Discontinued The Firefly Vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
Great, thanks. I'm heading out to scout some LHS stock, hopefully I can find a reasonable priced replacement to try before contacting Firefly. They did say they'd replace my vaporizer anyway due to a mouthpiece defect it came with out of the box (I'll post a picture sometime when I find a camera that has a good enough macro mode to pick up the small mark), but I was planning on waiting to get it replaced until the Firefly 2 came out so I'd have something to use in the meantime.

Although from what it sounds in the Firefly 2 thread, I probably won't really need my original Fly again after purchasing a 2 anyway xP. Well except for the batteries and external charger, as those awesomely work on both Fly's.

Good luck with the screens.

Hey, an FF1 is a valuable asset. Since they're not making them anymore, they'll be collector's items. I'm personally saving both of my FF1's for the "retro-vape bubble" I see inflating in the 2020's. :lol:

RobDaBomb

Good luck with the screens.

Hey, an FF1 is a valuable asset. Since they're not making them anymore, they'll be collector's items. I'm personally saving both of my FF1's for the "retro-vape bubble" I see inflating in the 2020's. :lol:

Yesterday I was too high to remember it was a Sunday night so all the head shops were already closed when I left, but conveniently when cleaning my car today I found the original Firefly case with the replacement screens!!

So I just put a new one in (man that was a pain to do without using forceful tools in fear of damaging the glass!) and it now it doesn't seem to give off a constant vapor screen when heating an empty bowl. Except if I put the lid on it and then hold down the button until timeout once or twice, then when I took the lid off I see a bit of trapped vapor rise out of the empty bowl for a moment.

It seemed much better though, except when I was getting it near overheating temperatures (where the orange light would appear) I started to notice slight vapor release. It's quite difficult to see the vapor though and I imagine this will wear off over time, but it's definitely still causing some slight paranoia.

RobDaBomb,

encladd

Hey everyone. So I have a quick question for all those Firefly devotees out there. A few moments ago the unthinkable occurred... I dropped my Firefly!!!! It fell from a considerable distance (7-8ft) onto a hard floor. The result: something substantial inside is rattling around. Could be a screw, who knows? Thankfully, the chamber still heats up and glows. So, I was wondering if you all think it is still safe to use. Will it blow up in my face? Will something heat up that I shouldn't be inhaling? I know none of you can give me a definitive answer so I guess I'm just looking for some general advice; kind of a "what would you do?" situation. I was also wondering if anyone thinks it's a good idea to open it up and see what's going on inside (potentially voiding the warranty.) Thanks.

encladd,

mitchgo61

Hey everyone. So I have a quick question for all those Firefly devotees out there. A few moments ago the unthinkable occurred... I dropped my Firefly!!!! It fell from a considerable distance (7-8ft) onto a hard floor. The result: something substantial inside is rattling around. Could be a screw, who knows? Thankfully, the chamber still heats up and glows. So, I was wondering if you all think it is still safe to use. Will it blow up in my face? Will something heat up that I shouldn't be inhaling? I know none of you can give me a definitive answer so I guess I'm just looking for some general advice; kind of a "what would you do?" situation. I was also wondering if anyone thinks it's a good idea to open it up and see what's going on inside (potentially voiding the warranty.) Thanks.

Hmmm. Hard to say without opening it up. I doubt it's a screw...the only screws are the ones you see on the base, and I think there's one that holds the PCB in place. If the FF is still glowing when you hit the heat button then the coil didn't break off (probably the most fragile bit in there). If I had to guess blindly I'd say maybe one of the ceramic ring pieces broke off and is rattling. It's probably safe to use it still but if the rings are out of whack you could easily have performance issues (too cold or too hot etc.).

You have three choices....

1. Do nothing (and use it, or not).
2. Open it up and see what's going on. Upside...you see a loose piece you can just remove without harm or significant effect. Downside...you make it worse and potentially void the warranty. (But, you've dropped it, so any repair FF may do on it could be considered extra-warranty given this type of damage isn't covered.)
3. Call FF before you do anything and see what they say and/or offer to do for you.

I vote for 3. :2c:

encladd

Hmmm. Hard to say without opening it up. I doubt it's a screw...the only screws are the ones you see on the base, and I think there's one that holds the PCB in place. If the FF is still glowing when you hit the heat button then the coil didn't break off (probably the most fragile bit in there). If I had to guess blindly I'd say maybe one of the ceramic ring pieces broke off and is rattling. It's probably safe to use it still but if the rings are out of whack you could easily have performance issues (too cold or too hot etc.).

You have three choices....

1. Do nothing (and use it, or not).
2. Open it up and see what's going on. Upside...you see a loose piece you can just remove without harm or significant effect. Downside...you make it worse and potentially void the warranty. (But, you've dropped it, so any repair FF may do on it could be considered extra-warranty given this type of damage isn't covered.)
3. Call FF before you do anything and see what they say and/or offer to do for you.

I vote for 3. :2c:
Thanks for the prompt reply... So, curiosity got the best of me and I went with door #2. Upon inspection, shards of the glass ring broke off from the impact and were floating around inside. Oddly enough, the glass ring didn't completely shatter, leaving it still in one solid and connected piece (but with chunks missing), if that makes any sense. The ceramic ring is intact and thankfully so is the exposed glass bowl. I'll give an update in regards to performance issues if anyone is interested.

fogbank

Hey everybody, I haven't used my Firefly all week because every time I heat it up a few times with an empty bowl (to the point where the device gets quite hot to the touch) a thick vapor/smoke-like trail starts releasing from the bottom of the empty bowl chamber. It appears as if its coming from under the screen.

I started using my Firefly less and less recently because every time the device gets hot enough (like 5-10 minutes of use) I notice the vapor quality started becoming irritating to me. So subconsciously I just started dumping out bowls that were still green because the vapor just was too unpleasant.

Then this week I cleaned the Firefly (holding it upside down while rubbing the bowl with a lightly dampened Qtip) and decided to see what the device was doing with an empty bowl.... now is when I'm seeing this constant vapor stream. I've done almost a half dozen or so of these 'burn offs' where I literally just take the top cover off, keep the bowl empty, and then hold down the button until it times out and repeat.

This vapor/smoke just keeps coming. At first it smelled like popcorn/hazlenutty ABV, but now it has a very weird odor. I don't know, I could be crazy but I swear it smells like burning rubber almost.

This only happens after the first few minutes of straight use it seems though. So if I were to pack a bowl, I still could get those 'flavor hits' fine... although I'm concerned to actually try roasting and finishing a full bowl again just because seeing that vapor leaving an empty bowl is startling.

Anybody have any input on this? I'm sure it's not off gassing... I mean, like the main reason I looked into the Firefly initially was because it seemed virtually un-off gassable. So then it must be like small weed particles that fell through the screen? And if so how long do you think it'll take until the empty-bowl vaping goes away?

Thanks!

I don't know if this is relevant but...

Before I started using different screens in my Fireflies (7 hole Iolite screen in one, Arizer basket/dome screen in the other) I experienced combustion a few times. I mean real combustion with visible flame light and acrid smoke. I noticed that once the combustion occurred in one session, it would sometimes occur again the very next session, even at the beginning of a session when there was very little heat. It even happened a few seconds into the very first draw of a session once, after combustion occurred in the previous session the day before. It seemed like it was on a "combustion streak".

I decided that when this happened I would open the Firefly completely, using Torx screwdrivers to disassemble it fully, clean it, and re-assemble it. This always seemed to break the "combustion streak".

I know this may void the warranty, but I did it anyway. If you feel comfortable with the process it might just fix your problem.

RobDaBomb

I don't know if this is relevant but...

Before I started using different screens in my Fireflies (7 hole Iolite screen in one, Arizer basket/dome screen in the other) I experienced combustion a few times. I mean real combustion with visible flame light and acrid smoke. I noticed that once the combustion occurred in one session, it would sometimes occur again the very next session, even at the beginning of a session when there was very little heat. It even happened a few seconds into the very first draw of a session once, after combustion occurred in the previous session the day before. It seemed like it was on a "combustion streak".

I decided that when this happened I would open the Firefly completely, using Torx screwdrivers to disassemble it fully, clean it, and re-assemble it. This always seemed to break the "combustion streak".

I know this may void the warranty, but I did it anyway. If you feel comfortable with the process it might just fix your problem.

I think you're onto something. I'm not getting combustion now, but when I started using the finely grounded bud from prerolls in the Firefly I was. I've now stopped using the preroll bud in it, but I'm sure that the mess is still inside it.

Right now I won't risk voiding the warranty over it as I already know Firefly will replace it due to a visual defect, but this is something I will keep in mind for the future. If it ever happens again after I get my replacement, then I think I may just pop it open and clean it like you did.

Was it easy to take apart and put back together? Was anything loose after you opened it up?

RobDaBomb,

fogbank

Was it easy to take apart and put back together? Was anything loose after you opened it up?

I wouldn't call it "easy" to put back together. You have to line things up just right. There are plenty of other FC members who have done it, so you might get some tips from them.

I didn't notice anything loose when I opened it.

fogbank,
Reactions: Stu

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I wouldn't call it "easy" to put back together. You have to line things up just right. There are plenty of other FC members who have done it, so you might get some tips from them.

I didn't notice anything loose when I opened it.
It wasn't easy for me, so I advise against it. I had a very hard time seating the heater assembly. At the end of the day I got it back together, but took some time. :2c:

:peace:

mitchgo61

It wasn't easy for me, so I advise against it. I had a very hard time seating the heater assembly. At the end of the day I got it back together, but took some time. :2c:

:peace:

Yes. This. Be careful....any incorrect lineup of the ceramic ring assembly will make your FF too cool. Or too hot. It's very easy to mis-align the pieces. And then, technically, you've voided the warranty.

mitchgo61,
Reactions: Stu

sammac

Is there anywhere you can buy the new 770 batteries. The Firefly website has been out of stock since the beginning of January and I have had a completely dead battery since and have been patiently waiting but all I see is the date moved further and further back. I am suppose to be on a list where they will alert me when they have some in stock but this is ridiculous.

mulciber

Is there anywhere you can buy the new 770 batteries. The Firefly website has been out of stock since the beginning of January and I have had a completely dead battery since and have been patiently waiting but all I see is the date moved further and further back. I am suppose to be on a list where they will alert me when they have some in stock but this is ridiculous.

I just ordered one from http://vapesociety.com but I have not received it (it's only been a few days). I've never ordered from them before, and so I cannot vouch for their service yet.

DGI

I just ordered one from http://vapesociety.com but I have not received it (it's only been a few days). I've never ordered from them before, and so I cannot vouch for their service yet.

Just checked their website and it says "sold out". I inquired about my order and was told it "has been processed and is now queued for shipment", which seems to be just enough wiggle room for them to say that processing involves my waiting an undetermined time while they hold my payment.

Which leads me to a broad criticism that makes me want to start a new thread (though this might not be the appropriate forum and I haven't the patience to deal w/reddit at the moment). The thread would be called, "A very good reason NOT to buy a Firefly."

I may be mistaken here, and by all means let me know if I'm out of line, but the battery situation with FF ought to be a deal-breaker for anyone considering purchasing it. I got my FF six months ago and I admit I love it. It disappointed in a few areas, but to a degree I could happily live with. Had to send it back for three weeks because there was a slight problem with the heat cutoff. Otherwise it's my constant tool of choice.

However, I bought it with two batteries and less than a half year later neither will charge enough to work for more than a short time. They're done, and as the OP points out, they're nearly impossible to replace. What does it say, that everywhere you look they're sold out? Clearly the FF is burning through batteries at a rate approaching 4 per year if used continuously.

So if you think the Firefly is an expensive device, consider the $120/year "membership fee".

This is, of course, based on the current/classic model. Perhaps it's been addressed in the revision.

DGI

Note that after writing this I checked the website and they appear to be sold out. I inquired about my order and they responded with a message saying that my order had shipped.

DGI

Last edited by a moderator:
mulciber,
Reactions: CNYC

Astedra

I have had the firefly for two months and now it keeps combusting, every bowl. I guess it's time to send it in?

$&&@@0$! Vapes when they brake.

Vape world sells firefly 770 batteries in Canada.

Edit: cleaning the airflow hole did the trick no more combustion.

Last edited:
Astedra,
Reactions: flipjoe

flipjoe

My beloved Firefly won't heat up anymore. :( And 3 weeks ago my Crafty died on me. The good thing is i got a Mighty-Upgrade which was worth it.
But i'm really sad about the dead firefly. Had it since May 2015 and only 2 months ago i really started appreciating this delicious vaporizer. When i got it i was searching for the right heating time to get the biggest clouds. As most of you it took me some time to learn it. But during the last weeks i discovered that i like the firefly best when i take short draws. No big clouds but incredibly tasty vapor. Now i know why a lot of people agree that the firefly has the most flavor of all portable vapes.
I hope i'll get it back soon and everything works out fine.

Does anyone have experiences with customer service over here in europe (germany)? I hope i can send it back to the online shop where i bought it as sending it over to Firefly will take some time.

flipjoe,

flipjoe

Got a new Firefly from the online store i bought it and i'm in love again.:love: Asked them to give me a black one for the broken silver one. I loved the silver one but i think i like black even more.

I'll probably get a Firefly 2 when they're available but i have the feeling that the Firefly 1 will always be one of my favorite vapes. Hope the new one i got will work longer than 9 months. It's a shame that it will probably die at some point too as this is such a great device. But i guess a little portable machine that heats up can't function forever.

Astedra

So I bought the ff in December 5 year warranty. Do you think they'll honour my warranty for 5 years with an ff replacement or an upgrade to ff2 for a fee. Still they have to honor it.

Astedra,

Vakas

Your warranty should be good for 5 years no matter what since thats what FF1 has...

Not sure about the upgrade fee.. I would love to upgrade to a ff2, so if someone can get us FC members an upgrade deal, that would be awesome.

Vakas,

jim-bob

So I bought the ff in December 5 year warranty. Do you think they'll honour my warranty for 5 years with an ff replacement or an upgrade to ff2 for a fee. Still they have to honor it.
I would suspect that instead of upgrading you to an FF2 that they'll just keep happily replacing your busted FF1s. That's what I'm expecting for mine, at least..

jim-bob,

mitchgo61

I would suspect that instead of upgrading you to an FF2 that they'll just keep happily replacing your busted FF1s. That's what I'm expecting for mine, at least..

This is where I'd place my bet. They stopped manufacturing the FF1 a little while ago, but as long as they have units warehoused they'll be replacing dead 1s with new 1s.

I haven't heard any chatter about an upgrade program...I suspect they won't be doing one. But you never know.

mitchgo61,

Silver0066

I pre-ordered the Firefly 2 in late February for what they stated as May shipment. I just found out that they charged my Credit Card $356.35 on March 1st. I have never heard of a company that charges 3 months before they say they will ship. In addition, their phone number is no longer on their website.

This is very suspicious. Has anyone heard of this kind of treatment from Firefly?

Silver0066,

mulciber

I pre-ordered the Firefly 2 in late February for what they stated as May shipment. I just found out that they charged my Credit Card $356.35 on March 1st. I have never heard of a company that charges 3 months before they say they will ship. In addition, their phone number is no longer on their website.

This is very suspicious. Has anyone heard of this kind of treatment from Firefly?

Well, there's the Grasshopper (same practice - payment way ahead of delivery), but that's a different kind of situation. I think you'll get a better response using the online chat with Firefly. I always have.

DGI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom