Discontinued RBT Splinter (All Versions)

NimChimpsky

Splinter V2 landed today :rockon:This is my first foray into box mod vapes and @FearAndLawyering hooked me up with a Lost Vape Grus loaded with AF along with one of his 510 bases (and plenty of advice lol). Having great result in wattage mode as well as with temp control. Still learning and experimenting with a couple settings but the temp control is awesome. The base also adds a nice form factor, making things more stable. Thanks again @leerbtmd and FandL :) Extremely pleased

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
Great snag @NimChimpsky! I still use my Splinter Zs regularly. The best RBT vapes to use with a water piece IMO.
Super cool. What settings do you use to milk up that bubbler? I struggle to manage that with my Zs. I seldom use water and never got good at it but have a small inline en route and wouldn't mind getting a clue

"Good with the hot sauce too though..."
PXL_20210608_202134294.jpg

seki

Super cool. What settings do you use to milk up that bubbler? I struggle to manage that with my Zs. I seldom use water and never got good at it but have a small inline en route and wouldn't mind getting a clue
Thanks! In the video, I used a flat screen and joint packed a touch more than 0.1g, set at 36w in power mode. I pre-heated for 20 seconds before drawing. I find the pre-heat to be key. Even 5 seconds less can result in a significant performance decrease.

If I were to substitute the joint pack with a basket screen but kept all of the above variables the same, I would almost certainly combust given my particular draw speed/technique. In general, I find the joint pack to be a lot more forgiving when running in power mode. I find this to be the case for me with my Milaanas as well. Native with my Splinters, I much prefer basket screens and your Red Panda config though. Since getting a Ravage, I don't bother using Splinters in power mode native.

Last edited:

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
Thanks! In the video, I used a flat screen and joint packed a touch more than 0.1g, set at 36w in power mode. I pre-heated for 20 seconds before drawing. I find the pre-heat to be key. Even 5 seconds less can result in a significant performance decrease.

If I were to substitute the joint pack with a basket screen but kept all of the above variables the same, I would almost certainly combust given my particular draw speed/technique. In general, I find the joint pack to be a lot more forgiving when running in power mode. I find this to be the case for me with my Milaanas as well. Native with my Splinters, I much prefer basket screens and your Red Panda config though. Since getting a Ravage, I don't bother using Splinters in power mode native.
Word up. I've never joint packed. I'll have to get some flat screens to try it out with the en route glass

NimChimpsky

Truly loving the Splinter. I'm operating 300-390° in temp mode (42W max, .24ohm locked, TCR125, PI-R off) and able to roast those lower temps nicely, getting tasty clouds with full and even extraction.

I got this stem a while back for my TM from Vgoodiez, just noticed it is 19/19 and wide enough to fit the TM CU (RBT stock ones too narrow). I took the CU nuts/washers out so it doesn't rob as much flavor and pushed it in to make like a 3/4 joint pack. Works perfectly for me - you can even cap it off with a basket screen if you're into that.

Last edited:

NimChimpsky

Love my Mi3 so much I just had to get a splinter; now I have one coming in the mail! However, this is gonna be my first 510 connection vape and I am pretty technologically-incapable, is there a resource somewhere for best box mod for the splinter/where to buy a box mod/how to set it up?
Nice! We are in the same boat lol. However, I am about a week ahead of you with the Splinter (also my first box mod) so maybe I can help direct you a bit (while there are others with plenty more experience whom we should both rely on lol, like @bossman :lol:).

I list my TCR settings above for my Splinter V2, which @FearAndLawyering helped me out with. I got my mod from him preloaded with ArcticFox (he might have some good stuff still) but there's tons of options for mods, of course, though it is increasingly more difficult to find them online.

I played around with wattage mode but got TCR to work so nicely that I have just stuck with that so far. It's been overall much easier than I expected - if you love the Mi3, I think you will have a blast with the Splinter!

Edit: One thing you will want to check, and that will be unique to your splinter, will be the cold resistance. Plug it in while cold and check what the resistance is (prly ~0.23-0.26ohm) and lock that in. You can adjust it slightly from there as needed (increasing resistance will produce more energy/heat).

Last edited:

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
Love my Mi3 so much I just had to get a splinter; now I have one coming in the mail! However, this is gonna be my first 510 connection vape and I am pretty technologically-incapable, is there a resource somewhere for best box mod for the splinter/where to buy a box mod/how to set it up?
I like @NimChimpsky's settings a few posts ago for a Splinter V2.

With the scarcity of the only two Red Panda mods I think the move is probably still to find a Wismec RX Gen3 Dual or another Arctic Fox/my_evic mod.

DNA mods work well too but the extra button pressing to adjust temps is annoying.

Razhumikin

Would an eleaf Istick Rim C work well for the splinter? The Wismec RX Gen3 Dual seems out of stock everywhere I can find.

Edit: Couldn't find a Wismec in stock anywhere so went with a iStick Power 80W, as that is listed as arctic fox compatible.

Last edited:

Choices

Would an eleaf Istick Rim C work well for the splinter? The Wismec RX Gen3 Dual seems out of stock everywhere I can find.
You can go about as simple as you like with the Splinter. I run mine with a Vaporesso Target Mini II or a Vaporesso Swag, both in wattage mode. Easy as pie to use, just “watt step” it up from say 25-40 wattage. I could set up TCR but never felt the need to do so...

Salvaged_Title_Robot

Truly loving the Splinter. I'm operating 300-390° in temp mode (42W max, .24ohm locked, TCR125, PI-R off) and able to roast those lower temps nicely, getting tasty clouds with full and even extraction.

I got this stem a while back for my TM from Vgoodiez, just noticed it is 19/19 and wide enough to fit the TM CU (RBT stock ones too narrow). I took the CU nuts/washers out so it doesn't rob as much flavor and pushed it in to make like a 3/4 joint pack. Works perfectly for me - you can even cap it off with a basket screen if you're into that.
Wow, cool idea! It will also help cut the height down by utilizing a short MP instead of a long xl8r stems for cooling. The short MP's otherwise don't provide much cooling. Flavor yes, cooling no. The Grus looks like a shock baton with a splinter/z and a long MP attached lol it's tall. I have the same setup from @FearAndLawyering except without the base. I find that the Grus mod with arctic fox out performs my other AF capable mods I had tried before (eleaf,gen3d). Although I recently got a few DNA mods and I haven't gone back to AF.

Last edited:

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure

Edit: Couldn't find a Wismec in stock anywhere so went with a iStick Power 80W, as that is listed as arctic fox compatible.
The Rim C is the single cell they use for the Neo, yeah? The iStick you settled on is a good place to start to at least give you the option to use both TC and wattage modes. I've always preferred Splinter performance with two cell mods too.

I know folks mean well when they chime in that wattage mode is great (which it is) but they're kinda saying "I can't be bothered with TC so neither should you" and I think that's a missed opportunity.

The Splinter and Z perform a bit differently on every mod - even mods that run the same firmware - and for me at least that's turned out to be a good thing. Even wattage is different with some mods doing a better job of consistent power delivery and more even abv.

All that to say: sure, give that iStick a go and maybe try a Red Panda mod down the road when availability improves.

Also I never locked resistance on my Arctic Fox or myevic mods so keep that as an option when you're doing the initial config. It seems a little daunting at first but remember that those initial settings are just a one-time deal and after that you're just adjusting the temp or switching between TC and wattage. I've always enjoyed how Splinters are two vapes in one like that

Razhumikin

The Rim C is the single cell they use for the Neo, yeah? The iStick you settled on is a good place to start to at least give you the option to use both TC and wattage modes. I've always preferred Splinter performance with two cell mods too.

I know folks mean well when they chime in that wattage mode is great (which it is) but they're kinda saying "I can't be bothered with TC so neither should you" and I think that's a missed opportunity.

The Splinter and Z perform a bit differently on every mod - even mods that run the same firmware - and for me at least that's turned out to be a good thing. Even wattage is different with some mods doing a better job of consistent power delivery and more even abv.

All that to say: sure, give that iStick a go and maybe try a Red Panda mod down the road when availability improves.

Also I never locked resistance on my Arctic Fox or myevic mods so keep that as an option when you're doing the initial config. It seems a little daunting at first but remember that those initial settings are just a one-time deal and after that you're just adjusting the temp or switching between TC and wattage. I've always enjoyed how Splinters are two vapes in one like that
Yea, That is the one they use with the Neo; I love my neo and am comfortable with that set up so I thought it might be good, but Im happy with what I landed on (and relieved that it got your ok lol). Ill play around with this mod for now and in the future figure out if I think I need something else. I am mostly interested in using it in TC mode, as I primarily vape at low temps and want to have some precision with that.

Salvaged_Title_Robot

Word up. I've never joint packed. I'll have to get some flat screens to try it out with the en route glass
I found that Sticky Brick screens work perfect. They are 5/8 in. screens. They stay in place very well. I have never stem packed because I feel like the vapor would be too hot and eat up my batteries. I'll give it a try tonight.

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
Yea, That is the one they use with the Neo; I love my neo and am comfortable with that set up so I thought it might be good, but Im happy with what I landed on (and relieved that it got your ok lol). Ill play around with this mod for now and in the future figure out if I think I need something else. I am mostly interested in using it in TC mode, as I primarily vape at low temps and want to have some precision with that.
I mostly use TC with my Zs and I'm sure a V2 on a modest two cell AF mod like that is going to work well. You can try just letting the mod manage resistance from the initial cold reading. The one hiccup folks sometimes encounter is when a mod tries to recheck: in general you should always select the old resistance if your mod tries to get sneaky and recheck, especially when it's just been used because the number will be too high for the TC temps to align with your real-world expectations. Ideally you just connect the cold Splinter, it picks a number in the .24 to .26ohms range, and you only set the tcr (anywhere from 125 to around 150) and max wattage (36 to 42) one time and that's it.

I found that Sticky Brick screens work perfect. They are 5/8 in. screens. They stay in place very well. I have never stem packed because I feel like the vapor would be too hot and eat up my batteries. I'll give it a try tonight.
Good to know, thanks. Let us know how you like it

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Still Milaana3 left and Splinters, first to ship are going to be select grain, the best looking grain, on sale now along with some free giveaways too, as posted on Instagram:

Screenshot-20210615-110814.png

Screenshot-20210615-110837.png

CanikUser19

Trenchtown Rock
Broke out my V2 last night just to put it under a LED lamp in a dark room, there’s a lot of grain in it that I just really never noticed because I don’t use my V2 enough. Did a basket of Hawaiian Haze, just because. First three rounds at 340, 350, and 360 were tasty, brought out some intense flavors that danced on the palate. Cashed it out with a round of 380, 390, then 400 before it lost all flavor. These Splinters are powerhouses and I’m reminded of that every time I come back to them in the rotation.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
What do we think of this as a no-mind mod for a SplinterV2?

vapviking,

CanikUser19

Trenchtown Rock
What do we think of this as a no-mind mod for a SplinterV2?

That one might prove to be under powered for even the V2. This isn’t the best deal but here’s a better option, it’s pricier and comes with a tank, but looks like there’s a 15% off Father’s Day coupon included as well. You’d be happier with this, color screen so Red Panda compatible https://vapesourcing.com/wismec-sinuous-ravage230-with-gnome-evo-full-kit.html?sscid=61k5_pzqvi.

Element Vape has them in stock as well. The sale price on these when you can find them is half what these are going for. But they are in stock.

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
That one might prove to be under powered for even the V2. This isn’t the best deal but here’s a better option, it’s pricier and comes with a tank, but looks like there’s a 15% off Father’s Day coupon included as well. You’d be happier with this, color screen so Red Panda compatible https://vapesourcing.com/wismec-sinuous-ravage230-with-gnome-evo-full-kit.html?sscid=61k5_pzqvi.

Element Vape has them in stock as well. The sale price on these when you can find them is half what these are going for. But they are in stock.
Good find. The Wismec Sinuous Ravage230 and the Joyetech Espion are the only two Red Panda mods and they work better with a Splinter Z or V2 than any mod I've tried, including color DNA mods that cost over a hundred dollars.

If anyone gets one of these you can PM me your email address and I'll send you the Splinter profile I use for all my Red Panda mods.
PXL_20210619_182328114~2.jpg

I see this unfamiliar seller has the Espion in stock for $35. I prefer the nickel alloy body, button placement, and clearer battery door markers on the Espion, though both work equally well.

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Haha yeah with 8 total splinters he even beats me! Although I also have four SplinterZ, but I only have one regular SplinterV2 ... And isn't it 4 Milaana you have @bossman?? I've got four too (plus OG beta with disconnected glass) though also three Zion (there was a fourth I gifted to a friend, one of the two that are actually betas) soooo call it a draw? I actually wish I had more still!
:lmao::mental:

Top Bottom