The HI

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
hisizetoasty.jpg

Introducing the Heat Island (HI) vaporizer. A new approach to direct draw convective vaporizers.

The heart of the HI is a ceramic heating element that is identical to the one in the Toasty Top and several other direct draw convective vaporizers. It operates from a 12 volt power supply and requires approximately 0.8 amps. The heating element threads into the bottom for easy cleaning / replacement as necessary. The HI uses heat island technology rather than a heat sink as with most conventional direct draw convective vaporizers. This means there is very little metal contact between the center stainless steel tube and the outer stainless steel tube. The HI uses as little metal as possible and is not able to transfer much heat away from the center tube out to the wood. Consequently, the wood stays relatively cool while the internal temperature reaches around 450F. The HI is 3-1/2" tall and can be as small as 1-1/2" in diameter. The internal stainless steel heat island weighs just 17 grams. There is a debris screen in the center tube as well as the space between the center and outer tubes. The HI can be made from virtually any wood as it has little impact on the final temperature. The power jack is located on the bottom of the unit. The right angled power plug is incorporated into the wood base so it sets upright like a conventional direct draw convective vaporizer.

Since the HI has such a small metal mass, it will start producing vapor after being plugged in for only 5 minutes. It may take an hour before the wood will start to feel warm. It is also designed for 24/7 operation. The HI does not lose temperature after each draw and it can be used for near continuous operation.

The HI can be used with two different roasting tube styles. It will accept 5/16" diameter (Toasty Tube and others) stainless steel roasting tubes inside the center tube as with traditional direct draw convective vaporizers. It will also accept my new 3/8" diameter (Turbo Tube and others) high temperature medical grade silicone roasting tubes on the outside of the center tube. The Turbo Tubes use a glass or polypropylene mouthpiece tube covered on one end with a section of silicone tubing that contains a stainless steel screen that is seated on the glass or poly mouthpiece as seen in the photo. The airflow is significantly higher than with the Toasty Tube.

The HI is perfect for use with water filtration due to the low air restriction. The Turbo Tube fits perfectly into a 14mm glass joint. The HI is so small you can hold it in the same hand while pulling the Turbo Tube to clear.

It may be small, but it is mighty. The HI does get you high.

I will be offering them for $140 which includes the power supply. Exotic woods will be an additional $10.

The Turbo Tubes are $10 and the new style Toasty Tubes are $15.

Still deciding how I want to approach selling them. Contact me at alan@toasty-top.com to make arrangements until then.

chib

Kush please
Looking good!
Excited to see how this is going to hold up against some of the other log vapes out right now. I'd love to see this thing in action through glass.

I'm sure many people are going to love the fact that this thing is only 140 opposed to the average 180-200 other log vapes sell for.

photobooth

Another innovative log vape at a great price. I just have to keep telling myself "you don't need another vape, you don't need another vape..." Amazing work as usual TV!

EDIT- +1 on the request for a milk video through a glass piece

photobooth,

ilovebOObs

can i stick my male joint in there?
wow i really like the size of it. very interested, do you have a pic of the 2 different tubes?

ilovebOObs,
Reactions: pomogirl

chib

Kush please
The picture he posted has his custom tube in it, The other one included is just a standard stem that comes with the TT.

chib,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
hicaddysize.jpg

Found another use for those Toasty Top stands. They make great stem caddies.

The stem on the left is the new Toasty Tube. It has two 5/16" ss tubes connected together with a 3/8" ss coupling that also captures a 5/16" screen. It has a full 1/4" bore with no reduction of size at the screen.

The stem in front is the new poly Turbo Tube. It the same poly mouthpiece I use on the Toasty Tubes. The silicone tubing can be adjusted to make the bowl your preferred size.

The stem on the right is a double-tipped thread on version. It also has two 5/16" ss tubes connected with a 3/8" ss coupling which captures a 5/16" screen. I have found that screens begin to clog due to build-up next to the screen. This tip can be flipped each use so that any buildup downstream of the screen is wiped away each time it is used. The screen stays clean for a very long time this way. The glass is tapered for a 14mm glass joint.

ilovebOObs

can i stick my male joint in there?
thanks for posting the pics TV. the 5 min warm up time is very nice, the long warm up time is the only real reason i haven't bought a log vape yet, but this looks like its right up my alley. i wish i wasn't broke from all this holiday gift shopping, guess i will have to wait till after the new years. :(

mod note: smilies need a space after your last character, including periods. Otherwise they don't show up as smilies. Problem fixed. :)

ilovebOObs,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
max said:
Looks like a winner Alan. :tup: for your design innovation. That goes for the tubes as well.

Thanks max. I hope everyone enjoys them as much as I have been.

You are welcome ilovebOObs. The quick heat up time is so nice. Being able to leave it on all the time is nice too. I'll have one waiting for you after the first of the year.

Thanks Calvin.

Let me see if I can get a video put together. It is more like whole than skim milk.

steiner666

Serial vapist
Sounds/looks really good. You mention the internal temp reaches 450F, but what is the approximate temp in the bowl? How heavily is it influenced by drawspeed, can you do low temp vaping by cranking on it hard and reach higher temps by inhaling slow as hell or is it a more consistent temp? Is there any possibility for a variable temp model in the future?

I'll likely pick one of these up, i really like your ideal with the TT stand as a stem holder. I love stemp holders, and prepacking a bunch of stems all at once.

steiner666,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Soulhunter said:
Nice :)
European version also for sale? :)

Thanks Sourhunter. The power supply will accept 240 volts. Just needs a plug adapter.

Thanks for being patient while I got these developed psyshaman. Shouldn't be much longer. Working on a batch of core tubing today.

I'm not sure of the exact temperature at the bowl steiner666. Draw speed will determine how much energy is being carried into the material. A very slow draw will put more heat into the material. Higher draw speeds and mixing room air will give you about any temperature you want.
The Turbo Tubes allow more airflow making temperature control a bit easier.

Alan,
Reactions: P.A.M.

Elluzion

Vapeosaurus Rex
This looks awesome! I love the minimalistic design of it, I almost can't believe the size compared to that beer bottle in the picture! x3 for a milk video and maybe pics of other woods if possible :)

Definitely very cool, and I guess this is my first opportunity to tell TV that his products are beautiful.

charliedontsurf,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Thanks Elluzion, SF Giant, and charliedontsurf.

This photo is a progression of the HI.
Started with a chunk of tiger maple and a black locust base. This one has star washers on the center tube.
Next I turned an integral base form from a purpleheart branch. The slot for the cord goes through a knot. It was actually the most recent recipient of my new Heat Island core. The other two were completed before it.
The birdseye maple was my first new HI core. I left off all the star washers. It is just an empty tube with a heating element. It worked so well I decided to go smaller.
The walnut unit is made from a broken chair leg given to me by a friend. It is only 1-1/2" in diameter. I couldn't just cut a slot for the cord. The wood is formed to fit the plug.

hiprotos.jpg

placetime

Truly awesome, Alan. :tup:
Any chance we could see a pic of the HI core, like you showed us for the TT? :cool:

placetime,

Elluzion

Vapeosaurus Rex
TV said:
Thanks Elluzion, SF Giant, and charliedontsurf.

This photo is a progression of the HI.
Started with a chunk of tiger maple and a black locust base. This one has star washers on the center tube.
Next I turned an integral base form from a purpleheart branch. The slot for the cord goes through a knot. I was actually the most recent recipient of my new Heat Island core. The other two were completed before it.
The birdseye maple was my first new HI core. I left off all the star washers. It is just an empty tube with a heating element. It worked so well I decided to go smaller.
The walnut unit is made from a broken chair leg given to me by a friend. It is only 1-1/2" in diameter. I couldn't just cut a slot for the cord. The wood is formed to fit the plug.

http://www.toasty-top.com/images/hiprotos.jpg

That purpleheart branch is gorgeous! :o ! I still can't believe the size of this thing for a log vape.

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Thanks placetime. There is really nothing to see. Just an empty tube. Holes drilled in the side of the center tube base for the air path. Very simple. Very little drag.

The heating element is just my standard thread in design.

hitechheater.jpg

placetime

Spectacular. As I read this thread, I keep picturing you doing the "but what happens if I do it *this* way" thing, leading towards a simpler solution. Simpler, more elegant solution. Almost hard to believe it works well. Maybe a video *is* in order. I'm kidding, of course--I have no doubt it works exactly as well as you say it does. But a video would still be really cool. :D

placetime,
I echo Elluzion, that purpleheart is just beautiful and it's cool to hear about the recycled wood for the maple.

charliedontsurf,
Reactions: Doug
Top Bottom