Random thoughts

Tranquility

I think people randomly find what they intentionally seek.

"Most" of the countries doing the "best" job are run by men. The CNN article making a similar claim only speaks to specific women in charge of Taiwan, Germany and New Zealand while trying to make the broader case. (Women leaders are doing a disproportionately great job at handling the pandemic. So why aren't there more of them?)

I will find it interesting when good data comes out in the U.S. among the states. There you will be able to compare with some similarities with many of the variables to see who did better. You can choose party, age, sex, or any criteria you want. Comparing what are generally apples to other things generally apples might actually help people decide which criteria are important in deciding the best leaders.

Tranquility,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Personally, I find generalizations can't describe the totality of any one group. Let's face it: generalizations can be used to prove almost anything you want. For example, I can say 67 year old fat men are the best drivers. Some may disagree.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
I like portables
C6-A1-C77-A-97-BE-404-F-9-C49-A375-CBD56-FA5.jpg

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
The unfortunate and devastating truth that we in this country have been forced to learn is that it doesn’t matter how wealthy or knowledgeable or altruistic we may be as a nation, ignorant and selfish leadership can and will so overwhelm efforts to do the right thing that the nation can be paralyzed and driven to excruciating depths of moral and medical destruction.

With all of the ready examples that mankind has witnessed, I never would have believed that my own nation might refuse to learn from the wise words of Edmund Burke… “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

Tranquility

I just got back from getting lunch at In & Out. After a bit of yelling back and forth around the Plexiglas barrier and each of our masks, I asked for some extra salt. She grabbed a small handful of the individual salt packets, PLACED THEM IN A SMALL BAG, and then handed the bag over to me.

WTF?

I guarantee she touched the bag every bit as much as the salt packets. What was the safety theater trying to prevent?

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
In truth they think that contagion is like 90% (or more) person to person rather than getting it from objects. I never wear gloves anyway, I just wash my hands a lot and keep hand sanitizer in my car that I use when returning before I even touch the steering wheel. If everyone always wore masks we would have a much better chance of beating this thing...

vapirtoo

The covid is spread primarily as an aerosol , tiny microscopic droplets expelled from the mouth and nose.
If people would wear masks and SHUT THE FUCK UP when they are in public areas the virus would halt.
I'm in Costco and the person in front of me, who is six feet away, starts yelling at her partner, who is 20 ft away,
to pick up some last minute item. I was just shocked, at their lack of concern and stayed quiet.
People do not fully comprehend this pandemic. People from Queens N.Y. shop in droves at this Costco.
EXPOSURE!

Tranquility

She is protecting herself - passing small packets of salt means her hand could touch your hand. In a bag, you touch one side, she touches the other. Now it becomes up to you to protect yourself (by wearing gloves while opening packet or disinfecting, etc).
Good point. Pity her mechanics were wrong. We did touch hands, although I thought it was just the happenstance of a magic moment. I have had some at other places pass the bag with tongs. That has ended at those places. I'll have to ask why. Here, the cashier touched my money. At least it was a different person.

Not meant to have been a troll on the virus. Just pointing out something ridiculous. It seems some find it not ridiculous. That is crazy to me.

We're starting to get the data in on how the virus behaves. Real data that, while massaged, is hard to deny. Some states will have been successful in keeping the death toll and economic destruction down and others will not be as successful. The value of having 50 laboratories is that you can compare results from their different strategies. Some of the choices the governors made were targeted on the unique situations in each state/county and others were not. Will the southern states do better than the northern? Democrat run do better than Republican? Small states do better than large? Women run better than man? Secular run better than run by a person who professes some religion?

The data will be there soon for everyone to see.

There could be some comparison between countries too. I know some have claimed single-payer systems were more successful, for instance. One weird thing, here's a report on an issue for an Oxford vaccine trial (in Britain). Low virus rate leaves Oxford vaccine trial with 'only 50% chance' In it, there is a claim there is only a 50% chance of success of getting a vaccine. The reason is, there is NOT ENOUGH spreading going on:
"Hill said that of 10,000 people recruited to test the vaccine in the coming weeks — some of whom will be given a placebo — he expected fewer than 50 people to catch the virus. If fewer than 20 test positive, then the results might be useless, he warned.

"We're in the bizarre position of wanting COVID to stay, at least for a little while. But cases are declining."
"

Let's give our thoughts and prayers that COVID stays around until we get a vaccine. Otherwise we might not cure anything.

Tranquility,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
An easy way to test the effectiveness of these masks at halting the transmission of aerosols is to simply exhale a vape hit through one.

YMMV but with all my masks the aerosol went right through. The two guys I saw wearing paint booth respirators seemed like the most powerful option.

Last edited:
Top Bottom