Rosin Technique....Easy DIY Solventless

mc

I was pretty much ready to throw it out in the dumpster, (other than the pid controllers and the plates maybe) well heres some pics :

https://imgur.com/a/EaVU3
https://imgur.com/0IGsnHM
https://imgur.com/a/avui4

I did try and screw the plates better into place but it only seem to make it worse.

You can always get a small press and attache these plates to it since the heaters and plates should work no matter what press you attache them too. I'm not sure that thin metal on top of the plates can handle real pressure through, might want to remove that somehow.

shredder

Yeah, it is dry, warm and windy here this winter, so have thought of that. Thanks for strain and terpene recommendation for decongestant, definitely can use that in my medical arsenal.

Thanks & Peace.

Edit: @shredder I looked up super silver haze and it is sativa dominant.The rosin I have recently pressed has been indica/indica dominant, but I don't usually dab indicas and prefer sativa/sativa dominant. So strain variable still a possibility. Pressing some sativa dominant Red Headed Stranger today and will try in day or two and compare.

My personal preference is for sativas as well, but for medicine or medical qualities I would look at the terpenes rather than a somewhat artificial indica/sativa designation. Just pick the varieties that have terpenes that suit your needs, then secondly look at taste, effects and so on.

Super silver haze is a hybrid cross, like the majority of strains now days, but it behaves more like a sativa when taken at 9-10 weeks and more like an indica if taken at say 12 weeks. Ive actually grown it for 6 years now, so I'm familiar with it.

elmomuzz

That just happened...
I made some ice hash rosin recently. Heat was at 190 degrees which I think I should go even lower. Experiment. Experiment.. :)

dabpress6.jpg

mc

I made some ice hash rosin recently. Heat was at 190 degrees which I think I should go even lower. Experiment. Experiment

Also, I notice your filter method. With those long plates you could use just the front half of the plates and get if off them quickly with the method I posted above in my album. Here's a snippet of it;

TWtT1fb.jpg

Mondy

Hi everyone -- May I ask a total rosin noob question? Do you have to have sticky bud to get anything using a hair straightener?

I have tried squeezing a couple of low-quality bud samples I've got in my stash with my new Kipozi Pro hair straightener at 220 to 320 F, and all I'm getting is green tortillas (brown-green if I press it for longer)--I'm decarbing it, anyway....

I'm guessing this is a case of garbage in, garbage out. This weed isn't sticky at all. It's from two different outdoor home grows that gave flowers without much in the way of trichomes at all.

Should I just not expect anything magical to happen when pressing weed that's not sticky?

Thanks for your help and patience for a noob with a hair straightener. ;)

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
@Mondy The less trichomes, the less yields. You could scope your buds if you're curious. You should have some rosin around the puck assuming you're generating enough pressure. The kipozi straightener I had did good at creating rosin, I just didn't get much in the way of yields with my frosty nugs because I wasn't getting enough pressure.

Mondy

@Mondy The less trichomes, the less yields. You could scope your buds if you're curious. You should have some rosin around the puck assuming you're generating enough pressure. The kipozi straightener I had did good at creating rosin, I just didn't get much in the way of yields with my frosty nugs because I wasn't getting enough pressure.

Thanks psychonaut. I'm probably going to take apart my beautiful new hair straightener and hook the plates to the jaws of a small bench vice. Do you think that will help? I really don't want to have to drop $400 on a press for my limited needs. :p

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Thanks psychonaut. I'm probably going to take apart my beautiful new hair straightener and hook the plates to the jaws of a small bench vice. Do you think that will help? I really don't want to have to drop $400 on a press for my limited needs. :p

Sure ya can, me and @psychonaut both hooked Kipozi plates up to a bench vise!

Here's some rosin I made with that exact setup. It's definitely capable!

7uQ7zYr5zaVaxFdhptI-jxddR0jBW5hu6DgdwUTqabc.jpg

The plates might eventually fail, but for $30 oh well! Still a great proof of concept, you could rig them into something long term if you really wanted to. To be honest the worst part of that setup is the bench vise, it's really slow to open and close and makes it a little awkward compared to using a hydraulic shop press. if somebody wanted to take it all the way, with a cheap bottle jack and frame you could make a small personal press that would be pretty sweet!

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I only had success with kipozi after pairing it with a vise... though I've never returned anything that looked remotely as beautiful as Inverted's pics.

:) I ran mine in a 600 lb trigger clamp for a little bit too, but the vise definitely had much more pressure capability!

The shop press is much easier to use though honestly.

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
There are stages to this tech, you can go ultra low tech and have to damn near build it from top to botom and possibly need to do a lot of fidgeting, to having it automated with hydraulics where you only need to put in the paper/material and press a buton! The proof of concept though is so huge and really shows what can be done. Not to mention, lets say those pucks didnt get juiced 100%, wash that shit and make some edibles, it's really a no lose scenario unless you are dabbing faster than yer' yielding! At that point, that's your sign it's time to upgrade brothers and sisters :nod:

Mondy

There are stages to this tech, you can go ultra low tech and have to damn near build it from top to botom and possibly need to do a lot of fidgeting, to having it automated with hydraulics where you only need to put in the paper/material and press a buton! The proof of concept though is so huge and really shows what can be done. Not to mention, lets say those pucks didnt get juiced 100%, wash that shit and make some edibles, it's really a no lose scenario unless you are dabbing faster than yer' yielding! At that point, that's your sign it's time to upgrade brothers and sisters :nod:
Thank you very much one and all! I appreciate your help and am encouraged! OK, I'm gonna try tearing down the Kipozi and hooking it up to my vice (though I kind of hate to gut such a nicely made device, but it is destined for more important work than straightening hair!). ;)

I'll take a look for earlier builds, but with 164 pages of content here, it might take a while. If anyone has links to Kipozi re-works, they would be much appreciated!

Mondy,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Thank you very much one and all! I appreciate your help and am encouraged! OK, I'm gonna try tearing down the Kipozi and hooking it up to my vice (though I kind of hate to gut such a nicely made device, but it is destined for more important work than straightening hair!). ;)

I'll take a look for earlier builds, but with 164 pages of content here, it might take a while. If anyone has links to Kipozi re-works, they would be much appreciated!

Assuming you are starting with the same model I did, it's really easy to tear down. I used some self fusing silicone rubber tape from Home Depot for a super easy and safe way of covering any exposed electronics.

Mondy

Assuming you are starting with the same model I did, it's really easy to tear down. I used some self fusing silicone rubber tape from Home Depot for a super easy and safe way of covering any exposed electronics.

I was able to take mine apart easily in just five minutes last night using just a Phillip's head screwdriver and a paring knife to pry off a couple of caps. It a KIPOZI Professional Titanium Flat Iron Hair Straightener with Digital LCD Display, Dual Voltage,Instant Heat Up,1.75 inch wide, black--$37 at Amazon.

It's interesting to see how it's built. Besides the electronics, it's just a couple of what look like ceramic heating elements stuck to the back of the plates.

I have decided keep the electronics inside the plastic housing and then extend the four wires that run to the two heating elements.

I'm heading the hardware store now to buy high-temp silicone goo and a couple of pieces of metal to use as backing plates for the heating plates.

Closing the jaws of the vise takes longer than I'd like, but I think this should make a pretty nice little bud squeezer without too much work or spending too much.

Last edited:

Mondy

If you mount the plates inside a piece of box tubing or something, instead of just as a backing the heaters shouldn't crack and could last quite a long time!
That sounds intriguing but I'm not sure I understand. My plan is to silicone goo the two titanium heating plates that I removed to a piece of steel or aluminum stock of some kind, and the stock mounts against the vice jaws. Does that make sense?

Did you mean mount the titanium plates + heaters on a piece of box tubing because that's more rigid?

Last edited:
Mondy,

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
I'm not sure if the silicone goo will work out well in this application, the pressure will destroy the silicone as it compresses the plate to the backplate. JB weld may work though, just keep in mind removing them could be difficult to impossible depending on how it's mounted.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
That sounds intriguing but I'm not sure I understand. My plan is to silicone goo the two titanium heating plates that I removed to a piece of steel or aluminum stock of some kind, and the stock mounts against the vice jaws. Does that make sense?

Did you mean mount the titanium plates + heaters on a piece of box tubing because that's more rigid?

There's a chance of cracking the heaters eventually from the PSI just backing them up to metal stock, that's what put mine out of business. We actually broke the bench vise too lol but we were probably using too much pressure. They have some better loading techniques now which can make better use of lower pressure requirements.

invertedisdead,
Reactions: psychonaut

Mondy

I'm not sure if the silicone goo will work out well in this application, the pressure will destroy the silicone as it compresses the plate to the backplate. JB weld may work though, just keep in mind removing them could be difficult to impossible depending on how it's mounted.
Ah, my old friend JB Weld. I do believe I've got some of that in a box under the counter! ;)

There's a chance of cracking the heaters eventually from the PSI just backing them up to metal stock, that's what put mine out of business. We actually broke the bench vise too lol but we were probably using too much pressure. They have some better loading techniques now which can make better use of lower pressure requirements.

Good to know that the plates can crack... With that in mind, I think a design adjustment is called for.

But you broke your VISE!? lol That's some serious pressure! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Good to know that the plates can crack... With that in mind, I think a design adjustment is called for.

But you broke your VISE!? lol That's some serious pressure! :)

Haha yeah my buddy was trying to show off, and really cranking on the vise with a breaker bar. This was a while back though when we were thinking the more pressure the better, we know now that rosin doesn't really need that much PSI.

invertedisdead,

miguelovic

Most vises are made in China and the alloy is poor. If you are curious, it is an interesting topic to google. Old American or Western vises are tightly held I gather.

JB Weld works well. I used tape with my Irwin Quickclamps to make a form to sink the plates into. Had it occured to me at the time I would have tried mounted to a vise, rather than using it to hold the quickclamp.

Mondy

Most vises are made in China and the alloy is poor.

I inherited mine from my father. It says "Made in Great Britain," from back in the days when China and Mexico were still only agricultural economies...

JB Weld works well.

All I had on hand was JB Kwik, which isn't rated as high for temperature as JB Weld (which I read is supposed to be good up to 500F), so I picked up some real JB Weld and a piece of steel stock at the hardware store this morning and made some backing plates for the plates from the Kipozi Professional.

2rcqy3s.jpg

The "Nano Titanium" (= titanium-coated?) plates out of the Kipozi professional beside the new steel backing plates and with two-foot lamp cord extensions. The ceramic(?) heating elements in the Kipozi plates have conductive grease on one side and a spring steel retaining clip on the other. (I'm curious what the "63.0" marked on one heater and "64.5" on the other. There's no temperature-measuring probe on them, so maybe they match the heaters to the circuitry to get the rated temp? That seem more like lab-grade than hair salon, but if not, what are the numbers for?)

9bkodg.jpg

Gluing and clamping the new backing plates onto the Kipozi heating plates. You can see where the lamp cord comes out of the Kipozi unit, which still holds all the electronics. I guess the setup looks a little bit ghetto, but it should be good enough for casual rosin extraction I hope, and won't take up a lot of space when not in use. I would say that it's cheap too, but I've spent about $60 in cash now and a few hours of my time... fun DIY project, though. ;)

15mbjat.jpg

Clamped and curing for 24 hours (big change from using the 5-minute JB Kwik). After taking this shot I silicone-sealed the wires to give them some mechanical support. I should be ready to do some semi-serious nug smashing tomorrow night! :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom