• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Qwiso Frustrations

RottenTaco

So I'm sitting here with my final product and its gooey as all hell at room temperature. Freezing it in a zip lock makes it to where I can handle it at least. The iso has completely been evaporated but it's still just.... goo. Although I smoked a bit and I am blazed, I'm disappointed in this. I'm trying to make shatter here! Haha. Anyways, could this be because it was in the iso too long? I had everything as cold as possible. Could this be because my herb was a mixture of shake, 2nd wash green, and rosin chips? All filtered through unbleached coffee filters. Uhg. I don't know what to do from here and I'm getting frustrated digging through forums and running into dead ends. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

RottenTaco,
Reactions: shredder

shredder

So I'm sitting here with my final product and its gooey as all hell at room temperature. Freezing it in a zip lock makes it to where I can handle it at least. The iso has completely been evaporated but it's still just.... goo. Although I smoked a bit and I am blazed, I'm disappointed in this. I'm trying to make shatter here! Haha. Anyways, could this be because it was in the iso too long? I had everything as cold as possible. Could this be because my herb was a mixture of shake, 2nd wash green, and rosin chips? All filtered through unbleached coffee filters. Uhg. I don't know what to do from here and I'm getting frustrated digging through forums and running into dead ends. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

You could try winterizing it with ethanol (190 alcohol).

You melt the oil in the alcohol, freeze it a couple days, filter again, then render it down, however you've been doing.

Winterizing will clean it up, maybe not to shatter, but cleaner.

shredder,

ginolicious

Qwiso should be quick. Hence the name. Shouldn't soak more than 20-30 seconds. Also, did you purge after? I tried several times with AVB. Gave up. I rosin press my kief with a hair straightener or biy legit shatter from thc delivery and it's some good shit.

ginolicious,
Reactions: shredder

RottenTaco

Oh i purged it. With a fan blowing across the top from a few feet away. No heat, then low heat. It's been well over 24 hours. Still as gooey as ever. So messy.

RottenTaco,

herbivore21

Unless it is very frosty shake, be prepared to get shitty results with QWISO. Trim and shake should always be reserved for dry sift/bubble runs IME. DIY solvent methods get shitty results from trim by comparison.

2nd wash green
If your first wash was not too long (<30 seconds, preferably <20 seconds), then a second wash of nugs can achieve clear shatter with QWISO.

rosin chips
Depending on how many times and at what temps these were pressed, this is likely to get the best results of all of the starting material. You should wash rosin chips separately from flower or trim in any case, as rosin chips require minimal wash times (10-20 seconds, sometimes less). You should always freeze the rosin chips and alcohol prior to the wash.

My guess is that a combination of excessive wash times and trying to extract from very different kinds of material at once have each contributed to your situation. How are you purging btw (be specific, name specific temps, if you did not measure or control temps in this way, please be clear about that)? Your purge process may also contribute to the final product.

If excessive wash times or problematic purge technique were responsible, winterizing your product with ethanol is not likely to help very much.

E0x

i make qwiso with the abv using ethyl alcohol 95% , not i dea if this is right or not but i always end up with a very sticky result that can not be scrap easy in room temp , that is why i keep my in the freeze to easy scrap it and dab it.

E0x,

herbivore21

i make qwiso with the abv using ethyl alcohol 95% , not i dea if this is right or not but i always end up with a very sticky result that can not be scrap easy in room temp , that is why i keep my in the freeze to easy scrap it and dab it.
If you get stable shatter from AVB, then you have not done an effective job of vaping that AVB, and I would contend that the AV part is simply not true. ;)

In other words, the results you get from AVB are to be expected :) Your use of cold to make it easier to handle is a good idea, and I recommend it to anybody who has material that doesn't shatter.

herbivore21,
Reactions: E0x

RottenTaco

After I let the iso evaporate naturally with no heat for a couple hours there was no visible liquid. I transferred it to parchment paper and was like ewwww it's just goo. Lemme try a heat purge to see if I can get some more stuff out and maybe it would thicken up. I had the heat set at 220. Hot enough to evaporate H2O, Iso, but not hot enough to burn Thc. I would let it muffin, then I'd try and flip it. I did this 4 times. Could I have over worked it? Next time I'll wash different product separately from sure to avoid that adding to my situation

RottenTaco,

stinkytofus

anyone tried making qwiso ? What was ur yields ?

I got .54 and .61 with 5g's each

10-11%

Is it because of my buds ?

stinkytofus,

AllDayToker

I use to make qwiso, but got tired of scraping and the yields weren't great to me. I would use sugar trim and get around 15% return, and only 10% of that was a high quality light color. The other 5% was lower quality darker stuff.

It came out like shatter every time though, each grade quality too. Here was my process.

I have a wash jar, jars of the material, and my iso all in the freezer. Everything stays in there so they are as cold as they can get. Next I do my three washes. I pour the iso and material in the wash jar and put back into freezer. Light stirring, no shaking, and let it soak. First wash is 1 minute, next is 5 minutes, last is 25 minutes. Once soaking is done I strain through non bleached coffee filters into Pyrex pans. Lastly I let them sit in front of a fan until alcohol evaporates. I apply a very low heat, around 90 to 100 degrees, for a short amount of time, just get the material just soft enough to scrape, otherwise it stays as a dust that's hard to work with and gets everywhere.

That's it. Stable shatter every time with no effort. I found when you apply little to no heat for the entire process, that's when I started getting consistent shatter or soft shatter, and no sappy gunk.

As I said before the good quality stuff is in the first two washes, the 3rd wash is low yield and quality, but still better then say reclaim, or unpurge oil!

Last edited:

stinkytofus

Is there any point in decarbing ? Or the decarbed wash will come out dark green ?

I did 4 qwiso runs but the hi wasnt that good, supposedly they are mids and purple kush (2 each)

And my return was bad, like 11%

I did 30 second quick washes

stinkytofus,
Top Bottom