Random thoughts

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
cb5fe62aeb172a162811919dfe16ccd8a02f09dbb34cb23e74b8d08146de2528.jpg

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
I just got my first Moderna shot... no idea she even did it, ha (read: super cute CVS tech :tup:).

4 weeks til my next one and then I'm not "safe" for 2 more weeks....? wtf? so my "summer" is (still) basically over?!

I gotta admit, all the "variant" press finally got to me... why risk it? Fast, easy, free... Imagine getting really sick after thinking about that...:mental:

Last edited:

shredder

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It’s simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”
― Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
Random thought of the day...."Are you smarter than a 5th grader"?

Floridumb: Summer camp for 11 year olds (too young to be vaxed) cancelled on a moments notice because a unvaccinated public school teacher contracted covid. The teacher was experiencing symptoms several days before while mask-less at the camp, got tested and wore a mask for one camp day while waiting for her results. The teacher admitted that many in her family were showing symptoms for several days prior as well but had not been tested.

The parents of those unvaccinated kids, who are dependent on that camp so they can work, must be livid.
Update: The teacher in question was not told how things were dealt with after informing the school/camp she was positive. When she found out that the remainder of the summer camp for her group was cancelled because the kids were required to quarantine she said "One of them must have given it to me". Sure, its possible one of the kids gave it to her but its also possible that her and her family are the only one's positive :ugh::bang:

I've heard some politicians say that mandates aren't necessary and that people will do the right thing without having their rights infringed upon. My random thought for today is "If you're unvaccinated and working closely with 11 year olds, isn't wearing a mask and social distancing the right thing to do since you're expected to care for these kids"?

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
With damn near the entire ice cream aisle being a sad joke these days, it looks like I’m gonna have to get an ice cream maker again. Got rid of the last one because I figured what’s the point - it costs more to buy the cream than you can buy a tub of ice cream for, but I guess that’s the same reason why the ice cream aisle sucks these days.

I still like Haagen Daz, but it’s not as good as it used to be either.

So on the quest for real ice cream, I’m on Day 5 of my homemade vanilla extract. A friend brought some vanilla bean pods back from Tahiti, apparently if you soak them whole in alcohol, you can snip the end off the pod and just squeeze out the vanilla bean paste!

E94-BBB1-E-726-E-4-D7-F-B823-BA4294-F0-F30-E.jpg

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Here’s another one for my ice cream lovers, I was pretty shocked to learn about this.

According to labeling laws, even if you use artificial vanilla flavoring, you can still call it vanilla bean ice cream if it includes vanilla beans. Obviously the economics of that do not add up at all, with a spice second only to saffron in value. So after making vanilla extract and all the flavors have been extracted, these manufacturers go so far as to re-dry the depleted vanilla bean husks, so they can grind it into a flavorless powder and sell it to ice cream makers to trick people into thinking they are getting a more premium product. Almost none of the vanilla bean products on the market actually contain true vanilla caviar, instead they use “exhausted ground vanilla beans” or “ice cream specs.” Those little bits that look like vanilla caviar are often just ground up dried husk.

On the right is pre-extraction, the left is post-extraction.

822-B0-EF6-5-FA4-4397-9-EDD-04-A194-DA6-B13.jpg

From my tastes and label reading, even most of the “super premium” ice creams are doing this. McConnell’s is the only one in my local stores that actually tastes like real vanilla bean. That true complex floral flavor, it’s like comparing real full melt hash to BHO trim shatter. No surprise it’s more expensive than all the other ones too. Never had Graeters but it’s on my list as it seems like one of the last few real ice creams left.

shredder

Here’s another one for my ice cream lovers, I was pretty shocked to learn about this.

According to labeling laws, even if you use artificial vanilla flavoring, you can still call it vanilla bean ice cream if it includes vanilla beans. Obviously the economics of that do not add up at all, with a spice second only to saffron in value. So after making vanilla extract and all the flavors have been extracted, these manufacturers go so far as to re-dry the depleted vanilla bean husks, so they can grind it into a flavorless powder and sell it to ice cream makers to trick people into thinking they are getting a more premium product. Almost none of the vanilla bean products on the market actually contain true vanilla caviar, instead they use “exhausted ground vanilla beans” or “ice cream specs.” Those little bits that look like vanilla caviar are often just ground up dried husk.

On the right is pre-extraction, the left is post-extraction.

822-B0-EF6-5-FA4-4397-9-EDD-04-A194-DA6-B13.jpg

From my tastes and label reading, even most of the “super premium” ice creams are doing this. McConnell’s is the only one in my local stores that actually tastes like real vanilla bean. That true complex floral flavor, it’s like comparing real full melt hash to BHO trim shatter. No surprise it’s more expensive than all the other ones too. Never had Graeters but it’s on my list as it seems like one of the last few real ice creams left.

We make our own vanilla extract as well. I buy beans off the net and my wife makes a tincture with it.

And we make homemade ice cream sometimes as a treat. My favorite is vanilla with fresh berries.

Our grandson is coming next week from out of state, and my mother has her 98th birthday, so no doubt we will make some more then.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
I went down that vanilla bean rabbit hole a few times. With so many hobbies going I skipped making the extract myself. I do like the Madagascar beans best for vanilla ice cream. Vanilla is my favorite flavor, even on its own, but I do love homemade wet walnut topping sometimes.

I will put in a plug for soft serve as another option to hard pack ice cream. True soft serve has become a rarity out there. Because of the low fat content it is hard to keep and store. If left churning too long in a soft serve machine it will turn to butter. Soft serve is more of a make and quickly consume ice cream (not that there is ever a lot left over). This does not work well with commercial operations so most shops with a soft serve machine use pre-made fake crap. In my mind these two issues have lead to the demise of good soft serve options. Great soft serve is very refreshing as it doesn't have all that butter fat that can make ice cream pasty on the tongue.

Here is a good recipe that works well for me:

Vanilla Soft Serve
  • 1 3/4 cups whole milk
  • 1 3/4 cups half and half
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract or 1 vanilla bean scraped
  • 1/3 cup nonfat dry milk powder
  • Pinch of kosher salt
  • Chill and churn
The dry milk powder is important as it stabilizes the ice cream. Some people will use ⅛ tsp of Xanthan Gum powder instead or in addition. I do use it but don't notice much of a difference in texture.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
@invertedisdead - Laughing Dog vanilla extract in Salt & Straw
For the low price of $13.50/pint, cheaper than tequila
Salt-n-Straw-Vanila.jpg
That looks stellar!! One heck of a relaxing triple play I’d say 😁

I decided to try Strauss Organic Vanilla Bean last night, and I thought it was very mediocre. I guess vanilla bean is a pretty hard flavor to pull off without going straight to the top!

I’m hoping my homemade extract is in the double fold range, I didn’t take any weights or measurements, but it seems well saturated. It will be fun to pop into that after a few months 😁

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
I decided to try Strauss Organic Vanilla Bean last night, and I thought it was very mediocre. I guess vanilla bean is a pretty hard flavor to pull off without going straight to the top!

I don't know the amounts, but the addition of egg yolks would seem to make it more of a frozen custard. I know I'm talking in terms of my personal tastes, but the addition of the eggs and heavy cream produce a product that is very "heavy" to me. It feels like my tongue gets coated in the butter fat and egg and I begin to lose flavor. I bet the same vanilla would taste different in another recipe.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I don't know the amounts, but the addition of egg yolks would seem to make it more of a frozen custard. I know I'm talking in terms of my personal tastes, but the addition of the eggs and heavy cream produce a product that is very "heavy" to me. It feels like my tongue gets coated in the butter fat and egg and I begin to lose flavor. I bet the same vanilla would taste different in another recipe.

That's a good point! Being born in the Midwest, I do tend to like dense and chewy ice cream, which often does have a custard base. I guess that's "French" Vanilla. I did read somewhere recently about the concept of using extract in French/custard based vanilla, and pure bean in Philly style ice cream. Seemed kind of interesting to try.

I had some Alden's vanilla bean the other day in the square tub that I did think was better than this Strauss, and it did use less cream, and also doesn't use a custard base, so you very well might be on to something. I'm not sure how many yolks were truly in the Strauss though as it didn't really have the richer color of a custard. I notice most French Vanilla's these days just have food color added to simulate the appearance of a proper custard.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
RIP Virgils Root Beer!
Picked up a 4 pack to make some real deal Floats and after one swig I could tell it’s completely ruined. After reading the ingredients list, all the herbs and spices have been removed and it now just contains “natural flavors” like every other mass produced soda pop. Virgils was better because it was truly micro brewed with real ingredients, instead of just adding flavor extractives to carbonated water.

Now it tastes like MUG in a glass bottle 😒

Razhumikin

RIP Virgils Root Beer!
Picked up a 4 pack to make some real deal Floats and after one swig I could tell it’s completely ruined. After reading the ingredients list, all the herbs and spices have been removed and it now just contains “natural flavors” like every other mass produced soda pop. Virgils was better because it was truly micro brewed with real ingredients, instead of just adding flavor extractives to carbonated water.

Now it tastes like MUG in a glass bottle 😒
Thats so sad, I loved Virgils. So hard to find a good root beer these days. Artisinal sodas are truly a lost art. Back when I lived in Boston there was a place (Mamaleh's) that makes homemade, old-school style sodas and egg creams, and there is really nothing like it.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Thats so sad, I loved Virgils. So hard to find a good root beer these days. Artisinal sodas are truly a lost art. Back when I lived in Boston there was a place (Mamaleh's) that makes homemade, old-school style sodas and egg creams, and there is really nothing like it.

Right!? They got rid of all the roots in the root beer :doh:

The new one has none of that great anise, licorice, wintergreen etc. zing that made it actually taste unique, and complex, and ...real.

I wouldn’t even know what else to get - I guess I need to try Bundaberg brand now, apparently they are still brewed with roots.

shredder

Right!? They got rid of all the roots in the root beer :doh:

The new one has none of that great anise, licorice, wintergreen etc. zing that made it actually taste unique, and complex, and ...real.

I wouldn’t even know what else to get - I guess I need to try Bundaberg brand now, apparently they are still brewed with roots.

This will leave a void that may be filled again someday as someone reinvents the wheel, lol. What's old is new again someday.

I had a great uncle that made root beer in oak barrels. (Wine as well) Quite a treat for a youngin to get a frothy glass of real root beer with a thick yellowish head on it.

kel

FuckMisogynists!
As a home brewer... I can't state just how easy making stuff like this is, just got to be super clean and patient - and not even *that* patient with soft drinks!

Oops, sorry... meant to say I have never had a virgil's, but I am sorry to hear another tradition has gone by the way - too much of this recently! Bring back the good stuff!!

Edit 2: Love this... I have the tea towel!! Never made it though, this one does seem quite complex!

Last edited:
Top Bottom