Random thoughts

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
252720955-10220039819488890-3159150863797872929-n.jpg

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
Was told we could get our booster shot. Just can't decide who will pay us more to do it..... Plenty of deals - $5 Target coupon, Win Dixie $10 coupon for each jab, $25 in Walgreen's Cash, A beer from Budweiser, Krispy Kreme gives one glazed with a vax card, 10% off at Albertson, etc...

Leaning toward Win Dixie and getting the Booster one week and the Flu shot the next...wife included. Save $40 in groceries and then use the savings against my first time purchase at Surterra (60% off) to get a decent 8th or two.

Random thought....doesn't matter what it is, eventually everything works its way back to cannabis for me :brow:

shredder

Was told we could get our booster shot. Just can't decide who will pay us more to do it..... Plenty of deals - $5 Target coupon, Win Dixie $10 coupon for each jab, $25 in Walgreen's Cash, A beer from Budweiser, Krispy Kreme gives one glazed with a vax card, 10% off at Albertson, etc...

Leaning toward Win Dixie and getting the Booster one week and the Flu shot the next...wife included. Save $40 in groceries and then use the savings against my first time purchase at Surterra (60% off) to get a decent 8th or two.

Random thought....doesn't matter what it is, eventually everything works its way back to cannabis for me :brow:

My wife and I each got a booster today at Wally World but no incentives. :\

In the last month we each had our first shingles shot and a flu shot as well. I should get a shot of whiskey now, lol.

florduh

I find it hilarious that the response to demands for a higher minimum wage used to be, "well then they'll automate all the jobs at McDonald's".

With all the bitching about a "labor shortage", you'd figure they'd be rolling out all of that automation technology now. Instead, my local McDonald's drive through had a "Now Hiring 14 and 15 Year Old's!" sign this morning.

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
I find it hilarious that the response to demands for a higher minimum wage used to be, "well then they'll automate all the jobs at McDonald's".

With all the bitching about a "labor shortage", you'd figure they'd be rolling out all of that automation technology now. Instead, my local McDonald's drive through had a "Now Hiring 14 and 15 Year Old's!" sign this morning.

I dont make a habit of frequenting McDonalds... but I've been on the road quite a bit the last few months and as a result I've found myself in McD's more than I would like.

I believe every single one of them have had 3 self-order kiosks. Personally I refuse to use them and go to the counter anyway but when you get to the counter, the cashier is always just overwhelmed with putting in a simple McGriddle... sweating and out of breath like I just pulled them off the grill. Can't stand those kiosks though.

That said... just got back from Missouri a week ago, and every single fast food place between MO and NY had a "help wanted" sign up.

florduh

I believe every single one of them have had 3 self-order kiosks. Personally I refuse to use them and go to the counter anyway but when you get to the counter, the cashier is always just overwhelmed with putting in a simple McGriddle... sweating and out of breath like I just pulled them off the grill. Can't stand those kiosks though.

Right. Shit like the self order kiosks and self checkout at the grocery store aren't even "automation" either. They just offload labor on to the customer.

The last time I was at a McDonald's before this morning was maybe April. I went inside because the drive through line was wrapped around the building. There were 3-4 employees. I saw two frantically making food. The third was getting shouted at by a senior citizen who wasn't happy that his "side of pickles" was soggy.

So I used the stupid kiosk. It took me like 3 full minutes to order because it kept glitching out and returning to the start screen. Definitely didn't reduce my wait time or make the process any easier. Because they still only had 2-3 workers making food.

FE0BjWjXMAYE9ur

Last edited:

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
I also believe a portion of the labor shortage relates to how our society treats each other in the United States. I know a lot of people who hate their jobs because of how nasty they are treated by the general public, particularly if they have any role in customer service. I know it is one of the worst parts of my job.

florduh

I also believe a portion of the labor shortage relates to how our society treats each other in the United States. I know a lot of people who hate their jobs because of how nasty they are treated by the general public, particularly if they have any role in customer service. I know it is one of the worst parts of my job.

Absolutely. I remember, almost two years ago, when the people who made our food and stocked grocery shelves were "heroes". I thought mayyyyybe the aftermath of all this would be people being nicer to customer service workers. Instead, it's seemingly gotten worse.

There's also the issue of totally random scheduling that makes it impossible to plan your life around. And a demand that you be "on call" in case the boss says they're short staffed. Like, a surgeon can be "on call". But for $10/hour? Go fuck yourself.

In any case, the "labor shortage" is mostly bullshit anyway. There's a good pay and decent working conditions shortage. If they can't or won't improve working conditions, then they have to increase pay until they're fully staffed. That's how markets work. And they can afford it...

For one day, this mom and pop pizza place split the earnings evenly among the workers. I imagine a busy McDonald's is generating way more revenue and using much cheaper ingredients.

Top Bottom