Tweak

T\/\/34|<
I wonder why 7th floor hasn't added such a feature? Just leave the SSV on your favorite vaping temp and flip a switch on the unit to turn it off. No need to adjust back to your favorite temperature.

The element would then be subject to a total power on each time, which may wear on it's life expectancy..

I don't normally adjust my dial slowly, I just click on and then go straight to my preferred temp, so it doesn't stay at lower voltage for long. Would this be any different.

This gives me an idea for using a electric timer, just have the SSV kick on while I'm driving home from work, :D.

same way that turning on a light cost more $$ in electric juice than leaving it on longer does.

I believe that is urban folklore. My teacher told me that in grade school and I always thought it was true too. A bulb doesn't use more juice at start-up but it will shorten the bulbs life from the constant temperature fluctuation of the filament. (Source: Mythbusters)

DeltaNine

This gives me an idea for using a electric timer, just have the SSV kick on while I'm driving home from work, :D.

Haha I employ this technique to restart my router everyday since it is in my landlords part of the house, and it needs a restart or gets laggy after a couple days.

And for the lights on my reptile enclosures.. Maybe I should plug my SSV into the reptile timer, that's basically on all day. Seems preferable to leaving it on minimum all night.

DeltaNine,

Tweak

T\/\/34|<
Seems preferable to leaving it on minimum all night.

What is your concern? The amount of electricity used or the wear on the heating element?

I just wonder if it is advisable to switch the SSV on and off while its on full power.

Tweak,

DeltaNine

What is your concern? The amount of electricity used or the wear on the heating element?

I just wonder if it is advisable to switch the SSV on and off while its on full power.

Idk.. I dont leave anything on when I go to sleep usually. But now that I just checked, the red light indicating power goes out on minimum power.. and that would be a big issue on it's own if it didnt to be honest haha. I have blacked out all LEDs in my apartment that remain on at night time.

To be honest I previously had no idea that the switch was rated for X amount of switches, so from now on I will probably keep it at minimum power.

DeltaNine,
Reactions: Tweak

Tweak

T\/\/34|<
To be honest I previously had no idea that the switch was rated for X amount of switches, so from now on I will probably keep it at minimum power.

Did you know that most of them devices with LEDs are most likely drawing more power than your SSV on minimum?

You could probably safely put the SSV on minimum power on a surge protector and then power it on/off as needed so you never use the clicker. Or like you said, put it on a timer, that would make it fail safe compared to trying to remember while vaped, ;).

So you're enjoying the SSV oil rig? I've recently moved to the VXC and thought about converting my SSV, problem is I never get wand hash anymore so I don't have any concentrates. Guess I could make some ABV oil. I wanna try water cure on my ABV then do a QWISO.

SSVUN~YAH

You Must Unlearn, What You Have Learned...
Belkin makes a product that the cloud owners enjoy to turn on a warm up there vape so it's ready when they arrive from work. Sounds like some pampering I wish I could enjoy someday...

SSVUN~YAH,
Lol im so confused how does turning off a unit off and on damage it? that makes no sense. I cant leave the thing on thats not practical what if it burns my house down? i have roommates i cant leave this thing on 24/7 it needs to be somewhat discreet. does it say anything in the manual about this? id guess leaving it on would cause more harm than turning it off after use but i guess my guess was wrong. i dont like that at all, i dont feel safe having that thing on all the time and if your not using it whats the point of having it on? im just so lost lol vaporizers are confusing the crap outta of me, if you leave a PS3 on all day it damages the thing, you couldnt leave a oven on all day whats the point of this? if im not using it why have it on?

let alone the fact if you leave it on it will retain too much heat and combust im going to call SSV and see what they say about this. i know they have had a unit on for 7+ years but its like i cant leave the thing on 24/7 lol. would it be fine to leave it on for the mornings say 4-6 hours a day then turn it off then same thing next day (only time i can use it is the mornings/early afternoons). thanks for the tips guys. wouldn't leaving it on put damage to the heating element?

laugingsodreamy12,

Vitolo

Vaporist
Hey, for about 6 months of owning my SSV, I have always shut it off after use. How safe would you say it is to leave on all the time?
Sounds like you've clearly done it, what's the highest temp you would recommend for all day? How hot is min temp when you go to bed?
I turn it down to lowest spot without clicking it off at bedtime.
At 4:00 a.m., I turn it to about 1 on the dial (vape temp) and I leave it at full vape temp for 18 hours a day, and have for just over 3 years

About power surge...
If you do not believe the urban myth, simply go out and observe the power meter....
bring a lamp.. and click it on and off a couple of times, and there will be your evidence of the power jump....
10 times in ten seconds versus ten seconds straight running will in ten seconds register triple the power usage for the same ten seconds

Vitolo,

NeeChee

More meatloaf Ma!
I leave it on all day and night when im home. I just turn it off and put it away when im gone.I have already dropped the SSV with no damage so i know these things are tanks.Im just wondering if turning it on and off everyday may wear down the clicker overtime possibly needing replacing.And now it seems Florida is passing more laws banning selling any kind of smoking devices.So in the future i may not be able to get parts or replacement by mail.Maybe turning it down all the way before the click then unplugging might work better in the long run ill email 7th floor and ask.

NeeChee,

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd

JoDa Glassworks
Glass Blower
Where can I get the best deal on an SSV right now?I'm in the market for a new home vape and I really enjoyed my last SSV.

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd,

Tweak

T\/\/34|<
About power surge...
If you do not believe the urban myth, simply go out and observe the power meter....
bring a lamp.. and click it on and off a couple of times, and there will be your evidence of the power jump....

No need to look at my power meter, I have a P3 Kill A Watt meter that I can plug the lamp directly into.

Flipping on two 26W CFLs I see no spike in amps (.64) or watts (47) over the normal operating range, the same findings that mythbusters posted.

Energy used @ start-up
  • Incandescent: 0.36 seconds
  • CFL: 0.015 seconds
  • Halogen: .51 seconds
  • LED: 1.28 seconds
  • Fluorescent: 23.3 seconds
Your statement is only true for Fluorescents tubes, and that's only if you flip the lights on and off.

For those that are curious, at minimal temperature, right before the click, my SSV is using .5 Watts and 0.00 Amps. Voltage doesn't raise until around 10 O'clock on the dial, where it jumps to 4 Watts and .14 Amps. @ Noon, my voltage jumps to 40 Watts and then declines rapidly to just 18 Watts where it stays stable. @ Max temp, I'm still only registering 46 Watts.

SSVUN~YAH

Where can I get the best deal on an SSV right now?I'm in the market for a new home vape and I really enjoyed my last SSV.

My advice is check craigslist first, then ebay has em for around 189 usually and pipesdaddy.com has em for like 209 I believe.

SSVUN~YAH,

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd

JoDa Glassworks
Glass Blower
I've got 250ish to spend. There's one on the classifieds with everything I want but the member hasn't been on since the 9th. I'm also considering the lab and dabudda. They seem to be much alike minus some worked glass.

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd,

hoorah

In my opinion, saying to leave leave it on all day because a $5 switch might get ruined in a few years is nuts .... All that wasted heat energy and unnecessary electric, utter waste unless you smoke all day or during the day, in that case you need to get a job lol, unless your a MJ patient of course.

I vape every evening, put it away and hide it and it works fine for me, it's also really illegal here.

hoorah,

Tweak

T\/\/34|<
In my opinion, saying to leave leave it on all day because a $5 switch might get ruined in a few years is nuts .... All that wasted heat energy and unnecessary electric

It is more than a $5 switch. You would have to pay to ship it to 7th floor and then pay them to repair it. Then there is the whole waiting two to three weeks for it to be shipped back and forth.

As I stated in my post, at minimum power the SSV eats up .5 Watts. So if you left it on for 24/7 365 days @ $.10 kilowatts per hour, it would cost you 44 Cents to run the SSV on minimum for the entire year. Even if you left your SSV cranked on full power for non-stop 24/7/365, you're looking at ~$22 for an entire year.

DougWilson

Anyone know if I can get Silicone tubing at a place like Home Depot to use as a whip for my SSV? Btw, what size is the tubing?

DougWilson,

SSVUN~YAH

Pretty sure id look for high temp silicone tubing.... 1/2" od 3/8" id

SSVUN~YAH,

PhillyFanatic

You can get blemished units from SSV for around $180 I believe.

Just got my blemished unit in the mail today for $180- doing my 30 minute burn in as I type. How do you post pics on here? The wife is upset that you have to use 2 hands but she will get over it she is just used to the simplicity of the NO2 and using bongs. I sure hope she rips because I am all for the medical benefits of vaporizing over combusting but my NO2 just doesnt get the job done for a heavy smoker such as myself. Really happy to have the SSV now I hope it delivers the punch I need, btw I read the entire thread start to finish.

How do you post pics?

Tweek

Just got my blemished unit in the mail today for $180- doing my 30 minute burn in as I type. How do you post pics on here? The wife is upset that you have to use 2 hands but she will get over it she is just used to the simplicity of the NO2 and using bongs. I sure hope she rips because I am all for the medical benefits of vaporizing over combusting but my NO2 just doesnt get the job done for a heavy smoker such as myself. Really happy to have the SSV now I hope it delivers the punch I need, btw I read the entire thread start to finish.

How do you post pics?

You have to use a service like Imgur to host the pic. Then you copy the link and paste it into the pop up box you get from clicking the photo icon in the toolbox at the bottom of your screen.

It is a great device, I am sure you and your wife will love it!

Tweek,

PhillyFanatic

Very impressed this is everything I was looking for . . . . and the wife stopped whining after 1 hit she loved it. I am really impressed by the flavor and the potency delivered by the SSV the herb was exceptional. It packed a punch as big as my Zob big boy bong, I wasnt expecting that type of power. I used my favorite space case grinder with some top shelf Sour Diesel set the knob after burn in to about 3 pm and the rest is history.

Thanks Vitolo and everyone else passing on info . . . Your time is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Vitolo

Vaporist
In my opinion, saying to leave leave it on all day because a $5 switch might get ruined in a few years is nuts .... All that wasted heat energy and unnecessary electric, utter waste unless you smoke all day or during the day, in that case you need to get a job lol, unless your a MJ patient of course.
Besides the fact that I am legal.. a patient and use the vape hourly throughout the day..
That 5 dollar switch when broken, will leave a patient .. or a run of the mill every day "pothead" without his/her tool for 24 hours to a week.
Saving that $5 part assures us in one extra way that our vape will be at the ready.... and not in the shop~

Vitolo

Vaporist
Top Bottom