• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Some-new-user

@terrptastin station I've had my FF2 for just under a week. Until last night I was getting rubbish sessions. I'm pretty sure I was combusting and was cleaning/charging after every one hit charred herb session. So I haven't really been able to test the life of the batteries.

I'm pretty sure one of mine behaves the same way as yours. I have been getting three flashes, a brief glow and then when I'm just ready to vape it flashes red.

Does the lid have a sensor? Like a safety cut out if a the lid wasn't in place then it wouldn't heat? I haven't tried lid off yet. Mine pretty much just stays on charge unless I'm using it. When I get the red flash I either take the battery out for a few seconds and then reinstall it or put the vape on charge for a few minutes.

I also have a feeling that the app might be causing some issues? I'm not sure. The red flash seems to happen when my vape is connected to the app and yes I check the battery level and It's all over the place. Half way? Full? Empty? Oh FC it and put it on charge. I have read people giving the batteries a 'nudge' in this sort of fashion. Getting them warmed up and reminding them of their purpose.

I guess it's also a question of how long these have been just sat there waiting to be used? If these were manufactured a long time ago and have been sitting in transit and a warehouse waiting to get sold.

I'll experiment a bit more, I get a lot more than 6 hits from one load now (start at 300 *only get 3 hits at 300, then I can get a few more at 370 or thereabouts) I've managed to have 3 sessions like this. 2 last night one tonight before a music session. I'm holding the side buttons for 9 seconds max. Closer to 7 so I'm not using the full 12 seconds available. When I did I got the burnt taste. Still sometimes carry on inhaling after I let go for a second or two..

I hope you get sorted, would be interesting to know your outcome. I love this vape for the flavour but the stirring after every hit doesn't make it a 'portable' option for me, more like an at home portable. I can imagine opening it up outside to stir and the load just disappears in the wind.

Firefly 3 seems exciting - I just wanted to get to flavour town, heard the flavour was kick ass.
You guys weren't wrong and now I've gone back to the mv1 adjusted my draw length and speed and I get more pleasant hits from that + consistent roasting of my herb as opposed to dark spots.

Last edited:
Some-new-user,
Reactions: mitchgo61

Some-new-user

Running through the FF2 with some thin mint cookies rosin at the moment. I charged both my batteries until the blue LED was solid. The last one to be on charge stayed in the vape.

Concentrate mode 480f for some nice terpy low temp goodness.

I am using my revised draw speed and method, only holding the heating sensors for 9 seconds maximum very very very light draw. I'll usually inhale for a second or two after letting go ot the touch sensors. I don't know how to describe the draw people say there is draw resistance but it's not in a sense of the vape restricting you rather that you have to restrict yourself. This is the only way I can use the vape and not charr my herb. I think this is an appropriate method.

* MY THEORY When taking bigger pulls the heater, sensor and battery are probably going to be working overtime to compete with all the air transfer and temperature changes.

I am looking at a way of measuring how hard I'm inhaling.

* App was open and connected - vape heated up straight away no blinking red light. I got 14 pulls from the smallest amount. The first two pulls had 0 visible vapour but were really tasty and after the first the rosin still hadn't completely melted in to the pad. Pull 6 gave a nice cloud. It over heated at pulls 11 and 14. There didn't seem to be much left so I put the vape down and came to write this. Checked battery level - shows 3/4 full

Overheating doesn't worry me based on the above and with concentrates.

Reloaded, checked app and vape was still responsive without having to reconnect. Battery still shows 3/4

Round 2 was pretty much the same. Finished on 14 pulls overheated seems all gone, pull 13 was very cloudy. App Shows 1/4 full on battery.

Round 3 there was a red flash around the 10 pull point but it also overheated and then proceeded to give me up to 16 pulls after that the LED lit up light blue. Then lit up solid blue like when fully charged.

I just booted up the app (android) and received a firmware update? 3.27?

Battery Shows Red. The vape was quite hot during the 3rd session.

These sessions were done quite close together. Within the space of an hour so there is probably some residual heat in there. I'm at 100% calibration.

I tried to get another pull out of it about 10 minutes later. Got the empty battery LED = 44 pulls off first battery.

Battery 2 -
S1- Took 10 pulls, left it for 5/10 minutes. Got another 8 pulls before overheating. Battery level shows 3/4 full.

S2- 14 Pulls - Battery shows half full.

Going for food. :lol:

Came back an hour later. Blinking red LED. App shows battery 1/4 full

I got it working again by taking the battery out twice, I also held the side sensors for a few seconds but didn't let it fully warm up fully. Two blinks of LED (green) - Twice without removing battery then on the 3rd time it heated up and gave me 18 pulls before giving me the flashing red lights again 19th pull incomplete.

Sorry this is long and a sort of hit by hit account: I just feel like it could provide useful details - how come my unit updated? I can't remember my previous version number. Received a week ago. It updated when I first synced the vape to the app. I wouldn't expect them to be working on apps if they're releasing a new version? Could be wrong.

Then the reseating and 'prep' on the battery?? Could that help. Then again there are faulty batteries out there. I think I've just convinced myself that mine are working fine. The vape definitely works as expected. I guess everyone will have their own technique and preference.

@terrptastin station - hope this helps. Just thought it would be handy considering we got them at pretty much the same time which is why I did concentrate @ 480 F.

All the best.

Last edited:
Oh man, Thank you for posting these details!! This is exactly how I intended to use the Firefly and your experience is quite similar to mine. Which is even more helpful since you’re also a late adpoter of the Firefly 2.

Basically, you’re also getting three packs or fills per battery — but you are getting far more draws per fill than I am. This could be due to a combination of your controlled heat timing (9 seconds), and also batteries that may be newer than what my unit shipped with.

I might be packing slightly less than you and heating slightly longer. My technique has been to cigar puff on first draw while heating for 15-17sec. Second draw is a constant inhale, but as slow as possible and also about 15sec. I wait about 30-45sec before third. The third draw is only about a 5-6 heating time, but i am able to continue to draw for like 20sec and get first cloud. The fourth draw I can hit with no additional heating, but not thick cloud like third draw. From here I can get about 2-3 more before I can’t really tell if more vapor is being produced.
(app set to 480* @ 102% calibration)

Now, this is one pack and I can barely get 2 more. This “session” lasts about 45min which is funny because that’s how long it takes to charge battery to full. And this only works with one of my two batteries. The other battery doesn’t heat up at all, yet will hold a charge.

I want this to work, like really really do. I like the idea of turning the dab into a pipe-like session. This means 10x more hits per dab, and the feel of a session that had been replaced by the dab experience.

I’m a flavor chaser and what’s interesting is how the Firefly is different than low-temp dab. On that third draw you can really get that terp profile and it’s very much akin to low-temp dabbing. The hits after that though have a kind of dense incense-like feel that is super unique. Almost reminds me of a sophisticated hot knife with some bubble like back in the day.

My fear is that Firefly is never gonna release new batteries for the Firefly 2 and just debut the Firefly 3 instead. My hope is that they’ll do both. Release the 3 with an adequate battery that is compatible with the Firefly 2 (and therefore, the first version). Either way, I don’t want to get stuck with a great device that can’t be powered, and am thinking I’ll have to return mine.

@Some-new-user, thanks again for these detailed posts. It really helped me figure out if my unit is faulty or if it is the batteries.

Last edited:

LabPong

My fear is that Firefly is never gonna release new batteries for the Firefly 2 and just debut the Firefly 3 instead. My hope is that they’ll do both. Release the 3 with an adequate battery that is compatible with the Firefly 2 (and therefore, the first version). Either way, I don’t want to get stuck with a great device that can’t be powered, and am thinking I’ll have to return mine.

You can still find some batteries for sale from 3rd party vendors online.

I hope FF allows replaceable 18650's for the FF3......propitiatory batteries suck!

HerbieVonVapster

You can still find some batteries for sale from 3rd party vendors online.

I hope FF allows replaceable 18650's for the FF3......propitiatory batteries suck!

So pulled mine out today and neither battery works. I can't seem to find anywhere to buy them at. Was wondering if anyone has a link ?

HerbieVonVapster,
Reactions: mitchgo61

LabPong

So pulled mine out today and neither battery works. I can't seem to find anywhere to buy them at. Was wondering if anyone has a link ?

One of the places I found a couple weeks ago is now out.....I should of ordered when I saw them in stock. Sorry....hope they make them again even if there is a new model....tons of FF2's still out there that are getting a late surge with concentrate users.

Some-new-user

@terrptastin station thanks. I was worried it could be a bit much giving a hit by it account but also when I came back after an hour and other little titbits could have helped you. I know everyone's technique is different but also like you say we're getting similar sessions with your one working battery. Shame you only have the one though.

Bit strange that firefly are fully out of stock on batteries and pretty much everything else for that matter.

I would like to see 18650's used but I'd also like to be able to keep using this model which is quite new to me. I love the flavour. Just wondering if/how an 18650 would fit in to that body? 18350 maybe? It would also be a shame that there's all these units out there (firefly 1 and 2) that we can no longer purchase batteries for. Upgrade program? I think a lot of people would be ecstatic if they released a battery compatible with all models. I really doubt they will want to make the vape bigger to fit a standard battery in.

I take it everyone has seen the 'brands' photo that got put on reddit a bit ago? New owners, there's a photo of a vape with new firefly logo, looks like the logo lights up and could possibly be a screen (temp readout?)

There's also a dab pen style thing on there with the same 'new' firefly logo.

I need to find a desktop with the flavour of the ff2.

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
First, sorry to hear about so many battery issues. I’ve had similar experiences...I used to juggle two batts to keep it running. I have no idea WHY the units, for some of us, throw red lights when the battery has barely been used. I gave pretty detailed info to the FF folks well over a year ago but I don’t know if they were ever able to reproduce it. Very weird.

Second, indeed FF does appear to be getting ready to release some new products. I hope to chat with them later this week and maybe have some news to share, depending on what they choose to share with me. You never know. :lol:

Third, sorry to be so quiet on this thread and elsewhere on FC but there hasn’t been a ton going on and I try to be like Mr Ed....I keep my mouth shut unless I have something to say. I’ve kept up with the info shared here and it’s been very interesting....thanks to everyone who’s shared their experiences. Definitely helpful to the entire user community.

Hopefully there’ll be something interesting to share soon.

brainiac

log wrangler
The improving weather finally coaxed Mrs Brainiac and me to go climb a mountain today.
The old Ff1 only gets used on away missions now but can still deliver the goods - even on a mountain.

FF1-and-mountains.jpg

im not a robot

hi guys
i recently came into possession of a pretty decently priced refurbished firefly 2 - just getting to know everything at this point, but i do get good vapour, taste is great, so i am content.
i am a bit puzzled by the calibration feature though. google thus far provided me with explanations that it either finetunes the temperature itself, or that it changes the way the heater behaves. i am sure this must have been discussed here before, but i cannot find it, so if anyone could explain to me what the calibration actually does - it would be much appreciated.
thanks!

im not a robot,

LabPong

i am a bit puzzled by the calibration feature though. google thus far provided me with explanations that it either finetunes the temperature itself, or that it changes the way the heater behaves. i am sure this must have been discussed here before, but i cannot find it, so if anyone could explain to me what the calibration actually does - it would be much appreciated.
thanks!

I am in the same boat.....anyone that can help us understand the calibration mode... would be appreciated.

LabPong,

Some-new-user

My basic understanding is that it adjusts the 'juice' (power) that goes in to the heater. This is done by a percentage across all temperatures so 100° at 100% would be 100° (f or c just using as an example).

Bump this up by 10% this may go up to 110° but 150° may go up to 165° (an extra 10%) and all other temperatures will be relative to the percentage that you calibrate the vape to.

I'd like to know more too to see if my basic understanding is correct or miles off

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
My basic understanding is that it adjusts the 'juice' (power) that goes in to the heater. This is done by a percentage across all temperatures so 100° at 100% would be 100° (f or c just using as an example).

Bump this up by 10% this may go up to 110° but 150° may go up to 165° (an extra 10%) and all other temperatures will be relative to the percentage that you calibrate the vape to.

I'd like to know more too to see if my basic understanding is correct or miles off
Yeah that’s my understanding too....you explained it pretty succinctly!

im not a robot

thanks for the replies everyone. but hm:
unless one wants to go beyond or below the max / min temperatures, or get out a calculator to find a precise temperature, why not just use the temperature selection slider? i am in celsius settings, the firefly allows to change the temperature in 5° increments. if i were to use a temperature of 185°C, and a minimal calibration of 103%, i would already be at 190°C - the next possible selection using the temperature scale. yet the calibration allows for 89%-111%.
i understand that the impact of the calibration will of course depend on the temperature selected in the first place.. still, it seems a little odd to me that if more precise temperature control is the aim, this would be done with applied percentages - instead of a more precise temperature scale? (not that i mind 5° steps really..)
or are there any other implications to there being more juice to the heater?

Some-new-user

@im not a robot

I don't really think this is the aim of the calibration. I think it's more to do with ambient temperatures and the performance of the individual unit (heating coil,batteries etc) I'm guessing if you take this in to account there will be slight variables. POSSIBLY you could tweak the calibration to match your draw speed/preference.

I don't see the firefly as being precise to the degree - it might be but there will be certain tolerances. For example the volcano only measures the temperature at a certain point not where the air is coming out in to the bag. The classic model is accurate to 10° and the digital is approx 1°.

I'm seeing it as if you have a certain temp that is your go to or favourite temp with a different vape and you feel like the firefly is a bit too harsh at that temp you can tune it down. If you feel it's weak you can pump it up a bit but I'd still be looking at the app and going by the temp readout on the app (For me 300°f and 360°f are my preferred temps) I'm just using 100% calibration as this is a decent experience for me. 98% may save me a bit of battery life. I don't feel like I need this myself though.

Experiment, see where you are with it. Be careful regarding combustion. You may find a sweet spot.

I feel like I'm controlling this sweet spot by adjusting my draw speed. It seems to get lighter and lighter.

Thanks @mitchgo61 For clarification. I feel like I'm just waiting for someone to jump on me and flame me for saying something totally wrong this forum seems pretty decent though. Hope you get some news from your friends soon

Some-new-user,

im not a robot

I'm seeing it as if you have a certain temp that is your go to or favourite temp with a different vape and you feel like the firefly is a bit too harsh at that temp you can tune it down
thanks for the detailed answer, this makes a little more sense to me now. i dont feel i have enough vaping experience to feel i know for sure which temperature i prefer, so i usually just circle up over time, and will probably just stick with the temp slider for now. but always good to have options.

Some-new-user

@im not a robot Great stuff! I'm only a year in to my vaping adventure, I read about temps and terps, flavonoids, cannabinoids and then just end up throwing it all out of the window. It's really whatever works for you and that's the fun of it for me. It brings back 'experimenting with drugs' and makes it more sophisticated :rofl:

I like to start low and get some nice tastes but sometimes different strains taste better at slightly higher temperatures. Sometimes I'll turn the temperature up, usually when I want to drift off.

Some-new-user,
Reactions: NYC_Frank

Brewervapesalot

I also believe that the calibration adjusts how fast the unit heats up. Higher percentage and the heater cruises through the temp range to what you set it at. Lower percentage and the heater lingers longer and dilly dallys as it heats up to the temp you set it at.

Firefly advertised its vaporizer originally as giving like a full spectrum taste profile. The unit is intended for relatively long slower draws and the dilly dallying helped this full spectrum flavor effect. After the first few months of sales and feedback, Firefly then realized that lots of people dont like a slow heat up. We don't like a slow draw. The calibration feature addresses this issue well. It shortened the time for temp to come to full temp.

That's my take anyway. Could be wrong. But I had these and loved these and used the crap out of 'em until I could not take my percieved draw backs in using them versus other vaporizers.

Lozo

Following my recent post about the updated FF2 the manufacturer asked that we delete the message (s) until further notice. I did ask whether it was OK to post what I did and it was confirmed as being OK to do so, however I was now asked to remove them (thank you mods for doing this). Sorry to all.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom