• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Rosin Technique....Easy DIY Solventless

lazylathe

Almost there...
The only time I had a bleed through on cheapo parchment paper was when I added about 1000psi extra than normal/advised just to see what happened, I wonder why you are having so much trouble, 4x layers is a lot of wasted paper, (I am pretty sure I have only ever used a single sheet).

I only have the 6 ton DabPress, so no guage.
Also was only able to buy cheap parchment that almost disintegrates when using a single sheet just by itself.
With the addition of the extra layer, the cheap paper works like a dream in single layers.

Baron23

For some reason there has been a shortage of parchment paper available locally.
And by this I mean, no stores have any on their shelves...:hmm:

As a last resort I stopped by the hardware store to see what they may have. My wife promised me they would have what I wanted.
ZERO!!!
But I did find this next to the parchment paper...

20200705-132913.jpg

20200705-132918.jpg

In the pic above you can see it on the desk with the leaf on it. Parchment paper on top.

With the cheap parchment I had, it required 4 layers on each side to avoid any blowouts even at low pressures.
With using a sheet of the new re-usable stuff, I can get away with a folded piece of parchment paper and have zero issues!

I have used the same piece about 15 times now and it is still good as new!

Any thoughts on it?
I would not use it by itself to squish but with parchment between, it has been very easy to use!
It's also good to 550F.
WTF is it made out of????

lazylathe

Almost there...
WTF is it made out of????

After a bit of Mr Google and a roundabout trip, I found this and I quote:

"What is your COOKINA made of?

It’s a composite fluoro polymer plastic combining two extremely high-grade compounds coated and encapsulated around a fabric carcass, resulting in a tough, economical, flexible cooking sheet. The basic chemical component is PTFE."

Baron23

After a bit of Mr Google and a roundabout trip, I found this and I quote:

"What is your COOKINA made of?

It’s a composite fluoro polymer plastic combining two extremely high-grade compounds coated and encapsulated around a fabric carcass, resulting in a tough, economical, flexible cooking sheet. The basic chemical component is PTFE."
And it’s not too slippery for pressing? I ask because Oil Slick has a PTFE product that’s good for packaging but shit for pressing. Too slippery and it becomes a mess.

lazylathe

Almost there...
And it’s not too slippery for pressing? I ask because Oil Slick has a PTFE product that’s good for packaging but shit for pressing. Too slippery and it becomes a mess.

I use a single sheet of parchment paper between the PTFE sheet.
When some rosin has leaked onto the sheet it was fairly easy to wipe off, maybe a bout on a cold plate would make it easier not sure.
It's working really well with a single sheet and no blowouts which is a huge bonus and I can still crank it as hard as I can.

Baron23

I use a single sheet of parchment paper between the PTFE sheet.
When some rosin has leaked onto the sheet it was fairly easy to wipe off, maybe a bout on a cold plate would make it easier not sure.
It's working really well with a single sheet and no blowouts which is a huge bonus and I can still crank it as hard as I can.
Ah, I do similar with an inner sleeve (I kind of burrito roll envelope style them) of parchment and an outer sleeve of slick oil stuff. Yeah, no blow outs or oil pressed thru the paper.

Thanks for the clarification. :tup::nod:

LesPlenty

Company Rep
You know we wanna see that frame you built,
That picture is it, it works so well the way it is as I can clamp it to my bench with the timber arms so I did not bother to get aluminium legs made as they might have moved more when dripteching anyway. Plus who does not like treated pine!

The basic chemical component is PTFE
Good to hear you use it outside normal parchment paper as I have always been told note to use PTFE for pressing, don't know why but I always use the cheapest paper as that is all that is available locally. I did try the Oilslick paper but that is really only for catching drips and storage.
Here are a few drips I caught the other day on Oilslick paer,
IMG_20200714_192248.jpg

MinnBobber

Technique ???
Rosin micron bags seem to hold a fair amount of rosin .
Could you press several pre pressed pucks , bagless, then freeze that big bunch of rosin, put it in a rosin bag for one big squish, to clean up any plant pieces that are in the rosin?

- Prep time goes way down, press a puck and drop in parchment and go. No fiddling with loading bags and folding bags etc
- harvesting rosin can go quick as it will get a cleaning squish later. You can even harvest those “edges of the puck” that are clearly loaded with goo as cleaning squish later.
- higher rosin yield as only one bag holds back some goo.
- rosin is so much less volume, wouldn’t you be able to squish 10 pre pressed flower pucks and fit that rosin into one bag for a final squish, low temp and low pressure??
- save on bags used

Trying to think of best technique.

Thanks for any ideas

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Yes you can press bagless then clean it up through a low temp small micron press. Only thing is the bag helps a lot when pressing larger amounts since it keeps the puck size consistent and on the plates. It just depends on how much you're trying to press - at some point its more efficient to turn to hash first and then press. It's actually collecting off a bunch of different pressings that is the most work IMO. That's where hash comes in as you put the work in upfront but then are rewarded with much higher yields and a lot less effort and time actually pressing.

arb

Semi shaved ape
Yes you can press bagless then clean it up through a low temp small micron press. Only thing is the bag helps a lot when pressing larger amounts since it keeps the puck size consistent and on the plates. It just depends on how much you're trying to press - at some point its more efficient to turn to hash first and then press. It's actually collecting off a bunch of different pressings that is the most work IMO. That's where hash comes in as you put the work in upfront but then are rewarded with much higher yields and a lot less effort and time actually pressing.
I only press flower if I am in a hurry or being lazy.
Some days I try and convince myself that it is the same but then I quickly snap back to reality.
Quality in is quality out,one must put in the effort to make improvements in any endeavor.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
It only takes me 30 mins start to finish (once the press is up to temp) to load, press and collect 2x10g pucks that will last me 10 to 14 days, no freezing or double handling and I get 15 to 22% return as a rule (tops vs bottom buds from plant). I also now have 2x quart mason jars packed tight with pressed pucks read for a QWISO run to fill up some Quaser VE10 thick oil carts.
This is my favorite for on the go sneaky hits but with the rosin tip, even better than my terp pen for straight rosin, the fritted quartz atty is cheaper holds 3 or 4 puffs per load is smaller and has 3 temp modes, I have 3, 1x purple, 1x gloss gunmetal and 1x matt black for stealth!

shredder

I feel like a dinosaur because im still pressing flowers, lol. My last pressing session returned 42 gr and I only pressed each bag once, saving pucks for stripping later. I typically press 5, or more ounces per session.

What kinds of hash are you posters making? In the amounts of rosin I make water hash seems out of the question, due to loads of extra work. And I don't have a tumbler for sift hash, and the prices for tumblers big enough for me are crazy high.

The process seems inefficient as well. What am I missing?

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I feel like a dinosaur because im still pressing flowers, lol. My last pressing session returned 42 gr and I only pressed each bag once, saving pucks for stripping later. I typically press 5, or more ounces per session.

What kinds of hash are you posters making? In the amounts of rosin I make water hash seems out of the question, due to loads of extra work. And I don't have a tumbler for sift hash, and the prices for tumblers big enough for me are crazy high.

It's just higher quality rosin - IMO hash has a better flavor, high, shelf life, less reclaim/cleaner, etc.
It becomes more efficient from a workflow standpoint at a certain scale to preprocess hash and then press rosin, but on the small scale for the average home presser its much quicker/simpler to press flower. I think a lot of it comes down to flower rosin being just one thing, but hash rosin is two glorious arts combined: hash making and rosin pressing - so its all a bit more involved.

Last edited:

shredder

It's just higher quality rosin - IMO hash has a better flavor, high, shelf life, less reclaim/cleaner, etc.
It becomes more efficient from a workflow standpoint at a certain scale to preprocess hash and then press rosin, but on the small scale for the average home presser its much quicker/simpler to press flower. I think a lot of it comes down to flower rosin being just one thing, but hash rosin is two glorious arts combined: hash making and rosin pressing - so its all a bit more involved.

How about yields? From pressing rosin from buds I might get 15-20% returns. Using say an ounce of buds, then making hash, then pressing that hash, what is the expected return from the same weight of buds as starting materials?

Adding the somewhat significant step of first making hash I have a hard time believing that this process is efficient compared to just pressing buds. As a caregiver im supplying a handful of patients so real efficiency is important to me.

I have a shaker bag used to make sift hash using dry ice, and I have a small wash machine used to make water hash. But both require quite a bit of work and supplies. And a decent sized tumbler for my needs is cost prohibitive. I would need something able to tumble 3-10 0unces at a time.

arb

Semi shaved ape
How about yields? From pressing rosin from buds I might get 15-20% returns. Using say an ounce of buds, then making hash, then pressing that hash, what is the expected return from the same weight of buds as starting materials?

Adding the somewhat significant step of first making hash I have a hard time believing that this process is efficient compared to just pressing buds. As a caregiver im supplying a handful of patients so real efficiency is important to me.

I have a shaker bag used to make sift hash using dry ice, and I have a small wash machine used to make water hash. But both require quite a bit of work and supplies. And a decent sized tumbler for my needs is cost prohibitive. I would need something able to tumble 3-10 0unces at a time.
I use trim leaf and lowers,quality flower goes out as is.
IMG-20200713-092926.jpg

My lazy ass tried pressing the same material and the quality drop was OBVIOUS.
😂
Essentially smash that trash into cash.
Also an excellent starting material to make thca with.
So not losing money by using flower you would normally move.

shredder

I use trim leaf and lowers,quality flower goes out as is.
IMG-20200713-092926.jpg

My lazy ass tried pressing the same material and the quality drop was OBVIOUS.
😂
Essentially smash that trash into cash.
Also an excellent starting material to make thca with.
So not losing money by using flower you would normally move.

Oh, OK. I actually give that stuff to my patients. One less thing I have to work on. And in my state pop corn and trim counts like top end buds as far as weight allowed. Most make medibles of it. Early on I tried pressing low grade stuff and quickly gave up on it.

I know the quality of the starting materials makes a big difference. And not just a difference in yields but of quality as well.

iDRINKBLEACH

knowing is half the power - Gi-JOE
Accessory Maker

I used a washing machine and only used a few bags because i knew it would clean up when i pressed. It was a bigger process but in the long term saved a ton of time.

bob60

Hello everyone! does anyone have any recommendations? i basically want a nugsmasher mini but am in the UK. The shipping on the nsmini is almost the price of the unit again to get it here plus probs another 200 tax. Any help?

Really want something entirely self contained and will squeeze 3.5g a time. No more than that is neccessary. Maybe this should go in ask fc but thought id mention it here as this thread seems to be a central point to all the rosin discussion l. Thanks in advance stay classy

hi @davesmith
you can try on https://graveda.de/

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer

Like @arb said in many cases its most ideal to do with trim, especially for some of these large vertically integrated canna companies who have tons of it, plus they can still sell their flower for premium prices which is often more profitable than the concentrates. Generally the companies who use nug/whole plant for hash dedicate their entire garden to hash/rosin.

The efficiency gains from hash rosin versus flower rosin don't really come across in final yield, they are more to do with time/labor savings at scale. You can wash a lot more material at once and turn it into hash, then the yields per press will be very high so there's much less time spent pressing/pre-pressing/folding/collecting. Imagine yielding 80% return with each press instead of 20% - that’s the kind of time savings that really adds up when you’re pressing rosin all day, every day.

It’s subjective as there are lots of small variables: flower rosin would yield more total grams, but hash rosin grams are more valuable. Also comparing yield for trim vs flower is tricky because if you wash trim you still have all your flower left, and yield often isn’t as important since profit is generally higher on flower than extract anyways.

Top Bottom