The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
That's badass. How will we get the data onto the device? Just by syncing with the app?

It's just an on-demand change you make through the app, live, once you connect the device. No different than anything else you do with the app, like changing temp levels or button controls. No actual synch required, just connecting to the device via the app. You can change the Power Level from hit to hit if you like....you get the blue flash on the LED letting you know the temp range has been altered.

Reggie Watts

It's just an on-demand change you make through the app, live, once you connect the device. No different than anything else you do with the app, like changing temp levels or button controls. No actual synch required, just connecting to the device via the app. You can change the Power Level from hit to hit if you like....you get the blue flash on the LED letting you know the temp range has been altered.
Oh ok, makes sense. So the update is adding new code to the app, which in turn sends signals to the vape making it behave in the way specified by the app. I wasn't sure if these new code would be "stored" in the device itself, or stored in the cloud. So it's like the vape's physical "body" is independent of its "mind"...it has a non-local distributed mind. Trippy!

Reggie Watts,
Reactions: Mr. Me2

malsanti

I just barely get any vapor from FF2. Far less than a flowermate.

Even on the high heat setting I thought it would atleast produce more vapor. Everything else is amazing actually. The design. The way one can hold it. The ergonomics. Just not sure about the performance at all.

malsanti,

jim-bob

Have there been any improvements to battery handling or is this strictly a feature update?

jim-bob,

colomarijuana

Oh ok, makes sense. So the update is adding new code to the app, which in turn sends signals to the vape making it behave in the way specified by the app. I wasn't sure if these new code would be "stored" in the device itself, or stored in the cloud. So it's like the vape's physical "body" is independent of its "mind"...it has a non-local distributed mind. Trippy!

Yes, so the software (operating system and app) are what you use to connect to your device and send commands to the firefly. The Firmware (rules for how the hardware interprets commands, read-only) lives on the FF2. So software sends commands to the hardware and firmware interprets those commands to take appropriate action. Along with the software changes, they've delivered multiple firmware updates. Pretty cool stuff! Smart vape no doubt :)

Last edited:

jay87

Not sure if anyone mentioned this already, but Firefly has some firmware and software updates in testing that lets you tune the power up or down on each of the heat settings. They've also fixed the battery sensor issue in the app.

I've been testing the updates for the last 3 days. Great changes that I think a lot of users will really like. You can produce vapor easier on higher settings. I can't want for someone to make a water pipe attachment.

MOAR POWER! :rockon:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BIoSfFKjS1c/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BIoUbltD3ky/

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Performance upgrades to a vaporizer that are delivered via software update. I love computer technology :science:

I assume that the "overclocking" of the power settings works for the concentrate setting as well right? :drool:

Judging by the fact that they've released a beta i have to assume they will release the update within the next couple weeks, amazing.

Might I ask how you were able to beta test their app? My profession and hobby is computers, programming, etc. so I would be very interested in becoming a tester.

colomarijuana

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Performance upgrades to a vaporizer that are delivered via software update. I love computer technology :science:

I assume that the "overclocking" of the power settings works for the concentrate setting as well right? :drool:

Judging by the fact that they've released a beta i have to assume they will release the update within the next couple weeks, amazing.

Might I ask how you were able to beta test their app? My profession and hobby is computers, programming, etc. so I would be very interested in becoming a tester.

I might say they've removed the limiter instead of overclocking. It's just letting you more control over that powerful heater that's already built in. throttle control I suppose you could say :)

Like most apps that aren't published, you have to be invited through their software delivery service. The firmware and software are packaged together and the app pushes the firmware updates to your device. So when you get the new app and connect the first time, you'll get a notice about new firmware and you can go through the process to install. I know Apple can kind of be dicks about publishing beta apps so Android may be different and easier, but guessing they use the same 3rd party software to deliver the new app version.

colomarijuana,
So I have had this device for about 3-4 months at this point and have been using it pretty exclusively and have loved the results, ease of use, and design.

Last week I decided to give my Solo a workout and I was completely obliterated after 4 hits on Level 4.

I don't know if I was simply higher or just a different kind of high but it was totally different than the Firefly 2 experience.

Does anyone else have a Solo and see similar results? I know the Solo is known to be one of the most efficient vapes of all time but is it possible that it really is that much more efficient than the Firefly or am I just experiencing two different types of highs?

Please don't read this like I am hating on the Firefly 2. I am not at all, I love it. It is an awesome device and definitely gets the job done but having stepped away from the Solo for a few months and going back it was pretty incredible.

Edit: If anyone is curious where I am getting that efficiency claim from, check this out. Interesting read: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26784441

That study is great. Thank u.

MonsterWithoutBorders,

mitchgo61

Yeah it works just like the app does now, but it has an extra feature. The app and the new power setting default to your last setting, so if your device is set to High and the power control is set to 110 your FF will stay at High plus 10%. Until you change it on the app. Just think of it as a little bit of extra range you can tweak for all of the extant temp settings.

mitchgo61,

DoctorM

Hello guys I'm a first time poster here.
Sorry for being off topic but I have recently ordered a FF2 and just Wana know how soon others got their vapes.
Will really appreciate input from someone who got it recently.
I know it's a pre-order but just getting impatient here :)

DoctorM,
Hello guys I'm a first time poster here.
Sorry for being off topic but I have recently ordered a FF2 and just Wana know how soon others got their vapes.
Will really appreciate input from someone who got it recently.
I know it's a pre-order but just getting impatient here :)
I was told by mid august they should be delivered, so hopefully soon!

I cant wait on mine either. I had the first one and Im looking forward to snatching up the FF2

chris worthy,
Reactions: DoctorM
I finally ordered a FF2 last Friday night. This is my first vaporizer, so I'm excited.
After reading through 142 pages of posts - a lot to get through - I have to say thanks for all the help and tips. There are about 5-10 pages of great stuff for a Best Of Thread.

My only confusion is with the talk of batteries.

Let's start with what I read about: How to extend the life of lithium-ion batteries.

Here's what you should do:
*Perform shallow discharges. Instead of discharging to 0% all the time, lithium-ion batteries do best when you discharge them for a little bit, then charge them for a little bit. ...
*Don't leave it fully charged. ...
*Fully discharge it once a month. ...
*Keep it cool.

So It would seem to follow that you start with a full charge, a solid blue light.
It seem to me that after doing a few bowls or six bowls, you would put the FF2 back on the charger.
As they say in the Users Manual "Keep Firefly2 on charging dock to ensure a charged battery."
I would think you would leave the FF2 on the charger until your next use.

But you say "it will kill the battery faster if left on the charger charging".

The FF CS told me that it was OK to leave the FF2 on the charger because the FF2 had system that shut the FF2 off after it was fully charged and the FF2 did not continue to charge.
It seems that if you followed the above routine, unless you were having a party with friends or really killing by yourself, you pretty much would always have a full battery.

I would appreciate any help with my confusion.
Thanks

Last edited:

DoctorM

I was told by mid august they should be delivered, so hopefully soon!

I cant wait on mine either. I had the first one and Im looking forward to snatching up the FF2

Good luck to you getting it soon man. Don't forget to post timeline when you do get it.

DoctorM,

malsanti

I dunno, the bud does get abved, but where is the vapor? Like almost absolutely nothing comes out of my FF2. Maybe just the first draw I get a small amount of vapor. How am I supposed to know what is wrong?

Should I call FF and try to send it back. Honestly, its the worst performing vape I've ever used. It just doesn't really work, my unit that is.

Woulda been sweet if I could get it to work properly like you guys. Woulda been so nice. But right now its doesn't work. I need a portable vape also.

The only time I can get vapor is if I get it bubbling so to speak. When all the bud is kinda bubbling and flying around in the FF2, but even then, the vapor is just so little to speak of.

Last edited:
malsanti,

jdent3

I dunno, the bud does get abved, but where is the vapor? Like almost absolutely nothing comes out of my FF2. Maybe just the first draw I get a small amount of vapor. How am I supposed to know what is wrong?

Should I call FF and try to send it back. Honestly, its the worst performing vape I've ever used. It just doesn't really work, my unit that is.

Woulda been sweet if I could get it to work properly like you guys. Woulda been so nice. But right now its doesn't work. I need a portable vape also.

The only time I can get vapor is if I get it bubbling so to speak. When all the bud is kinda bubbling and flying around in the FF2, but even then, the vapor is just so little to speak of.

The bud shouldn't be flying around. If you have that problem pack it fuller or use a liquid pad on top as a spacer. Use a coarse grind, set to med-high or high (for clouds), stir every 2-3 hits and draw slowly. I think your problem though is the bud flying around in the chamber.

jdent3,

NoCo970

I finally ordered a FF2 last Friday night. This is my first vaporizer, so I'm excited.
After reading through 142 pages of posts - a lot to get through - I have to say thanks for all the help and tips. There are about 5-10 pages of great stuff for a Best Of Thread.

Let's start with what I read about: How to extend the life of lithium-ion batteries.

*Perform shallow discharges. Instead of discharging to 0% all the time, lithium-ion batteries do best when you discharge them for a little bit, then charge them for a little bit. ...
*Keep it cool.

So It would seem to follow that you start with a full charge, a solid blue light.
It seem to me that after doing a few bowls or six bowls, you would put the FF2 back on the charger.
As they say in the Users Manual "Keep Firefly2 on charging dock to ensure a charged battery."

The FF CS told me that it was OK to leave the FF2 on the charger because the FF2 had system that shut the FF2 off after it was fully charged and the FF2 did not continue to charge.
It seems that if you followed the above routine, unless you were having a party with friends or really killing by yourself, you pretty much would always have a full battery.

Thanks

Page 14, "Tips & Tricks" section of your Firefly2 owners manual;

BATTERY LIFE
• Keep Firefly2 on charging dock to ensure a charged battery.

States what the Firefly rep told you. This would be my recommendation.

NoCo970,

greenextinguisher

Go back and spend some time reading the early parts of the thread where @mitchgo61 goes through the process of learning the device. You have to do your homework on this one, if you are not connecting with it off the bat. Your bud should not be bubbling.

In short, try tamping a little so that your shits not flying around and maybe add a little more while you are at it. Medium grind. If that doesn't work try another strain.

Which vaporizer did you use previously?

greenextinguisher,
Reactions: mitchgo61

NoCo970

The bud shouldn't be flying around. If you have that problem pack it fuller or use a liquid pad on top as a spacer. Use a coarse grind, set to med-high or high (for clouds), stir every 2-3 hits and draw slowly. I think your problem though is the bud flying around in the chamber.

Go back and spend some time reading the early parts of the thread where @mitchgo61 goes through the process of learning the device. You have to do your homework on this one, if you are not connecting with it off the bat. Your bud should not be bubbling.

In short, try tamping a little so that your shits not flying around and maybe add a little more while you are at it. Medium grind. If that doesn't work try another strain.

Which vaporizer did you use previously?

I second that. I have found some buds just dont vape well at all in the firefly. Try a different bud. I can buy some at dispensaries that will turn brown and hardly vape after 2 hits. I also get other buds that I literally can't vape all the way through because my firefly 1 gets too hot to continue.
Also agree with the fact that the bowl isn't filled enough. I use a course grind, usually just broken up fine by hand or in a course grind grinder. No bud should be flying around in there and if it is you are inhaling way too hard. I found for best effect with my asthma I need to take a moment before I actually vape so I don't inhale too hard or fast. I still just have the firefly 1 and when I take a hit I take a full 30 second draw, remember the bud needs to warm up hence the slow and steady draw. Lots of people try to compare it as sipping like you would through a straw. Not really, if you sip it like your sucking a milkshake through a straw...that just isn't going to work. I recommend watching some videos online there are plenty of them to help you figure out how to use your firefly too which can help visually.

Ex. Here is one video.
Here is another I recommend watching.

Last edited:
NoCo970,

*Keep it cool.

Thanks

All regulated lithium-ion batteries have built in over charging protection and should cut off after a full charge. However in many batteries this does not work perfectly therefore my recommendation is to remove it after it is completely charged. Leaving it on charger gives no advantage from a battery point of view. Running the battery to complete discharge is NOT best lithium-ion practice. I usually do three bowls charge the battery up fully and then switch batteries. The firefly recommendations are simple but not the best for battery preservation. Your concerns are way valid.

MonsterWithoutBorders,
Reactions: Baron23

Atanyrhate

Absolutely. The only way I manage tolerance issues....rotate strains, and rotate devices. Different vapes have different "signatures" that define the effect they produce. You can build up a tolerance to a device as quickly as you can for a specific strain.

I honestly don't know how anyone can survive with only one vape! :lol:

Sorry I'm a little late to this one.

I don't understand how someone could develop a tolerance to a device. I can't wrap my mind around that concept, or how that could work. Could you help make it make sense to me?

On another note, does anyone know if the app update will address the issue of my batteries not lasting as long as they are supposed to? Having a functioning meter will be incredible, but it would be way better if this somehow addressed their tendency to die out, usually during my second bowl, and without warning. Both batteries, consistently. But while they are working, this thing hits like a beast.

Atanyrhate,
Reactions: b0

mitchgo61

I don't understand how someone could develop a tolerance to a device. I can't wrap my mind around that concept, or how that could work. Could you help make it make sense to me?.

I don't know how it works...I only know I'm not alone in experiencing the whole "rotate devices" approach to tolerance. Whatever combination of heating processes makes each device seem to have differing effects also seems to cause me to build up tolerances to a specific device. (This is not universal however, and like the effect of "burn in" on headphones, some folks maintain this is complete nonsense. My experience tells me otherwise, but YMMV.) This obviously isn't the best thread in which to discuss this, and if you search you can find other threads on this topic. (or we can move the conversation over to Ask FC if you wanna post a question about it over there.) But yeah, I can't explain it. I only know it happens. :hmm::p

On another note, does anyone know if the app update will address the issue of my batteries not lasting as long as they are supposed to? Having a functioning meter will be incredible, but it would be way better if this somehow addressed their tendency to die out, usually during my second bowl, and without warning. Both batteries, consistently. But while they are working, this thing hits like a beast.

I'm not sure it's addressed in this app, or that FF has even reproduced this problem. I can ask them and see if they even know what I'm talking about. (I flagged this issue for a couple people there like back in April but I haven't heard anything since...)

mitchgo61,
Reactions: b0

justvapin

Enthusiastic Cannabis Consumer
I agree about different strains and differing results. I have taken 2 different strains that were both decent, cloud producing product in other vapes, and have one of them make great clouds/effects in FF2, and the other produce no clouds and minimal effect. Not sure why, doesn't seem to be moisture content, but there are surely differences. I believe this may account for some users having difficulty. Not bad weed necessarily, just weed that for some reason doesn't do well in the FF2. I have some excellent weed right now that will not vape well in the FF2, so I don't try anymore with it.

justvapin,
Reactions: NoCo970

jay87

I don't understand how someone could develop a tolerance to a device. I can't wrap my mind around that concept, or how that could work. Could you help make it make sense to me?

It's a real thing.

I think it's a physiological thing where as humans when we become accustomed to anything the effect it has on us is lessened. Then when you take a break from something for awhile and come back to it the effect seems new to you again.

It's similar to how many MJ users enjoy rotating through different strains for different kinds of effects when one effect starts to seem stale.

You love your favorite song, if you listened to your favorite song 100 times in a row you'd start to dislike it because the effect of the song isn't as appealing. If you stop listening to your favorite song and find a new song to listen to for awhile, when you finally hear your favorite song again you'll love it again just like you used to because the effect of the song appeals to you again.

You can try it yourself if you have multiple devices :)

jay87,
Reactions: waxdab23
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom