Fresh_Baked

I asked a question about grind consistency earlier, but it didn't get answered, so I'm gonna try again. Heh.

I find that my SSV doesn't really work (on the temp I like) if I just break apart a nug as if I was packing a bong bowl. I always grind it first. However, I think there is such a thing as 'too fine' with the SSV.

Maybe some will disagree, but, it seems to me that the herb burns much faster when ground up very finely and I go through herb much quicker. Also, if the pieces are too tiny, a few sometimes get through my screen.

I guess my question is how fine I should be grinding.

NeeChee

More meatloaf Ma!
I don't know if there is a correct answer i don't think you can grind to fine.I find most flowers don't vape the same. I can use the same amount with one and get 5-10hits and only 1 or 2 good rips with same amount from another.I have the mendo and it makes a very fine fluffy grind and i love it.I have seen videos of guys shoving whole nugs in there but how do you evenly vape the center.IMO the finer the grind and the more you stir between hits the better.

SSVUN~YAH

You Must Unlearn, What You Have Learned...
Try double screening, I use kief frequently with mine with and without flowers and don't double screen even with more pliable crappy eBay screens. But I have vaped bigger grinds then crumbled when dry after a few rips, with good success...

Meremoth

AKA ♫ Stinky Wizzleteats ♫
dsc4989g.jpg

With this setup, I am no longer lusting for the Cloud, :D

I swear with this extra screen I am getting some more conduction than usual, giving me huge clouds.

What kind of screen is that and where can I get it?

I'm thinking about getting the Vapor Brothers Standard Mini-Thin Vaporizer Whip for my SSV. Only thing is, I have a spherical GG HC - would they work together or would I need to get the standard HC? Also, is there any mods you have to do to the VB mini wand to make it work with the standard HC?

Also, has anyone tried the "New-Style Ground Glass" wands from 7th Floor? If so, how does it compare to all the others?

Description from SSV site:

"These new wands feature a smaller screen size, and a larger, defined beveled ring at the neck"

Meremoth,

Tweek

What kind of screen is that and where can I get it?

I'm thinking about getting the Vapor Brothers Standard Mini-Thin Vaporizer Whip for my SSV. Only thing is, I have a spherical GG HC - would they work together or would I need to get the standard HC? Also, is there any mods you have to do to the VB mini wand to make it work with the standard HC?

Also, has anyone tried the "New-Style Ground Glass" wands from 7th Floor? If so, how does it compare to all the others?

Description from SSV site:

"These new wands feature a smaller screen size, and a larger, defined beveled ring at the neck"

I use the mini whip with the spherical GG and it works fine.

Tweek,

Meremoth

I use the mini whip with the spherical GG and it works fine.

Sweet. Nothing special you have to do to it?

BTW, I just tried something new. I just installed a second screen on my spherical ground glass wand and it's working pretty good. I didn't turn this screen sideways when I installed it. I inserted it horizontally and just pushed down on it until it was snug all the way around. It's at about the same position as Tweak's screen on the pic above, except it's just a regular screen that came with my SSV and not a thimble or whatever the hell kind of screen Tweak has, haha.

Have you ever tried this? If you still have your SGG wand, if you get some time later or something, could you try this and tell me how it compares to the VB mini whip? You'd be doing me a huge favor and I would love you long time. :D

Meremoth,

Tweak

T\/\/34|<

May I ask where it says that. EDIT: Never mind, I found it. I believe they made that change awhile ago.

I did find this beast though.
ctc_0664-edit-2.jpg

WOW!!!! 29mm ground glass.

$40 for the wand. $45 for the HC.

Tweak,

Vitolo

Vaporist
To reduce wand size for the SSV wand, try inserting one, two, or three depending on your choice...of their ceramic discs and just use the herb on top of it:
CERAMIC DISCS
I also have had wonderful success with NO2 screens..(as they come.. or worked to another shape) As you will see the screen has a "flange" built in to make it fit any circumference.

Vitolo,

Tweek

Sweet. Nothing special you have to do to it?

BTW, I just tried something new. I just installed a second screen on my spherical ground glass wand and it's working pretty good. I didn't turn this screen sideways when I installed it. I inserted it horizontally and just pushed down on it until it was snug all the way around. It's at about the same position as Tweak's screen on the pic above, except it's just a regular screen that came with my SSV and not a thimble or whatever the hell kind of screen Tweak has, haha.

Have you ever tried this? If you still have your SGG wand, if you get some time later or something, could you try this and tell me how it compares to the VB mini whip? You'd be doing me a huge favor and I would love you long time. :D

No, nothing I am aware of. I just hold mine up to the heat exchanger like normal. You just have to be careful, as the herb is closer to the heat now and can burn easily if you do not make adjustments. Somewhere in the thread, I made a suggestion for using hat screens. Works alright and is similar to what you guys are doing.

Tweek,

Meremoth

So far putting a second screen at the business-end of the wand, similar to how Tweak has his, is awesome.

Before I was having problems with bud/kief getting underneath the screen and then sucked through, and bud/kief not getting completely vaped even with vigorous stirring. This seems to have solved both of those problems.

I highly recommend this.

Meremoth,
Reactions: Tweak

Tweak

T\/\/34|<
I highly recommend this.

Now you see why I've been so vocal about it. :D

I also had the issue tweek mentions, if I packed a full wand the first few draws would scorch my flowers, as my temp was set too high for being that close to the heater. But after one or two draws, the flowers would lose some mass and shrink down into wand, where I would have to readjust my temp again. A real PITA.

Now I just keep my temp stable and adjust the screen distance from the HC.

Before I was having problems with bud/kief getting underneath the screen and then sucked through, and bud/kief not getting completely vaped even with vigorous stirring. This seems to have solved both of those problems.

Same here. My lower chamber of my wand would cake with bits of flowers, I'd still have green flowers stuck around the screen that never seamed to vape, and I had to constantly clean my screen from being clogged. Then the removal and insertion of the screen would slowly damage them, so I had to buy more. Not anymore, been running on the same screen for three months now, :clap:.

Tweak,

Meremoth

Tweaking my SSV thanks to Tweak and Tweek! :dog:

Ok, so Tweak, you gotta tell me where you got that screen. I need one more like that, or maybe I should try a ceramic dish or NO2 screen like Vito suggested, or perhaps just get a VB mini wand like Tweek has.

I mean mine is working fine now with two screens, but I have to be real careful about how hard I scrape it with a pick, else I'm in danger of flipping it sideways.

Does the VB mini wand have any problems with flowers/kief getting sucked through?

When did the New-Style Ground Glass wands come out? I'm wondering if the screens fit better inside them then they do inside the SGG. There's too much room between the edge of the screens and the walls in the SGG (at least on mine), so it the screen slides around and finely ground flowers tend to get underneath it then sucked through. Seeing how the New-Style Ground Glass is smaller then the Old-Style Ground Glass, standard whip, and SGG, with a "larger, defined beveled ring at the neck", I was wondering if the screens fit more snug.

I'm surprised 7th Floor doesn't have a mini wand.

Meremoth,

Vitolo

Vaporist
I keep the mini wand off to the side, for when I want to get a fresh small taste of a sample bud!
DSC00461.jpg

other than that, I prefer not to shorten my wand..
I even go so far to have a large chamber that I order my
standard wands EXTRA long~
Photoon2012-09-23at15073_zps3437b41f.jpg

Vitolo,

Meremoth

I keep the mini wand off to the side, for when I want to get a fresh small taste of a sample bud!
DSC00461.jpg

I even go so far to have a large chamber that I order my
standard wands EXTRA long~
Photoon2012-09-23at15073_zps3437b41f.jpg

Is there a reason you prefer a large chamber other than just for the fact you can put more in it?

You seem very experienced with the SSV. Can you elaborate on the difference between the Old-Style GG and the New-Style?

My biggest problem was that the screens never fit into my SGG wand snug and I would suck finely ground flowers through, plus finely ground flowers on the edges of the beveled ring weren't getting vaped. With this second screen, those problems are gone.

It isn't that I necessarily want a shorter wand, I just have to make it shorter to solve my problems. If these problems are isolated to the SGG wand (which I don't think it is seeing how Tweak had the same problem on his standard), then I would gladly just switch to a different wand.

Have you not had similar problems? If so, what did you do to solve them?

Fresh_Baked

Is there a reason you prefer a large chamber other than just for the fact you can put more in it?

You seem very experienced with the SSV. Can you elaborate on the difference between the Old-Style GG and the New-Style?

My biggest problem was that the screens never fit into my SGG wand snug and I would suck finely ground flowers through, plus finely ground flowers on the edges of the beveled ring weren't getting vaped. With this second screen, those problems are gone.

It isn't that I necessarily want a shorter wand, I just have to make it shorter to solve my problems. If these problems are isolated to the SGG wand (which I don't think it is seeing how Tweak had the same problem on his standard), then I would gladly just switch to a different wand.

Grr.

I am having the same problems as you were having ( the screens never fit into my SGG wand snug and I would suck finely ground flowers through, plus finely ground flowers on the edges of the beveled ring weren't getting vaped) but I couldn't get the second screen to stay in my SGG wand. How are you putting it in? I must be missing something. I can get it to stay but it also flies out of my wand when I blow my AVB out.

But yeah, my screen does not fit snugly in my wand at all.

Fresh_Baked,

barrydanger

Why dont you guys having trouble with screens fitting just by 20mm screens and cut it down to fit? All the wands are slightly different diameters anyway ,my friends fits snugly , rather too much on the tight side and a couple of mine rattle so i just bought some 20 mm screens and cut with scissors to fit each one .

barrydanger,

Meremoth

Grr.

I am having the same problems as you were having ( the screens never fit into my SGG wand snug and I would suck finely ground flowers through, plus finely ground flowers on the edges of the beveled ring weren't getting vaped) but I couldn't get the second screen to stay in my SGG wand. How are you putting it in? I must be missing something. I can get it to stay but it also flies out of my wand when I blow my AVB out.

I'm using the stainless steel ones that came with my SSV.

I dome it with my thumb and the ball on my pick, and then I just insert it horizontally (dome pointing up), not vertically, and just press down on it with my index finger, slowly and carefully, making sure it stays perfectly horizontal and that all edges of the screen are going down at the same rate, and I just stop about an inch down. It's very snug, doesn't move, I can even tap on it with the pick (albeit gently), but you have to be very careful when scraping it with the pick, because if you press down too hard on one side it will flip. BTW, when I dome it, I make sure the outside of the screen is still a perfect circle, to make sure it makes a good seal against the wall of your wand.

Now this is how I expected the SSV to work, the way it's working now. A second screen at the end is the way to go, however these regular screens aren't ideal, because of the flipping issue. A screen more like what Tweak has would probably be better.

Edit: You probably have .625 mm screens. Maybe try not doming it as it would be bigger without it being domed. I personally think I'm going to buy some bigger screens.

Edit #2: Actually, you have to dome it, it seems. I couldn't get a flat screen in the same way. These screens aren't ideal, though. It's way too easy to flip it.

I think I need to get a screen more like Tweak's.

Why dont you guys having trouble with screens fitting just by 20mm screens and cut it down to fit? All the wands are slightly different diameters anyway ,my friends fits snugly , rather too much on the tight side and a couple of mine rattle so i just bought some 20 mm screens and cut with scissors to fit each one .
That might solve my problem of sucking flowers through, but there's still a problem of flowers not getting vaped on the beveled ring. You could just say stir more, but stirring was starting to get really irritating.
Having a screen at the end of the wand allows all the flowers to be vaped without anything blocking air flow (i.e. beveled ring). Instead of resting on something, it's "floating", giving optimal air flow. This allows flowers that are pressed up against the wall of your wand to get vaped as well. You don't have to stir nearly as much this way.

Now I just need to figure out what kind of screen Tweak has and where he got it.

Meremoth,

Tweak

T\/\/34|<
Ok, so Tweak, you gotta tell me where you got that screen.

EQ elbow screen with metal ring removed. I'm guessing the VXH Cloud screen would work too, but they are harder to find.

Neither did mine. I sent an email to 7th floor and they told me that since I bought it from Vapeworld that they couldn't do anything about it.

I've since moved up to 3/4" size screen. The standard screens are .625" (vs .750 or 3/4", or the next size up). They even fit in my other wands, though with a much bigger dome.

If these problems are isolated to the SGG wand (which I don't think it is seeing how Tweak had the same problem on his standard), then I would gladly just switch to a different wand.

In my experience, no they are not limited to the wand. I own all three, and they all allow some bits of flowers through. The GG wand was the best at keeping them out though.

Look how clean my wand is with dual screens and how much resin is lost in the screen, this is where it builds up and I used to just dump it out with the rest of my ABV:
dsc5197x.jpg

There is some dust that still gets through. But I'd say that at least an 90% reduction in debris.

It does work with the SGG wand, but is much harder to shove in and stay there, but I have no resin in mine so that might make a big difference. You also see the 3/4" screen in this wand, though a .625 fits fine I just wanted to show the difference.
dsc3411rw.jpg

With the screen shoved all the way down, the difference is negligible IMO.
dsc5830x.jpg

Fresh_Baked

About a week ago I took my A/C off of my vape bong because I was afraid it was causing more bad than good, or rather, I was just paranoid about an extra arm hanging off of my glass to break.

After a week of use, I can't take it. I need to switch back. After just a single night of use, my water was turning brown just vaping from the SSV with it.

I don't even know what my deal is with this a/c anyway. It makes the hits smoother and cools them down, and keeps my hard to clean bong clean.

EDIT: I've changed my mind again, I don't think I should be using the A/C. It adds too much drag.

yrhfgbv

Fresh_Baked,

Tweak

T\/\/34|<
Was bored tonight so I took some new snapshots of the benefits of using dual screens.

This is from a couple weeks of use, I'm a chronic cleaner:
dsc5835d.jpg

Notice that most of the dirty looking resin stays at the top of the wand. After warming the wand up the clear resin gets even more translucent.

dsc5833.jpg

These are higher res than pervious images. Click to show detail, ;)

Edit: Also, the first image you can see the screen. This is my wand that requires a .750" screen, as you can see it does not dome half as much like it does in the SGG I posted earlier.

Tweak,

Breathemetal

Just opened my SG wand and hc, testing begins now!
Already prefer the simple look of it compared to the SGG.

Okay ,first hit down..and I already prefer the way it hits compared to the SGG

I may order a new SGG HC eventually as I would like to own all 3 types...but who knows.
For now SG is the way to go!

Breathemetal,

Vitolo

Vaporist

I use the larger wand because it holds more, and since I use standard... I can slowly aim the heat around my load...
I have huge lungs.
My hits last a long time, and I find with the extra sized wand, I can get thicker and tastier and deeper, longer hits... without ever having flavor go flat... as I am subtly moving the pinpoint from my standard HC around the load.
The new style GG is just a larger bore, and it was always available, by request...
and now is listed.
The domed screen in a standard Hand Held wand does not allow much debris through....
as to these other wands.. I have them all.. they work OK for me, but I can not get the same results as I do with standard.
About particles getting through...
They do not bother me, and never did...
try taking a cutting (about an inch square) from a discarded pair of nylons (gals stockings)...
put it over the small end of the mouthpiece before sliding the mouthpiece into your tube.
It is easily removed and cleaned, and there will be no debris in your mouth~

Top Bottom