• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
OF, thank you for the explanation, although I will admit I didn't follow all of it.

My 4th replacement of the 2.1 just arrived, any bets on how long this one lasts? The one this is replacing lasted less time than it took to get the replacement.

At this rate if you keep getting replacements they'll run out of 2.1s to frustrate you with...... keep up the good work :tup:

mplx

Your expectations shift without your realizing it. Fortunately, clever as the design is, the backup LB wasn't fooled even a little bit.

Don't sell it short, it's a great vape for sure. Highly recommended.

Congratulations.

OF
Exactly. I was getting used to lesser vapor and effect. First use of the backup-box was a pleasant wake up:)

Unfortunately i could only enjoy it with the PA for 2 sessions, cause now the PA gives no signs of life anymore. Still have enough batteries:tup: but i hope MF wont be difficult about sending in 2 warranty claims in one week. Also this PA does not have a serial on it, it`s the plastic version. I got it 2 years ago as a replacement for my broken down maple PA that of course had a serial. Even found the email with the previous warranty claim including the photo, in case they need it.

vapirtoo

I'm kind of amazed that MF is still having PA problems. I beta tested the first PA that was a round cylinder thing that worked really well, Then they sent me the real fancy looking small rectangular box PA which never worked as well intermittently turning off and on. MF never sorted out my feedback; I gave my first PA to my herb guy and I still use the cute newer wonky one even though it cuts on and off.
MF has come out with still another iteration of the PA that looks totally different . Lets hope this is the ONE!

Mysterion999

I'm kind of amazed that MF is still having PA problems. I beta tested the first PA that was a round cylinder thing that worked really well, Then they sent me the real fancy looking small rectangular box PA which never worked as well intermittently turning off and on. MF never sorted out my feedback; I gave my first PA to my herb guy and I still use the cute newer wonky one even though it cuts on and off.
MF has come out with still another iteration of the PA that looks totally different . Lets hope this is the ONE!
I've already read complaints on the 3.0, I hope it's just a random problem this time.From what I've read (and my experience) there are two problems, one is the wires failing at the dummy battery, and then the electronics just failing. Mounting the electronics directly to the dummy battery, and the magnetic connection at the input solves the wire connection problem. But if they are still using the same components on the board, I don't have much hope.

I do think I solved the wire connection problem. I took a piece of styrene tubing about 1 1/4" long, cut a slit in it to slide the wire in, and then used packing tape to hold it firmly to the black plastic strain relief. The tube is long enough to hold the wire, but not too long to get in the way. I would like to mount it permanently, but I don't trust it to make it past the 90 days for the warranty.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/HGwnXmHbKAwn5a4BWIQjD2oF3v6mIIGHUb5vnxb27VQ

Last edited:
Broke out my MFLB last night after fine grinding 0.1gm homegrown Romulan-Grapefruit in a Nano grinder and then into the Finishing grinder. Took three 10-second hits and the taste, vapor production, and effect were all exceptional. Paired with a freshly charged Goldcell battery it was just the experience I needed. I keep forgetting what a great vape this is but it gets left in a drawer for weeks and even months at a time.

Dutch-Mic

Keep pulsing that battery to maintain a lower temperature and keep the herb from toasting too fast.

I used only indicas and hybrids in my mflb, because I don't like the toasty sativa taste, but with your tip (pulsating the battery) I enjoy now also the sativas in the box.

263focy.jpg

seriousTone

Broke out my MFLB last night after fine grinding 0.1gm homegrown Romulan-Grapefruit in a Nano grinder and then into the Finishing grinder. Took three 10-second hits and the taste, vapor production, and effect were all exceptional. Paired with a freshly charged Goldcell battery it was just the experience I needed. I keep forgetting what a great vape this is but it gets left in a drawer for weeks and even months at a time.
Same here. I took mine to work last week after it’s been sitting around for the better part of a year. Batteries are a couple to a few years old and have also been sitting for the same amount of time.

Had to charge the batteries in my car on breaks as they depleted like 3/4 after a hit or two but goddamn this beautiful tasty box got me way more ripped than intended to be after walking back into work. :haw: And that was with hardly any vapor production - which shows how efficient this thing is, all that vapor goes to your lungs instead of being wasted. With my other vapes I have to do the breath out a little and then breath back in the vapor trick to feel like I’m getting it all.

Mysterion999

I saw a while back people looking for cheap alternative to the Orbitor. While I would like to have an Orbitor, it's just not in the budget now. I was searching for something on ebay and a little skull water pipe for under $10 came up. It seemed the right size (3.4"), and cheap enough to see if it helped smooth the hits. I bought a 12" MF whip for $12 and the skull for $8.

The pipe uses a simple two hole stopper and for now I swapped the holes, the larger one fits the tube on the whip and is pushed in halfway, the stock glass mouthpiece from the LB goes on the other side halfway and down into the water. I used a piece of scrap tubing to fit the cheap hose that comes with the skull for the mouthpiece.

I can take more pics if anyone is interested.

I would like to find a stopper to fit a whip on both sides, but it is tight on space.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/GbI01efq1I1HogSV71Q5n926Xt44ZHxQ4uV2euRz70X

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/NtLUmtIsbkdrfu8vOLjUfbvTx1f1iHWyw4r1XZBxPuc

Mysterion999,
Reactions: KidFated.

Mysterion999

2lt3mlh.jpg

I guess this is the beginning of my LB`s end? :cry: Last weeks i noticed that the box lost more and more power, still producing some vapor but not that much like it used to do. And now i see why:\ I guess i can send in a request for a replacement, in a situation like this?

Time to unpack my brand new -backup walnut box :drool: that i bought when it was on sale
I too noticed my performance was dropping, I thought maybe my year old batteries were getting weak. Then I noticed my screen was worn through. I just got my replacement and what a difference! I will admit I have had problems with some of their quality control, but they have replaced each one of their products that I've had issues with. I was advised that I had surpassed my limit on replacements, but they would send another. I guess their policy is one replacement only. The next warranty I claim on the box will be a 25% discount on a new one. For the record My first one popped an o-ring while I was cleaning it, this one just wore out from constant use and cleaning.

I just love this little box!

Last edited:

Mysterion999

Power supply number 5 has just died. I'm love my LB, but without a decent power supply that can last more than a few weeks, it's useless to me. I use it between 10 and 15 times a day and batteries are not going to cut it.

I just sent an email to MF explaining that I am not satisfied with receiving anymore 2.1 replacements. And to charge me 25% off a 3.0, but then charge $23 shipping would not be acceptable to me. This is a final deal breaker for me, either I get a satisfactory replacement (3.0) or I'm done with MF. As much as I love my LB, batteries don't cut it for as often as I use it. So without the PA, I'd be better off looking at a different brand.

Last edited:

Dutch-Mic

Power supply number 5 has just died. I'm love my LB, but without a decent power supply that can last more than a few weeks, it's useless to me. I use it between 10 and 15 times a day and batteries are not going to cut it.

That's so frustrating. How many days/months lasted it? It's such a pity that the power adapter is still unreliable. Hopefully they'll offer another one for free to give you the chance for a good magic flight and not a magic fail.

Mysterion999

That's so frustrating. How many days/months lasted it? It's such a pity that the power adapter is still unreliable. Hopefully they'll offer another one for free to give you the chance for a good magic flight and not a magic fail.

The first one had the connection problem from day 1. A few months after I got it, it got put away for about 6 months. When I broke it back out, it wouldn't work at all. They were nice enough to warranty it as it had this problem from day one. The replacement lasted about 1 month. The next replacement died in a week. I think this one is 2 months old.

One of the reasons I picked the LB is because of their reputation and the lifetime warranty. While they have been good to me on replacements, it seems you are only allotted one replacement on the LB, then you are offered 25% off on a replacement. So you really need to research things carefully as most older LB owners are under the impression that even the PA's are lifetime, when it's only 90 days.

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to downplay anyone else's experience.

I still can't understand all the problems people have with the PA, I have an original one that's out on loan that's been working for 8 years now and is still used daily and my PA 2.0 is still working fine. I did pick up a PA 3.0 to try out and it's working well too. I do only use my box a handful of times a month these days so I expect that the new PA to last forever.

My OG PA has done many thousands of trenches and my 2.0 many hundreds so How have I lucked out? Why can't I get this lucky with things that really matter?

questions, questions confronting the concerned (and very stoned) old fart today.

:mflb: . . . :tup:

Last edited:

OF

I still can't understand all the problems people have with the PA, I have an original one that's out on loan that's been working for 8 years now and is still used daily and my PA 2.0 is still working fine.

I'm with you there. While I had some dicey contact at first with the ring in the box, that was easily sorted out. I too have one on loan (for some time now.....) and LOTS of use on the one here I've had no other problems. I even built a battery pack so I could take it into the garden where it saw a lot of duty a few years back.

One thing sure, MF can't stay in business if it's replacing them on a regular basis. A single replacement wipes out all profit from a pile of other units. Replacing the same one over and over is a fast way to make your employees 'available to the industry'.......

The MFLB is STILL in my rotation. It makes one helluva maintenance hitter.

It does indeed, I no longer use it as a 'session vape' really. Unless your herb consumption is way, way up from what it once was you must get a lot of 'top off hits' from a gram or two of fine ground goods......

All in all MFLB is a vape everyone should try, most (nearly all) hang onto an use theirs for a LONG time.

OF

Mysterion999

Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to downplay anyone else's experience.

I still can't understand all the problems people have with the PA, I have an original one that's out on loan that's been working for 8 years now and is still used daily and my PA 2.0 is still working fine. I did pick up a PA 3.0 to try out and it's working well too. I do only use my box a handful of times a month these days so I expect that the new PA to last forever.

My OG PA has done many thousands of trenches and my 2.0 many hundreds so How have I lucked out? Why can't I get this lucky with things that really matter?

questions, questions confronting the concerned (and very stoned) old fart today.

:mflb: . . . :tup:
You were smart enough to skip the 2.1! Since I have been having so many failures, I have been searching for reviews in the 2.1. Many times I've read about people with 2.0s not having any problems. I know if this was my company, and I was getting so many returns and bad reviews, I would be sending out 3.0s as replacements. There is nothing worse than an upset customer or a bad review IMO. I don't believe for a second that MF doesn't know how poorly the 2.1 PA's longevity is. Had they offered me (and they still have the chance to do so), I would be here praising MF, rather than complaining and thinking of going with a different vape.

His_Highness

+1 for having a 2.0 that has never given me a lick of trouble along with the LB itself. After 4+ years its still in the rotation but only for buzz maintenance after one of my other vapes get me happy.

Never been able to get the big clouds from the LB but it's never let me down when it comes to the high AND none of my other vapes conserve my weed like the LB does. I love not having to wait for temp or a heat soak.

First vape I ever owned. You don't get a second chance at a first impression and the LB was the perfect vape to introduce me to vaporization. Some of the other vapes I looked at as a first timer turned out to be not so good and might have turned me away.

@Mysterion999 - I'm sorry your experience isn't turning out.....

Mysterion999

I even built a battery pack so I could take it into the garden where it saw a lot of duty a few years back.

One thing sure, MF can't stay in business if it's replacing them on a regular basis. A single replacement wipes out all profit from a pile of other units. Replacing the same one over and over is a fast way to make your employees 'available to the industry'.......

I've got a 2 D cell holder that I reworked to run them in parallel for a portable battery pack. Do you know of any D cells that would work with the LB? I don't know the term for a battery that "flows" enough power to work with the LB. I do have a pair of 3AA to a D cell adapters, and could use 6 of the MF gold batteries, but would rather just have to charge 2 batteries.

I originally offered to send my 2.1 back for credit on a 3.0, They only offered me the 25% and replace my 2.1. If they had offered 50% I would have gladly took a chance on the 3.0 and they would not have wasted four 2.1's as warranties. But then again, they were doomed to failure no matter who got them.

OF

I've got a 2 D cell holder that I reworked to run them in parallel for a portable battery pack.

There are some potential ones, this one is widely available and marginal for the application used 'in spec':
https://www.batterystuff.com/files/10105_datasheet.pdf

Battery Space and 'even Amazon' sell them. Ironically there are also C cells designed for portable tools that are in that range. You could probably 'limp by' on two?

The technical term you're looking for is 'current capacity' (ability to supply lots of current (power) at a time). We need 15 Amps, largely unheard of with AAs. Fifteen. So 3 of the above (at five Amps per) are 'on par'.

However, it's not that simple (when is it ever?). To deliver 15 Amps you're talking about 12 AWG wire, say 1/8 inch copper, 'each way'. Of the roughly 1.25 Volts (measure of pressure) in the LB only about 3/4 of that makes it to the screen, over 1/3 is lost in the few inches of heavy wires inside the box. Just getting 15 Amps through the contacts in the box is a serious issue. That's why MFLB uses 12 Volts (at much lower current) and only 'makes' the 1.2 at the last minute, just before contacting the box to limit these looses. If a simple box with D cells would do it, they would no doubt have offered us a truly pretty wooden box for that?

You can also consider Li-ion D cells which are more like 3.7 Volts by some have current capacity of the sort we need and sacrifice most of the power delivered (over 3/4) in 'voltage drops' in your cable, connections and so on. You might have better luck with that than I did.

There's a solid reason why very few AAs work at all and only very special ones give good service. Not an easy nut to crack. Which is why I built a higher voltage, lower current battery pack and use the factory PA.

OF

OF,

Mysterion999

This is what I sent to MF when the last PA died.

"My 2.1 PA failed last night and to be honest, I'm sick and tired of dealing with a product that clearly has design flaws. Before you go on about how it's unusual to have to replace the PA so many times, I have read enough reviews of people complaining about how often these units fail to know you must realize these are junk. Why you continue to send replacements for such a poorly made or designed product instead of offering to replace it with the new version that is supposed to fix these problems is beyond me.

Although you have been great about replacing units so far, it is ridiculous to keep sending out more units that are prone to fail. I am tired of dealing with this unit, I think this is the fourth one to fail in a little over a year. One of them didn't even last a week.

If you want to keep me as a customer, you are going to have to do better than making me wait a week while you send out another 2.1 that is sure to fail. A 25% discount on a new unit is not fair. I paid full price for the one I have and it obviously is not capable of being used multiple times a day. To ask me to buy a new one at your discount price, but then charge $23 for shipping for a product that I have no idea will be any better than the one I have is more than I'm willing to spend. Before I do that, I will buy a Pax or some other vape."

This was their reply

"I understand what you mean. To be fair, while there are plenty of negative accounts of the 2.1 online, there are also many people who have had success with their PA. It’s not a perfect product, we agree, and that’s why we’ve put a lot of effort to design and produce the 3.0.

Like all of our previous products, we continue to issue replacements “in kind” until inventory is exhausted, and then we’ve historically replaced warranty claims with a newer version once available. If we issued 3.0’s for 2.1 warranties, this wouldn’t be sustainable as we need the income from selling the PA 3.0 to pay for the R&D and production of this model.

I understand wanting to try something new, but the Pax is simply a copy of our design. Most imitations tend to pale in comparison to the original. Also, I don’t know of any Power Adapter for the Pax, and nothing beats a MFLB and a trusty pair of batteries, in my opinion, anyways…."

To me this is saying "Yup, we are selling a product that doesn't have a good reputation, we know it, and we only care about our profit, not your satisfaction as a consumer."

They are sending out my 5th? (I've honestly lost count at this point) replacement. Include the shipping costs and it has to be more than what it would cost to send a 3.0 out in the first place, especially when I offered to pay, plus return the old 2.1. But I think it should have been better than just 25% off.

His_Highness

@Mysterion999 - I agree with you 100%. I wonder if the MFLB isn't selling as well as it used to what with all the new advanced vapes coming out? They may be having an issue staying in business. I love the MFLB but it's not going to re-establish itself as my daily driver and although it was my first vape, and a damn fine selection back then....... I'm pretty sure if I was starting out again in the vape world the MFLB wouldn't be my first choice. And to add insult to injury the box itself is just about indestructible and you get another free if it goes belly up. Sales may be an issue.......

Could be a catch-22 for the MFLB company. Maybe they can't afford to keep up the high level of support that "launched" them. They still need to find some middle ground until they can come up with a new business plan that will also cost them to implement.

I'm not big on cutting a manufacturer any slack in cases like this but I have personally seen many FC folks get royally screwed on new vapes and still remain loyal. As a business person myself I'm apt to lean on the side of natural selection and free markets.

Mysterion999

There are some potential ones, this one is widely available and marginal for the application used 'in spec':
https://www.batterystuff.com/files/10105_datasheet.pdf

Battery Space and 'even Amazon' sell them. Ironically there are also C cells designed for portable tools that are in that range. You could probably 'limp by' on two?

The technical term you're looking for is 'current capacity' (ability to supply lots of current (power) at a time). We need 15 Amps, largely unheard of with AAs. Fifteen. So 3 of the above (at five Amps per) are 'on par'.

However, it's not that simple (when is it ever?). To deliver 15 Amps you're talking about 12 AWG wire, say 1/8 inch copper, 'each way'. Of the roughly 1.25 Volts (measure of pressure) in the LB only about 3/4 of that makes it to the screen, over 1/3 is lost in the few inches of heavy wires inside the box. Just getting 15 Amps through the contacts in the box is a serious issue. That's why MFLB uses 12 Volts (at much lower current) and only 'makes' the 1.2 at the last minute, just before contacting the box to limit these looses. If a simple box with D cells would do it, they would no doubt have offered us a truly pretty wooden box for that?

You can also consider Li-ion D cells which are more like 3.7 Volts by some have current capacity of the sort we need and sacrifice most of the power delivered (over 3/4) in 'voltage drops' in your cable, connections and so on. You might have better luck with that than I did.

There's a solid reason why very few AAs work at all and only very special ones give good service. Not an easy nut to crack. Which is why I built a higher voltage, lower current battery pack and use the factory PA.

OF
Thank you again for sharing your knowledge. Nothing's ever easy is it? Would you happen to have a build thread on your battery pack somewhere?

Do you know how the wiring from the box to the LB works? I'm pretty sure I have two that the electronics work, but it loses connection at the dummy battery. I would like to see if I could make my own end and splice it into one and see if I could get one working again. I don't understand what the third wire goes to, I would assume the white and black wires being power for the rails. Does the switch tap off of one of these and send a signal back to the box? But then again you need power to the switch, so I doubt that is how it works.

I was informed that I have surpassed the limit they are willing to warranty, the one they are sending me now is my last replacement.

@Mysterion999 - I agree with you 100%. I wonder if the MFLB isn't selling as well as it used to what with all the new advanced vapes coming out? They may be having an issue staying in business. I love the MFLB but it's not going to re-establish itself as my daily driver and although it was my first vape, and a damn fine selection back then....... I'm pretty sure if I was starting out again in the vape world the MFLB wouldn't be my first choice. And to add insult to injury the box itself is just about indestructible and you get another free if it goes belly up. Sales may be an issue.......

Could be a catch-22 for the MFLB company. Maybe they can't afford to keep up the high level of support that "launched" them. They still need to find some middle ground until they can come up with a new business plan that will also cost them to implement.

I'm not big on cutting a manufacturer any slack in cases like this but I have personally seen many FC folks get royally screwed on new vapes and still remain loyal. As a business person myself I'm apt to lean on the side of natural selection and free markets.

The LB is my first too. I thought it was an economical way to see if I would prefer vaping, as combusting was taking it's toll on me. I also like the look and feel of it. But if I have to rely on batteries, I will move on also.

I do think you are on to something as they are falling behind with technology. I'm an old guy and I like the simplicity and the fact that I control it. But I'm sure younger people want all the technology you could stuff into a vape. I usually smoke by myself, so the ritual of the LB is right up my alley, but for smoking with others, it's a PITA to use. I'm sure like many of you, I will be moving on to something newer and more convenient.

I'm sure i will always have a spot in my hear for the LB, but if I wind up getting screwed on the PA I will never forget that either.

Last edited:
Top Bottom