Rio Portable Dab Rig by Stache Products

disGRUNTled

Have been strictly flower for like 2 months , needless to say I'm higher than a Giraffe's ass

IMG-5690.jpg

IMG-5689.jpg

IMG-5693.jpg

IMG-5694.jpg

Choices

Happy New Years Eve everyone! I’m going on a bit of a T-break but for all of you still considering the purchase of a RIO Makeover, I saw it for sale for $138 with free shipping from Level Smoke Shop using the code “save 40”. The color choices at the moment are black, blue, and pink. I don’t know anything about the reliability of this online storefront but it seems to be okay. Just google their name, type RIO into the site search and it should get you there. Hope this saves someone a few pennies!

Frosch5

Hey guys, does anyone know a round bottom Banger on DHGate that fits the RiO? I would by the original one, but shipping to Germany is like 60$... An autospinner would also be awesome

Relaxed

This Space For Rent
I seem to rave about my RiOs in all threads other than this one... I LOVE this device, and currently have an OG and a Makeover. About 90% of my use is paired with round bottom 710 quartz, a single ruby and a OneTrickPony spinner cap.

It is my end of days piece, perfect for all scenarios, off grid, etc.

I really think I need to try a new banger, struggling with the one that came with the unit. I'll see if I can find one of the 710 ones you are using.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Pretty much any standard 14mm banger will fit the RiO. These are my preferred: https://710coils.com/collections/round-bottom-bangers

You can use any though. Myself, I would never wait on DHGate for something as common as a banger. You can pick up a cheap one from you local head shop and it will perform better than what comes with the RiO.

There are several reasons the Core Bangers are NOT ideal for the RiO. Most users do not load them properly and it results in hot hits. You should always load your material in the gutter and not on top of the solid core. When one loads not he core, it takes excessive heat to get to temps ,and then the bottom of the gutter tends to be way over temp when oil melts down and into it. I'll take a flat bottom banger over a core EVERY time.

Core bangers are also a pain to maintain when standard qtips cannot fit in to clean every corner... I think this design flaw has been corrected with Stashe's latest production.

Frosch5

I just got a round bottom banger, but cant really get the hang of it. Do you guys have any tips for me? It seems like the bottom gets way too hot, but the sides stay cool, so the dab tastes burnt but is also very ineficient, because a good amount of oil travels up the walls and doesnt get vaporized... Also i have to rip it incredebly hard to make the terp pearls spin

Southeastern

illegal smile
I was never able to get a good cold start and always burnt my dab, until I switched to a banger with a thicker bottom. An opaque round bottom banger works best for me, but any banger with a thicker bottom will probably help.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I prefer the round bottoms, and like the way they re-pool all the oils at the bottom of the cup in-between draws- makes for easy reheats.

Regarding your pearls, don't sweat about not spinning them, just give your base a little swirl like a glass of wine to move them around a little bit. I find this is often all it takes to get the pearl out of the bottom of the bucket and into the moving airflow. But still, don't worry if it does not spin, just give it some movement so that it can serve its purpose of spreading the oil.

Try taking a SMALL torch and hit your side walls (3-5 seconds-total) with it before you begin the integrated torch. It may give you a more level experience between walls and bottom- I do this quite often and it does help deter the oil from running up a hot wall. Turn on your bottom and watch for your material to bubble, count to 2 and begin inhaling. Count to 2 [or 3] after you begin your inhale, then turn off your torch while you continue inhaling. Cap should be on the entire time. Report findings.

Everyone will find their own style and I am sure you will. Personally, I do not prefer thickness as I am not concerned about retaining heat. I also hate the core banger (included) for similar reasons. By the time that core gets hot enough to melt a cold start, it is building up soo much more heat than would be required in a standard round bottom. The core's temps in also can vary within the bucket, from top of core to bottom of bucket is a big swing.

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
Jeez, Takes all kinds. I've got a round bottom banger and a flat bottom one but I find that the core banger with two small pearls gives me the most consistent and delightful hits. Took me a while to get my technique down, but now get perfect hits more than 90% of the time. After trying all kinds of different swabs on the core banger, with frustration and pain in my arthritic thumbs, I find the Higher Standards Pipe Stix swabs to be the ideal fit for a quick cleaning. Any build up or slightly burned material, typically once every four or five dabs, gets cleaned up with an alcohol swab pushed around by the reverse end of the Pipe Stix.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
With the amounts of tips I go through (easily $150+ per year, I cannot justify buying special q-tips to accommodate for a cheap $40 banger. If a standard qtip will not work, I am getting a different banger.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
easily $150+ per year
I exclusively use my own rosin and would easily use that much in a week if I used those glob mop things!
Less than $2 for 600, paper stem, cotton tips,
The last time I walked out with 3000 I got a couple of knowing smiles!
edit, these paper stem q-tips also trim well with a quick snip of the scissors to get into the corners of bangers so might work great on the core banger trench.

Last edited:

Relaxed

This Space For Rent
I prefer the round bottoms, and like the way they re-pool all the oils at the bottom of the cup in-between draws- makes for easy reheats.

Regarding your pearls, don't sweat about not spinning them, just give your base a little swirl like a glass of wine to move them around a little bit. I find this is often all it takes to get the pearl out of the bottom of the bucket and into the moving airflow. But still, don't worry if it does not spin, just give it some movement so that it can serve its purpose of spreading the oil.

Try taking a SMALL torch and hit your side walls (3-5 seconds-total) with it before you begin the integrated torch. It may give you a more level experience between walls and bottom- I do this quite often and it does help deter the oil from running up a hot wall. Turn on your bottom and watch for your material to bubble, count to 2 and begin inhaling. Count to 2 [or 3] after you begin your inhale, then turn off your torch while you continue inhaling. Cap should be on the entire time. Report findings.

Everyone will find their own style and I am sure you will. Personally, I do not prefer thickness as I am not concerned about retaining heat. I also hate the core banger (included) for similar reasons. By the time that core gets hot enough to melt a cold start, it is building up soo much more heat than would be required in a standard round bottom. The core's temps in also can vary within the bucket, from top of core to bottom of bucket is a big swing.

Do you have a link to a good round bottom one? I'd like to give one a try.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I use deep dish rounds from 710coils the most [and have 2], I also have had several Stashe ones but would not recommend them for historically they have had issues with their joints not seating well.

I've also got a round from Long Island. LI is my most favored for its welded joints and ease to clean, but due to the price point I do not use it as an everyday driver. Though not advertised as such, the LI has an extraordinary tall/deep dish, it is deeper than 710's.

Clapped_r6

My fave lately is an old "frost bottom premium" from sneaky pete. I find its sweet spot a lot easier to manage. Round bottom on outside, super thick bottom thats basically flat inside, takes heat really well

OyVape

Just got an email from Stache.

Valentine’s Day sale:
2 Rio’s for $250 with code CoupleKit

note: correct code is couplekit, not coupleskit as originally posted

Last edited:
Top Bottom