Random thoughts

shredder

As a home brewer... I can't state just how easy making stuff like this is, just got to be super clean and patient - and not even *that* patient with soft drinks!

Oops, sorry... meant to say I have never had a virgil's, but I am sorry to hear another tradition has gone by the way - too much of this recently! Bring back the good stuff!!

Edit 2: Love this... I have the tea towel!! Never made it though, this one does seem quite complex!

I made some root beer myself with a kit, from a brew site, but it was just flavorings, no actual roots, and really wasn't worth it IMHO. Have they improved?

Haven't brewed beer/wine in over 10 years (weed took it's place) but we do ferment a few things.

kel

FuckMisogynists!
Home brew beer (malted barley, hops, yeast) kits have improved massively since the early days of small cans that produced some pretty horrendous generic beer. I think a lot of students in the UK tried the Boots Chemist kits back in the day an were put off for decades (I know I was).

In the UK the Love Brewing kits are truly outstanding, the St. Peters kits are damn good too - their stout is great! Far better than 95% of pub beer even just from a conditioned bottle.

My current brews are:

A stout that has a healthy dose of Williamette hops and honestly it's like drinking blackcurrant juice, but as a beer with all the depth of complexity, bitterness and malty smoothness.

A double IPA with massive doses of Summit and Citra hops at something like 8% that is like tinned fruit salad with a hint or three of grapefruit and lime and a lovely overarching bitter orange sensation - again with the lovely bittersweet beery qualities!

And the last few bottles of a Golden Rocket pale ale that's just classic English pale ale with Cascade and Chinook hops - utterly quaffable! Very hard to resist!!

A Blonde, another American Pale Ale and an Amber Ale are in process... sat there just doin their thing - ready soon ;)

YMMV ;) as with all fermentation, cleanliness is next to godlikebrewerliness!

Cool!! I ferment loads of stuff, huge fan of kimchi! Nom nom!

Sandor Ellix Katz is your main fermentation dude - check his stuff out if you haven't already.

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
I love Root Beer floats!

Had some of this Aussie stuff for the first time recently and thought it was pretty good... at least waaaay better than the cheapo Barqs swill that I usually get if I go that route... definitely a little less sweet, iirc, so I bet it would be good in a float etc...:
1627509138318.png
Only had their ginger beer before, which is pretty good, but Reed's is better... :tup:

Kimball's in Westford is a fav!!!:

The Difference Between a Milkshake and a Frappe​

Do you know the difference between a milkshake and a frappe? How about a cabinet? Read on to learn the New England frappe drink definition.​

Aimee Tucker • May 12, 2020
When is a milkshake not a milkshake? In New England, of course, when it’s a frappe (or a cabinet). Confused? Let’s break down the delicious difference between a milkshake, frappe, and cabinet.
According to the American Heritage College Dictionary, a milkshake is a “a beverage that is made of milk, ice cream, and often flavoring and is blended or whipped until foamy.” Unless you live in New England, where a milkshake would never include ice cream. Adding ice cream makes it a “frappe” drink.
As a teenager, I worked for a popular ice cream stand, Kimball Farm, in my hometown of Westford, Massachusetts, and like most jobs dealing with food and/or “visiting” customers, I spent a decent amount of time explaining things on the menu. Some questions relating to New England ice cream flavors were normal (What’s in Frozen Pudding ice cream? You don’t want to know) but others were uniquely regional – the kinds of things a local might know (What are jimmies?), but had others feeling puzzled.
The number one “from away” question? “What’s a frappe?”
One New England chocolate frappe.

Sometimes it got very “Who’s on first” kinds of confusing. Here’s a typical re-creation:
Customer: “I’d like a chocolate milkshake, please.”
Me: “Do you mean a milkshake or a frappe?”
Customer: “I mean a milkshake – with ice cream.”
Me: “If you want ice cream, you want a frappe. A milkshake just has milk and syrup.”
Customer: “Uhm…I’d like whatever has the ice cream.”
Today I’ve made a classic chocolate frappe with 3 scoops of chocolate ice cream, a generous splash of milk, and thick drizzle of chocolate syrup. I put all of my frappe ingredients into a tall glass fridge jug with an opening that perfectly fits my immersion blender (or “stick” blender), and then pulsed away until I had a thick and rich concoction – namely, a chocolate frappe.
chocolate ice cream

All good frappes start with lots of ice cream.

I don’t know why we call the delicious mix of ice cream, milk, syrup, and sometimes malt powder a frappe (pronounced “frap”) here in New England, but when you really think about it, a milkshake shouldn’t be anything other than shaken (NOT stirred) milk and syrup. And a frappe, which sounds funny and looks elegant with those double p’s, must (of course) be the fancier of the two, meaning the one with the ice cream. It makes perfect sense.

kimball-farm-menu

The fountain menu at Kimball Farm in Jaffrey, NH. We’ll get to “tonic” another time. Also, note that prices may no longer be accurate…
Aimee Seavey
Now for those who wonder if a chocolate milkshake in New England is basically just a glass of chocolate milk, the answer is a resounding NO. Chocolate milk is the casual stirring of chocolate syrup into a glass of milk. A chocolate milkshake is the vigorous shaking (or blending) of the two until the consistency is perfectly creamy and a frothy head is formed. I used the same stick blender is a tall glass pitcher to make this drink as well.

One New England chocolate milkshake.

Finally, to make matters even more confusing, if you’re from certain parts of Rhode Island and southeastern Massachusetts, you order a cabinet.
What is a cabinet? Basically it’s the same thing as a frappe (usually coffee-flavored and made with Autocrat Coffee Syrup), but it got its name because that’s where the blender was kept. We like to keep milkshake-loving tourists on their toes here in New England!
So, readers…which name do you prefer? Milkshake, frappe, or cabinet? And which flavor is best?

kel

FuckMisogynists!
I love your post and... milkshakes!

A banana, choice of berries (usually frozen: strawberry, raspberry, mixed berries, whatever...) , vanilla essence and milk to fill up the space - blend with the stick bender in the glass until it's all mixed up and frothy!

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Why thank you, @kel...!

Here's another (not so) "Random Thought" that is on my mind... man, I love me some Paul Westerberg 'Stereo'(and 'Mono')... :tup::

Paul Westerberg - Mr. Rabbit

Ha, I took this pic literally 2 minutes ago (I was just about to post the above)... It's like 4 feet away, no wonder they're so low on food chain...!:
04200855-12A8-44E3-9F34-3582AC312138.jpeg

Last edited:

kel

FuckMisogynists!
Why thank you, @kel...!

Here's another (not so) "Random Thought" but is on my mind... man, I love me some Paul Westerberg 'Stereo'(and 'Mono')... :tup::

Paul Westerberg - Mr. Rabbit

Ha, I took this pic literally 2 minutes ago (I was just about to post the above)... It's like 4 feet away, no wonder they're so low on food chain...!:
View attachment 10766

Rabbits are so cool, have a couple of wild ones running around just outside where I live, they are so funny!

Occasionally see hares around here too, although they are much more reclusive. Disturbed one a few days ago running over a small area moor that hardly anyone ever crosses; it was huge! I reckon it was a good 5-6 Kg! Serious lagomorph! No idea if it was a jack or a jill!

shredder

I love your post and... milkshakes!

A banana, choice of berries (usually frozen: strawberry, raspberry, mixed berries, whatever...) , vanilla essence and milk to fill up the space - blend with the stick bender in the glass until it's all mixed up and frothy!

We do pretty much the same. Although we add yogurt and powdered marijuana.

We peel and freeze bananas before they go bad and add whatever berries we have around. Or sometimes frozen banana, milk and chocolate.

Last night it was Ben and Jerry's though, lol.

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
++ for the Kimball's farm recommendation @Bologna the Westford one is nice, but the one just outside of Carlisle is my favourite. Less about the attractions and all about the ice cream.

It's just struck me that last time I was in the States I could eat milk.... Now I'm going to have to boycott Kimball's because my guts can't do lactose any more! Oh god my family are going to rub that in next time I'm there 🤣

Razhumikin

++ for the Kimball's farm recommendation @Bologna the Westford one is nice, but the one just outside of Carlisle is my favourite. Less about the attractions and all about the ice cream.

It's just struck me that last time I was in the States I could eat milk.... Now I'm going to have to boycott Kimball's because my guts can't do lactose any more! Oh god my family are going to rub that in next time I'm there 🤣
Will double up on Kimball's farm recommednation, but if youre in Massachusetts anyway (and closer to Boston), my favorite ice cream in the world is from Toscanini's in Cambridge. You truly havent lived until you have some B3 (Brown Butter Brownie)

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Will double up on Kimball's farm recommednation, but if youre in Massachusetts anyway (and closer to Boston), my favorite ice cream in the world is from Toscanini's in Cambridge. You truly havent lived until you have some B3 (Brown Butter Brownie)
Yep, 2 great approaches to a glorious end...! Old school (1939), wholesome local country dairy farmstand-type ice cream vs newer (1981) more refined, almost "international" (:razz:), maybe even "perfect", city-folk style.... we like it all! And with the abundance of local hometown seasonal spots, we obviously try to make up for the short season.... :tup: :peace:

Last edited:

Razhumikin

Yep, 2 great approaches to a glorious end...! Old school (1939), wholesome local country dairy farmstand-type ice cream vs newer (1981) more refined, almost "international" (:razz:), maybe even "perfect", city-folk style.... we like it all! And with the abundance of local hometown seasonal spots, we obviously try make up for the short season.... :tup: :peace:
Maybe its just because im a native Bostonian (or Belmontian, but nobody knows where that is), but I've never found ice cream outside of New England to be up to my standards. Even in my current home of NYC the ice cream doesnt compare to what I could get at basically any little place in Mass.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
I believe the key to a great milkshake is determining how much milk do you add to the ice cream, not how much ice cream do you add to the milk.

Also, a great egg cream must be made with U-bet's syrup. That used to be common knowledge in Brooklyn.

kel

FuckMisogynists!
Found this skull on a walk over the rarely trod parts of the moors the other day and this cabbage white just died in front of me.

Lost so many friends over the last few years... cancer, heart attacks, blah... this is my memento mori on top of my speaker!

Only one life... at least only one we can be reasonably certain of... make the fucking most of it folks!

Fuck what anyone else thinks - do your thing - be good to people - but do not ever take any shit.

There's beauty in death, but not today... right?

death.jpg

Shrike

Flower Potted, Maxed, & Rio'd.
^^^Thank you for leading me to those "Honest Government Ad's", @Planck

Hilariously informative satire from our friends Down-Under.

"Nice" to see other Governments around the world are as fucking corrupt as the U.S.

Looks like we're all fucked...:rofl::rofl::rofl: :nod: :tup:

Top Bottom