StemPod by MPL

bigmike

I've never used a 510 atty for vaporizing herb. I do use an ecig, though. I dont think you can use temp control on a coil that isn't wet. I think the glass rod would keep the coils from glowing so you could use temp control with the stempod. Maybe I was just super high last night.

bigmike,
Reactions: KeroZen

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Ah ok. Then no, we can definitely use temp control on dry coils, it just measures the resistance change in real-time and extrapolates the temperature from that. Then we need to offset to account for the fact we are heating air which in turns heats the material at a distance.

As for the glowing, it's really a matter of wire gauge and quantity (surface area) It can (and IMHO should) definitely be avoided.

Last edited:

foggyent

So I'm back after a lot of testing. I tried changing the internal resistance to what someone on the internet said was more accurate for my mod, but didn't notice any performance difference. I tried a variety of different TCR values, which had a small impact. I got some super clapton wire, and made coils w/ 5 and a half turns, which made a small difference.
2340ll.jpg[
2340ll.jpg

The thing that made the biggest difference was packing the stem much looser. After packing the stem loosely I was blown away by what a big difference it made. All the sudden I was get huge clouds at 385 degrees. Previously I had been packing the stem the same way I did for my Arizer Air; I would fill the stem and then tamp in down with my finger. Stupidly I just assumed what worked for the other vape would be good for this too. Anyway it feels like a whole new device now that I fixed how I pack it, and I am truly loving it!

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
Some thoughts

This has become my favorite 510 vape. I am really surprised that you can get such great quality vapor from a couple of standard e-cig coils.Makes me ask why have we been bothering with HSA heaters all this time?

Still using the notch coils at the moment, do claptons make a big difference in performance? Not tried them yet.

In regards to the O-ring. I can never seem to get this to work. None of my stems will work with it in. Am i doing something wrong?

I am now using my splinter more than my stempod.

I only ever use the airflow adjustment in one setting, and splinter already seems dialed in with the perfect airflow.

Also i found the o-ring issue a little anoying with stempod. I cant get any stem to work with the oring - and stems are a tiny bit wobbly without. A very minor anoyance, but the fit is just better with the splinter.

I had a very tough job deciding which vape i prefer out of the splinter or stempod. They are very equal, each with there pros and cons. At the moment the oring issue means splinter has my vote, by a tiny tiny margain. This oring issue could be user error, i have tried pushing it in many times. It was lose when my stempod arrived so i never got to see how it was meant to fit.

I hope the imp will be the best of both worlds. As if stempod and splinter had a baby.

Last edited:

snamuh

ghost
Are there any pre-made coils to buy somewhere that will not glow?

I'm looking into buying this but I don't really want to use glowing coils.

Also has anyone used the quarts quest coils?

mlongpre

I am now using my splinter more than my stempod.

I only ever use the airflow adjustment in one setting, and splinter already seems dialed in with the perfect airflow.

Also i found the o-ring issue a little anoying with stempod. I cant get any stem to work with the oring - and stems are a tiny bit wobbly without. A very minor anoyance, but the fit is just better with the splinter.

I had a very tough job deciding which vape i prefer out of the splinter or stempod. They are very equal, each with there pros and cons. At the moment the oring issue means splinter has my vote, by a tiny tiny margain. This oring issue could be user error, i have tried pushing it in many times. It was lose when my stempod arrived so i never got to see how it was meant to fit.

I hope the imp will be the best of both worlds. As if stempod and splinter had a baby.

I have only had the stem pod for about 1 month. Took the O-ring out immediately because it kept catching my basket and pulling it out of the stem/mouthpiece.

Recently, I put it back in because of the looseness without it. I found that you need to really massage the O-ring into the groove. A little VG or PG helped. Once it’s all the way into the groove, my baskets never catch, no matter what 18mm piece I’m using. Haven’t gone back to using it without!

On another note, I find it really hard to vaporize well without the coil glowing slightly with the stock Claptons. I’ve got 18 gauge SS wire on the way. I’ll update when I get the new build in.

Are there any pre-made coils to buy somewhere that will not glow?

I'm looking into buying this but I don't really want to use glowing coils.

Also has anyone used the quarts quest coils?

I would imagine any coil that is beefy/thick would suffice. I haven’t learned the names of the different builds of ecig coils so I can’t say exactly based on names alone, but look for coils made with lower gauge wire. I would say 24 gauge and under for the primary wire. A lot of trial and error unless you go with a proven build that folks have already mentioned on here. It’s pretty easy to build coils though, so I would recommend getting thick SS wire and wrapping your own. Small learning curve but I believe it is well worth knowing.

What happened to Coil Club? Maybe Dan is making some thick coils and are available through coil club. Might be worth checking out.

snamuh

ghost
I purchased the Stempod!

Anyone have recommendations for a coil jig set up? is it important to have one of those coil testers? or would buying the jig alone suffice? I'm trying not to spend more than 30 bucks.

I am going to try my 18mm enano gong as a travel stem!

also... i was thinking... i keep seeing people with flat molecule coils... I wondering if there could be benefit to making flat coils for the SP? Like the coils could be set up like:
\ / or / \
I wonder if this would do anything to change the airflow and the convection heating of the herb.

Will be fun to mess around with this.

Last edited:
snamuh,
Reactions: JCat

Hippie

I use lollipop sticks that I trim down for oval coils 4mm x 2mm , 5 x 2, 6 x 2 that I position over the air inlets. You can use drill bits or technical screwdrivers for round coils too so you don't really NEED any of this stuff.

That said, oooh $30 dollars to spend .... Ok :)
https://www.fasttech.com/products/3034/10013950/2373700-magic-stick-cw-6-in-1-wire-coiling-tool-kit

Handy extras
https://www.fasttech.com/p/9639178 - wire cutters
https://www.fasttech.com/products/1827800 - SS tweezers
https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10056523/9670384-aolvape-stainless-steel-ceramic-tweezers-for-e - ceramic tweezers

The XFKM kits with tweezers look ok (and might save you a little)
https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10052146/9648157-authentic-xfkm-diy-tool-kit-for-e-cigarettes-6
https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10052146/9648156-authentic-xfkm-diy-tool-kit-for-e-cigarettes-6

Code hello2019 gets you 10% off from there at the moment
So I'm adding :) .....
A heatsink
https://www.fasttech.com/p/4895606
My favourite Super Clapton wire
https://www.fasttech.com/p/6191905
A stand to build on
https://www.fasttech.com/search?Atomizer stand

And a box of mini peanut butter Magnums for the sticks :)

snamuh

ghost
I'm pretty new to coils.

I think I'm going to get this, and buy pliers and tweezers at the dollar store because I'm cheap.

I'd like to buy some wire. I was thinking 18, 20, and 22 SS or kanthal.

Anyone k ow a safe place to buy wire?

Are there any safety concerns I should look into?

Edit removed the initial review. I want to use it more.

Last edited:

snamuh

ghost
So I ordered 20 and 22 316ss.

Right now I have the quartz quest "coils" in. ATM I forget what wattage, but they've been working.

I got 24g with my coil kit but it looks too thin.

Do you think I could do 4 qq coils stacked? (Not 4 vertical but 4 horizontal 2 stacked on each side.)

Essientialy when working with coils I do not want to have to have high amps when in use? So my batteries are 30amp and 15amp continuous use so I do not want pass 15amps when in use. I am assuming that's the most important factor of safety.

With the qq coils, which are mainly what I've used. It seems that open airflow and normal to fast drawing seems best. It's odd because I'm used to slow draws.

I hope my 20 and 22 coils don't have much glow. Trying to be safe!

snamuh,

Hippie

A build like my quad vertical 24g 316L SS build (12 wrap 3mm ID), should fit in horizontally stacked.

Hippie,

nickb

SSV w/ Standard HC, LSV HC, thermovape all,
My o-ring came out a few times putting it back can take a few mn. mine broke like 2nd day, but i had bought an 18/14 mm male/male glass piece from the smoke shop it has a frosted glass connection it fits in snug so i dont need the oring and it still isv air tight connectionm and it stays in mostly. but tcoils take a couplehis has become my daily driver, i got a 3 battery wismec 200 i htink box mod from a friend and in wattage mode stock i was getting great vapor at between 45-60 watts huge clouds, but i tried TC mode i dont really know what i was doing it burnt out the coils, so i bought some fused calptons from the vapor store and now i have to vape at a much higher wattage like 60-75, with airflow barley opened, and i installed the coils first time doing this and its really easy, but i am getting hot spots now, still just takes a stir, also as the screen gets more resin on it the less airflow you will gets so i burn it off every couple to few days those screens get clogged easy, also these new take longer to heat up.. but i love this vape

Last edited:
nickb,

snamuh

ghost
Put a few stems through the new cooling stem and I'm in love!
0nWw4jkx_o.jpg
Can you use the stem without the oring? Does it stay in there alright without the o ring?

I made coils! 22g 11 wraps. Comes out to .25ish with both installed. Wattage mode at 33. Slow draws to build into faster draws. Pretty good! Would still like to reduce glowing.

I have 20g wire but when I build coils the amps exceed what's safe for my batteries?? I believe max continuous amps is 15amps for then and it is at 16.

snamuh,
Reactions: foggyent

latulipe999

@supershredderdan

I have completed an order friday the 11th of january on modpodslabs.com but i have forgoten the 18mm to 18mm water tool adapter and the cooler stem.

I've already emailed Daniel as soon as i did the mistake but i dont have any answer since friday.

How to add this accessory to my order without paying again the international shipping cost ?!

Please MP me if you need my order number.

thanks

Latulipe999

foggyent

Can you use the stem without the oring? Does it stay in there alright without the o ring?

I made coils! 22g 11 wraps. Comes out to .25ish with both installed. Wattage mode at 33. Slow draws to build into faster draws. Pretty good! Would still like to reduce glowing.

I have 20g wire but when I build coils the amps exceed what's safe for my batteries?? I believe max continuous amps is 15amps for then and it is at 16.

I have not had good experiences when I remove the the o-ring. My stems never seem to make a good seal and the vapor production drops, so I keep it in all the time. I have noticed that the rimmed screens chew up the o-ring. I was thinking of picking up some rimless basket screens to workaround the problem, but if anyone has other ideas I'm all ears.

I can't speak to what's safe for your batteries, but I do have some 20 gauge SS 316L wire coming in the mail, so I'm curious what you find out.

foggyent,
Reactions: Hogni

supershredderdan

Manufacturer
@supershredderdan

I have completed an order friday the 11th of january on modpodslabs.com but i have forgoten the 18mm to 18mm water tool adapter and the cooler stem.

I've already emailed Daniel as soon as i did the mistake but i dont have any answer since friday.

How to add this accessory to my order without paying again the international shipping cost ?!

Please MP me if you need my order number.

thanks

Latulipe999
use code Shiptogether

Top Bottom