Retrosteam vapes

Gregori

CannaBoss
The discount code was limited in time. We now have a new page... I'll see if I can add it again soon
Hi Retrosteam. Still no discount code ? Looks like there are some people on the forum lurking.
Was wondering : what's the difference between cuban and kombipipe ? Does the Kombipipe include a diamond or is it just the tube ?

Thanks!

RedZep

Does the bowl marry up with any of the ball vape heads?

Also does it perform just like a sticky brick? If not what are the differences/advantages? Thanks.

RedZep,
Reactions: DgN'R

coolbreeze

Does the bowl marry up with any of the ball vape heads?
It sort of mates with the Zeal (I haven't actually tried to use it) but not really any others I have.
Also does it perform just like a sticky brick? If not what are the differences/advantages? Thanks.
It does perform similar to a Sticky Brick, but Bricks tend to be pretty open whereas the Diamond has a bit of restriction. Same idea/technique but expect a tighter draw. The intake config makes it very forgiving and easy to use.

DgN'R

I would add that Cuban has no carb hole compared with other bricks, instead of the restrictor disc on SBL or a dome screen on the NOVA, you have a ceramic flame guard that also acts as a thermal diffuser, hence the tighter restriction (the design of a traditional pipe path also reduces it).

Heating is very stable and AVB is uniform. It also has an SS flame intake instead of glass, which makes the Cuban certainly one of the easiest to use vapes in this range (it's pretty hard to combust or break because it's very durable too). Note that the SS bowl is relatively big and allows long sessions with occasional stirring and this one is fully removable for deep cleaning.

The small size and excellent design/manufacturing of Retrosteam products make them a sure bet. What's more, the possibilities offered by these products are quite extensive, as everything is removable. In addition, RO explain that they are working on an electronic top that would avoid the use of butane, making it very versatile :tup:

coolbreeze

I would add that Cuban has no carb hole compared with other bricks, instead of the restrictor disc on SBL or a dome screen on the NOVA, you have a ceramic flame guard that also acts as a thermal diffuser, hence the tighter restriction (the design of a traditional pipe path also reduces it).

Heating is very stable and AVB is uniform. It also has an SS flame intake instead of glass, which makes the Cuban certainly one of the easiest to use vapes in this range (it's pretty hard to combust or break because it's very durable too). Note that the SS bowl is relatively big and allows long sessions with occasional stirring and this one is fully removable for deep cleaning.

The small size and excellent design/manufacturing of Retrosteam products make them a sure bet. What's more, the possibilities offered by these products are quite extensive, as everything is removable. In addition, RO explain that they are working on an electronic top that would avoid the use of butane, making it very versatile :tup:

Well said. Hadn't heard about a powered version but I'm in for sure.

Gregori

CannaBoss
Hi there,

Just got a Cuban from La Centrale Vapeur and I'm a bit disappointed.
Is it normal that the stainless screen doesn't stay in place when you turn the vape ? It keeps falling and that's annoying. On my other vapes the screen is snug and doesn't move (Sticky Brick Jr and OG).
If that's normal for the screen to always be free then I've another question : how do you empty your bowl when it is finished ? I've got to put everything in my hand to keep the screen.

Thank you to let me know.

Last edited:

coolbreeze

Hi there,

Just got a Cuban from La Centrale Vapeur and I'm a bit disappointed.
Is it normal that the stainless screen doesn't stay in place when you turn the vape ? It keeps falling and that's annoying. On my other vapes the screen is snug and doesn't move (Sticky Brick Jr and OG).

Thank you to let me know.
Do you mean the screen is too small for the bowl's diameter? the one in my Diamond is big enough to friction-fit. Maybe find one the next size up?

Have you tried the bowl/heater section on a waterpipe yet? Two vapes in one, whatta deal!

Gregori

CannaBoss
Exactly that. I'm looking to buy 16.5mm and 17mm screen because the included 15mm are not big enough to friction-fit. It's not the case with my SBJr and Daisy.
It's soooo frustrating to get such a clever, classy, handcrafted vape and not being able to use it right. I've contacted Retrostream and La Centrale Vapeur but can't wait to order the screens as I'd like to travel with it on friday.
BTW : I've always had stainless screen and I see brass screens exist. As a trumpet player I'm gonna try those. Any idea what are the differences ?

coolbreeze

Exactly that. I'm looking to buy 16.5mm and 17mm screen because the included 15mm are not big enough to friction-fit. It's not the case with my SBJr and Daisy.
It's soooo frustrating to get such a clever, classy, handcrafted vape and not being able to use it right. I've contacted Retrostream and La Centrale Vapeur but can't wait to order the screens as I'd like to travel with it on friday.
Dang. Maybe you can find a headshop on your journey? The hardware store may have ss faucet screens in stock? In any case, safe travels.

Retrosteam

Manufacturer
Usually, the screen settles in place after a few sessions. We haven't encountered any issues so far, but you could try using a slightly larger screen to make sure it stays in place. We recommend a 16mm diameter for the best fit.

Best regards 👋

I'm also working on an e-version, but as always, it needs to be well thought out. There are two possible directions I'm considering.

I only build classic pipes upon request or for trade shows due to time constraints. Wishing you all a great time!

Retrosteam

Manufacturer
I recently got new screens, basically the same ones as always. I’m currently on vacation and will check them when I’m on site. I can imagine that the screens might also vary there, as I had already noticed significant differences in various batches before. If you know of better screens or manufacturers, please let me know. And sorry

Retrosteam

Manufacturer
Hi Retrosteam. Still no discount code ? Looks like there are some people on the forum lurking.
Was wondering : what's the difference between cuban and kombipipe ? Does the Kombipipe include a diamond or is it just the tube ?

Thanks!
The combination pipe is simple to manufacture and consists of two parts. The Cuban pipe has a smooth magnetic closure and the design is harmoniously integrated. These advantages are not present in the combination pipe.

DgN'R

Is it normal that the stainless screen doesn't stay in place when you turn the vape ? It keeps falling and that's annoying.
Yeah it must be frustrating indeed.. my Cuban ordered some time ago doesn't have this problem and the screen holds well in place, but when stirring the bowl during a session, I've already had the screen get stuck in the stirring tool on the edges, causing the entire bowl to spill into the pipe. This can easily be solved by adding a screen with a larger diameter, which will adhere better to the SS bowl walls.

Did you get the version with the screw-in flame intake?

Don't hesitate to share a few pictures with us and give us a little report on how it works once you've got the hang of it 😉

I was looking at the site and the sticksteam caught my eye, anyone got one of these?
It's the same principle, i.e. an instant butane vape, with a much smaller bowl (similar to a Dynavap bowl).

simba

@weedanwine
It's the same principle, i.e. an instant butane vape, with a much smaller bowl (similar to a Dynavap bowl).

Sure I get the principle, my question is more about the experience. It's a short airpath for a direct butane vape, so I'm wondering how it feels to use natively.

simba,
Reactions: DgN'R

Retrosteam

Manufacturer
Sure I get the principle, my question is more about the experience. It's a short airpath for a direct butane vape, so I'm wondering how it feels to use natively.
Some people love the stick vaporizer, while others prefer pipes. Personally, I use both, simply because I have one at home, one in the workshop, one in the car, and one in the garden shed. :D The stick is definitely hotter and requires a loose, small filling. You can counteract that with longer mouthpieces, different short filters, or hemp wool. I've also used glass tips or spirals and have had good results. But in everyday life, I'm more of a "get it done" kind of user. :)

DgN'R

You can only use it natively, Sticksteam doesn't transform into WPA like Cuban. I agree with Retrosteam, the steam is hotter than with other models, but with a long acrylic mouthpiece (you can add glass beads to the mouthpiece, adding a concave screen beforehand to avoid clogging the hole for better cooling) I find it pleasant in spite of everything. Note that Sticksteam isn't actually that small, I think it's just the right size.

(here with a short acrylic mouthpiece)

(here with a long acrylic mouthpiece)

To be totally honest, I'm not a fan of this model because it forces you to turn the flame towards your face. In addition, I've already mentioned this to Retrosteam, but I think personally the design would have been better if the bowl had been reversed as well (with the bowl on the mouthpiece side and not on the flame intake side, because you can't blow into it at the end of the session and you won't notice whether the start bowl is burnt or not (because you can only see the end of the bowl in this case)). However, this version has enabled me to use it as a mouthpiece for my CL, which is just perfect (which would not have been possible with the inverted bowl).

In any case, I appreciate the friction-locked assembly of the two wooden parts, and the build quality is, as usual, perfect 😉 :peace:

RedZep

So I would love to pick one of these up at some point. I just have some concerns. I saw a video posted by the creator using the device, and to be honest I wasn't impressed at the clouds at all. I'm used to killing a sticky brick bowl in a single hit, no stirring, with huge dense clouds. If I was getting multiple whispy clouds with lots of stirring, I just wouldn't enjoy the device.

With that said, has anyone managed to dial in their technique enough to get better results?

Retrosteam

Manufacturer
So I would love to pick one of these up at some point. I just have some concerns. I saw a video posted by the creator using the device, and to be honest I wasn't impressed at the clouds at all. I'm used to killing a sticky brick bowl in a single hit, no stirring, with huge dense clouds. If I was getting multiple whispy clouds with lots of stirring, I just wouldn't enjoy the device.

With that said, has anyone managed to dial in their technique enough to get better results?
That's true about the clouds, but please keep in mind that a day of filming is very demanding and long. I wanted to have a clear mind to speak properly and accomplish everything. Furthermore, at that time, I was still a beginner in the sticksteam business and use it quite differently now. For example, in the video, it's also completely overloaded
:D
. However, I would still recommend a Cuban or classic pipe to you because you can produce very large, smoke-like clouds of vapor with them. You can see some of it on Instagram now and then. Have a great day, everyone!

coolbreeze

The Diamond is like any other brick, you can get big clouds for sure. It's got a tighter draw than most bricks but works fantastically. Since it's essentially the top and bowl from the pipes, I assume they're similar.

RedZep

That's true about the clouds, but please keep in mind that a day of filming is very demanding and long. I wanted to have a clear mind to speak properly and accomplish everything. Furthermore, at that time, I was still a beginner in the sticksteam business and use it quite differently now. For example, in the video, it's also completely overloaded
:D
. However, I would still recommend a Cuban or classic pipe to you because you can produce very large, smoke-like clouds of vapor with them. You can see some of it on Instagram now and then. Have a great day, everyone!
Nice. I just needed to know the potential was there. I can trust myself to get it dialed in over time the way I did with SB and Nova. It's the Cuban I'm interesting in. I love the pipe aesthetic.

Top Bottom