The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay87

With the success that they've had with the FF2 and the original as well, why would the CEO be misleading as to show in the video what looks like herbs, and then produce thick clouds that aren't very typical with vaping unless it's e-juice lol...could be legit, I dunno...I hope it's not deception, that's not cool...is the standard power set at 100% without any tweaking? Does going up 11% really make that much of a difference?

I'm just saying that it is definitely possible that the combination of the best flowers that a CEO of a vaporizer company can buy, mixed with a custom beta app made just for him, with a few studio lights, yeah you could make some ridiculous looking clouds for sure. But like you said it's also possible that it was faked or "enhanced material" as well.

Let me throw out this possibility as well, if his bud was sprinkled with real concentrate then those clouds are 100% achievable, granted that wouldn't be 100% honest but you get the idea.

If you think that video the CEO posted was bad, I guarantee that if a big vaporizer reviewer reviews the FF2 post-update and uses lighting to show the vapor production, people would lose their shit over how big the clouds look.

And does 11% really make that much of a difference? In short, YES!! :rockon:

that 11% makes the vapor come much faster, it's much thicker, much easier to draw slow or fast, and the added temperature is what I needed to completely extract my concentrates.

I've got literally 0 complaints about the FF2 post update.

Boros

@jay87 I feel you, didn't think much about that video til Baron said something lol...I was saying that I would be surprised if it was fake given how much success they've had...then again stranger things have happened lol...how is the battery life? Are ppl really only getting 3 sessions outta this thing before it's dead? I do like to vaporize with my gf, and I don't mind packing a few bowls...but that would suck if we didn't even make it through one solid session before the battery was dead...with my solo, I can easily get 7-9 sessions before I have to put it on the charger...

Boros,
Reactions: jay87

jay87

@jay87 I feel you, didn't think much about that video til Baron said something lol...I was saying that I would be surprised if it was fake given how much success they've had...then again stranger things have happened lol...how is the battery life? Are ppl really only getting 3 sessions outta this thing before it's dead? I do like to vaporize with my gf, and I don't mind packing a few bowls...but that would suck if we didn't even make it through one solid session before the battery was dead...with my solo, I can easily get 7-9 sessions before I have to put it on the charger...

In my opinion the battery life does leave something to be desired. Firefly clearly knew this as they even sent the FF2 with 2 batteries which does help to alleviate this issue.

I've been using the highest possible heat setting and taking long draws so basically the most battery intensive method possible and I can get 3-4 sessions or 3-4 dabs of concentrate per battery.

I'd assume if you're using a lower heat setting you may get a bit longer battery life.

The FF2 shines as a solo vape, but with just 2 people It should be sufficient. If I was sharing with 3+ people I'd probably be reaching for another vape or just have each member pack their own load separately.

I will say though I think this thing's true calling is concentrates. With herb you hear some FF2 owners that are unhappy with the performance for whatever reason, with concentrates I've seen 100% positive feedback for the FF2 which is unheard of.

jay87,

KLo

No Ember
So I remembered a while ago I bought a bunch of these lens wipes at costco. They were about 10 bucks for 225 of them if I remember correctly so the price would be very good for cleaning wipes for the FF2 but I'm quite unsure if they would be safe to use on the FF2 or not. The ingredients listed are water, iso alcohol and detergent. The only thing I am unsure of in the ingredient label would be the detergent so I'm a little concerned before I try to use this to clean my FF2. Would anybody be able to provide input into whether these would be safe to use on the FF2 or not? If they are it may be a very economical purchase of cleaning wipes for the FF2 versus buying the FF2 wipes separately. Pictures of the lens wipes with ingredients are listed below:

rgtvd8Q.jpg

w9H86Cw.jpg

Detergent for laundry. Not lungs

KLo,
Reactions: Mr. Me2

petey

After going through a few bad units, I've been very happy with my FF1 for nearly a year. But last night the coil died suddenly, so I shipped it to VapeWorld today. Once they confirm the bad coil it sounds like I will have the option of a replacement (unless they opt to repair it) or upgrading to FF2 for $100. FF was not yet able to clarify what my new warranty would be if I choose to upgrade.

My first inclination was to stay with the FF1, but I thought I'd browse around here to see if that might be short-sighted. It seems there are just as many faulty FF2s as there were FF1s, so I wouldn't be spending the $100 on reliability. I use herb, so the FF2's superior handling of concentrates wouldn't matter to me. And, while I'm not a technophobe, I'm an old guy with no interest in phones and social media. I think I could temporarily turn on the data function on my ten-year-old Blackberry, but I'm not sure. Can the FF2 app be accessed via Windows? Or skipped altogether? Would I be shelling out $100 simply for more technology that could go bad -- technology that I'd never use?

Or... is the basic design of the FF2 simply superior -- for basic vaping -- enough to warrant the presumably shortened warranty and the extra expense. (FF was vague about how many FF1s would be available as replacements, and for how long.)

Thoughts?

petey,
Reactions: KLo

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
After going through a few bad units, I've been very happy with my FF1 for nearly a year. But last night the coil died suddenly, so I shipped it to VapeWorld today. Once they confirm the bad coil it sounds like I will have the option of a replacement (unless they opt to repair it) or upgrading to FF2 for $100. FF was not yet able to clarify what my new warranty would be if I choose to upgrade.

My first inclination was to stay with the FF1, but I thought I'd browse around here to see if that might be short-sighted. It seems there are just as many faulty FF2s as there were FF1s, so I wouldn't be spending the $100 on reliability. I use herb, so the FF2's superior handling of concentrates wouldn't matter to me. And, while I'm not a technophobe, I'm an old guy with no interest in phones and social media. I think I could temporarily turn on the data function on my ten-year-old Blackberry, but I'm not sure. Can the FF2 app be accessed via Windows? Or skipped altogether? Would I be shelling out $100 simply for more technology that could go bad -- technology that I'd never use?

Or... is the basic design of the FF2 simply superior -- for basic vaping -- enough to warrant the presumably shortened warranty and the extra expense. (FF was vague about how many FF1s would be available as replacements, and for how long.)

Thoughts?

I personally would jump at the chance to upgrade to the 2 from the 1 for 100 bucks. It's a far superior vape, IMO, they aren't making the 1 anymore, and your chance of the coil dying on your 1 in the next 12 months is fairly high compared to potential failure of the 2. (My guess is your warranty clock would start over with the new 2, but I'm not sure about that.)

Overall seems like a good deal to me. :2c:

mitchgo61,

Baron23

With the success that they've had with the FF2 and the original as well, why would the CEO be misleading as to show in the video what looks like herbs, and then produce thick clouds that aren't very typical with vaping unless it's e-juice lol...could be legit, I dunno...I hope it's not deception, that's not cool...is the standard power set at 100% without any tweaking? Does going up 11% really make that much of a difference?
It was herbs. Look close, make up your own mind.

Baron23,

KLo

No Ember

Thoughts?

If any portable stood the 12 mo. test with hard use, I'd stick with that, providing you get service attention and warranty provisions, whatever they may be. Esp, if you are not into tech. FF2 is tech forward and very wobbly at the moment...app-wise. There is no analog format. FF2 is tethered to the app.

I'd stay retro FF1 for now, if things get resolved with your coil. Save the $ and wait until FF2 catches up with itself. You may still get a deal.

KLo,

MinnBobber

Once they confirm the bad coil it sounds like I will have the option of a replacement (unless they opt to repair it) or upgrading to FF2 for $100. FF was not yet able to clarify what my new warranty would be if I choose to upgrade.

So they still have FF1 units, even though they don't sell them anymore??

MinnBobber,

Baron23

That's what I'm saying, the close up shot of the material definitely looks like bud to me...

Ok, fair enough. It did not to me but I may well be wrong. Not accusing the guy of bait and switch, after all he never said a word about cannabis. In any case, have a great day and I really hope the FF2's on the path to success with the new app. Cheers

FF2%20Video%20Herb.jpg

Last edited:
Baron23,
Reactions: Boros

flyfishwino

Can you use he ff2 without having your phone everywhere you go? If you change a setting and leave your phone home, will it still work on the last setting?
Thx

flyfishwino,

mitchgo61

Can you use he ff2 without having your phone everywhere you go? If you change a setting and leave your phone home, will it still work on the last setting?
Thx
Of course, you can use it without the app, it will still be on the last setting.

That's correct. This idea that the FF2 is totally tethered to the app isn't true. You can use it out of the box, without ever downloading the app or connecting it via Bluetooth. However it'll be forever on the default setting (which is Medium High).

mitchgo61,
Reactions: justvapin

crazferret

Add me to the list of people having issues with the latest update. Android N on a Nexus 6P. It gets about half way through, then locks when trying to reconnect to mt FF2.

DFU Process Failed

To make matters worse, this kind of locks up my FF2. The blue light stays on and the app can no longer find it. I have to pull the battery on my FF2, close the app, then turn off/on my bluetooth to get the app to see my FF2 again. The FF2 is now connected to the app, but I tried updating a few times and came up with the same result every time.

It's frustrating to see how great the update is, but not be able to do it. I would shoot the app over to a tablet, but I don't always have my tablet on me. The phone is such a better option. I'm going to try uninstalling/reinstalling the app and rebooting my phone. If that doesn't work, I don't know what will.

crazferret,

petey

So they still have FF1 units, even though they don't sell them anymore??
Well, the FF CS fellow was careful not to be specific, but he said there were a number around if I chose that replacement option. He clearly thought most people in my position would choose to upgrade for $100. I'm still not so sure, even though I have a lot of respect for Mitch's opinion. Sounds like I'd need to access the app for starters just to update the firmware properly.

I use some apps designed for phones just fine on my Windows laptop (e.g. Kodi remote control), but that's not possible with the FF2?
I'd stay retro FF1 for now, if things get resolved with your coil. Save the $ and wait until FF2 catches up with itself. You may still get a deal.
This is what I'm thinking too. Unless I become convinced that the plain old vape experience is far superior with the FF2. So far, reading through much of this thread, I'm not so convinced.

I'm just saying that it is definitely possible that the combination of the best flowers that a CEO of a vaporizer company can buy, mixed with a custom beta app made just for him, with a few studio lights, yeah you could make some ridiculous looking clouds for sure. But like you said it's also possible that it was faked or "enhanced material" as well.

Let me throw out this possibility as well, if his bud was sprinkled with real concentrate then those clouds are 100% achievable, granted that wouldn't be 100% honest but you get the idea.

If you think that video the CEO posted was bad, I guarantee that if a big vaporizer reviewer reviews the FF2 post-update and uses lighting to show the vapor production, people would lose their shit over how big the clouds look.

And does 11% really make that much of a difference? In short, YES!! :rockon:

that 11% makes the vapor come much faster, it's much thicker, much easier to draw slow or fast, and the added temperature is what I needed to completely extract my concentrates.

I've got literally 0 complaints about the FF2 post update.

I hear a lot of people say that they're going to "111%". I assume all who do this are doing it on high?

doomsdalicious,

ArthurJ

I have it at 111% but I dont use it at high.
Medium or medium high generally speaking. I have used it at high to see what its like but I am wary of combustion so I dont generally leave it at high.

ArthurJ,

MinnBobber

....Well, the FF CS fellow was careful not to be specific, but he said there were a number around if I chose that replacement option. He clearly thought most people in my position would choose to upgrade for $100. I'm still not so sure....[/QUOTE)
IMO, if/when they run out of new FF1 units and you have a warranty issue with a FF1, I'd expect they repair the FF1 OR replace with a new FF2 for $00. Replace for free with the then current model.

What would others expect?

MinnBobber,

Fire so Fly

do you even vape?
Add me to the list of people having issues with the latest update. Android N on a Nexus 6P. It gets about half way through, then locks when trying to reconnect to mt FF2.

DFU Process Failed

To make matters worse, this kind of locks up my FF2. The blue light stays on and the app can no longer find it. I have to pull the battery on my FF2, close the app, then turn off/on my bluetooth to get the app to see my FF2 again. The FF2 is now connected to the app, but I tried updating a few times and came up with the same result every time.

It's frustrating to see how great the update is, but not be able to do it. I would shoot the app over to a tablet, but I don't always have my tablet on me. The phone is such a better option. I'm going to try uninstalling/reinstalling the app and rebooting my phone. If that doesn't work, I don't know what will.
maybe this helps you:
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/the-firefly-2-vaporizer.20281/page-173#post-1023191

since the nexus 6p was released together and gets updates similar with the nexus 5x, it may work for you too.

Fire so Fly,

mitchgo61

Well, the FF CS fellow was careful not to be specific, but he said there were a number around if I chose that replacement option. He clearly thought most people in my position would choose to upgrade for $100. I'm still not so sure, even though I have a lot of respect for Mitch's opinion. Sounds like I'd need to access the app for starters just to update the firmware properly.

I use some apps designed for phones just fine on my Windows laptop (e.g. Kodi remote control), but that's not possible with the FF2?.

I don't know if you can use the app outside of droid or ios. My guess would be no...so if that's an issue for you, eg you don't have a mobile device on which you can install the app, that might make the decision a little easier for you.

My understanding is they stopped manufacturing the FF1 quite a few months ago, probably February or so. Maybe earlier. They certainly have units warehoused, and of course some of the third party retailers have them in inventory still, but I'd guess a year from now you will be hard pressed to find a new one.

Good luck with your decision....I hate decisions....:lol:

mitchgo61,
Reactions: justvapin

Reggie Watts

The Bluetooth range is awful. If I walk to a different room just 20 feet away with my FF2 but without my phone, I come back to find it disconnected. And it's really inconsistent about asking for location data. About 75% of the time it demands location data, but 25% it doesn't. Weird.

But still, it's a bluetooth vaporizer with firmware updates. If somebody told me 5 years ago that I would one day possess a smartvape with bluetooth connectivity, I would have been like, "That's fucking amazing!!!"

Reminds me of this Louis CK bit...

Mr Freeze

Hi. I'm new to vaping and this is my first vaporizer which I've had for about 4 weeks now. I've had my share of issues with the FF2 but as a noob I have been patiently trying different techniques and methods to get the best results. I'm not saying this will work for everyone but it certainly improved the performance for me. My device is set on "High". What I have found is loose packs do not work. I use a coarse grind (pull apart with hands) I fill the bowl half way making sure the bottom is covered and pack it medium firm (try varying degrees of packing to see what works best). Then I fill and pack the top the same way. Nice and even and evenly packed including around the edges. I take medium draws for 10-15 secs. Ripping or sipping doesn't work for me on this device. The first couple of draws are low on vapor but have very nice flavor. The next 2-3 draws the vapor production ramps up and I get some nice clouds. I usually do a stir and repack after the first 5-6 draws or when vapor production starts to ebb. I just continue to repeat that process. As the material browns I find I have to stir more frequently, about every 2-3 draws, until the material is spent. I'm not an engineer but it seems to me the flaw with the FF2 is that as you draw you're loosening the material and creating gaps where the hot air can move around the material without passing through it thus drastically reducing it's efficiency. As the material vaporizes, dries and breaks down, it becomes even more susceptible to "blow outs". I've removed the lid many times to see a hole in the packed material were all the hot air flowed. For me the FF2 worked best when I constantly stirred and repacked the material. Then I thought if I could use something to prevent the material from loosening it might improve performance even more. So I used a soft spring and a bowl screen cut to the proper size to place over the top of the material. I used a spring just hard enough to keep the material from loosening as I drew without packing it down more or causing the lid to pop off. This improved performance significantly for me. The top still pops up very slightly so I am looking for a slightly softer spring but in the meantime I use my hand or a rubber band to hold the top on during use. I now get bigger draws more consistently than I have in the past. I hope this helps someone else.

Mr Freeze,

BabaRobDass

The Bluetooth range is awful. If I walk to a different room just 20 feet away with my FF2 but without my phone, I come back to find it disconnected. And it's really inconsistent about asking for location data. About 75% of the time it demands location data, but 25% it doesn't. Weird.

But still, it's a bluetooth vaporizer with firmware updates. If somebody told me 5 years ago that I would one day possess a smartvape with bluetooth connectivity, I would have been like, "That's fucking amazing!!!"

Reminds me of this Louis CK bit...

Nit picking.

It da Bomb.:leaf::rofl::rofl::leaf:

Hi. I'm new to vaping and this is my first vaporizer which I've had for about 4 weeks now. I've had my share of issues with the FF2 but as a noob I have been patiently trying different techniques and methods to get the best results. I'm not saying this will work for everyone but it certainly improved the performance for me. My device is set on "High". What I have found is loose packs do not work. I use a coarse grind (pull apart with hands) I fill the bowl half way making sure the bottom is covered and pack it medium firm (try varying degrees of packing to see what works best). Then I fill and pack the top the same way. Nice and even and evenly packed including around the edges. I take medium draws for 10-15 secs. Ripping or sipping doesn't work for me on this device. The first couple of draws are low on vapor but have very nice flavor. The next 2-3 draws the vapor production ramps up and I get some nice clouds. I usually do a stir and repack after the first 5-6 draws or when vapor production starts to ebb. I just continue to repeat that process. As the material browns I find I have to stir more frequently, about every 2-3 draws, until the material is spent. I'm not an engineer but it seems to me the flaw with the FF2 is that as you draw you're loosening the material and creating gaps where the hot air can move around the material without passing through it thus drastically reducing it's efficiency. As the material vaporizes, dries and breaks down, it becomes even more susceptible to "blow outs". I've removed the lid many times to see a hole in the packed material were all the hot air flowed. For me the FF2 worked best when I constantly stirred and repacked the material. Then I thought if I could use something to prevent the material from loosening it might improve performance even more. So I used a soft spring and a bowl screen cut to the proper size to place over the top of the material. I used a spring just hard enough to keep the material from loosening as I drew without packing it down more or causing the lid to pop off. This improved performance significantly for me. The top still pops up very slightly so I am looking for a slightly softer spring but in the meantime I use my hand or a rubber band to hold the top on during use. I now get bigger draws more consistently than I have in the past. I hope this helps someone else.

Response to Mr. Freeze:

You've almost got it. Pack slightly past rim every time though. Then it won't matter when it browns, becomes more compact, and you won't have to stir.

Lots of talk of needing to stir on here but it's not necessary.

I. Never. Stir. And I get rocked, til the bowl is cashed.

Now dat's real.

Oops i did two posts in row, sorry.

You've almost got it. Pack slightly past rim every time though. Then it won't matter when it browns, becomes more compact, and you won't have to stir.

Lots of talk of needing to stir on here but it's not necessary.

I. Never. Stir. And I get rocked, til the bowl is cashed.

Now dat's real.

Oops i did two posts in row, sorry.

Damn, I fucked it all up. firefly is working.:peace:

Modnote: 3 back to back posts merged

Last edited by a moderator:
BabaRobDass,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom