an internal diameter that will fit the Arizer stem and then build a log to take it. The cost of doing this would almost certainly outweigh the cost of buying two sets of stems - not to mention the work involved.

My advice would be just to settle for two sets of stems, however, if there is some workaround on this the guy who'd know is @blokenoname but he's taking a break atm. I'll pm him anyway and hope for a response.

newSSE

Thanks so much for the reply. It just feels silly to have two sets of nearly identical but slightly different glass stems, but what you're saying makes sense. I've been playing around with the idea of building a vape for a while and this seemed like a good opportunity - but you're right in time at least it will outweigh everything and possibly in material cost as well. I'll think about it I guess, and hit up my wood-electronic friend to see what he thinks.

How long has it taken you ents to get a first prototype together and how many prototypes did it take for you to be satisfied? Approximate cost if that's at all something you can estimate?

edit: an Enano would be at the lowest price point 240$ CAD pre-tax without a WPA or extra stems, so it seems like a pretty decent budget to build/rebuild a couple options if I can reuse some parts between prototypes. Every other log I think would have to be imported at a higher cost. Woodscents is 400$ CAD.

Last edited:
newSSE,

CanikUser19

Trenchtown Rock
Thanks so much for the reply. It just feels silly to have two sets of nearly identical but slightly different glass stems, but what you're saying makes sense. I've been playing around with the idea of building a vape for a while and this seemed like a good opportunity - but you're right in time at least it will outweigh everything and possibly in material cost as well. I'll think about it I guess, and hit up my wood-electronic friend to see what he thinks.

How long has it taken you ents to get a first prototype together and how many prototypes did it take for you to be satisfied? Approximate cost if that's at all something you can estimate?

edit: an Enano would be at the lowest price point 240$ CAD pre-tax without a WPA or extra stems, so it seems like a pretty decent budget to build/rebuild a couple options if I can reuse some parts between prototypes. Every other log I think would have to be imported at a higher cost. Woodscents is 400$ CAD.
Sent you a DM.

CanikUser19,
Reactions: newSSE

darkstar72

@newSSE Alan with Heat Island makes a log vape with 7/16" heater cover that he says works well with the arizer stems. The problem I see is that the airizer is more conduction and a log is more convection. So you may end up enjoying the convention high more and may also want a j-hook to cool the hotter vapor from the log. Logs are easy to build and fun. Not very expensive but the tooling adds up. I found a drill press on Craig's list for $25. I used wood from Bell Forest, recommend their cherry 1 3/4" dowel (a 12" long dowel makes three logs) and a 1 1/8 firstner bit for the well. Good luck.
Also Alan sells square logs for around $100 or $125. Definitely get a wpa. Email him asking if he has any square ones with the 7/16" heater on hand / in stock (custom work may be what he prefers to do). It may take a week or more for the reply but the guy's work is good. I think a log is a solid cannabis tool that works well and doesn't break easy. Reach out to him or build your own.
To answer your questions: first one worked. Maybe $200-250 in tools. Cost per log and wpa I build is around $25-30. Have made a handful and loaned one to a friend in hopes he'd offer $20-30 but he never used it. I have a heat island log and copied it. The maker has been transparent on the HI thread with images and such on how a lot of it works. I prefer using the ones I have made, identical innards. For me the original style logs have a 3/8" heater cover which mates with an herb bowl that goes over or inside the heater cover. The bowls that slide in are excellent at being efficient (conserving herb / getting high with less).

Last edited:

newSSE

Thanks so much @darkstar72! I didn't realize the HI have a size that should fit with the Arizer stems, that's awesome. I'll reach out to Alan through the address on his website.

Your response* is also encouraging in terms of building my own! Will definitely have a look at the Bell Forest. I am kind of tempted to try making my own now, but it depends on if a career change I'm trying to do works out so that I can have more free time to do the project. Fingers crossed! Maybe I'll try to do one regardless.

For liking the convection more, you mean it would be a problem because I would start liking the Arizer less? :p

Thanks again for responding!

Last edited:

darkstar72

For liking the convection more, you mean it would be a problem because I would start liking the Arizer less?
Yeah, you may like it less. I had a solo 2 but sold it. I prefer the log but that's a preference. We're all different. I did try the log with a 10 or 12" glass tube / stem recently but I prefer the dhgate dimpled jhook a lot more for the cooling it provides.

darkstar72,

newSSE

Yeah, you may like it less. I had a solo 2 but sold it. I prefer the log but that's a preference. We're all different. I did try the log with a 10 or 12" glass tube / stem recently but I prefer the dhgate dimpled jhook a lot more for the cooling it provides.

Yeah makes sense. I had an LSV and before I cracked the ceramic heater it was definitely a harder hitter than the Arizer. Got the Arizer Air SE as a good quality budget vape for on the go cause I have to use outside due to my current living situation. With my anticipated career change, I'll be able to have a desktop again but I think log would be better to keep my tolerance down cause the LSV bowl was quite big. I anticipate being pretty happy with a log, I've been wanting one for years!

brainiac

log wrangler
My wood supplier recently got in some stock of Leopardwood so thought I'd see if it would suit a log. Here's the result.

Leopard-on-table.jpg
Leopard-side-2.jpg

The 'leopard' patterning is mainly on two sides but the whole log is very attractive. Note the jack connector flush with the side. The vase style shape - waisted near the top and slightly cut in at the base - worked out well, I think, and fits very comfortably in the hand.

Leopard-top-2-sharp.jpg
Leopard-top-sharp.jpg

Really lovely endgrain. This one is another of my IR halogen units. The image on the right shows a gentle, warm red glow shining through 5 folded layers of #200 ss mesh sandwiched between two debris screens. Heat up time is about 3 minutes. The heater covers I make myself but it's not my favourite part of the build. I'd buy them in if I could find a supplier.

Leopardwood-and-stem-on-slate.jpg
Leopard-and-stem-on-table.jpg

Made a matching stem for it. It has a brown glass tip but I'm not sure I'd recommend glass tips for general use as they're prone to breaking when removed from the stem for cleaning. Also the screen is held in place by friction alone and needs frequent readjustment. I don't mind having to do that but some people would find it a faff.

Leopard-base.jpg

Leather base cover of a similar hue to the wood and the overall effect is very pleasing.

There's also a Camelthorn unit in the works which should be finished soon.
Good logging all.
:peace:

coolbreeze

My wood supplier recently got in some stock of Leopardwood so thought I'd see if it would suit a log. Here's the result.

Leopard-on-table.jpg
Leopard-side-2.jpg

The 'leopard' patterning is mainly on two sides but the whole log is very attractive. Note the jack connector flush with the side. The vase style shape - waisted near the top and slightly cut in at the base - worked out well, I think, and fits very comfortably in the hand.

Leopard-top-2-sharp.jpg
Leopard-top-sharp.jpg

Really lovely endgrain. This one is another of my IR halogen units. The image on the right shows a gentle, warm red glow shining through 5 folded layers of #200 ss mesh sandwiched between two debris screens. Heat up time is about 3 minutes. The heater covers I make myself but it's not my favourite part of the build. I'd buy them in if I could find a supplier.

Leopardwood-and-stem-on-slate.jpg
Leopard-and-stem-on-table.jpg

Made a matching stem for it. It has a brown glass tip but I'm not sure I'd recommend glass tips for general use as they're prone to breaking when removed from the stem for cleaning. Also the screen is held in place by friction alone and needs frequent readjustment. I don't mind having to do that but some people would find it a faff.

Leopard-base.jpg

Leather base cover of a similar hue to the wood and the overall effect is very pleasing.

There's also a Camelthorn unit in the works which should be finished soon.
Good logging all.
That is amazing. Seriously one of the nicest logs I've seen.

darkstar72

@brainiac: beautiful wood turning and log building. What diameter heater cover did you use or do you prefer?

I recently built one with the 7/16” heater cover (drill press, no lathe). The prior ones built were with a 3/8” traditional cover size. On the 7/16” cover I did the five basket screens “fins” over the 24w/30v cartridge like Alan chose to. It works phenomenally well. With a paper tube/roasting chamber going inside the heater cover, the herb load is still small at about 04 grams but the air flow is more open.

Pure convection, heats up in minutes, more powerful and better tasting than my portables. Such a simple and effective design. Thanks to all who have refined and described how these are built (Alan, blokenoname, brainiac, and others).

brainiac

log wrangler
Many thanks @darkstar72. You're doing well to build logs with a drill press. That's how I drill heater/base wells on the Rustics and it's no easy task getting them perfectly central to the log. I collected some pieces of local oak recently that are suitable for Rustics and they'll have to be drilled out with the press but most of my builds these days are done on the lathe.

The heater cover on this leopardwood unit - and all my halogen builds - has an OD of 12mm which is pretty close to your 7/16". The ID is 11mm and takes a stem/wpa with a 10mm OD tip.

The cartride 'fins' you mention are an idea that @Alan (HI) came up with - https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/the-hi.4693/post-1560695
They provide a number of advantages including keeping the cartridge central in the heater cover, 'tumbling' the air as it rises through the heater cover and thus reducing the risk of hotspots and also they prevent the dreaded cartridge rattle.

newSSE

Thank you @coolbreeze for your kind words. Highly encouraging.

I should have added to the post that if anyone has any DIY questions about the log I will, ofc, be happy to answer them.
It looks amazing!!! Congrats :)
I may have questions for you this summer as I'll try to get my own DIY log project started!

newSSE,
Reactions: brainiac
Top Bottom