Rosin Technique....Easy DIY Solventless

davesmith

Glass Blower
Well, my press arrived yesterday, 12 days from ordering, Germany to UK, I think that's pretty good. To get to know the machine I pressed 2 8ths of larfy popcorn, blue cheese and grapefruit diesel. I got very little yield and it was quite sappy and dark, but I want expecting anything special. The grapefruit has been around for a couple of years and it's a firm favourite of mine in terms of flavour. I've had it as flower, BHO, and hair straightener rosin, but yesterday's dabs were the most delicious yet.

So this morning it was time for some serious fun! I pre heated the press and prepared a quarter each of zkittlez, do si dos, and alien gorilla.

I make a puck in my dulytek pre press, sort the bottom corners of the bag, place the puck in the filter, cut off excess and fold in the top.

First up, zkittlez. Press set to 80c I heatsoak the puck, then slowly increase pressure up to a Max of about 3k psi indicated. I get back 1.48g from one press. No blow out

View attachment 8766
View attachment 8767

Next up is the do si dos. I went a bit harder and a bit faster with this one. It's the oldest of the three, and the least photogenic! I got 1.14g from one press, a small blowout.

View attachment 8768
View attachment 8769

And finally the alien gorilla. I think this one needs a bit more temp as it didn't seem to flow. I yielded the least at 0.68g but I know there's more in there! Many large blowouts lol.

View attachment 8770
View attachment 8771
View attachment 8772

Such a lot of fun!😁
Which size press did you go for? The price looks great!

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
I went for the 7 ton with guage. Iirc you were waiting for 220v dabpress stock too? I decided I couldn't wait any longer and am glad I finally took the plunge.

My first impressions are here

Texus

First press of 2.5 g Velvet Glove was successful. Pressed in a 2x4 but not bagged. I cut a piece of spongy shipping foam to take up about half of that space in the pre-press, since I thought I wouldn't get a thick enough puck otherwise. A bit darker than I'd like but wow tasted great and the high was really special. I am not sure that the 2x4 prepress is great for the smaller amounts (under 3.5 g probably) that I imagine I'll be pressing. May go with a tube pre-press, or just do straight chottle tech (sock cylinder that you pack flower into. Or I also see folks say that no bags/chottle/bottle tech is needed for smaller amounts. Fun stuff. Most difficult part was getting the rosin off the parchment paper.

damm

hot @damm !!!

how on earth you get near 30% return??

Is your material perfectly fresh?

It has happened to me before. Here's a couple-year-old post from me pressing some Monolith from Kiona (I-502 Grower). 28grams Flower for a little over 7 grams of Flower Rosin.

My routine is straightforward:

Take my pre-press mold from Lowtemp Plates (3x5), put a small piece of parchment paper on the bottom mold, and put the center mold in/on it. Filling the mold, I usually remove the large stalks, so everything in the mold is smaller than the full bud. Another piece of parchment paper is put on the top, and I take it to a 12ton Harbor Freight Press that I used to use to press to squish it down with the full 12T pressure for about 60seconds.

Then I toss it in a 160 Micron bag and use my All-In-One Lowtemp Press v2 for the final pressing, which I run at 190f as I found that gives me the best taste/great return. 210f on a second pressing if I am making medicine.

Lastly, yes, fresh/quality product is a requirement. 100$ ounces always gave me nasty Rosin.

Chicken No Name

Dazed and confused
hot @damm !!!

how on earth you get near 30% return??

Is your material perfectly fresh?
My highest return is 27%. Lowest is 10%.

In my experience, it's down to the herb quality.
Freshness of the herb makes little difference to my yields but does with the flavour and colour of the rosin.

Decent genetics is key. I tend to get better returns with photoperiod with autos generally giving me the lowest returns.
E.g. I get 27% all day every day from my bg c99 regular.
A recent DP daiquiri lime auto gives me around 12%.

The flip side with autos is they often give massive yields. With photos I struggle to exceed 1gpw. With autos I can easily hit 1.5gpw.....
I do prefer photoperiods in general but the autos get better and better and are useful for winter time when my loft gets very cold ...

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
First press of 2.5 g Velvet Glove was successful. Pressed in a 2x4 but not bagged. I cut a piece of spongy shipping foam to take up about half of that space in the pre-press, since I thought I wouldn't get a thick enough puck otherwise. A bit darker than I'd like but wow tasted great and the high was really special. I am not sure that the 2x4 prepress is great for the smaller amounts (under 3.5 g probably) that I imagine I'll be pressing. May go with a tube pre-press, or just do straight chottle tech (sock cylinder that you pack flower into. Or I also see folks say that no bags/chottle/bottle tech is needed for smaller amounts. Fun stuff. Most difficult part was getting the rosin off the parchment paper.
2x4 pre press is a real timesaver for me versus bottles. I tend to favor 10g pucks with this pre press.

WelshBrok

I used to swear by prepressing with one of the cylinder ones more shaped for bottle tech but now I’ve found I get better yields hand packing. It’s a pain and makes it take longer but it’s increased my yields around 1-2% on the same flower. I think it just allows me to press the flower into the shape of the bag instead of the bag being formed into the shape of the puck :shrug:

Chicken No Name

Dazed and confused
I used to swear by prepressing with one of the cylinder ones more shaped for bottle tech but now I’ve found I get better yields hand packing. It’s a pain and makes it take longer but it’s increased my yields around 1-2% on the same flower. I think it just allows me to press the flower into the shape of the bag instead of the bag being formed into the shape of the puck :shrug:
I find the same..... Stopped pre pressing now and only hand pack.....

Chicken No Name

Dazed and confused
And my experience was exactly opposite @FlyingLow . I found I burst more bags pre packing. I assumed it was because I had more material and the bag just couldn't take it.

But perhaps I have just got better with more practice and should give prepack another go......

It's very interesting the different experiences folk have (pre pack, mesh size, freshness of materia etc etc).
I guess their is no definitive answer, just your own experience and feel.....

WelshBrok

I have not tried a hand pack in some time, but I found I inadvertently would overpack when hand stuffing, and it would put unnecessary strain on the seams before I even got on the press [and would consequently have more blowouts].
To be fair I am weighing out the same amount of flower I used to put in the prepress so maybe that limits me overfilling it

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
To be fair I am weighing out the same amount of flower I used to put in the prepress so maybe that limits me overfilling it
It is not a matter of using more material per bag, I am also measured.

It is an issue of being ham handed and trying to pack it in a way that is still tight and not leaving big air pockets. I don't have the touch for hand packing and tend to push it/stuff it too hard.

Instead, I prepress, drop the puck in the bag, fold it up and get to work. No issues with that.

WelshBrok

It is not a matter of using more material per bag, I am also measured.

It is an issue of being ham handed and trying to pack it in a way that is still tight and not leaving big air pockets. I don't have the touch for hand packing and tend to push it/stuff it too hard.

Instead, I prepress, drop the puck in the bag, fold it up and get to work. No issues with that.

ahh I get you, I actually use the press bit from my cylindrical prepress to gently press the material down in the bag once it’s holding the right shape. Keeps the top and bottom flat but less compacted than prepressing it properly and I do fill it one nug at a time. This is all bottle tech as well as I’ve never really done horizontal/flat bag as I see it as including more bag material for the same amount of flower

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Weighing is helpful, but density is equally important.

Consider that identical weights from two different strains can be radically different in volume. This definitely affects how you pack a bag, as you can have the same amount loaded and it not even fit between the plates.

Top Bottom