Costanza

Hah no, no, no. I wouldn't blaspheme against my beauty. I wanted to be sober for the first time I tried my SSV is all. Start at baseline to get a good bearing on the SSV's capabilities and all that.
So I restrained from hitting the ;pd;. Until now, that is :D.

Costanza,

NoSmoke

costanza bad news bro it look like your knob broke during shipping. the knob comes on and off but that one broke on the male part. I would call 7th floor that sucks. you might be able to use a drillbit as a knob until you ship it back.

NoSmoke,

Costanza

NoSmoke, thanks for your answer. Until then, which part should I be trying to turn? The threaded piece coming out of the nut or the nut itself?

Costanza,

max

Out to lunch
Sounds like they're still having problems getting good help. Can't pack a vape so the knob doesn't get broken off? :hmm:

max,

Zoolader

WOW my SSV just came in the mail, I ordered it last sunday.... and is it SEXY!!! I can't believe I burned all my herb this morning for some weird reason, now I have to make a few calls and run back out. Can somebody give me beginners tips? I think I read i'm suppose to let it run for about an hour for the first time before using

Zoolader,

Longburn

I got mine earlier this week and just left turned it on for 20 minutes before using it. Very impressive how quickly it heats up. As far using it goes, I have found that with breathing in slowly I can get the hit just right, if you hoover up the air too fast it wont fully heat as it passes the element so it is better to have your temperature knob somewhere around the 1 - 2 o'clock position and just breath in slowly to find the right pace to get the air to go thru the herb at the right vaping temperature, too slow will cook it, and then either move the wand or give the bowl a stir or two to make sure all the stuff gets vaped.

Longburn,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Zoolader said:
I can't believe I burned all my herb this morning for some weird reason... Can somebody give me beginners tips? I think I read i'm suppose to let it run for about an hour for the first time before using
Sounds like you had it turned up too hot. The instruction manual recommends running it at max power for 10 minutes before the initial usage to burn off any manufacturing oils. There are some usage instructions in there as well.

The knob position on the Surfers can vary from unit to unit, but typically 12 o clock is a good starting point and it seems like most users settle around 1-2 o clock. Again this can vary from unit to unit and by personal preference. Slow and steady draws are what you should be using as a beginner.

vtac,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
Make sure you don't pack the living hell out of the bowl. make sure the finely ground material is dumped into the bowl and lightly pressed with your finger or the glass stir rods' round glass head. it just needs enough 'pack' to retain heat better. it still might feel loose but that little amount of pressure you added to the top of the bowl load really goes a long way to achieving those FAT clouds
:2c:

:peace:

Hennessy1414,

Zoolader

vtac said:
Zoolader said:
I can't believe I burned all my herb this morning for some weird reason... Can somebody give me beginners tips? I think I read i'm suppose to let it run for about an hour for the first time before using
Sounds like you had it turned up too hot. The instruction manual recommends running it at max power for 10 minutes before the initial usage to burn off any manufacturing oils. There are some usage instructions in there as well.
Haha no no no, i meant i smoked all my stuff before work, and the package was waiting at my house after.

Zoolader,

Zoolader

Hennessy1414 said:
Make sure you don't pack the living hell out of the bowl. make sure the finely ground material is dumped into the bowl and lightly pressed with your finger or the glass stir rods' round glass head. it just needs enough 'pack' to retain heat better. it still might feel loose but that little amount of pressure you added to the top of the bowl load really goes a long way to achieving those FAT clouds
:2c:

:peace:
Thanks for the tip, I was stirring and packed it with the glass head once or twice I think.... and thinking back I got about 3 cloud hits. I was wondering how it was happening, so now I know.

But another question....looking inside the heat cover I can see the white heat stick. Is that thing suppose to be dead center and straight up? Because mine is slanted to the right.

Zoolader,

max

Out to lunch
looking inside the heat cover I can see the white heat stick. Is that thing suppose to be dead center and straight up? Because mine is slanted to the right.
You could remove the heater cover and straighten the heating element, but unless it's touching the glass cover it's probably not worth messing with.

max,

Zoolader

I'm getting really frustrated with this device. I don't know what else to possibly do except try to sell it and get some money back. I've tried packing the bowl 1/3... all the way up to 1/2. I turned the herb several times, even pressed lightly with the back of the glass head of the pick. I started the temp low at 1 and worked myself up. I broke the herb up pretty nicely with my fingers and then with some scissors..... deep short inhales, slow long inhales.....deep long inhales. All without much success, and very little vape clouds even under perfect lighting condition.

This thing only seems to start working once the temp knob is practically at 3 o'clock, which is what im trying right now. The only thing I think I can be doing wrong is not having a grinder to have it perfectly chopped. Is it possible after watching and reading 1,000 times that 1-2 o'clock is the right temp, that my SSV could be different? Perhaps defective? If anybody can take a close up picture of how brown the herb is after it is finished?

As I'm typing this, I have been using the SSV at a higher temp than my first trials. I have it just about 3 o'clock, I have to say this is the first time I have even gotten high from it. Actually this is the high i was looking for. I'm sure you can understand my past frustrations. I guess posting this isn't necessary, but I will just because.

Zoolader,

Skunkypete

Escape Artist
Zoolader said:
This thing only seems to start working once the temp knob is practically at 3 o'clock, which is what im trying right now. The only thing I think I can be doing wrong is not having a grinder to have it perfectly chopped. Is it possible after watching and reading 1,000 times that 1-2 o'clock is the right temp, that my SSV could be different? Perhaps defective? If anybody can take a close up picture of how brown the herb is after it is finished?
It is certainly quite possible. All SSVs vary a little a bit. It can be as stupid as them assembling your temp knob and clamping it in a different position then normal. Heck mine was loose when i got it. Bottom line, with the SSV go with the end result more then where you set your dial. Find the spot that produces the vapor and avb color you prefer and you're set. There is no "right" dial position.

Skunkypete,
Reactions: chililvr

max

Out to lunch
Skunkypete's got it right. My unit is off at the 7 o'clock. When it clicks on, it's at 9. I use it at around 11-1. But I could take the knob off and put it back on so that it turns on at 12 o'clock. You should find the vapor range on your unit by going from low (little or no visible vapor, but some effect) to high (harsh vapor and your remains are black). Use it somewhere in this range-your preference.

max,

xyu

Zoolader said:
I'm getting really frustrated with this device. I don't know what else to possibly do except try to sell it and get some money back. I've tried packing the bowl 1/3... all the way up to 1/2. I turned the herb several times, even pressed lightly with the back of the glass head of the pick. I started the temp low at 1 and worked myself up. I broke the herb up pretty nicely with my fingers and then with some scissors..... deep short inhales, slow long inhales.....deep long inhales. All without much success, and very little vape clouds even under perfect lighting condition.

As I'm typing this, I have been using the SSV at a higher temp than my first trials. I have it just about 3 o'clock, I have to say this is the first time I have even gotten high from it. Actually this is the high i was looking for. I'm sure you can understand my past frustrations. I guess posting this isn't necessary, but I will just because.
How new is the herb, and how good is it? I've found that herb that hasn't been cured for at least a week doesn't do well in the Surfer unless you turn the heat up to about 3 to 4. After a few hits at this temp it will start to dry out, and you can then lower the temp.

I've also found that if it's not quality bud, then it makes for a rough surf session and I just give up and combust it.

xyu,

smoking Joe

XYU,

I turn my SS on high for two minute to warm up, Then I turn it to three O clock and works fine. I get great hits and no combustion! I guess each ss is different but once you fine the right setting it works great!!!!!! I had two other vapes and were junk compare to the Silver Surfer!

smoking Joe,

xyu

smoking Joe said:
XYU,

I turn my SS on high for two minute to warm up, Then I turn it to three O clock and works fine. I get great hits and no combustion! I guess each ss is different but once you fine the right setting it works great!!!!!! I had two other vapes and were junk compare to the Silver Surfer!
good call. I always let mine warm up for a few minutes as well on high, then bring the temp down. Your right other units I've used had to be set at 3 oclock as well.

xyu,

Longburn

Anyone know what's with the message on the 7th Floor website, seems a sudden thing and a lengthy one too?

"WE are on temporary backorder until 4-9-09 We can ship on 4-9-09. Sorry for any inconvenience"

Actually, I read that date to mean 4th September, but hopefully it means 9th April. After seeing mine in action, friends ordered a SSV last week so they'd be a bit gutted if delivery is not for another 6 months! April is just around the corner and not too bad for such an effective item!

Longburn,

max

Out to lunch
4-9-09 in the US means April 9th. In Europe (maybe elsewhere too) they put the day first, so it would be Sept. 4th. They are definitely saying April 9th.

max,

georgesbataille

so do you guys recommend buying a ssv directly from them? i was thinking of getting a rainbow ssv from tokinglx... it looks like he actually has the ssv, at least the colored ssvs a little cheaper than getting them straight from 7th floor?

georgesbataille,

max

Out to lunch
The advantage to buying from 7th Floor vs. eBay or a vape dealer is more options on housing and base color, and the glass, and you can get extras-screens, tubing, storage bag, whatever included with no extra shipping cost. 'Tokin's Vapes' has more accessories and glass options than other dealers that carry the SSV, so he's a good option. If you like the Rainbow, it does look like his is $20 cheaper.

max,

tokinGLX

i have one rainbow unit with a blue base in stock right now.
as for any other color combo, i can drive down to the factory to it pick up so if the blue base doesnt fit your style dont hesitate to let me know.
also, through my site, for another couple months i offer a flat fee shipping rate of $2.50

tokinGLX,
Top Bottom