The HI

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Another super sound, yet simple design, obviously based on the original HI. A lot of back and forth went on with the Sq HI, and it was a long time in the making. Like most good ideas, this one evolved after several attempts. I'm glad we persevered, and excited to be involved! Bravo once again, vape guru @Alan!!!

Hip, hip, hooray! :science:

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
Simple was key ! Of course it’s based on the HI , well the heater is . Log vapes the shape of HI existed prior to HI’s.. i had mention to Alan when started vaping I’d be able to build square logs working with wood already and not owning a lathe. @Alan was kind enough to share his list of materials so I could proceed, I just never did being my Bamboo HI satisfied my vaping needs, then came the LB ,etc. Still shows how Alan is fair and helpful .. Surely others have thought of a square log too before (I’ve always loved the oxyMoron that a log ain’t typically square ) in fact there was a diy project in diy thread within the last year or so which utilized the square block of wood drilled to accept heater .

I got a new phone 2 days ago , stand by for a Bamboo Hi + d020 video soon folks ! Also coming soon , iHeat and Bud Elite

blokenoname

DIY Log Dabbler 😁🪵💪💨💨💨
Log vapes the shape of HI existed prior to HI’s.. i had mention to Alan when started vaping I’d be able to build square logs working with wood already and not owning a lathe.

Just in case you wanna give the good old DIY another shot: you can get nice round wooden handrails by the meter ;) :D

@Alan & @Bravesst .... good job on the Square HI :tup:
Elegant, tidy, solid and simple in the best meaning of the word :clap:

Gimme a holler, once they're ready to go :nod:

ETA: I think, the very first Aroma Zaps were made from square blocks. There should be a pic of a unit here in the thread somewhere, that Alan refitted with a HI hc. Those were more massive though, than the Square HIs :)

Last edited:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
I am really looking forward to get my first working Square HI. I kept one prototype for myself (just the body) that will serve as my working model for future batches. This build is ingenious, and the square body is rounded off in just the right places. It feels very luxurious in your hands, and sits squarely on any flat surface. The contrasting wood with different grain direction is both functional and beautiful. Simple, practical, regal in stature - another winner!

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
Niiice. Which size core tube is one is that, @P.A.M., the 7/16"?
Thank you , . If referring to the heater core size , I believe it’s 10mm(3/8 - 7/16 be about right ). Just to say The Vapcap sits over it but doesn’t slide over it, making it a two hand affair to draw from but sill fun , smooth and neat that it can double as a log stem .

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
The Vapcap sits over it but doesn’t slide over it, making it a two hand affair to draw from but sill fun , smooth and neat that it can double as a log stem .

Just received one of the Square HI today, with the larger sized heater port.

Can indeed confirm. It works but not sure if it works well enough to use it in that manner often.

Pretty happy with it so far, while getting used to it. Definitely need more time to re-adjust to logs and voltages and etc.

Using this right-angle DC extension cord will result in a slight decrease in the total voltage that the log is receiving, correct? It felt like it has been running a bit hotter since I removed the extra plug, but perhaps I needed to wait a bit longer for heat soaking?

Thanks for the beautiful work, @Alan @Bravesst :D

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
Just received one of the Square HI today, with the larger sized heater port.

Can indeed confirm. It works but not sure if it works well enough to use it in that manner often.

Pretty happy with it so far, while getting used to it. Definitely need more time to re-adjust to logs and voltages and etc.

Using this right-angle DC extension cord will result in a slight decrease in the total voltage that the log is receiving, correct? It felt like it has been running a bit hotter since I removed the extra plug, but perhaps I needed to wait a bit longer for heat soaking?

Thanks for the beautiful work, @Alan @Bravesst :D

Hey @muunch , congrats on your Square HI , it’s been in the making a year or two . Not sure if you thought the Vapcap /HI video was with a Square HI heater or not , I have glass core cover heater in my HI log , most probably smaller then the Square HI. I haven’t tried the Square HI yet , will I ? Lol

And cool the Vapcap works with the Square. I wouldn’t use it frequently with my Bamboo either , it’s just a fun hack!

Vape on!

Last edited:

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Thanks for posting the videos @P.A.M. I'm sure you will get a chance to try the larger heater cover and square body. @blokenoname is correct about the square pine aromazap that I rebuilt a few years back. These are getting back to the original shape and made w/o the need for a lathe.
Glad to see your bamboo HI is still working well. Nice to see that it works w/ vapcap tips. I just tried a vapcap tip w/ the new 7/16" ss heater cover and had very good results. It is a two handed process, but I prefer to use two hands anyhow. It lets you rotate the roasting tube during the draw for a more even roast. You can't have a "lipstick" accident when using two hands. I prefer to remove the roasting tube between draws.

@Bravesst - Thanks again for working w/ me on the square HI. They turned out very well. Here is a shot of some after applying finish and assembling. They are all ready to go make some people happy.

sqhitriangle.jpg

Here is the 4" lg 3/8" ss roasting tube for the new 7/16" ss heater covers. The silicone sleeve fits nicely into a 14mm fitting. One is included w/ each 7/16" ss heater cover square HI. They are $6 each which includes four 8mm basket screens.

3:8sstube14sil.jpg

I also have straight Airizer glass stems available for $8 which includes four 1/2" dome screens. They fit on the end of the 7/16" ss heater covers.

agstraight.jpg

@blokenoname - Happy to have a square HI on the way to you. I'm sure you will enjoy it as much as your own creations. Great progress w/ the halogen bulb logs. I love your response to my questions. Nice to have the information exchange. There may be a haloHI available in the future if I can get a halogen bulb to fit the 7/16" ss heater cover.

@muunch - Glad to hear it arrived safely and you are enjoying it. The extension cord will drop the voltage slightly to the HI. It will definitely run hotter w/o the extension cord. The right angle plug is nice to reduce the tendency of cord twist to topple the HI. That is not as much of an issue w/ the square HI as it is more stable than a round shape. Avoid bending the wire at the plug end as that is where most failures occur. The tiny wires inside will eventually break. The more they are bent, the sooner they will fail.

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
You are welcome @Alan. Congratulations on the release of the new Square HI .

@muunch , I think you are the first (known to us) Square Log owner , any more results to share? glad to know you still vaping bud.

Here a fresh vid for you guys , if anyone wants to chill with me for a HIlog,d-020 Tuna lush session

I show a Knife In the video , I didn’t cast the blade but I did carve the handle from a square block of wood , installed it to knife and custom made the Knife Sheath to go with it . Fun fact, I filmed the video an hour or two ago, my sheath as already modified to include belt/utility attachment convenience :) here’s an updated sheath/knife combo photo .

F9-B7-E0-CD-DEE8-4561-92-FC-8-ABF21-FF97-EA.jpg

037-FFA03-5-A51-445-A-9779-2-B60570-A5-C80.jpg

Ain’t that some gnarly genuine Honduran Mahogany or what :cool:

Vape on !

P.A.M.,
Reactions: Whisper

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
I think you are the first (known to us) Square Log owner , any more results to share? glad to know you still vaping bud.

I am liking it a lot. I prefer to use the Arizer stems for the moment. I will look into getting a 3d flow cooling stem for it, as even with the long arizer stem, I can get a nice cough-inducing tickle from a long pull.

It does suffer a little bit from successive, long draws. I think I will try to get a 15v PS soon so I can crank it up a little more. I am using the right-angled extension cable so I think I'm only getting the equivalent of what would be like 11v~ or so, if I was going direct into the supply.

It definitely roasts well enough, though. It seems to get to temp within about 3~5min but 10~ or so to be fully soaked, but as I said, it can definitely get heat fatigued, even trying to vape one bowl too quickly in my experience.

I love the clean look, and the stability of the square shape. The ability to use arizer stems, SS tipped stems, Alan's beautiful wood stems, or even vapcaps makes this a very versatile log. For the utility it offers, at the price point, it's an amazing addition to any collection, big or small.

It's invaluable to have an assuming plug-in vape that you can always leave out, and on without much worry.

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
thanks @muunch , I hope it’s just your equipment explaining the heat fatigued and not the Square HI.

The HI log ls now have a thread on Vapelife forum folks . Go share your stories , photos and videos there as well

Last edited:
P.A.M.,
Reactions: Whisper

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Oops... look what the posty just brought to me doorstep in the German backwoods :D :o
Looks like Halo Misty found a brand new friend in my new Square HI :love:

37-A1-A344-FD47-4-D2-C-B7-B6-10-AE83-C0364-E.jpg
Looks good with the Halo Misty. Hope you are enjoying it.

I have a bit of bad news. I was riding my bicycle home from the post office yesterday and was clipped by a driver from behind while traveling through a crosswalk with a walk light. The driver turned in front of me and the force of the impact threw me to the pavement. Ended up with a lacerated right ring finger and two fractures in my right pelvis. I need crutches to get around, so there won't be any shop time for a while. Guess the waiting list will just have to slip a little more. Hope I can get back to turning soon.

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
Looks good with the Halo Misty. Hope you are enjoying it.

I have a bit of bad news. I was riding my bicycle home from the post office yesterday and was clipped by a driver from behind while traveling through a crosswalk with a walk light. The driver turned in front of me and the force of the impact threw me to the pavement. Ended up with a lacerated right ring finger and two fractures in my right pelvis. I need crutches to get around, so there won't be any shop time for a while. Guess the waiting list will just have to slip a little more. Hope I can get back to turning soon.
Oh man, sorry to hear about that. Get well soon and good luck with your recovery, Alan!

Top Bottom