The J-hook thread!

coolbreeze

Have never used a steamroller. What do you like about its functionality? (I'm sure I messed this multiple quote thing up)
We used toilet paper tube steamrollers as kids to cool joints, or these cheap glass steamroller pipes that used to be everywhere--they were very effective. Now I have a ceramic one with a 14mm connection and it's even cooler. You cover the end and fill it with vapor and then shoot the cool vapor into your lungs in one blast. They're like an small, very open dry bong, they cool a huge tube of vapor surprisingly well with no loss of flavor. These glass ones look pretty sweet.

jbm

We used toilet paper tube steamrollers as kids to cool joints, or these cheap glass steamroller pipes that used to be everywhere--they were very effective. Now I have a ceramic one with a 14mm connection and it's even cooler. You cover the end and fill it with vapor and then shoot the cool vapor into your lungs in one blast. They're like a small, very open dry bong, they cool a huge tube of vapor surprisingly well with no loss of flavor. These glass ones look pretty sweet.
I had a smaller glass one back before time began that we called a joint bong; it had a little carb in the top that you could stick a joint in. Same principle, knocked you for a loop

coolbreeze

I had a smaller glass one back before time began that we called a joint bong; it had a little carb in the top that you could stick a joint in. Same principle, knocked you for a loop
Bought a Sidewinder because it was the DV version of the joint bong I had!
4a_e71d9d42-a943-4660-93e3-dfaac59d3b6f.jpg

coolbreeze

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
It's not bad. There's an amber one with a carb, but the carb's kinda small and nothing like the open pipe.

Also not fully open but this looks pretty sweet for a DV:
83F60F25-C1AC-4DFE-BCA5-3CADB88751D4.jpg

And there's also a Dynahook:
C5C4D7A6-6BCD-4752-8750-C42FEA6B7F73.jpg
Ooo doze are nice.

You own them?

coolbreeze

Ooo doze are nice.

You own them?
No, I have one of the donut rollers, but those have no carb at all, you pull your vape. It's really gorgeous and useful but there's something about an actual steamroller. Those he makes look like they'd function great. The smaller intake and MP holes add a slight restriction (my ceramic one is like these) but it overwhelmingly feels open and steamroller-like.

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
We used toilet paper tube steamrollers as kids to cool joints, or these cheap glass steamroller pipes that used to be everywhere--they were very effective. Now I have a ceramic one with a 14mm connection and it's even cooler. You cover the end and fill it with vapor and then shoot the cool vapor into your lungs in one blast. They're like an small, very open dry bong, they cool a huge tube of vapor surprisingly well with no loss of flavor. These glass ones look pretty sweet.

I have a BIG one! I call it my cannon :razz:
(You're welcome, Posts taken out of Context thread!)

LC4-DEI3j-St6-Dccjk-Mq-XEFQ-thumb-cd9.jpg

(^that's an 18mm connection)

Last edited:

RedZep

It's not bad. There's an amber one with a carb, but the carb's kinda small and nothing like the open pipe.

Also not fully open but this looks pretty sweet for a DV:
83F60F25-C1AC-4DFE-BCA5-3CADB88751D4.jpg

And there's also a Dynahook:
C5C4D7A6-6BCD-4752-8750-C42FEA6B7F73.jpg
I almost pulled the trigger on this a few weeks back, for the Tempest tip. Realised it would be really annoying filling/emptying the tip while it's attached. Would much prefer if it just had a typical 14/18mm connection.

coolbreeze

I almost pulled the trigger on this a few weeks back, for the Tempest tip. Realised it would be really annoying filling/emptying the tip while it's attached. Would much prefer if it just had a typical 14/18mm connection.
Definitely made with the Wand in mind as well. You're right, I think this would benefit from having a joint and a wpa, but as a completely different approach it's kinda cool.

HighTime

Does anyone know if using a wpa that has a typical ground glass male end which inserts into a j hook or other glass piece that has a clear glass female joint would result in scratches to the clear glass female joint? Or, should both pieces be matched either ground or clear glass? Thanks!

HighTime,

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
Does anyone know if using a wpa that has a typical ground glass male end which inserts into a j hook or other glass piece that has a clear glass female joint would result in scratches to the clear glass female joint? Or, should both pieces be matched either ground or clear glass? Thanks!

I’d bet over time, the smooth glass will take on tiny buff scratches. The larger issue, is you get a better seal with both glass sides being “ground”. I use CLEAR adapters when I don’t want to scratch polished metal DV stems etc.

HighTime

I’d bet over time, the smooth glass will take on tiny buff scratches. The larger issue, is you get a better seal with both glass sides being “ground”. I use CLEAR adapters when I don’t want to scratch polished metal DV stems etc.
Thank you! That makes complete sense. I thought I was asking a naive question, but I’m glad I asked. Very helpful!

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)

Probably? But I cannot notice, though I guess I'm not looking, I have a wide variety of ground joints and smooth joints (they are all clear) I call it non-frosted lol all good

I'm not so sure, sometimes the smooth glass and the ground glass lock together even more than ground on ground for me, there's so much variance in glass joints so I'm not sure that that is the only factor

RustyOldNail

I'm not so sure, sometimes the smooth glass and the ground glass lock together even more than ground on ground for me, there's so much variance in glass joints so I'm not sure that that is the only factor

In a lab, you get a water tight seal using all ground joints. I doubt they use very many clear glass joints. Not sure about “vapor”, but I’d guess the performance is similar. If have two perfectly formed and polished glass joints, clear, you can get a good vacuum type seal, but you rarely see perfection in the glass we buy….

When I high pressure clean using adapter from sink to ground joint via silicone tube, the joint won’t break free and squirt water all over, but if one of those two joints were clear, I’d have a gusher…

RustyOldNail,
Reactions: HighTime

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
In a lab, you get a water tight seal using all ground joints. I doubt they use very many clear glass joints. Not sure about “vapor”, but I’d guess the performance is similar. If have two perfectly formed and polished glass joints, clear, you can get a good vacuum type seal, but you rarely see perfection in the glass we buy….

When I high pressure clean using adapter from sink to ground joint via silicone tube, the joint won’t break free and squirt water all over, but if one of those two joints were clear, I’d have a gusher…

Yeah it's all relative, all I know is my clear joints from GVB and RBB must be really high quality because they can grip and seal sometimes too well even on a ground!

RustyOldNail

clear joints from GVB and RBB must be really high quality because they can grip and seal sometimes too well even on a ground!

Yeah, the clear “ungrounded” glass will certainly get “grabbed” by a “grounded” joint, and thus over time if used aggressively will “sand” the clear joint, and thus my original response to the OG question. A clear on clear joint connection in most cases will not be as secure or potentially efficient as using a true GONG connection, as they were designed for….

RustyOldNail

Yes but it happens clear on clear too I mean

That’s probably the next best choice.
Ever put down a sheet of window glass over another one, the smooth surfaces almost force you to slide them to get them apart. Still doesn’t make for the BEST connection….

RustyOldNail,
Top Bottom