Tafée Bowle

zatonic

Is it really the exact same thing without the coating? That doesn't make sense at all. There have to be other differences, no? For some reason I thought these were going to be stainless steel vs. the aluminium of the original. Has anyone asked Tafee to give a better explanation than the description on the website?
More timely process, some of it possibly done by hand because of the angles. Spraying / powder coating is way faster and easier.

danjens

That must be it - I don't have one, I wish I did! But now I think you are right from looking at the picture, the base is a different material. So probably steel stem base, aluminium stem tube.

And yes currently if you have one, if you want a similar look, could take the coating off yourself to save the added cost. If I was ordering a new stem, I would pay the extra for a machined though.

I also thought that the 'machined stems' would be a different material, entirely stainless steel or something. What is preferable, stainless steel or aluminium vapour path?
SS far superior. Aluminum is linked to a lot of cognitive issues.

MinnBobber

But this is smart placement of metals with SS close to the hot bowl and aluminum downstream.
This combo works well with the lighter aluminum stem….so that it easily stands on its own for loading/ unloading. Heavy SS base and lightweight stem.

Many vapes have aluminum in the bowl or aluminum loading capsules so the aluminum stem does not bother me as it only sees low temps.

Kaptan

I wish Tafee’ would create a new design that incorporates the stem as it is, but change the puck to be similar in shape to a firewood7 where the stem base would click into the bottom making the stem flush with the vape body. Basically, the puck would be rectangular in shape - similar to TokedVapors. Yes, you would no longer have the cup in the design, but could easily fit in a pocket for on the go use.

JCat

Accessory Maker
In the way it is used here I see no issues. It is acting as a heat sink, not a cooking surface that gets scratched where one would actually consume any aluminum.

aluminum oxidizes in air extremely quickly, making it highly unlikely that in this usage you would have any exposure to aluminum.

on top of that, the much, much higher thermal conductivity of aluminum vs stainless steel makes it effective at cooling the vapour whereas SS would not be great at this.

so all that being said, I think the choice of materials for the new machined stem is correct; I would prefer this over the powder coated one but have no interest whatsoever in a fully SS one that would take away the cooling magic of the Bowle.

just my 2 cents :)

danjens

In the way it is used here I see no issues. It is acting as a heat sink, not a cooking surface that gets scratched where one would actually consume any aluminum.

aluminum oxidizes in air extremely quickly, making it highly unlikely that in this usage you would have any exposure to aluminum.

on top of that, the much, much higher thermal conductivity of aluminum vs stainless steel makes it effective at cooling the vapour whereas SS would not be great at this.

so all that being said, I think the choice of materials for the new machined stem is correct; I would prefer this over the powder coated one but have no interest whatsoever in a fully SS one that would take away the cooling magic of the Bowle.

just my 2 cents :)
I totally agree with you on the machined stem. SS bowl aluminum stem seems like best of both worlds.
My concerns came from the fact that the ceramic bowls have “eroded” the coating in the hot zone of my stem. Leaving an ever increasing area of exposed heated aluminum.
To each their own, but in the long run that’s not something I’d like to be exposed to.

cliffhanger1

some of us have also reported that the coating on the stem has come off.
mee too but for only one of my stems. i personally have no big problems with it

but maybe one should just have left out the coating there, one could have used aluminum if it really matters in the warm of the steam
but maybe without coating it.

ChooChooCharlie

Machined finish does have a textured appearance, blends with original coating on stem

Still same materials used I believe, only difference is the surface finish on base of stem

(no, I have no idea how they "machine" the surface to look good without powder coating)

Three-stems-compared.jpg

Edit:
My best guess about the "machining" : bead blasting
That would account for the new part weighing 3 grams less?

bead-blasting-excerpt.jpg

Fun pulling guesses out of my googling butt -- cranial beads

Last edited:

thunderstealer1337

Can you guys not get a straight answer from the maker? I know they dodged that question earlier. Have they released any sds, or answered to why their unit is not being tested for medical use in Canada but say it is? Or is there some other medical lab? Didn't we see some Canada report about the vapes in process or trying to get medically certified from their national lab and this unit/brand was not listed.

graydeh1

REP for TRVP ATTY, Shellshock/Tectonic and more.
Company Rep
if you like to have ice in your drinks i would do the large for more flexibility, i have both and the large allows the extra room. the cooling is about the same between stems.
thanks, I am using at home so I think I may as well get the longer stem. Any taste difference meaning does the shorter stem have better taste or both about the same?

ChooChooCharlie

Couple random Bowle comments:

Units from 12/20 and 1/21 still good, steady alternating use, all day. Habit of charging with timer switch after every pot eliminates battery life issues for me

Posted amazon link previously for 1/2 inch steel screens, 200 for $10. So quick and easy to poke out old one, use alcohol prep pads and poker to clean pot, insert new. I know, I'm ruining the environment by tossing out a tiny little screen every week. I also q-tip steel base plate area after every other use -- can go months, maybe a year without complete stem cleaning

One last stoned bit of twisted Thomas verse:

"Do not draw gently from your Bowle, alright?
Old habits should burn, draw in a sure, steady way
Rage, rage against the dying of the green light"

cliffhanger1

Does anyone here have a remedy for the battery life on the Bowle? I got mine in June and to me I rarely can get 2+ bowls on it. Would prob die midway through the third
from June, that is a very short time and the battery cant be over ;)
try a reset. press both buttons 5 times quickly together. then wait minimum 5 minutes and then load it fully.

Edit:
i take my time vaping and always try to get everything out of the herb. I only get 3 sessions, but 2 sounds very little

Last edited:

MinnBobber

I also q-tip steel base plate area after every other use -- can go months, maybe a year without complete stem cleaning

One last stoned bit of twisted Thomas verse:

"Do not draw gently from your Bowle, alright?
Old habits should burn, draw in a sure, steady way
Rage, rage against the dying of the green light"

I also q-tip the steel base plate and recently soaked the stem after months of use….but it really did not need cleaning.
Note that latest FAQ says to limit taking stem apart.

Do not draw gently….. Rodney Dangerfield probably has multiple Bowles in play on the other side.
Rodney in Back To School is a good stoner flick.

ChooChooCharlie

@jasp3r - Saw your battery life, rather living undead battery post, got curious about mine
Scribbled down with pen each pot's session start, so I wouldn't lose track:myday:

six-Bowles-per-charge.jpg

Everyone vapes differently, though

My style is 3 draws, quickly. Entire "session" lasts a bit more than a minute. First two draws at level three, 15-20 secs each. Last draw at level four, for 10-15 secs

This loyal 6 month old Bowle showed me the "knight rider" empty batt lights at very end of last draw of pot number 6. Faithful! Hope he doesn't retire, and end up in The Village (readers wondering when boomers will stop making obscure references)

Edit: That was The Village from sixties Brit TV show "The Prisoner" not the Villages in Florida

Recharge to full just over 1 hour, nice!

Respect Tafée Quick Charge 3.0 charger brick AND QC 3 cable. Bought a few cables from amazon labeled QC 3 and they suck with Bowle, forcing reset

Edit again:
cropped image of envelope above leaves doubt... conservative or conservation...grrr,

freaked me after noticing, but fun noticing the noticing, if you notice what I notice, so hoping you notice this wider perspective and don't nod off to sleep before then, here's wider corrective envelope view:
zoo-envelope.jpg

Last edited:

condition

Units from 12/20 and 1/21 still good, steady alternating use, all day. Habit of charging with timer switch after every pot eliminates battery life issues for me

Posted amazon link previously for 1/2 inch steel screens, 200 for $10. So quick and easy to poke out old one, use alcohol prep pads and poker to clean pot, insert new. I know, I'm ruining the environment by tossing out a tiny little screen every week. I also q-tip steel base plate area after every other use -- can go months, maybe a year without complete stem cleaning
I also bought the 200 screens from amazon. There are so convenient as a bowle screen can be clogged with just 2 pots. So I changed the screen every couple of pots but I don't toss the used, I put it in ISO and forget it. When there are more than 20 or 30 used screens I wash them out of ISO and reuse them like new.

Datoneguy

Saw someone earlier in the thread mention a stainless steel stem. Is that still in the works or nah?

Datoneguy,
Top Bottom