The Lotus Vaporizer

shopdognyc

I use a bubbler so I see if there's anything coming out of the vape head besides (invisible) vape. have started going a little easier when I heat the head, go till it's just beginning to orange--then flame out and start drawing. heat it enough to vape but not combust--hopefully not even a little.
Got i do the same too

i kind of count to four or wait until the plate turns red orange and then start moving the flame in a circle slowly around and in the dimple middle.

that usually does it. I do experiment how far or close the flame is.

kilo

I really enjoy the Lotus — and I'd enjoy it a lot more if I could find reliable torches. As much as I like the unit, however, I wonder if there might be a more durable material which could be used in the vapor cap. It would seem to me that there might be fireproof materials with insulating properties that would never have to be replaced. All the other components could be ordered from Lotus and installed by the user.

By the way, I was finding the response of the vape a little sluggish and I noticed that the hot plate looked a little beat so I ordered a hot plate kit and replaced the old one. Performance returned to normal.

caseball2051

I've been using my lotus exclusively for the past week and damn this thing is really awesome.

Last night though I noticed that my cap was acting strange. When I heated the plate it seemed to kinda sink down. When the flame was taken off it kinda moved back to where it was before heating.

I thought I was just seeing things as I didn't have my glasses on and I was very medicated but then I paid closer attention and sure enough the plate was moving up and down.

Is this normal? Anyone seen this? It works fine as far as I can tell.

GoldenBud

Last night though I noticed that my cap was acting strange. When I heated the plate it seemed to kinda sink down. When the flame was taken off it kinda moved back to where it was before heating.
it's a thin plate actually, i believe it can "dance" a little or so..it's only supposed to bring the heat down into the chamber..

shopdognyc

I've been using my lotus exclusively for the past week and damn this thing is really awesome.

I thought I was just seeing things as I didn't have my glasses on and I was very medicated but then I paid closer attention and sure enough the plate was moving up and down.

think movement going to be there but the flower shape of the outer plate is supposed to just let it flex that little bit.

should be okay.

kimura

Yes. Totally normal.

I use a bubbler so I see if there's anything coming out of the vape head besides (invisible) vape. have started going a little easier when I heat the head, go till it's just beginning to orange--then flame out and start drawing. heat it enough to vape but not combust--hopefully not even a little.

I might be misreading your post but the vapor I get out of the lotus is far from invisible...

my cap is so old, its one of the old style that can’t be disassembled for cleaning. Plate is dented to all hell, but it just keeps working. These days I use a rather large flame and start drawing immediately. Takes practice but this vape stands the test of time 👍

GoldenBud

my cap is so old, its one of the old style that can’t be disassembled for cleaning. Plate is dented to all hell, but it just keeps working. These days I use a rather large flame and start drawing immediately. Takes practice but this vape stands the test of time 👍
without any pre-heat? even if the plate is cold? how long is the "strong-blue" flame? even 1 inch works? almost like the elev8r?!? :D

GoldenBud,
Reactions: ataxian

kimura

without any pre-heat? even if the plate is cold? how long is the "strong-blue" flame? even 1 inch works? almost like the elev8r?!? :D

yeah, pretty much. Big enough that it will definitely scorch if I draw slowly. inner blue flame close to 1 inch, give or take. I don't keep the inner blue flame touching the plate for the whole draw. I start there but I have to back my torch off pretty quickly and keep it moving or it will scorch. if I try a normal warmup with a big flame I get scorching so I start drawing right away. I don't get instant vapor, but it's pretty close.

not sure I can recommend this style, since it makes it way easier to scorch both the load and the cap itself. but it lets me use a shorter draw and still get tons of vapor and I seem to have gotten away with it thus far :freak:

Last edited:

MrMonss

Help me, my Lotus has lost its modjo ..
He has been my daily partner for at least two years .. Today I lost that magic ..
Do I need to change anything, the plates ?
There is a part of the wood which seems to have been very hot, I can also smell a little smell of heated wood..

tsp3.jpg

shopdognyc

Help me, my Lotus has lost its modjo ..
He has been my daily partner for at least two years .. Today I lost that magic ..
Do I need to change anything, the plates ?
There is a part of the wood which seems to have been very hot, I can also smell a little smell of heated wood..

tsp3.jpg
I have the same and mine is new.

sometimes i get Less vapor and I think when I am bit impatient with the torch staying in an area

You’ve been using this two years so maybe it’s something else

since there are no cracks on your plate how about just trying to hold your flame longer and see?

kilo

I've had something similar occur. I hadn't used my Lotus in a while but have recently returned to using it daily and noticed that the vapor production among my three caps was inconsistent. All the plates were quite dimpled and scorched. I had a hot plate replacement so I replaced the one in my newest vapor cap. That seemed to make a big difference. But I don't really see why it would, since the plates, while obviously used, weren't cracked or punctured. The thermodynamics of the vape are pretty simple — no moving parts, electrical connections , or inaccessible components.

So, now that I've been using the Lotus daily again I figured I'd re-try them all. The newest one, with the new plate, worked perfectly and the second oldest one worked okay as well. I noticed that the second hit was always better than the first, and I think that may be because my newly-harvested weed isn't as dry as it will be in another week or two. And I also think that my torch technique may have improved with practice. But the oldest vapor cap still seems to have limited vape production compared to the others. And it also smells like scorched wood. I may take it apart today and just see if there's some debris in there.

kimura

@MrMonss that is rather curious. first thing I would do is take it apart as much as possible (not sure how old that cap is but you can at least remove the heating plate). did you check your intake ports to make sure they are all clear? and make sure the inside is relatively free of debris? (abv blowback)

kilo

Okay. So I disassembled my oldest vapor cap to see if I could find anything obviously affecting its performance. This is one of the older caps without the debris screen and, sure enough, there was some abv matter in there which I blew out with compressed air. (There was also an area which had apparently been turned into charcoal.) I put it back together, loaded up the WPA , installed the vapor cap on my VaporScope, fired up my best torch and went through the steps — and the performance was just as disappointing as it had been before. I noticed that the hot plate turned red very quickly, yet even holding the flame on for a long time didn't make much more than a small hit. Tried it again, not much difference, so I removed the vapor cap and put on the newest one. And I got a good hit even though I'd already tried two hits on the same bowl with the other cap. I cant explain it. For diagnostic purposes I could put a new hot plate on the old cap, but it's not high on my list as I've got two good vapor caps and life is too short.

LabPong

Take the plates off the wood disk. There are 3 pieces of the heating plate in total. They need to be on top and touching each other all around the surface areas. Usually it is the top heating plate that gets warped out of shape and then it lifts off the other pieces under it...this kills the heating ability down to the bowl.

One of my plates got warped for some unknown reason... as far as I can tell with my medium use. It is like the plate bubbles outward most of the time and this is what stops full heat transfer. So I took the plate off and flattened it as best as I could. I do recall using a torch that was a bigger softer flame on it a couple times...that could of been an issue.

I try to only use torches with very defined blue flames......the funnel looking Jabon Lotus used to sell...and the Honest angled head single torch are all I use on the Lotus now. My plates stay flat now........(knocking on wood).

Gigsabits53

Take the plates off the wood disk. There are 3 pieces of the heating plate in total. They need to be on top and touching each other all around the surface areas. Usually it is the top heating plate that gets warped out of shape and then it lifts off the other pieces under it...this kills the heating ability down to the bowl.

One of my plates got warped for some unknown reason... as far as I can tell with my medium use. It is like the plate bubbles outward most of the time and this is what stops full heat transfer. So I took the plate off and flattened it as best as I could. I do recall using a torch that was a bigger softer flame on it a couple times...that could of been an issue.

I try to only use torches with very defined blue flames......the funnel looking Jabon Lotus used to sell...and the Honest angled head single torch are all I use on the Lotus now. My plates stay flat now........(knocking on wood).

I think that cheap honest torch is the best one I've used for the Lotus and my other butane vapes. The honest torch was the 1st one I ever used. Tried so many of them since, and it turns out I had the best one from the start, for me anyway.

shopdognyc

i'm not as experienced as most of those commenting, but even with my relatively new Lotus performance changes on how I direct the flame.

Depending on how long I hold my flame in a spot, how quickly I move it around, the performance changes.

There was a point or time when the Lotus felt very hot, and other times it doesn't. I don't know the nuances about the plates being in contact, but I feel like the same behavior with my Sticky Brick.

If I am not performing well with the flame, I try and change how I hold and that has been the difference from me. For you, a two year continual user your knowledge will be greater, but this has worked for me.

shopdognyc,
Reactions: ataxian

GoldenBud

I think that cheap honest torch is the best one I've used for the Lotus and my other butane vapes. The honest torch was the 1st one I ever used. Tried so many of them since, and it turns out I had the best one from the start, for me anyway.
they're great, but get hot, i guess for 25sec draw you feel the hotness of the torch in your thumb?
will know soon... haha
I gave my Honest for a friend, for his M, waiting for a new Honest but has already few good torches for it...

Top Bottom