The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to stir every 2-3 hits, or 1 if I'm repeatedly pressing the heater button on one draw, to take a big hit. Otherwise it will get charred on the bottom.
I had it combust on me this morning for the 2nd time. It was a little chilly out so I did a few cigar puffs to pre heat it, when I started inhaling, it was the nasty combusted smoke choking me out. I wish I knew why it is doing that, I don't like worrying about getting stunk up from random combustion!
Yeah pretty weird. Seems to work pretty nicely other than that. Will try more tomorrow. Not too much of a turnoff but im somewhat blaming it on small particles of stem being heated and because the stem isnt moist like the flower prob just chars under temps

bradymyersvapes,

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
Yeah pretty weird. Seems to work pretty nicely other than that. Will try more tomorrow. Not too much of a turnoff but im somewhat blaming it on small particles of stem being heated and because the stem isnt moist like the flower prob just chars under temps
Charring is normal with any convection vape if material is packed tightly, or not stirred. Pyrolysis occurs when two of the three essential elements of combustion are present but there is insufficient oxygen. It's hot enough to combust in parts of the material, but there isn't oxygen to get full combustion. Thus you get a little charring. Stir more often, moderate your hits, maybe pack less....but basically it's normal in this kind of vape. How you deal with it varies.

Last edited:
Charring is normal with any convection vape if material is packed tightly, or not stirred. Pyrolysis occurs when two of the three of the essential elements of combustion are present but there is insufficient oxygen. It's hot enough to combust in parts of the material, but there isn't oxygen to get full combustion. Thus you get a little charring. Stir more often, moderate your hits, maybe pack less....but basically it's normal in this kind of vape. How you deal with it varies.
Would you say i shouldnt really worry then? Vape is working nicely i think my 1 set of herb isnt up to par going to try my other stuff today i just wanna make sure im not wasting anything

bradymyersvapes,

Splorgle

Actively Dismembered
Alright, so I think I found my combustion culprit. After dumping out my load I noticed both times there was a bunch of really dry, fine, bits of herb on the bottom, I hand grind the herb, and store in a keychain tupperware container. But small pieces of shake that accumulate in my storage jar have been sticking to the bottom of my loads, when I pinch them out of my little container.
I can feel the air flow get restricted down to almost nothing a split second before combustion, it's gotta be that shake clogging up the airflow. I'm not pre shredding my herb anymore, to keep from more shake from building up. Just shred as I load, and light cleaning more often, to clear off built up resin on the glass oven side and I think I'll be golden!

Splorgle,

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
Would you say i shouldnt really worry then? Vape is working nicely i think my 1 set of herb isnt up to par going to try my other stuff today i just wanna make sure im not wasting anything
Yeah I wouldn't worry. If you start having uncontrolled combustion you can worry then. :)

mitchgo61,

MadDoctor

I have see on here someone has does a teardown on the ff2, maybe someone can advise me.

I have noticed today that there is a break in what appears to be a thin layer of plastic, and this is coming away from what must be the glass (see below images).

Is this merely cosmetic, or will this affect the operation, performance &/or lifespan of the vape?

What should I do, should I stop using the vape (which still seems to work fine)?

I am pretty gutted as they are not cheap. Thanks for any advice.

firefly%20fault%201.jpg
firefly%20fault%202.jpg

MadDoctor,

NYC_Frank

"A man with no vices is a man with no virtues"
Thank you

Well I tried and they said no .... They classified it like a battery degradation issue and said the limited warranty on the battery had expired ...I've had it 5 months .... But I noticed that the problem only occurs when the battery is fully charged ...if I let it sit for a day it works fine ....my guess is that it degrades a little off the full charge and fools the electronics into working properly

NYC_Frank,

paco FF2

if that unit didn't touch the floor (accidentally) then this ain't normal bud!
i would contact firefly asap :goon:

paco FF2,

sunliight

Guys something I noticed after 2 months of use, if you are not getting big clouds or no clouds whatsoever on medium (where you should), just push the lid slightly from the directrion of mouthpiece to the bowl. Still not getting 100% results, sadly.

sunliight,

Splorgle

Actively Dismembered
I clean mine with iso often, and watered qtip for the gasket, (every 3-5 loads) got the grind consistency, and load packed-ness down. I use med-high heat, stir every two hits. Give the lid a little wiggle when I put it on. I start taking as slow as humanly possible drags at first, as the FF2 heats up I can take harder and harder draws, until I don't really have to worry about draw speed. I get consistently great hits since doing all this. I don't sit there needing to vape a crap load, one small load, or two medium loads if I'm sharing with my girlfriend (she likes her IQ more so I don't usually have to share... more for me!) It works perfect for me... it sucks that more people aren't having as good results, but I don't really mind, maybe they'll lower prices on accessories if too many people don't like it lol.

Lookatmeglow

I seem to have a bad case of VAS
@Splorgle we are in a bit opposite situation. You and my girlfriend share a similar use and she rarely shares with me because I will usually be using a different unit. Her main drivers are the pax 2, arizer air, and firefly 2. One for on the go, one for relaxing at home, and one for on demand hit.

You both draw from the unit the same way and I can here when she has reached the point of not caring about draw speed. The firefly 2 has a very distinct whistle lol. She normally sticks with medium or medium-high as well.

I like higher temperatures, so I use high and the concentrate setting with concentrates most often when she is using something else. I agree that I wish others had an easier time with it. It took me about a week before I figured it out. Took her all of 5 minutes after the battery was charged. Her first hit, the lid wasn't on properly. Once that was adjusted she hasn't gotten a bad hit, minus the occasional under packing, since.

If you haven't already, the external charger is/was in stock last time I checked. I grabbed one and it made the firely 2 much more usable on the go.

Lookatmeglow,

Irish vaper

Hi guys.
My FF2 is coming In post tomorrow and I just tried to download the app but apparently my phone is not compatible.

Am I going to have to get a new phone to use ff2 or will I be able to enjoy my new vape without d app?

Thanks, Irish Vaper

Xelatsok

vapes tobacco modding the vapes
Just a friendly word in the hear...the large fonts, bold, and canary yellow makes it feel like you are yelling at us. Just saying, mate, but its up to you of course.
+1, I skip, ignore colored messages.

Xelatsok,

justvapin

Enthusiastic Cannabis Consumer
Maybe you have a friend with a phone that will work......once you set it, you don't have to change it all the time unless you want to......and for the record, you CAN use it, but will be stuck with the presets that it is on when you get it......

Irish vaper

Maybe you have a friend with a phone that will work......once you set it, you don't have to change it all the time unless you want to......and for the record, you CAN use it, but will be stuck with the presets that it is on when you get it......

Cheers @justvapin but it doesn't matter cos it did not come in post this morning:mad: :mad:  and now I have to go to the Dam without it.

Good job I have my mighty Mighty!:leaf::leaf:

yogoshio

Annoying Libertarian
Recently I hurt my foot (note to others, wear proper foot safety gear when working with chainsaws, I'm thankful it was only 11 stitches!!!) and I was using the FF2 today as I wanted to keep my vape with me as opposed to constantly getting up (Cloud EVO is my DD normally).

Holy shit I forgot how amazing this thing is!! While not like the Evo, got bigger clouds than my PAX1, incredibly smooth, and unbelievable flavor, way above the Evo. I know there are some who have had struggles with theirs, I can easily say this thing is an amazingly powerful, efficient, and slick vaporizer.

Achebe

Hello all. Have been using my ff2 for a few weeks now and letting the resin build for a while without cleaning. Any techniques on getting good reclaim from the honey trail left behind on this device? The oil in the honey trail looks so pure already that I'd rather not taint it by using a solvent extraction (my usual process with other vapes is to use either iso or ethanol). Here, although the actual oil looks pure, it's polluted with tiny flecks of abv all throughout the trail. If I scraped it up as-is, put it on a concentrate pad, and hit at the concentrate setting, the flecks of abv would likely combust right? Anyone have tips on scraping up the reclaim sans abv? I saw one poster back in September mentioned working the reclaim back and forth between two razor blades to somehow get the plant matter out. Does anyone else have good techniques for reclaiming, or is everyone just cleaning with iso then evaporating the solvent?

Zack de la Mota

Does anyone pack their Firefly 2 with hash? If you do, do you use the concentrate pads and what kind of hash do you use?

Zack de la Mota,

bmwm3p

I am in love with this thing, for the past two weeks I've been vaping a salad of og kush and Walter White the combined taste of these two strains is amazing. My firefly 2 loves them if you hit a fresh bowl on high with 111 power tuning the first few rips are just on another level, the taste is incredible you get a ton of incredibly tasty vapor not only that it smells divine. This vape has been amazing for me, either with my friends or by myself, mixing strains, experimenting with the different profiles and tuning it just works.

Splorgle

Actively Dismembered
I've got a bunch of the extras... concentrate pads, external charger, zipper case. I just need a pack of mouthpieces, extra jet black lid, and battery cover. The only thing I really need as soon as possible as the mouthpieces, one of the little clips on the edge broke off. It still holds itself in place though. My lid and battery cover or fine, but I like having backups and extra pieces!

vape4fun

For various reasons I've moved away from this vape but it's time to return. I rewatched some YouTube videos and they packed it pretty far above the rim really pressing against the glass. Do you guys do this? I felt before I packed it to the brim but not over it and when stirring I would slowly lose some to my fingers etc and the hits quickly diminished. I ended up taking what was left throwing it in the Pax and getting 6-8 more nice hits. Perhaps the initial problem was I wasn't packing enough.

I still got nice clouds and effects but after the first stir these started expo exponentially decreasing.

So in conclusion do you pack it above the brim or to the brim and slightly
Above or a decent amount above?

vape4fun,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom