Tafée Bowle

Sn4Pz

I'm seeing what your seeing with your TB per your photos. I don't doubt you. I've tried to duplicate it and can't. I see nothing accumulating along the rim of my pot, I even grabbed a loupe for a close up view.

Though I didnt consider myself being an outlier, thats probably the best case scenario...

Anyone email Tafee for a response.
Yes, but I just asked them to comment on it in general, and that I was experiencing the issues. I didnt point to this thread or anything.

But please, just because I've emailed them doesnt mean you shouldnt! You need to as well if you feel this is an important issue.

Last edited:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Here’s my convo from when I reached out two weeks ago for a RMA on the puck.

“Could you tell me about the surface finish used on this vaporizer? At first I thought the metal parts were bead blasted, but now it kind of appears to be a finish coating to simulate the appearance of being bead blasted?”

“Various surface areas of Bowle are finished via different methods including and not limited to bead blast and painting.
The Stem Slot will exhibit evidence of use in cosmetic markings of no consequence or impact to performance.”

Sn4Pz

Here’s my convo from when I reached out two weeks ago for a RMA on the puck.

“Could you tell me about the surface finish used on this vaporizer? At first I thought the metal parts were bead blasted, but now it kind of appears to be a finish coating to simulate the appearance of being bead blasted?”

“Various surface areas of Bowle are finished via different methods including and not limited to bead blast and painting.
The Stem Slot will exhibit evidence of use in cosmetic markings of no consequence or impact to performance.”
What about the performance of my lungs :(

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
Anyone here try to clean a pots rim and then see if you can get (what I assume is ) Aluminium dust from the notched element onto the pot? I just did, took me about 15 ins and outs to notice a few additional little particles on the crucible. Not sure what else it could be 🤔

I know it's supposed to stay out of the airpath, but can anyone else confirm?

Here are 3 pics I took, 1 and 2 are with a clean rim and the third shows the grey dust that built up over those 15 times.

It looks almost as though the pot can hit the metal ball on it's way in and out... Imo that would leave it in the airpath.

Cleaning the pots now... Before anyone says anything about how dirty they are... Lol

Edit: Just had my personal best charging time of one hour, flat! I wonder what gave the Tafee the kick it needed :hmm:

Mine didn't get anywhere close to getting uncomfortably hot, but I didn't feel it was vaping right either, so I'm not sure which one is normal.

Still waiting for the replacement puck over here, looks like nothing for this week.

Regarding the finish: I brought this up after my first day with the device and signs of wear were already showing - IMHO the finish seems inappropriate for this usage, but nobody seems to care since Tafee says its "normal" and a medical vape guy was involved. The notion that it's "out of the vape path" doesn't seem quite right to me, as I would get crumbs from the bowl in the same location of the wear. Now I'm just an amateur designer and didn't go to a big celebrated school to learn design, but even so, I'm not really convinced a product which literally won various design awards, should be scraping the finish off after one afternoon of use. I'm not sure it would even qualify for medical designation until that was fixed?

Still been looking forward to receiving the replacement puck as everyone seems delighted by the vapor, and I want to give the Bowle a fair chance.
I haven't had any 'too hot' issues. I haven't had heat issues with the vapor or holding the unit. I finish off everything at level 4 and usually take 2 to 3 draws at 4 and replace the pot. When removing the pot at level 4 right after that last hit the pot has been hot and so is the stem but only where the pot sits. I can still pull the pot out and in a second or two the pot and stem are on the high end of warm and not hot. Admittedly I've been told that my heat sensing is not as sensitive as some.

I still have no internal scratches where the stem is inserted and no metal dust anywhere I can see including the lip of the pot. I just tried using a ISO soaked q-tip just now to rub along the ball catch on the stem and the inside of the puck where the stem sits....nothing grey or metal looking showed up. I've had the Bowle since late December and did a deep clean 3 weeks ago.

ChooChooCharlie

Am I the only one who feels that the puck and stem get too hot from successive or chain hitting?

I'm using the cup as insulation now, besides it looking better and feeling more stable with it. But mainly so that I can rest the puck on my palm with fingers on plastic cup parts. I get the feeling the cup was designed with this in mind. For insulation of the hot puck. For this, I'm preferring the Auto fire function. Holding down the button is just too hot unless I avoid touching the bowl area but that's directly on the other side. Again, this only happens when chain hitting it. Mighty does the same at highest temps but is not as hot possibly due to larger mass and fins.

Successive hits at level 4 will make mine too hot to touch. I don't remember anyone mentioning this or am i just too sensitive? I do have two and both are the same.

Battery life really isn't ideal for those who uses level 3 and above. I could get to 4 bowls if i temp step from 2. If I start at 3, I only get 3 bowls, which is not the end of the world but like i said, is not ideal. I wonder how long till it reaches 1 bowl per charge? Cos it'd be unusable then?

I am already seeing quartz, SIC or even ruby bowls being introduced soon. It'll be a gold mine for Tafee lol.

Besides that, replacement batteries would be sick, or people would just have to fork up to buy more pucks. Perhaps the heater is meant to have the same lifespan as the battery? In that case, replacement batteries would seem moot.

I'm an idiot when it comes to WPAs. What are some of the best ideas for them so far?

I do like this vape very much. Words cannot describe how thankful I am to Taffee just for the opportunity to Vape in the same room with my wife, who does not partake. No more exhaling out the window or bathroom lol. This is already worth the $400++ price tag imo LOL.
@Vapefanatic - I mentioned the hot stem baseplate in first of six posts on page six, the coffee picture post. I was an excited new owner, and wanted to share both the good and bad, but maybe posted too often in my excitement. Got really bitchy on page eight. Also spoke of super hot stem base on page 17, after concentrate session on level 4

I managed to be incorrect twice in that coffee post, real talent there. First, pouring hot coffee into the tall cup. Didn't damage it, but was told not to do that. Second mistake was thinking the cup idea came after the vape. Wrong again, ChaCha, the drinking/vaping cohabit/codevice notion was at the core of the design from inception

My pots are still roasting dark and thorough, just like pics on page six

Still holding it like pic on page seven, avoids hot stem area while resting index finger on fire button

Still not concerned about finish wear, not visible unless looking for it, and outside vapor pathway IMO

Still get very intermittent heater cutoff, once out of four pots maybe. Annoying, but not enough to ruin my day. Reminds me of Hopper, intermittent light, no light after clicking on

Still drink too much. Bowle was drained this morning when I wanted a wake n bake, and I seem to have lost a pot. Probably dropped it last night, they are hot, and may have rolled under fridge? That's my working theory

I rubbed a dry q-tip around the stem insert area on the puck, as well as the spot on the stem where it locks against the little ball bearing on the puck. I ended up with a bit of grey residue on the q-tip. Kinda looks similar to what people were showing on their Volcano Hybrid units when there was an issue with the bowl. Not sure if this is "aluminum dust" or some sort of finish. These spots are definitely outside the vapor path, as the lip of the pot forms a seal with the screen area inside the puck.

Is it possible that this residue (whatever it is) could get inside the pot, and therefore inside the vapor path? I suppose it is possible. I haven't seen any residue inside my pots. I'm honestly not too concerned about it personally, but I would like to see Tafee address the situation for sure. I'm not going to stop using the vape though.

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
I rubbed a dry q-tip around the stem insert area on the puck, as well as the spot on the stem where it locks against the little ball bearing on the puck. I ended up with a bit of grey residue on the q-tip. Kinda looks similar to what people were showing on their Volcano Hybrid units when there was an issue with the bowl. Not sure if this is "aluminum dust" or some sort of finish. These spots are definitely outside the vapor path, as the lip of the pot forms a seal with the screen area inside the puck.

Is it possible that this residue (whatever it is) could get inside the pot, and therefore inside the vapor path? I suppose it is possible. I haven't seen any residue inside my pots. I'm honestly not too concerned about it personally, but I would like to see Tafee address the situation for sure. I'm not going to stop using the vape though.
I posted earlier about using an ISO soaked Q-Tip to go over the areas being discussed and found nothing grey/metallic.

Having had the Bowle since late December and doing a deep clean around 3 weeks ago......I wonder if the residue occurs during the break-in period, whatever that break in period may be, and having done a deep clean after more than a month of heavy use cleaned it out?

Maybe we could get a couple Bowle owners who are lazy about cleaning like me to test the premise by doing a deep clean, waiting a week or so and then looking for residue?

Edit: The Bowle is one of the few vapes I own that I didn't do a serious burn off or initial clean when I first received it because it had no taste or smell....could minor residue be occurring during manufacturing? I didn't notice it but as I said....I didn't give it a clean or righteous burn-off when it came through the door so I wasn't looking either. This suggestion goes out to owners like me who have no scratches.

Last edited:

Sn4Pz

I posted earlier about using an ISO soaked Q-Tip to go over the areas being discussed and found nothing grey/metallic.

Having had the Bowle since late December and doing a deep clean around 3 weeks ago......I wonder if the residue occurs during the break-in period, whatever that break in period may be, and having done a deep clean after more than a month of heavy use cleaned it out?

Maybe we could get a couple Bowle owners who are lazy about cleaning like me to test the premise by doing a deep clean, waiting a week or so and then looking for residue?
Considering I just cleaned today put me on that list. My bowle is 4 days old at approximately 50 pots in.

ChooChooCharlie

Fun thinking about other drinkware designs. This one looks a bit like the Bowle, but with double wall glass, lid and carry strap. A shorter Bowle version would up the stealth portability game. Their charging dock is clever, no need to remove cup ;)
usb-travel-mug.jpg

Found this 12 ounce skinny steel insulated tumbler with lid. Very discreet carrying, everyone seems to carry a beverage container. Under side of nose hits lid when hitting it, but can remove tumbler for hits
Bowle-with-tumbler.jpg

Edit: 70F, couldn't resist a Bowle stroll

My cup runneth over:
Bowle-at-Waterfront-Park.jpg

Last edited:
@His_Highness I wouldn't be surprised if there was some residue leftover from the manufacturing process. What I saw on the q-tip was not unlike what you would see if you ran a q-tip through a brand new Dynavap fresh from the factory. I've owned my unit for a month and a half, and I've done a deep clean once, where I soaked the stem in iso. Obviously, you can't do that with the puck.

Vapefanatic

After a couple recharge cycles, I'm now able to get slightly better battery life, like many before me have mentioned. I'm doing it Troy style but shorter inhalations, around 10 to 15 secs max. Level 4 only. Around 5 to 6 draws per bowl. I might stir the last 1-2 hits. Managed to get 4 bowls out of it so I guess mine's working normally.

kimura

I've noticed the same wear on my mouthpiece where the ball snaps into the divet. I do think this could potentially become a wear and tear issue over time, if it ever gets to the point that the mouthpiece isn't held in securely. but I'm not looking at this as a serious health concern. I have no reason to believe the wear particles (which I cannot see) are ending up in the pot. yes, it's possible, but these particles would have to "jump" the gap between the divet and the lip of the pot as you remove the mouthpiece from the puck. then they would have to make the journey up the condensate-coated mouthpiece without getting stuck in the stickiness.

I'll keep an eye out for anything weird in my pots. I'm expecting that the mouthpiece will be worn down to a certain point and then it will stop. either that or Tafee will owe everyone a replacement mouthpiece. use of stainless steel on the area getting worn down could probably put the whole thing to bed

SquirrelMaster

I don't think anything ever made it from my stem into one of my pots when mine wore in not long after receiving. For one, I always pop the stem out slowly and I never noticed any shiny residue, though I could have missed it. I emailed Tafee about it and they stated the same as they told @invertedisdead that it's out of the air path. I don't like it from a cosmetic standpoint at the very least but I'm a little OCD about stuff like that and I've managed to not really think about it since it's hidden away. Stainless Steel would be great, or would it? I think it would cause heat issues when holding it and I don't know if Tafee could just add a SS section that clips in.

Sn4Pz

First, pouring hot coffee into the tall cup. Didn't damage it, but was told not to do that
My cup has some big stretch marks in it from the two (yes, only two) times I poured tea into it :rofl:

It was only 170deg F tea anyways, not even boiling. Kind of sucks but when I get my replacement drinkwear this busted one will either become a snack cup or a dedicated tea cup :hmm:

I wish we would hear something about real glass drinkware :shrug:

Last edited:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
FWIW I don't know that the wear around the stem and oven chamber is a major health concern at this point, but it does appear from @EnemyLemon post that not all units may be making a proper seal between the oven and pot. Perhaps that's why my unit had AVB dust in the same locations as the wear? Could also explain the less than stellar performance I was experiencing. I think this is a good distinction to make though, that the gasket probably does in fact provide a good amount of isolation - assuming the gasket itself is forming a proper seal. Suffice to say, plenty of mechanical failures have occured due to gaskets losing their seal, though I don't think it's something that would likely be catastrophic on a small vaporizer, maybe a bigger deal in a submarine 😬😬

Hopefully any poor seal would result in enough of a performance loss that it would eventually be checked out and caught during servicing. Maybe a little more tricky to diagnose for those having issues right out of the box, as that's probably most people's first impressions with the device though.

Still, at this price point I would have liked to see hard anodization, or cerakote, or some finish designed to take a bit more wear. There are certainly lower priced vapes which use these types of finish. I think it tarnishes the "premium" tag a bit when entry level vapes like my Arizer Air still look brand new. That said, I'm still not quite sure how some experience wear on day one, while others such as the good sire @His_Highness notes zero wear.

Regarding stainless steel vs aluminum cooling stems: aluminum melts at half the temperature of SS, with these parts being cast it would likely present considerable cost differences; suffice to say SS is also not technically considered a great heat conductor, so the cooling effectiveness would likely be less. Though SS is often used instead of aluminum in heat exchangers designed to process more critical components. It's up to the end user to make the distinction about how critical they feel cannabis vapor is. Should these parts be stainless steel at this price range? Again, that's gonna be subjective so I'll let others decide that one for themselves. Regardless of opinions on aluminum, very few materials have better thermal properties.

Re: metallic "residue" inside the pots themselves: I noticed this right out of the gate myself, and I'm pretty confident it's from stirring - zirconia is 9 mohs, which means it will be harder than pretty much anything it comes into contact with. Last year I gifted a family member an enameled cast iron Dutch oven; thinking it was just "cast iron" they used metal utensils on it, and after the first use there was metallic "residue" from the utensils left on the enamel. It looked like the pot was all scratched up, but the pot was actually fine- it was the tools that took a small bit of wear. It turns out this is fairly common occurrence for people new to enameled pots. I think that's what's going on here.

BestBuds

The Dude
I'm sitting here watching my Bowlé charge and I can't but think this needs a koozié attachment. Basically a cup (cupé) bottom with a neoprene sleeve for bottles and cans. For water and flavored seltzer and what not. Definitely not alcohol :cool::brow:
Sounds like a nice little accessory they could offer.

Sn4Pz

I'm sitting here watching my Bowlé charge and I can't but think this needs a koozié attachment. Basically a cup (cupé) bottom with a neoprene sleeve for bottles and cans. For water and flavored seltzer and what not. Definitely not alcohol :cool::brow:
You might want to make it yourself depending on whether or not you have a bowle that will get hot after long vaping sessions lol. Seems to happen to some and not others.

Last edited:

Texus

Love this idea.

Also, wow am I getting great hits just hanging out here at the lowest settings. Really remarkable flavor and overall hit quality. So impressive.

Yeah, I just had a quick sesh myself. Loaded ~.08g of Zkittlez, light tamp, straight to level 3. Two big rips followed by a clean-up hit with hardly any vapor. Great flavor, nice clouds, no fuss. This thing extracts very quickly and efficiently, and the AVB was a perfectly even medium brown when I was done. I did stir between hits. I love how well this vape works!

Texus

Yeah, I just had a quick sesh myself. Loaded ~.08g of Zkittlez, light tamp, straight to level 3. Two big rips followed by a clean-up hit with hardly any vapor. Great flavor, nice clouds, no fuss. This thing extracts very quickly and efficiently, and the AVB was a perfectly even medium brown when I was done. I did stir between hits. I love how well this vape works!
NIce. Based on the hype, I'd have suspected that. To get the types of hits I was on Level 1? Daaaaammmmmmnnnnn.

All this while I am not bothering to stir. Hopefully I'll remember to take a closer look at the remnants...

Mndeadhead

Is the registration service busted for anyone else right now? I cant register. Keeps telling me to fill in all the fields, but I have.
I was having this same problem registering a second one today. I emailed support and asked them to attach the SN to my customer record

Am I the only one who feels that the puck and stem get too hot from successive or chain hitting?

I'm using the cup as insulation now, besides it looking better and feeling more stable with it. But mainly so that I can rest the puck on my palm with fingers on plastic cup parts. I get the feeling the cup was designed with this in mind. For insulation of the hot puck. For this, I'm preferring the Auto fire function. Holding down the button is just too hot unless I avoid touching the bowl area but that's directly on the other side. Again, this only happens when chain hitting it. Mighty does the same at highest temps but is not as hot possibly due to larger mass and fins.

Successive hits at level 4 will make mine too hot to touch. I don't remember anyone mentioning this or am i just too sensitive? I do have two and both are the same.

Battery life really isn't ideal for those who uses level 3 and above. I could get to 4 bowls if i temp step from 2. If I start at 3, I only get 3 bowls, which is not the end of the world but like i said, is not ideal. I wonder how long till it reaches 1 bowl per charge? Cos it'd be unusable then?

I am already seeing quartz, SIC or even ruby bowls being introduced soon. It'll be a gold mine for Tafee lol.

Besides that, replacement batteries would be sick, or people would just have to fork up to buy more pucks. Perhaps the heater is meant to have the same lifespan as the battery? In that case, replacement batteries would seem moot.

I'm an idiot when it comes to WPAs. What are some of the best ideas for them so far?

I do like this vape very much. Words cannot describe how thankful I am to Taffee just for the opportunity to Vape in the same room with my wife, who does not partake. No more exhaling out the window or bathroom lol. This is already worth the $400++ price tag imo LOL.
Vape fiend had a session a couple of weeks ago. Bruno had sent a bunch of feedback. One of the thing they encouraged was letting the batteries “settle” a bit between hits. Sounds like back to back hits in rapid succession aren’t the best fo battery life. They also suggest the press and hold method since it will cause the oven to turn off and let you still hit for a couple of seconds to clear the chamber.

Top Bottom