The Angus Halogen Vape by YLL Vape

sickmanfraud

Just got my replacement cooling unit to replace the recalled piece that shipped with the device.

Just took it out of box and it looks like it was under Mikes car seat for a week. Really disappointing that the replacement for a RECALLED piece comes in this condition.

https://imgur.io/a/AGk32KQ

Honestly super disappointed. Wanted to give a second chance to this vape but I mean how many red flags can be ignored or dismissed?

Something tells me QA Should be their absolute top priority?

Having trouble seeing this product inspire any confidence

Edit: seems like a bunch of peoples cooling units came like this.

Maybe they were, able to get them done in a month?

Doesn't look like they had time for quality assurance.

Maybe I should not be disappointed that mine will not get to me for at least another month.

Edited to add: To those who received the new CU's, did the new CU come with an ISO advisory either pro or con? Has anybody tried using ISO on the new CU?

Last edited:
sickmanfraud,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I thought we already had one of those for this thread.
Ha! Good call!
What would motivate someone to do that, I wonder...
"...stupid is as stupid does" F. Gump

If nothing else this thread has made for an interesting read, full of intrigue, drama, plot twists and stuff.

My own response to this vape has been pretty unique. I haven't bought one and so far I am no where close to.
But not for reasons enumerated regularly; they seem to be my own based on appearance, grain orientation, and oddly, the name.

I wish "Mike" good luck and success. Clearly a lot of design thought and effort has gone into the Angus.
I wonder though, if there is some disconnect between design and execution? Brought out just a little too early? So, yeah, that first round were, effectively, beta testers.

There was enough money to recall and replace every cooling unit. Not just those sold, but every one packaged to that point. But not enough to rigorously test before production?

I hope these comments are not taken as negativity towards the vape itself, or the company. Just my observations as someone with no particular skin in the game. One reason I follow is to see how it goes for this light bulb vape!

sickmanfraud

Ha! Good call!

"...stupid is as stupid does" F. Gump

If nothing else this thread has made for an interesting read, full of intrigue, drama, plot twists and stuff.You

My own response to this vape has been pretty unique. I haven't bought one and so far I am no where close to.
But not for reasons enumerated regularly; they seem to be my own based on appearance, grain orientation, and oddly, the name.

I wish "Mike" good luck and success. Clearly a lot of design thought and effort has gone into the Angus.
I wonder though, if there is some disconnect between design and execution? Brought out just a little too early? So, yeah, that first round were, effectively, beta testers.

There was enough money to recall and replace every cooling unit. Not just those sold, but every one packaged to that point. But not enough to rigorously test before production?

I hope these comments are not taken as negativity towards the vape itself, or the company. Just my observations as someone with no particular skin in the game. One reason I follow is to see how it goes for this light bulb vape!

You are a wise person.

I wish I had your restraint.

sickmanfraud,

jasp3r

Used it on temperature 2, really didnt enjoy the experience. Im honestly shocked that so many people love this vape, I really thought it was pretty substandard. Not horrible or unusable, just noticeably subpar. To each there own i guess.
Agreed. This is a solid $100 vape. That seems to be the price some guys were able to get when they ordered direct from Mike in a group shipment. For $100 its a fine vape, I won't use it but I mean it's prob better than a Yocan. But for 200? You can get some real solid vapes

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
So I have had my 2nd unit for a while now. My 1st unit returned for a battery drain issue. I have waited a while before giving my verdict as I wanted to give a precise review. My new unit has the new CU.

Overall - I like it a lot. I got my unit for £150 which I think is a fair price. The £200 price tag maybe a little on the steep side.

Pros:

Very good flavour. I would say top 3 for flavour in the portables I have tried. The old CU had a very slight robot fart taste, but the new CU does not.

Once it gets to temp it pumps out vapor at a fair rate.

I did not really have a session vape in my collection before and it's really nice to sip on.

It's a nice high.

Aesthetically I like the look of it.

Cons:

Only 2 or 3 of the many heat settings are usable. The rest are too hot. I mostly use it on 2.

The stock stem is a little hot. I brought a beaded stem and this helps a lot.

The button seems a little finerky sometimes. You have to do the 3 pushes just right to turn on.

How am I meant to clean the CU properly without soaking in ISO?

Would like a smellproof cap - like the fury.

Not left my rotation since I got it. Its no TM but I am enjoying it.

Last edited:

Bersa222

So I have had my 2nd unit for a while now. My 1st unit returned for a battery drain issue. I have waited a while before giving my verdict as I wanted to give a precise review. My new unit has the new CU.

Overall - I like it a lot. I got my unit for £150 which I think is a fair price. The £200 price tag maybe a little on the steep side.

Pros:

Very good flavour. I would say top 3 for flavour in the portables I have tried. The old CU had a very slight robot fart taste, but the new CU does not.

Once it gets to temp it pumps out vapor at a fair rate.

I did not really have a session vape in my collection before and it's really nice to sip on.

It's a nice high.

Aesthetically I like the look of it.

Cons:

The stock stem is a little hot. I brought a beaded stem and this helps a lot.

The button seems a little finerky sometimes. You have to do the 3 pushes just right to turn on.

How am I meant to clean the CU properly without soaking in ISO?

Would like a smellproof cap - like the fury.

I just got my new CU and have had a chance to try it out. The build seems a little nicer, hopefully it work out great.

Bersa222,
Reactions: Mad_Max

Mad_Max

I was just able to produce massive clouds on my 3rd draw in temp 1 - I was really surprised to get Mighty like vapor on the low temp, or at all! This herb is dryer than the other strains I've been using and I packed a tad more. Worked really well!

Just got my replacement cooling unit to replace the recalled piece that shipped with the device.

Just took it out of box and it looks like it was under Mikes car seat for a week.
That is beyond the pale. This things is obviously out too early. They forgot to mention that we were the beta testers. (I think someone may have already said that.) Or they were trying to punk you - I can't think of any explanation that would be valid!
Agreed. This is a solid $100 vape. That seems to be the price some guys were able to get when they ordered direct from Mike in a group shipment. For $100 its a fine vape, I won't use it but I mean it's prob better than a Yocan. But for 200? You can get some real solid vapes
I got mine directly a couple of days ago and it's really good. HOWEVER, it has a raspy sound and vibration in the base of the MP. Someone has just reported plastic shavings, someone else reported a squished o-ring in there. I'm in love with the vapor, though not had any "heavy" experience.
Is it 2/3 as good as the new TM?

Dr. G

Old Resident
Hi everyone! I am really excited. I got my batteries CHECK...I got my new mouth piece thing from VGoodies CHECK! I got some really nice Kush today CHECK! I am ready to try my Angus and I am going to love it...I know I am...this is gonna be awesome. What a truly unique vape! I am just so happy about it. Cheers everyone! Enjoy your Angus. :)

Mad_Max

I was also using the lowest setting, where the flavor faded fast and vapor began to taste unpleasant, though it is always super thick clouds... Definitely needs lower temp settings imo the heater is a beast and session style retains a lot of heat over time
Given that this is a convection vape, I've noticed very different heating and flavor profiles for the very moist bud I was using (VERY hard to work with - my grinder looks like the underside of a lawnmower!) I went 10 draws on #1 before I got to vapor - REALLY tasty. The dry stuff I've had for a month went clouds fast! Can, with this new convection, a difference in moisture make a big difference?

Last edited:
Mad_Max,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Given that this is a convection vape, I've noticed very different heating and flavor profiles for the very moist bud I was using (VERY hard to work with - my grinder looks like the underside of a lawnmower!) I went 10 draws on #1 before I got to vapor - REALLY tasty. The dry stuff I've had for a month went clouds fast! Can, with this new convection, difference in moisture make a big difference?

It's not just convection, there's plenty of radiant conduction going on, but yes that makes sense considering the moisture in the herbs... I haven't had as much dank stuff, but I did try my nicer stuff with Angus and it was not much better than the other stuff, which I felt more comfortable wasting in mine lol

Easywider

Simple is the way
My new cooling unit arrived today. Thanks, @Grover for hooking me up!

Crazy how many differing opinions there are on this device. It's clear to me they did not all come out of the womb with the same DNA.
I just read 2 posts about how the device needs lower temp sets and I'm here hitting a mine natively on 5 wishing there was a 6 because holding boost all the time is annoying. I get wispy vapor on 3 and would have to run 3 sessions to fully extract while 5 gives me copious amounts of vapor but I need to hold boost near the end (or let it heat soak a min after it comes to temp before hitting) to fully exact or I'm starting another session.

I must say though...I've been enjoying the Angus as an at-home portable, I have a unit that tastes great! I filled the WPA with rubies, it pairs really nicely with a hydro tube and has smooth vapor and a great vape signature (reminds me of the hopper) As others have mentioned it needs stronger haptic feedback, sometimes I'll be holding the unit, and still not feel it. It needs to stop turning off every darn time I set it down when it's heating. I haven't seen this mentioned but I'd love to see a built-in tool/pick to empty the chamber when the session is done. I've never seen fully spend material wanting to stay inside a hot chamber so badly before. I think it's the o-ring, it kinda catches the duff and holds it from falling. Maybe if the o-ring was gone the tool would not be necessary lol 2 birds, one stoned.

Needs some improvements but I'm going to continue enjoying the journey.

Mad_Max

I also used conditioned herb helping flavor retention. It's not the detailed palette a "pure" convection vape offers, but the herb didn't turn stale like other session vapes I've tried (MiniVAP being the only exception I ca. think of)
What is the cheapest convection vape that offers this do you think?

Mad_Max,

Shit Snacks

What is the cheapest convection vape that offers this do you think?

Sort of off topic but whatever, specifically should be on demand pure convection, important distinction, along with the full temperature range control, so yeah TM1 or TM2, because you can also get all glass vapor pathway of your choice... That is the most readily available option, there are a lot of other options in the artisan realm, however most are not the cheapest, to get the best vapor quality... So the question is a bit too qualified (and sort of off topic here)

Shit Snacks

I was wanting to compare relative value. For instance, a TinyMight 2 is around $400. Is the Angus at $200, more than half as good as TM2?

TM2 can be had for $315 bought from the right place, TM1 is like $260... However the value is relative and not comparable this way imo as the devices are exactly nothing alike (if I was forced to answer then no it is not even half as good at all for me at least)

floribud

I was also using the lowest setting, where the flavor faded fast and vapor began to taste unpleasant, though it is always super thick clouds... Definitely needs lower temp settings imo the heater is a beast and session style retains a lot of heat over time
but Mr Shit Snacks how do you feel about the Mighty? The flavor in the Angus may fade fast compared to my Splinter Z. But I feel it out performs the Mighty. If you dislike the Mighty, then I don't think you would like the Angus because I find it a slightly better version of the Mighty (but with fewer low temp options). But Generally at 355 I find the Angus tastes way better than the Mighty at 355, and the flavor lasts much longer than the Mighty at 355.

To me the benchmark for this vape has to be the Mighty and honestly since the Angus arrived I've only used my Mighty twice, and that was just for taste comparisons with the Angus. I used to use the Mighty everyday for walking the dog at night, and now it's either the Angus or my ALP.

No before anyone accuses my of fanboying the Angus, yes I do have that problem where anytime I set it down on a hard surface it shuts off. Also I wish it had a 333 setting, which is where I like to use my Mighty. To me the flavor at 355 beats the Mighty at 333, but after about 2-3 minutes it feels too hot for me and I shut it off for a minute or so while continuing to take in really nice vapor (I assume this is the role of the balls).

Also got my new cooling mouthpiece yesterday. Mine had now problems, was nice and clean. Here are some pics. No idea how anyone could melt this new one without taking a torch to it. Also in neither of the suspicious melty pictures did the poster describe how they were using it when it happened. If gone through 4 bowls in a row with the old one and had no sign of anything melting. However the old plastic piece did break off in my original when I was trying to open it

Also, while there were no instructions on how to open to the new cooling unit, it is easy to open the new metal center post thingy. Once it is off you can insert the included tweezers into the body and lift out the bottom. The new unit opened more easily than the first unit. I didn't have to heat it up first, but I still added some dynawax around the gasket to help it slide in and out in the future.

Shit Snacks

but Mr Shit Snacks how do you feel about the Mighty? The flavor in the Angus may fade fast compared to my Splinter Z. But I feel it out performs the Mighty. If you dislike the Mighty, then I don't think you would like the Angus because I find it a slightly better version of the Mighty (but with fewer low temp options). But Generally at 355 I find the Angus tastes way better than the Mighty at 355, and the flavor lasts much longer than the Mighty at 355.

Yeah, I only replied the way I did because it was specifically requested, we were not talking about the mighty at all although I agree that is a more apt comparison for the angus... I found the mighty pretty muted as well with its hybrid heating slow session and plastic pathway even on the low temps, however it can go much lower than Angus (which can go much higher) Anyway is not just the flavor fading fast, I've mentioned how it's entirely possible that session vapes are just not for me, but with my Angus there is actually unpleasant flavors as well and a much harsher poor vapor quality experience although the vapor is extremely dense and potent? Got rid of my Mighty along a while ago so I can't do a full head to head comparison either, but they work very different and I would choose the Mighty if I was picking between them at the same price honestly even though I want neither lol

To me the benchmark for this vape has to be the Mighty and honestly since the Angus arrived I've only used my Mighty twice, and that was just for taste comparisons with the Angus. I used to use the Mighty everyday for walking the dog at night, and now it's either the Angus or my ALP.

Yeah it's all relative to your own personal benchmarks, but for example I prefer xmax v3pro and xlux roffu over angus and mighty (never tried ALP but I might even prefer healthy rips vapes too)

No before anyone accuses my of fanboying the Angus, yes I do have that problem where anytime I set it down on a hard surface it shuts off. Also I wish it had a 333 setting, which is where I like to use my Mighty. To me the flavor at 355 beats the Mighty at 333, but after about 2-3 minutes it feels too hot for me and I shut it off for a minute or so while continuing to take in really nice vapor (I assume this is the role of the balls).

All good dude, any FC thread like this one should be full of opposing viewpoints, on paper it seems clear the Angus would be superior so entirely possible there is manufacturing defect or problem with my unit although otherwise seems perfectly fine... Could be I am just more sensitive and not a fan of this style!

Also got my new cooling mouthpiece yesterday. Mine had now problems, was nice and clean. Here are some pics. No idea how anyone could melt this new one without taking a torch to it. Also in neither of the suspicious melty pictures did the poster describe how they were using it when it happened. If gone through 4 bowls in a row with the old one and had no sign of anything melting. However the old plastic piece did break off in my original when I was trying to open it

Also, while there were no instructions on how to open to the new cooling unit, it is easy to open the new metal center post thingy. Once it is off you can insert the included tweezers into the body and lift out the bottom. The new unit opened more easily than the first unit. I didn't have to heat it up first, but I still added some dynawax around the gasket to help it slide in and out in the future.

Yeah that looks much better, my new CU arrived from vgoodiez today as well, I have not opened it up yet though, not really planning to use it since it doesn't solve the issues I have with the Angus, probably will sell everything together at some point...

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
I also used conditioned herb helping flavor retention. It's not the detailed palette a "pure" convection vape offers, but the herb didn't turn stale like other session vapes I've tried (MiniVAP being the only exception I ca. think of)

I also detect some conduction going on. My guess would be 70/30 convection heavy.I believe its probably the metal chamber providing the conduction, once heated up.

I can also taste the conduction using the TI TM2 stem.

I kinda find this ratio okay, but decreasing the conduction would improve the flavour

oddjobold,
Reactions: Easywider

polopo54

To those who received the new CU's, did the new CU come with an ISO advisory either pro or con? Has anybody tried using ISO on the new CU?
I am also interested in this information.

On top of that - so far I have only the original CU and I wonder about how the clean the 2 black plastic parts. It is similar to Mighty and is getting covered in vape goo the same as the Mighty CU does. With Mighty I am used to dump it into ISO for some minutes, swirl it around, wash off with water and it is good as knew but I noticed a post about discoloration of the Angus CU after using ISO? Could anyone share more information on this topic?

Also do we know if anything changes in this matter with the new CU?

polopo54,

Easywider

Simple is the way
I am also interested in this information.

On top of that - so far I have only the original CU and I wonder about how the clean the 2 black plastic parts. It is similar to Mighty and is getting covered in vape goo the same as the Mighty CU does. With Mighty I am used to dump it into ISO for some minutes, swirl it around, wash off with water and it is good as knew but I noticed a post about discoloration of the Angus CU after using ISO? Could anyone share more information on this topic?

Also do we know if anything changes in this matter with the new CU?

Do exactly as you do with your mighty cooling unit but swap "iso" with "boiling water" Works a treat and it's free!

Top Bottom