• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Random thoughts

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member

florduh

Let me just take a second to check out the news of the day...

FJkqFzDVUAEZYD4

loop spoilers GIF

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
Please lets not make this a political skirmish....

I've noticed that there are a fairly large number of questions/misunderstanding about covid testing. Often it sounds like "The rapid test came up negative and the PCR test came up positive."

The misunderstanding is generally due to not knowing what the type of test was meant to be used for.

The following two statements are interpreted similarly by some folks but they are not the same:
- A rapid test is meant to discern whether someone is contagious.
- A PCR test is meant to discern whether someone had or has the virus.

Someone could have the virus and correctly come up negative on a rapid test because they are not shedding enough virus to be contagious. This typically happens to people who are in the early stages and/or asymptomatic, and are fully vaxxed. It also happens to those who are symptomatic and vaxxed but also aren't shedding the virus enough to come up contagious.

The PCR test is used to see if a person has or had the virus but doesn't test for contagiousness so its possible to come up positive on a PCR test but come up negative on a rapid test.

Summary: To see if you are infected, take a PCR. Wondering if you’re still contagious? Take a rapid test.

*---------Suggestions----------*
1. If you can’t get a PCR, take two rapid tests two days apart.
While the PCR is the gold standard for testing, if you can’t get one, two rapid antigen tests spaced 48 hours apart are an acceptable alternative, says Matthew Binnicker, Ph.D., Medical Director of the Clinical Virology Laboratory at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota.

If you have Covid symptoms like fever, cough, sore throat, runny nose or congestion, but test negative, he recommends that you take a second at-home test in 24 to 48 hours.

“If both tests are negative and symptoms persist or get worse, seek out PCR testing for both Covid-19 and influenza,” he says. If you don’t have symptoms, but want to test after you’ve been exposed, do it on your third and fifth days post-exposure, Binnicker adds.

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
Not wanting to poo poo your post, isn't that already common knowledge in the US? If not then wtf?

Here we use lateral flow tests, and until just last week, a (first) positive lateral flow test required a PCR for confirmation. Lateral flow testing is part of the end of the self isolation process too... I.e. we have to test negative with a lateral flow test for 2 days in a row starting on day 5 until isolation can't then end.

His_Highness

Not wanting to poo poo your post, isn't that already common knowledge in the US? If not then wtf?

Here we use lateral flow tests, and until just last week, a (first) positive lateral flow test required a PCR for confirmation. Lateral flow testing is part of the end of the self isolation process too... I.e. we have to test negative with a lateral flow test for 2 days in a row starting on day 5 until isolation can't then end.
I was surprised myself to find out its not common knowledge. I literally had 4 different occurrences between Friday and yesterday where multiple people were answering someone's "why rapid was negative but the PCR was positive" question and not one mentioned the purpose of the test. I also asked several folks myself after the 4 instances above and only one person knew what the tests were meant for, let alone why a rapid test could be negative and a PCR could be positive.... That's why I posted the info......

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer

His_Highness

PCR cannot tell you any of that.

Here’s what the Nobel Prize winning inventor of the polymerase chain reaction test has to say:
Too easy to look into this one video from 1993 and find so much material to debunk it. Basically cherry picking quotes. Google it.....

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Too easy to look into this one video from 1993 and find so much material to debunk it. Basically cherry picking quotes. Google it.....

This man literally invented the test and won the Nobel prize for doing so. Nobody in the world understands PCR better than him. No fact checker (where is their PhD from?) nor google AI bot. You can (And should) watch his full unedited interview (there are a few of them, one in more recent years) where he lays out a handful of other bitter truths. He also “suddenly“ died in 2019 not
long after saying some choice words about the incompetence of a certain director of the NIAID. There’s one for the “coincidence theorists.”

“The reason people don’t respect the best and the brightest is because they can’t really tell the difference.” - Kary Mullis PhD

Lots of other gems in the full hour+ interview!
:leaf:

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
The rapids are proven unreliable, so not even sure what's the point of taking them

So if the PCR doesn't tell you if you're actually contagious, not sure of the point of that. If I had the virus 45 days ago who cares..

(45 days is a hyperbole... I dont know how long you can test positive but the point is, you can test positive after your infectious period has passed)

His_Highness

This man literally invented the test and won the Nobel prize for doing so. Nobody in the world understands PCR better than him. No fact checker (where is their PhD from?) nor google AI bot. You can (And should) watch his full unedited interview (there are a few of them, one in more recent years) where he lays out a handful of other bitter truths. He also “suddenly“ died in 2019 not
long after saying some choice words about the incompetence of a certain director of the NIAID. There’s one for the “coincidence theorists.”
:leaf:
I also noted a large number of other experts who didn't say he is wrong or lied but did say he's being misinterpreted....we'll have to agree to disagree and that includes the "suddenly died" implication.

Since we are debating the validity of our viewpoints perhaps this all belongs in the "Fake News" thread.

His_Highness

Just saw a squirrel stuff leaves between my solar panels and the roof; cute or problem?
The panel wires are in metal tubes. I could remove the leaves-nest with a hose.
I'd remove them immediately.....if they get comfortable they may find a way into the attic......don't let them get comfortable.

Top Bottom