Discontinued The Firefly Vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vapor X

My lips are numb from the vapors coming out of the FF giving me the cotton mouth. Giving me the perfect reason to start an afterwork cognac sipping session.:cool:

Vapor X,
Reactions: mckeen

fogbank

I have noticed that drawing very slowly gives a good overall usage of the herb since air passes thru slowly. I tend to draw faster when releasing the button and slower while holding it.

I have done a complete 180 degree turn on my technique since I first got the FF. I started out with hard fast draws, but have now learned how slower draws can be just as effective at producing vapor. The key for me was not stopping my draw too early. Mine really seems to produce a lot of vapor after I release the button.

It does point out that there is more than one way to get vapor from the Firefly.

Weird I find the convection heating FAR less irritating than conduction vapes.

Me too. My Solo and Firefly are far less irritating than my Pax, PNP, etc...

Do any of you guys get a dark spot in the center of your load. It must be like a hotspot in the center. Maybe I'm not ripping hard enough or putting a little too much bud. Still have nice clouds though and doesn't taste too bad.

Thekidthatshigh,

ktom1991

Has anyone taken the firefly apart? I'd love to see what exactly is under that stainless steel plate or how the top plate comes apart to service the gasket.

ktom1991,

redVape

Do any of you guys get a dark spot in the center of your load. It must be like a hotspot in the center. Maybe I'm not ripping hard enough or putting a little too much bud. Still have nice clouds though and doesn't taste too bad.

Yes i do get that too! Found nothing else to do about it except stirring around the material with the plastic toothpick so all the fresh load is placed in the center bottom.

redVape,

darkrom

Great Scott!

This for me happens when I overpack. Overpack = hotspot. I put less and less in until I realized it just needs some space to move around. Find the right amount and it'll vape nice and even. I don't pack it down at all and now I have no hot spots.

ktom1991

Hey all, sorry this took a bit longer than expected, but I haven't seen any other teardown pictures, so here they are. Sorry about the cell phone pictures, my real camera is out of commission at the moment.

jtcn.jpg

Five T6 screws remove the top plate.

hbq2.jpg

Closer view of the inside.

3zfq.jpg

Glass bowl lifts right out, as does the metal plate at the bottom of the bowl. The whole bowl assembly is held together by pressure from the top plate. None of these gaskets are attached, so should be easy to replace if need be, though I don't see why you would need to. The gasket around the screen keeps material out of the inside of the device. I had a little bit of material built up there under the bottom edge of the bowl that had been stopped by the gasket, but that doesn't seem to influence functionality. Doesn't get hot enough there to worry about combustion.

m5ha.jpg

Next that white plate comes out, exposing the heating coil. All the white bits here feel like ceramic, or could just be a different type of (seriously) high-temperature glass.

Since I'm not willing to bend any of the wiring for the heating coil, three T5 screws holding in the circuit board need to be removed next, then it lifts right out.
lc84.jpg

Close up of the top of the board. Judging by the version number (2.93) on the board, they went though a hell of a lot of revisions to get this right.

96qw.jpg

And the bottom of the board. You can see the battery connection in the middle there, power switch is at the bottom left, and heating button is on the top.

I can't even imagine what type of metal the heating coil is made of to be able to withstand 50 watts running through it, rapid heat cycling, and such high temperatures in ambient air. Like I said before, light bulbs flame out in seconds without an inert gas protecting them.

Have you taken apart the top plate at all? The gasket on mine is slipping out and i was wondering if theres an easy way to re-seat it.

ktom1991,

ktom1991

Last edited:
ktom1991,

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
Have you taken apart the top plate at all? The gasket on mine is slipping out and i was wondering if theres an easy way to re-seat it.

A. Torx 5 microscrew bit...loosen the three port screws slowly, slightly. Half turns at most. Use a toothpick to push the gasket carefully into its groove. Hold the lid up to a light...if the window looks perfectly round, the gasket is back in place. Any areas where you see a line, push that bit of the gasket into the groove. Carefully re tighten the screws slowly and not too much...too hard will make the gasket pop again.

Or....

B. Call FF and they will send you an RMA to return the lid and get a replacement.

Doesn't hurt to try a fix yourself...if you can't fix it, you can get a replacement from FF.

Last edited by a moderator:

darkrom

Great Scott!
So I found this on ebay..... http://www.ebay.com/itm/FIREFLY-VAP...036?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35d1dc08ec

Anyone know where to legitimately order one of these car chargers? I haven't seen an official FF car charger anywhere else.

Something tells me we can find this charger for MUCH less than the $40 listed here, just not called a firefly charger. Why not get someone in here like @OF who is a damn genius with stuff like this.

Maybe we can all throw a collective pool to buy one of the battery experts here at FC one of those chargers, and then let them tell us a much cheaper alternative lol.

PS: Check out model info. Ploom/pax stuff all over the description. Very odd.

cancertoast

I've noticed that it takes a lot of work to get my herb a nice brown ABV with the FF, unless i'm using an Arizer basket. My ABV is usually dark dark green, so I just set my Extreme to 420f (ironically,) and take a magic trip through my mind.

Just happened to me. Thanks @mitchgo61 — went for a replacement. Easy as pie with Firefly. I like the lack of pain in dealing with Firefly customer service...it's so nice.

Can confirm, FF customer service is amazing. I do CS for a web business, and Shelby/company is super! My gasket came loose, Shelby recommended that a new lid be shipped. It should show up today.

hoyo77

They are so great. They get the lifetime value of a customer...I'm considering a second FF in no small part thanks to their service.
This vaporizer has that effect on you. I may be the only one, but ah after a few bowls in my FF I often find myself fantasizing about FFver2.....yeah I admit it!!

hoyo77,
Reactions: steama

WildChild

Seeking My Shangri-La
For those of you who use herb to deal with physical pain...do you find the FF can extract well enough to get to those higher boiling point goodies? My understanding is that THC is easily reached but the rest needs higher temps.

I'm hoping my replacement runs a bit hotter for me...

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
For those of you who use herb to deal with physical pain...do you find the FF can extract well enough to get to those higher boiling point goodies? My understanding is that THC is easily reached but the rest needs higher temps.

I'm hoping my replacement runs a bit hotter for me...

Yes. I get dark, dark brown, can char stuff if I try. I can't seem to extract the very last hit or two, but I'm definitely getting 95% of the high temp goodies.

hoyo77

I d
Appreciate the feedback, @mitchgo61. I'm looking forward to my replacement...

I don't know if mine runs hot or cold...but with using the arizer basket my ABV is a nice DARK brown and very uniform. I love the 3rd and 4th hit, when I stir the bowl and tap it down with my finger..that 3rd and 4th hit is so robust and flavorful...reminds of a good maduro cigar and sipping a nice cognac while in a nice lazy boy recliner. my FF has taken its place next to the Cognac bottle. Have not tried to combust, I think I could.

hoyo77,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Wasn't someone talking about issues with the heat button and having to hit it a certain way to work? I've got that going on right now :(

The half of the button near the mouthpiece is dead, but the other half works. I want to send it in to get fixed, but my 2nd battery just came today :/

darkrom,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom