Sativa lovers

CANtalk

CSC-0553.jpg

Nikon d40 camera by a window in indirect sunlight on a sunny day.
A dark background also seems to make the flower pop.
Same strain? Different strain?

Awesome and a totally worth-it camera and setup @arb :tup:. Macro lens? A tip-of-the-hat to a fellow digital camera enthusiast 🎆 🌠.

I dove into cameras and lighting in real time because of my recent posts/pictures here, starting with that old Trainwreck batch picture I put up again. It's dynamic, excellent and had lots of likes. It was also visually quite different from my new Trainwreck batch pictures. I tracked it down to significantly different cameras; I used an m4/3 mirrorless interchangeable lens digital camera setup to take those early pictures.... and a quality 20mm F1.9 flat pancake lens (plus a superior superior flash). It all adds up and I find it's a great setup. However and alas, the m4/3 body is far too old now, at only 5 MP resolution :myday:... and I've now long since moved on with my 18 MP cellphone camera. It's very convenient as well, which has much appeal ;).

I've really appreciated the likes from everyone for the cell phone pictures I've put up :cheers:. It's one of the best cell phone cameras out there fwiw, which helps... but a definite step down from a quality digital camera setup like yourself @arb . I love your attention to detail on the black background 💥. I use white simply because it's very easy to setup and do in my home :razz: (and it's the other obvious high contrast color choice to choose for a great picture).

I definitely look forward to updating to a current generation m4/3 body, which are now in the ~20 MP range... as well as getting the superior dynamic response and amazing high ISO low light photo quality more modern equipment brings. I see those benefits in your pictures and it's totally worth it 👍.

Whenever I see your pictures I re-evaluate my budget. Thx and keep sharing pictures.

:peace: :leaf:

Last edited:

Kins

Had a few hits from the FP with weedeater head at 670. It's a strain called Shire 2.0, recommended by the budtender. I have to say it's pretty dank strong. Just 3 bong hits and I'm blasted. It's the closest experience to combustion bong hits as I've experienced.

Kins,

CANtalk

Nice @Kins. Sorry, I'm not very familiar with FP settings. I've found near combustion vaping fans love full extraction high temp hits. And I've known this vaping style on FC as one-hitter settings/use :cool:. I accidently did it a few times :whoa:, dry vaping as well... and know how impressive it can be for one-hitter fans👍. I have another premium convection high power desktop vape and the one-hitter fan club in it is smaller, but very enthusiastic. Do you bong vape the FP dry or with water?

I'm a big low temp sativa vape enthusiast. Way stronger sativa effects in my experience (vaping dry too). A recent FC new first vape friend has reported the same experience to me. Still, everyone is different. I'm a total vape convert here and avowed temp stepper :love:.

TGIF everyone and I'm haf tonight :science::science:, so cheers but sorry for any grammar/spelling issues :tup:. As I posted earlier in the "What's in your vape right now?" thread, a decent quality batch of Super Lemon Haze is killing it again. Highly recommended 4 sure.

Here's a picture of the Super Lemon Haze batch again.
mgyncjdg0iz51.jpg

My friend never came through on the sativa batches I posted earlier and I saw a similar opportunity, so I took matters into my own hands ✌️. I've ordered some Quantum Kush strong sativa from the same seller as before, and I jumped on some new Vortex strong sativa as well. The history, genetics and reviews for both strains are top notch.

I AM getting these 🙂. Anyone have any experience with strong sativa strains, or any of their parents?

Vortex

Quantum Kush

I now have Viper in the vape at the moment, again. Well... I did say I was haf :freak:. Wow good too (another highly recommended & worth-finding NA strong sativa).
The sativa renaissance is in full embrace here... do it :goat:.

Have an excellent Friday night.

Last edited:
CANtalk,

CANtalk

I really like vaping this new batch of sativa dominant Trainwreck. Very potent and dense terpy vapor, even at low temps (320 F). Count me consistently highly impressed. Here's the picture of the batch again.
elccz4zjrzc61.jpg

My experience with Trainwreck has me excited to try that Quantum Kush coming in. It's a newer Trainwreck Cross strong sativa.

Have a great weekend.

CANtalk,

Aquanaught

Wondering if the sativa experts here have any recommendations for "beginner" sativas. I.e. strains that tend to not be too overpowering, for those of us who want to ease into the more stimulating effects (or at least less sedating effects) but who can be prone to anxiety.

Aquanaught,
Reactions: CANtalk

GoldenBud

Wondering if the sativa experts here have any recommendations for "beginner" sativas. I.e. strains that tend to not be too overpowering, for those of us who want to ease into the more stimulating effects (or at least less sedating effects) but who can be prone to anxiety.
C99 / Ghost Train Haze (epicccc) / Blue Dream / Watermelon Zkittels

GoldenBud,

CANtalk

Have you tried many balanced hybrids? They may be a good start for sativa effects. A sativa leaning strain is the next step up the sativa ladder, followed by strong sativas and then sativa dominant options. A number of websites give strain info and effects, they can be helpful in discussing effects, including anxiety (I've seen some with wrong info too so it helps to read multiple sites). See how your experiences compare to descriptions and evaluate and sample from there.

Sativa leaning strains (which are often considered to be in the 60/40 sativa/indica range) are worth considering. Blue Dream and Golden Goat are options I've enjoyed. Dragon Breath is a balanced hybrid (50/50) strain example known for its sativa effects.

I find sativa effects to be tied more to cannabis use frequency/amount than strain. More specifically, sativa effects become more pronounced after a cannabis break, whether it's the first try after a long break... or a week, a few days, or the first try the next morning. To put it another way, in daily cannabis use I don't find sativa effects to be 'very' powerful, nor when I vape it on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th (or more) bowl. So consider your usage patterns and see how it affects your experiences.

On a separate but related note, have you done much temp stepping? Many cannabis vapers find low temp vaping to be quite a bit more stimulating and cerebral than high temp vaping and smoking (the low molecular weight terpenes and cannabinoids vaporize first, with stimulating effects in low temp vaping). People often low temp vape and temp step, to begin with stimulating effects... followed with more significant relaxation effects at higher temps. And many people even find indica strains to be stimulating when low temp vaping. As such, low temp vaping is something else for you to consider.

Cannabis is a whole wide world of experiences and effects. Try different things, take notes and see how it all goes with you. Hope this helps and good luck.

Last edited:

GoldenBud

the effects from Sativa come from the terpenes, right?
so if some strain has a strong smell of Lemon (Limeonene / Linalool) it means it'll be more uplifty ?
I know that Myrcene terpene is considered Indica, and Linalool/Limeonene as sativa.

i think many terpenes are the "betweeners" ?

@Aquanaught you meant weed to consume or grow? i think if you smell too lemonish smell from a bud, it's a strong sativa. IF IT'S ALSO covered by alot of trichomes (cannabinoids / terpenes)

GoldenBud,

CANtalk

so if some strain has a strong smell of Lemon (Limeonene / Linalool) it means it'll be more uplifty ?
I know that Myrcene terpene is considered Indica, and Linalool/Limeonene as sativa.

Terpenes contribute to the cannabis experience and there's been some interesting research and info reported on them (including effects and identifying terpenes in strains).

Overall, there are lots of cannabinoids in the cannabis plant, but not a lot of research. Many haven't been studied at all. As such, it's difficult to judge contributions when we only have part of the overall picture.

That's my :2c: fwiw.

Last edited:
CANtalk,

Kins

@Aquanaught you meant weed to consume or grow? i think if you smell too lemonish smell from a bud, it's a strong sativa. IF IT'S ALSO covered by alot of trichomes (cannabinoids / terpenes)

Sativa and Indica are just the type of plants. The type of effects from the plant are from the terps, the thc is the "engine" and the terps are the types of effects. The way to pick out a strain you like is to find the corresponding terps to the feeling of effects you are after.

GoldenBud

Sativa and Indica are just the type of plants. The type of effects from the plant are from the terps, the thc is the "engine" and the terps are the types of effects. The way to pick out a strain you like is to find the corresponding terps to the feeling of effects you are after.

i know that for sure, but isn't the thread here about effects?
in a world where most strains are based on Skunk, how can you define the sativa i mean?
it's all depends in the phenotype too yea
the grower may took 50 seeds and picked the most "Sativa" which he think it is....

GoldenBud,

daoist

Absolute beginner Sativas: Jack Herer, Silver haze, Lemon haze. these are your "functional" hazes.

Medium strength Sativas: Super Silver haze, Super Lemon Haze, Pineapple haze
These all have a focus high and a body stone. Super silver haze is like the og kush of the hazes.

That anxiety people talk about is only setting in after you get that overwhelming feeling of i think i took to much.
Normally Sativas should fix anxiety etc, so just don't take to much and you will be fine.

GoldenBud

Absolute beginner Sativas: Jack Herer, Silver haze, Lemon haze. these are your "functional" hazes.

Medium strength Sativas: Super Silver haze, Super Lemon Haze, Pineapple haze
These all have a focus high and a body stone. Super silver haze is like the og kush of the hazes.

That anxiety people talk about is only setting in after you get that overwhelming feeling of i think i took to much.
Normally Sativas should fix anxiety etc, so just don't take to much and you will be fine.
which Sativas are too strong for beginners in your opinion? like Sour Diesel? strong head? too strong maybe?

GoldenBud,

daoist

Well that depends on what you are looking for. I like sativas for the cerebral effects such as happy feelings and creative and i don't like the heavy feeling on the body. So for me the ideal sativa is about 10% to 20% indica and 80% Sativa. If i take those hybrids like Gorilla or G13 that is just to much indica effects, but they still have great head high, but i don't like the couchlock feelings. But maybe you will love it, just try it and take small hits and just don't try to be the cool guy that takes the strongest shit, because people that do that are probably mostly just idiots.

But a lot depends on the terpenes. if you don't want your brain to go all over the place, just stick with the focused strains, rather than the creative strains . Personally those all over the place strains are my favorite, so I usually go with that. I use it to get me in a positive happy flow.

I look up strain effects on leafly.com or wikileaf.com if i want to know more about the medicinal properties of a strain.
the best is just to try it out yourself and start slow.

Last edited:

CANtalk

My Vortex and Quantum Kush strong sativa strains came in 🥂. The Vortex batch looks real good and very picture-worthy, quite frosty to the naked eye :nod:. I'll get some pictures of both strains when I can.

I first tried the Vortex strain yesterday because it looked especially good and frosty. This Cannabis Cup and award winning strong sativa strain has an impressive history; an estimated 80/20 sativa/indica. I can attest to the high THC content of Vortex; in my first cannabis use after a weekly break, a consistently measured amount (by weight) for vaping made me extremely high, potent to the point of being woozy from the THC hit :science::freak:. With that much THC, I find it then smothers a number of entourage effects from other cannabinoids. And the experience ends up being more narrow in spectrum. Still, Vortex and my batch is wow strong stuff :bowdown:, I'll back off the weight of the next amount for vaping (to account for the big THC hit) and see if I can get into the full spectrum experience. I look forward to exploring what that brings. It looks really promising. And every strain is different.

Anyone vaping sativas this weekend and what ones? Enjoy ur sativas all and have a nice Sat/Sun.

Last edited:

darbarikanada

Anyone vaping sativas this weekend and what ones?
I recently got 'sleestack' live resin, picked it up because I'm a big fan of creative strains and one of sleestack's parents is schrom, which I had a while back and found to be very creative. I've tried sleestack 5x and it's definitely a new favorite; it's similar to cinex: very energizing but not jittery, creative as all get out. another strain I'd compare it to (and which doesn't turn up much here) is kali mist. both kali mist and sleestack are so creative that I usually start in on a project before I'm even done vaping.

I read that sleestack was bred in Holland so I used the google translator to see what (if anything) sleestack means in Dutch; one meaning is 'sled'; if that was what the breeders intended, it makes total sense: the high is kind of "whoo-hoo!" highly recommended!

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
I recently got 'sleestack' live resin, picked it up because I'm a big fan of creative strains and one of sleestack's parents is schrom, which I had a while back and found to be very creative. I've tried sleestack 5x and it's definitely a new favorite; it's similar to cinex: very energizing but not jittery, creative as all get out. another strain I'd compare it to (and which doesn't turn up much here) is kali mist. both kali mist and sleestack are so creative that I usually start in on a project before I'm even done vaping.

I read that sleestack was bred in Holland so I used the google translator to see what (if anything) sleestack means in Dutch; one meaning is 'sled'; if that was what the breeders intended, it makes total sense: the high is kind of "whoo-hoo!" highly recommended!

That's funny that Sleesack is actually a Dutch term. When I read this I assumed they were paying hommage to an old TV show. I don't know how it was actually spelled, but the Sleestack were these ficticious characters from The Land of the Lost which was a show from the 1970's. Actually it was one of several programs that were part of the Krofft and Marty Superstar Hour which was a kid's show.

Glad to hear that the strain gives you that ability to have such creative focus. I'm a big fan of live resin and the wonderful terps you get off them.

daoist

I had Amnesia Mac Ganja haze yesterday. (homemade oil). At the crack of noon i took some because i wanted to watch the Troy and Jerry show on youtube (thats like my weekly therapy session). I took about 45mg. At 18:00 i was not high anymore but still felt this relax body sensation, so i just skipped that second dose i was planning to take in the evening.

Today I may try some Amnesia haze. All week i have been taking a single dose only in the evening, instead of afternoon and evening so my tolerance is pretty low now. I was having a t-break without having a t break.

I still have some 29%thc cyclone. I am sort of scared to take it, so i keep it for later.

CANtalk

Here's a first shared picture of my new-to-me vortex strong sativa batch, big nug! The first use really potent experience feedback is above).

Can you say frosty :science::evil:!
P1150182p2.jpg

You inspired me @arb to try my M4/3 interchangeable lens digital camera again. Here it is in use again with some natural light. The body is so very old, only 5 MP capable wo it's in dire need of modern upgrade, which is now much higher resolution at 18 MP and quality at that. Still, you can see the promise that a digital camera with quality glass brings 👍.

Last edited:

arb

Semi shaved ape
Here's a first shared picture of my new-to-me vortex strong sativa batch, big nug! The first use really potent experience feedback is above).

Can you say frosty :science::evil:!
View attachment 6168

You inspired me @arb to try my M4/3 interchangeable lens digital camera again. Here it is in use again with some natural light. The body is so very old, only 5 MP capable wo it's in dire need of modern upgrade, which is now much higher resolution at 18 MP and quality at that. Still, you can see the promise that a digital camera with quality glass brings 👍.

Hard to beat a good camera for good pics........A good tripod helps a absolute shit ton.
😁
003.JPG

GoldenBud

Hard to beat a good camera for good pics........A good tripod helps a absolute shit ton.
😁
View attachment 6169
oh my.. dawg? damn man. damn. i'm pretty sure it's so spicy it almost has an "alcoholic" taste? can you please describe it?
Edit: I really like the scott og haha

Last edited:
GoldenBud,
  • Haha
Reactions: arb

arb

Semi shaved ape
oh my.. dawg? damn man. damn. i'm pretty sure it's so spicy it almost has an "alcoholic" taste? can you please describe it?
Edit: I really like the scott og haha
Sure I will try........skunky,ginger with hints of pinesol and musk.
🍔🍟

CANtalk

Hard to beat a good camera for good pics........A good tripod helps a absolute shit ton...
I only had a sliver of natural sun light in the house in a spot where no tripod was going to fit for the last picture posted. Still, I was able to brace the camera fairly well. I've slowly been building up a good photo setup, and a newer camera body will really help me next. I totally agree a good tripod is indispensable. Way back, I went for a premium Manfrotto classic aluminum tripod setup with a Manfrotto fluid head. It's current incarnation is like this.

It's totally worth it and good value (and a video capable setup). And Manfrotto makes even more impressive and $$ setups. Look at this one, And it still needs at least a 2 way fluid head...

As direct sunlight creeps more into the house through spring, it will become easier to use the tripod 👍.

Last edited:
CANtalk,
  • Love
Reactions: arb

GetLeft

Since a trip to a rec cannabis place in MA last October, at which I picked up quarters of Jilly Bean, Strawberry Cough, Light of Jah plus two eigths (Tangie and GG4), I've picked up several eights here in PA and have been happy with every single purchase, not to mention the ability to have some say over what I'm getting for all the $ I'm spending. My two most recent purchases are simply kick ass strains: Ecto Cooler and Honey Badger Haze. I don't know enough to make reliable recommendations, but both of these strains are worth taking the risk on if you see them at your local place :tup:

GetLeft,
Top Bottom