Stupid Newbie How to Stay Clean Questions…

DRCousCous

Well-Known Newb
Hi everyone,

So, I’m not new to cannabis or vaping, but I still feel like a relative newb when using concentrates, and especially quartz for resin/rosin. I started off using a DVT4 with the SiC cup and liked it quite a bit (mostly bottomless banger through a smallish rig). When I started using more concentrate than the v4 tiny cup was good with… I “upgraded” to a 710coils deep dish 25mm setup. And here is where the questions come in, because I keep getting blackened material on the bottom/in the corners of my opaque 25mm quartz that I can’t clean out with hot swabbing with ISO and qtips/glob mobs. What am I doing wrong?

1) Is my controller just running “hot” and using at 420-440 just burning my concentrates at the end of a pull? Can I drop down on a standard 710 controller (it is a Disorderly Conduction box) into the 300s without wasting material, might that help?

2) Is there a better way to keep clean between dabs (at least once a day, sometimes twice or three times a day dabber here) than hotswabbing with ISO?

3) Is deep cleaning with the gently-warmed SimpleGreen (as per 710’s FAQ) the best way to get rid of the blackened material at the bottom?

4) I’ve also tried the soak in 91% ISO and kosher/picking salt, and I’ve always got a bit of blackened stuff hanging in the corners… Better way to do that?

Anyhow, sorry for the dumb questions. I’ve got a brain disease (quite literally, unfortunately), and I feel like I’m getting stupider by the week if not the day. This isn’t rocket science, and I’m an actual scientist (or was, but not rockets) who can’t seem to figure out opaque bottom quartz with an otherwise AWESOME e-rig.

(PS: I have zero problems with 710, their products, their service, or anything else. I’m ordering a deep dish clear bottom and some ruby pearls, and have been enjoying their collab with Straight Glass spinners a lot! It is a far better dabbing experience than my older setup, even if that was cleaner it seems like).

Last edited:

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
That type of burn-in tends to happen with enails and quartz across the board, especially if you are using flower rosin.

Any residual material left behind after a qtip wipe is going to slowly burn in whenever your nail is on.

I found it largely unavoidable, and only use my quartz with traditional torches or cold starts. My quartz tends to last 1year plus with HEAVY use before showing signs of devitrification. It really helps to have a temp tool also, do you use a dab rite or any other temp measuring devise before you dab? Hitting hot does stain hard and fast.

For the minimal amount of maintenance I wish to put into it, I only pair my enails with SiC. SiC never degrades, chazzes, or devitrifies and is easier to clean than anything else I've ever used.

DRCousCous

Well-Known Newb
Well, you hit on some points that are absolutely the case. I use different products as they are available, sometimes flower and sometimes hash rosin or live resin when I can afford it (which isn’t often). And my coil does stay hot for a while after turning off, so it may just burn on anything left over. I don’t have the money for SiC (except maybe an insert, not sure how that would work) except the itty bitty cups on 510 mods, and they aren’t working great for me (the coil and quartz is just… simpler, easier, and less fiddly. So, after this ISO + Salt bath, I’m going to give lower temps a shot.

Also, thanks for that tip @kellya86 I tend to mob up and put it away, and I should just pop in ISO every night. Not that much more work. Incidentally, that is an amazing Chicken in your profile pic :) End up in your stew pot or fried with some pasta I hope?

kellya86

Herb gardener...
Well, you hit on some points that are absolutely the case. I use different products as they are available, sometimes flower and sometimes hash rosin or live resin when I can afford it (which isn’t often). And my coil does stay hot for a while after turning off, so it may just burn on anything left over. I don’t have the money for SiC (except maybe an insert, not sure how that would work) except the itty bitty cups on 510 mods, and they aren’t working great for me (the coil and quartz is just… simpler, easier, and less fiddly. So, after this ISO + Salt bath, I’m going to give lower temps a shot.

Also, thanks for that tip @kellya86 I tend to mob up and put it away, and I should just pop in ISO every night. Not that much more work. Incidentally, that is an amazing Chicken in your profile pic :) End up in your stew pot or fried with some pasta I hope?

Also i put it in iso when its still a bit warm. You can see the carbon shit lift off..
Not too hot obviously..

Thats the best chicken of the woods i ever found.. i wish they were magic.. they look it.. they should be..
Apparently not everyone can eat it.. anyway off topic..

DRCousCous

Well-Known Newb
Tl;dr: I probably was running too hot for my concentrate(s)

So, I cleaned up best I could using ISO, salt, and a dab tool to help loosen the charred bits. I lowered my DC controller settings by 40 (F), did a dab of some fairly dark and ugly, hard CBD rosin, and the leftover mopped right up with a few swabs and some ISO with no apparent burning.

I will definitely do the soak in ISO overnight from now on, but I’m also thinking my controller just runs “really hot.” I was unwittingly going hot (on my older DTv4 setup, I had it dialed in to run really low). I wish I did have a dab right or other reliable temp probe for a surface (wouldn’t an IR temp gun aimed at the inside bottom of the banger be the best?), as I’d really like to know and/or change the temperature readout on the controller. I’m guessing even 10-20 degrees variance would have a pretty big difference effect in trying to get below the “burn” line, just like with vaping dry herb (with which I’m far more familiar).

(OFF TOPIC) That is a glorious, perfect chicken of the woods. My partner has GI issues with almost all wild foraged fungus, including CoW (and M. elata, fire morels), that I’ve brought home and cooked. Doesn’t appear to have issues with farmed buttons or shiitake, strangely. Might be something in the soil around here that isn’t the fungus and is resistant to cooking. And yes, chickens are not magic other than in taste. Good news is, for those who partake, P. cubensis and relatives are ubiquitous and widely distributed in N. America. I hear some of the Hericium group (lion’s mane, bear head tooth, etc.) have similar properties, but I try to avoid such experiences these days (/OFF TOPIC)

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
IMO the easiest method with the enail is to have an extra banger and just cycle them out from your cleaning solution.

The opaque bangers are a lot harder to keep clean due to all those little air pockets. I went back to clear quartz.

:leaf:

710Coils

Manufacturer
@DRCousCous my preferred way of cleaning bangers is the following

1 x gallon of concentrate simple green
1 x cup/candle warmer base
1 x glass measuring cup or a bowl that you can cover
Put dirty bangers in bowl and fill with simple green cover with something (Could be a paper plate)
turn candle warmer on and let run for 6 to 8 hours

Remove bangers and rinse well under hot water till you do not feel any residue
If any bangers still have some fink, scrub at it with a qtip or your finger and toss it back in to soak longer

The above is tried and true and you can reuse the simple green till its funky and then you just dispose of it and pour a fresh bowl of simple green

Shane

Robert-in-YEG

I’ve also tried the soak in 91% ISO and kosher/picking salt, and I’ve always got a bit of blackened stuff hanging in the corners… Better way to do that?
This is what I use to clean my bong. It dissolves the crud for me.

Robert-in-YEG

Purple Power Ultra + Instant Formula Shaking Solution Glass Cleaner​

Purple_power_instant_466x.jpg

DRCousCous

Well-Known Newb
@DRCousCous my preferred way of cleaning bangers is the following

1 x gallon of concentrate simple green
1 x cup/candle warmer base
1 x glass measuring cup or a bowl that you can cover
Put dirty bangers in bowl and fill with simple green cover with something (Could be a paper plate)
turn candle warmer on and let run for 6 to 8 hours

Remove bangers and rinse well under hot water till you do not feel any residue
If any bangers still have some fink, scrub at it with a qtip or your finger and toss it back in to soak longer

The above is tried and true and you can reuse the simple green till its funky and then you just dispose of it and pour a fresh bowl of simple green

Shane
I’m going to do this Shane, thank you. I’m going to order a clear banger so I can can keep that and the opaque in rotation. And thank you for not only selling great stuff but being active (and helpful) to those like me that need the extra help 😂.

CousCous

kellya86

Herb gardener...
but I try to avoid such experiences these
Ha.. i actively seek them out...

A tip for anyone using a @710Coils opaque e slurp.. and this may be common knowledge..
But im new to dabbin..
Wipe your goo on the outside of the tunnel...
Not the outer lip of the dish...
This keeps it so so much cleaner.. twice as many dabs between cleaning..

DRCousCous

Well-Known Newb
Ha.. i actively seek them out...

A tip for anyone using a @710Coils opaque e slurp.. and this may be common knowledge..
But im new to dabbin..
Wipe your goo on the outside of the tunnel...
Not the outer lip of the dish...
This keeps it so so much cleaner.. twice as many dabs between cleaning..
Kelly, Have you tried other coil heated bangers? I really like the looks of the e-slurper (I just don’t like using butane and fire, prefer electric as often as possible), but have never used a slurper before. How does it compare to “normal” bangers (in terms of function, enjoyment, ease of cleaning)?

I’m relatively new to dabbing as well, and started the “hard way” lol: atomizers, 510 attachments (definitely serve a legit function but fiddly), and nectar collectors. Those all work, but other than the cleaning issue I’ve had a far more enjoyable and easy time using the 710Coils banger and DC controller. Plus the controller can do double duty by driving a ball-injection dry herb vape (which I use as well). But the slurper looks… cool.

DRCousCous,
Reactions: kellya86

kellya86

Herb gardener...
Kelly, Have you tried other coil heated bangers? I really like the looks of the e-slurper (I just don’t like using butane and fire, prefer electric as often as possible), but have never used a slurper before. How does it compare to “normal” bangers (in terms of function, enjoyment, ease of cleaning)?

I’m relatively new to dabbing as well, and started the “hard way” lol: atomizers, 510 attachments (definitely serve a legit function but fiddly), and nectar collectors. Those all work, but other than the cleaning issue I’ve had a far more enjoyable and easy time using the 710Coils banger and DC controller. Plus the controller can do double duty by driving a ball-injection dry herb vape (which I use as well). But the slurper looks… cool.
Nothing to compare to yet..
Except evo quartz nail dabbing(always burnt)
I started by buying a 710 e-slurp..
Then i got a std banger and axial coil from 710..
And another e-slurp..
And i got some coming from dhgate..
But at this point only used a slurp..
Only been dabbing a week..
Waiting on a direction carb cap to use my 710 standard banger..
What i can say is it tastes fucking amazing from start to finish, and is jus cool to watch..

DRCousCous

Well-Known Newb
Only been dabbing a week..
Waiting on a direction carb cap to use my 710 standard banger..
What i can say is it tastes fucking amazing from start to finish, and is jus cool to watch..

So, I know I’m new to dabbing, but one thing I can say about dabbing with the 710 standard bangers: the Str8 Glass Spinner collab and some of their sapphire pearls make a really nice upgrade to a directional cap (in my experience). Directional caps (I have a few) are super great and look awesome, but I tend to get a better, more complete vaporization of material with the spinner and pearls.

I’ll put an e-slurp on my “To-Do” list for medication before the year’s out :)

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Welcome to the dark side... there is no going back once one experiences concentrates on a rig.

There are tradeoffs and attributes to all kinds of caps. Spinners require a lot more airflow and that may or may not be a good thing, depending on your setup. I find I go a little lower in temps with directional caps. Experiment and see what works for you.

DRCousCous

Well-Known Newb
Welcome to the dark side... there is no going back once one experiences concentrates on a rig.

There are tradeoffs and attributes to all kinds of caps. Spinners require a lot more airflow and that may or may not be a good thing, depending on your setup. I find I go a little lower in temps with directional caps. Experiment and see what works for you.
That’s a sound point about the temps. I use both spinner and directional depending on whim, mostly. But it is easier to go low and slow with a directional. The str8 glass spinners that Shane is selling are slightly different design from a traditional spinner cap, and I find they kind of work a bit like a directional and bit like a flat cap spinner. Has quickly become my favorite.

But you’re also right about the rig. My favorite bubbler that is a bit tight, and I have to inhale pretty strong to get the pearls really spinning. I have some other pipes that are really low restriction, and it changes things. Best to have about 15 caps and 4 pipes in my experience. Plus at least four bangers, three sets of pearls, glass and metal dab tools, and …

DAS is becoming worse for me than VAS 😂

DRCousCous

Well-Known Newb
I followed the advice given by @710Coils to the letter. It’s the same, I realized later, as what he’s written up on the FAQ on his website. Got the cup/candle warmer, the concentrated green stuff, and popped in the opaque bottom banger. The blackened crud in the corners literally fell out after about 48h gently sitting in there. Rinsed with hot water, then with ISO, and done.

I guess I should have read the FAQ in the first place lol. (Also, I’ve turned my controller down and it works much better for my purposes and rosins). Here are the picture proofs:
The ‘scratching’ is from my attempts to scrape the blackened bits off with a tool ;/ Lesson learned.

710Coils

Manufacturer
Once they soak for a bit everything should just come out without scrubbing and if there is anything that doesn't want to come off. Just toss it back in for a few more hours and it should do the trick =)

DRCousCous

Well-Known Newb
What ratio for Salt : ISO?
No ratio! I was just putting 91% ISO in a bag with some canning salt (no additives), and letting it soak for a bit. That sort of worked, however, the protocol that Shane describes above (they are his products, after all) works MUCH better: get a cup/candle warmer, put some of that green concentrate in a jar (a pint wide mouth mason jar works perfect for me.,.. two bangers plus other small glass can fit at same time), leave it to stay warm over night. The charred bits detach and can literally be washed out or wiped away. So now I save my ISO for just the final rinse after using hot water to wash out the green concentrate soap.

If that doesn’t make sense, look at the pics I posted above, and read @710Coils posts in this thread. His method really does work and is far superior to anything else I’ve tried (for bangers).

DRCousCous,
Reactions: 710Coils

bizwaxzion

Enigmatic Cannabist
If you are looking for a quick clean, baking soda and enough water to make a paste works very well.

bizwaxzion,
Top Bottom