Discontinued The Firefly Vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

fogbank

What worked best for me was to let it heat up for 7 seconds, let go of the button for 1 second, hold in the button while sipping at it for four seconds and then letting go of the button while sipping at it.

It sounds like you're doubling up on the button presses. If you find you are reaching combustion temps with that technique you may want to eliminate the double button press. From what I've read, the Firefly starts the heating cycle at a higher temp, then tapers it down after a bit. According to the manufacturer, repeated button presses can cause the unit to begin the heating cycle again, which means higher temperatures for the first few seconds after the button is pushed.

You need roommates like mine, they bought me some sweet rims for my car bed :tup:
Welcome to the forum!
I am under the assumption that the shipping boxes are relatively discreet because I have not heard an uproar around hear about it, usually do if it's not.
Hope you enjoy the vape!
Did I say roommates? I meant parents:lol:

Also if no one is home when it gets dlivered by Fed-Ex will they still leave it at the door?

Last edited by a moderator:

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
It sounds like you're doubling up on the button presses. If you find you are reaching combustion temps with that technique you may want to eliminate the double button press. From what I've read, the Firefly starts the heating cycle at a higher temp, then tapers it down after a bit. According to the manufacturer, repeated button presses can cause the unit to begin the heating cycle again, which means higher temperatures for the first few seconds after the button is pushed.

Yup. They caution against doing it for this very reason. But, you know, whatever works...but it definitely risks overheating.

Super discreet. Holdings Company or something similar

They are so discrete that I couldn't identify the charge on the credit card statement...

I do not believe it is the so called thermal mass build-up spoke of here which makes the Firefly produce more copious vapor later in a session if we are talking hardware. I do not think the hardware is getting hot enough to add to the vapor production in the slightest amount, if at all. Though I do like my Firefly warm — it feels good.

I think that what makes for the better vapor is your 'organics' have all been heated up and therefore produce more vapor as your session progresses — as in a convection vaporizer.

It isn't hot enough to create vapor per se, but it does increase efficiency later in a session...the more heat retained by the device, the less hard the heater has to work to achieve temps. I agree that as with any convection vape the material gives up more copious vapor after a few hits...that combined with increased thermal mass can somewhat counteract the waning vapor in the back half of the session. But it's a zero sum game...you either get that vapor earlier, or later, but requiring more hits. A push, as I said before. (And yes, very pleasant to hold a warm FF this time of year!)

Last edited:

fernand

Because there is no temp sensor (that I can see), I guess it's what you call an open loop control system -- not like a thermostat. It can only estimate the temp based on how much current it's pulling. It stands to reason that since the device's behavior is set in advance entirely by the firmware, without "knowing" how hot the load is, there will be ways to force it into various states and temps. It would help if the company put up some diagrams with temp readings.

Yes the substances dry out. Yes that makes the job easier. The various parts around the heating coil heat up as you use it, and it's likely that it makes the air that much hotter as it passes through. It adds up. I don't think it matters if that's called pure convection or not.

Ordered it yesterday and it is already scheduled to be here today with just the $10 shipping! I'm so exited but idk if anyone with be home to sign the paper:(

Thekidthatshigh,
Reactions: mckeen

dc_tke

It seemed to work ok. I tried it and held the button less this time and it worked as well and didn't get too hot.

Just out of curiosity, what is your technique?

Thanks.

dc_tke,
Reactions: mckeen

Shiggity

The Firefly's thermal mass you speak of is not having an effect on the vapor at all. The better vapor later in your session is almost solely because the organic matter has been pre-heated and is then yielding more vapor. The heat held in the Firefly is not helping the element reach its temp. The Firefly hits 400ºF nearly instantly (not relying on thermal mass). All the thermal mass is doing is making the unit feel warm in your hand.
I agree. I think what makes people feel this is the case is that until the chrome airway plate warms up it cools the vapor to the point that you dont sense it as much. Less taste, less visible exhalation vapor. When the chrome airway plate and lid warm to a certain temperature the taste of the vapor is more present. Just like the difference between cold beer and warm beer. Or cold vs warm coffee.

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
The Firefly's thermal mass you speak of is not having an effect on the vapor at all. The better vapor later in your session is almost solely because the organic matter has been pre-heated and is then yielding more vapor. The heat held in the Firefly is not helping the element reach its temp. The Firefly hits 400ºF nearly instantly (not relying on thermal mass). All the thermal mass is doing is making the unit feel warm in your hand.

The heater reaches 400 quickly. How hot the chamber becomes is a function of how hot the surrounding glass and metal are. Thermodynamics moves heat molecules to cold surfaces. A cold FF will take longer, maybe just seconds, to get the herb chamber up to temp.

Easy test....refill a bowl midway through, while the FF is hot. See if that first hit is bigger than a normal first hit on a cold FF. If so, it's quite likely the FF thermal mass plays a part in increasing efficiency. (I've done it...I get a much better hit on fresh material n a warm FF than a cold one....that's not due to the material being partly vaped, since it's fresh.)

I agree. I think what makes people feel this is the case is that until the chrome airway plate warms up it cools the vapor to the point that you dont sense it as much. Less taste, less visible exhalation vapor. When the chrome airway plate and lid warm to a certain temperature the taste of the vapor is more present. Just like the difference between cold beer and warm beer. Or cold vs warm coffee.

Put hot coffee in a cold mug, and the same temp coffee in a hot mug. One has a minimal thermal mass that retains heat in the material more efficiently than the other. Again, first law of thermodynamics...heat moves to the cold material. When all the surrounding material is already heated, the heat stays in place longer, increasing efficiency. It's a small amount of increased efficiency, for sure, but it's not zero.

No one is claiming the thermal mass generates clouds on its own....but it's demonstrably true, at least on my unit, that a fully warmed-up FF delivers hits a bit faster and more efficiently regardless of the state of the material.

Last edited:

Shiggity

But if the unit is already warm, it will do so using less energy.
If thermal mass wasn't part of the design,
then there wouldn't have been a need to make the ff so heavy.
:2c:
The thermal mass in the body of the firefly was put there so that the unit would not get too hot and be uncomfortable to hold. If the hot coil was embedded in the thermal mass it would make a big difference. But the coil is free floating and allows the air going past it to heat quickly. Some of theat hot air laden with vapor will condense faster in an airway that is cold but I dont think the difference in temperature of the chrome airway is that great in the heated vs non heated state that it would make less vapor get to your lungs. I do think it changes the taste quality of that vapor though by having it a little cooler. This is what we are sensing as a difference.

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
For thermal mass to be relevant wouldn't the heating element have to retain the heat best? When I think retained heat I think VXH's Cloud where the bamboo needs to be heat saturated to give best performance. On the outside of the bamboo is the heater and insulation, the glass is what's kept up to temp. Wouldn't the coil have to be kept to temperature for thermal mass to play as big a role as you guys/girls think it does? It's a pretty small coil so I would assume that once the power is let off and you're still drawing on it, that it would cool down very quickly.

In any case, if it's working who cares? :lol:

Vitolo

Vaporist
Just pleased to enjoy the FF!
17273.gif

@Shiggity I borrowed your Avatar for a minute... and am returning him now.
Feel free to use the GIF if you wish.

hoyo77

For thermal mass to be relevant wouldn't the heating element have to retain the heat best? When I think retained heat I think VXH's Cloud where the bamboo needs to be heat saturated to give best performance. On the outside of the bamboo is the heater and insulation, the glass is what's kept up to temp. Wouldn't the coil have to be kept to temperature for thermal mass to play as big a role as you guys/girls think it does? It's a pretty small coil so I would assume that once the power is let off and you're still drawing on it, that it would cool down very quickly.

In any case, if it's working who cares? :lol:
All i know is i fill my arizer screen and load it into my FF and i get nice and medicated. Real simple. I am an I.T. person by trade. I do enough techie shit at work. All i need from my FF is to produce some nice clouds and i expect every so often to cough up a lung while doing so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom