Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

ballin1

Sup! So I think a piece of bud fell down into the PD from the stem. Normally, I just tap all the crumbs out, but this time, I heard something rattling inside at the bottom of the PD. It started when I blew into the opening at the top, so I think it was a crumb that fell down into the bottom. Now its rattling and I can't get it out!

Anyone else have this? It must be kind of common. Any suggestions on fixes?

Damn! Its really fucking annoying. It makes the PD seem cheap, you know? Rattle, rattle. Argh! First time I've been kind of pissed off at my PD.

I need a fix. Please tell me there's a fix and that I don't have to hear the rattle forever.

ballin1,

max

Out to lunch
I can't believe you'd hear a rattle from a piece of bud that dropped down. And if it came from the vapor tube, it'll be small enough to come back out (unless whatever it is got caught on something). Are all your screen retainer clips accounted for? Hard to believe one of those would just fall out though. I've banged my unit on the palm of my hand many times to clear any crumbs. I've also used canned air on it. Never a rattling noise. I'd send Tom an email and see what he thinks.

max,

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
B - Sup! So I think a piece of bud fell down into the PD from the stem. Normally, I just tap all the crumbs out, but this time, I heard something rattling inside at the bottom of the PD. It started when I blew into the opening at the top, so I think it was a crumb that fell down into the bottom. Now its rattling and I can't get it out! Anyone else have this? It must be kind of common. Any suggestions on fixes? Damn! Its really fucking annoying. It makes the PD seem cheap, you know? Rattle, rattle. Argh! First time I've been kind of pissed off at my PD. I need a fix. Please tell me there's a fix and that I don't have to hear the rattle forever.
Funny coincidence. Was using my PD and heard rattle (puzzled me). I tapped/shook it until it fell out but could not see what it was. Later I noticed my stem was missing the top clip which had been getting worn from wear & tear.

Maybe that was the rattle in my PD/is the rattle in yours? HTH ;)

Progress,

ballin1

Well...checked my stems for missing clips and they're all there. It definitely happened when I was tapping it and then blowing into the opening to get crumbs out. It sounds like a tiny pebble is in there.

ballin1,

Purple-Days

Ballin, sometimes when soldering there will be a drop of solder that sticks to the wood inside. After soldering I shake and check for that but if the droplet hides and is stuck firm, well... I really try to avoid this, loading my solder tip away from the work and trying not to put too much solder on the work itself. That's about the only thing I can think of that would rattle in the bottom. There are two stainless screws with washers down there, but they are run in tight and no forces are on them that would cause them to loosen.

Purple-Days,

ballin1

Hmm...will the solder remain in there forever (will I ever be able to tap it out)? And will it effect functionality at all?

ballin1,

Purple-Days

Hmmm... I know of this happening once before and the little silver pellet fell out. Hard to predict the outcome.

No, it will not affect anything (assuming that is what it is). All connections and wires in there are separated by a lot more than the diameter of a solder droplet.

Purple-Days,

High n Dry

i had the same problem with the Pd had a rattle and i did shake out 1 small piece of solder i still have a small rattle i can live with it because my Pd make me so Happy! :D

High n Dry,

tradhead

Ok after the IInhale died after 2 .1/2 months :mad:I just bought the PD thanks folks for this great thread:)

tradhead,

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
TH - I just bought the PD thanks folks for this great thread :)
Welcome aboard the PD train. The steam engine is going at a constant 190 C (according to the conductor of this train, Tom ;) )
P - Funny coincidence. Was using my PD and heard rattle (puzzled me). I tapped/shook it until it fell out but could not see what it was. Later I noticed my stem was missing the top clip which had been getting worn from wear & tear. Maybe that was the rattle in my PD/is the rattle in yours? HTH ;)
Even funnier follow-up...I found the clip that was missing buried in the dirty, tiny, glass beads that were soaking in my Goonshine (moonshine Gin). Guess my noise might have been a tiny piece of solder too? :shrug:

edit:
Response to comments below:
TH - I gave up tobacco 15yrs ago, smoked an awfull lt o weed since then so I started giving up on combustion about 8yrs ago, made a regular milky drink in the morning, tried a vaporiser a few ys ago but ?It didnt last long. So just ate my ganja. It just happened that in the last couple of yrs I didnt notice missing the weed, untill I got back to my place in Spain and was faced with pounds of it! where upon I would smoke a spliff and back to my wicked ways. So last time I went I bought the II and lo and behold I didnt smoke that spliff, I vaped... now I feel so much better for it. When that II went and bust on me I toked on a pipe. YUK how did I manage to do that for all those years? wouldnt go back to smoke for anything. now my II died I have bought a few vaps, but I really want to avoid any chance of combustion. I got the vaporgenie for super portability and the PD as my main stay. I actually went and got a vp600 I think, but I doubt I will use it much, looks pretty tacky.
:2c: It seems like this would be great instead of (or before?) your fairly long and inconsistent comment in the I-I forum (this comment seems IMO to be a much more insightful/objective/concise account of your vaporizing experience (don't you love that word, 'experience'--you will about 45 minutes after your PD arrives ;) ).
TH - Still not even half way through this thread. So Im off back to page 26! see ya. :p
:lol: Funny :lol: But, seriously, there are many 'nuggets' of great PD information and great tips throughout this thread (and some others if you find yourself still wanting more :D )

EDIT 2: I'll erase these parts when we are done, cool? Inconsistent because it seemed to go from topic to topic (covering some good stuff after some may have already given up) unlike your other post (the one I suggested you add/use). Just my humble :2c: (definitely meaning no offense :) ) Thank you for the response.

Progress,

tradhead

Yeah, cant wait! Well actually Nowadays Im used to abstaining for months at a time, so I can :)

I gave up tobacco 15yrs ago, smoked an awfull lt o weed since then so I started giving up on combustion about 8yrs ago, made a regular milky drink in the morning, tried a vaporiser a few ys ago but ?It didnt last long. So just ate my ganja. It just happened that in the last couple of yrs I didnt notice missing the weed, untill I got back to my place in Spain and was faced with pounds of it! where upon I would smoke a spliff and back to my wicked ways. So last time I went I bought the II and lo and behold I didnt smoke that spliff, I vaped... now I feel so much better for it. When that II went and bust on me I toked on a pipe. YUK how did I manage to do that for all those years? wouldnt go back to smoke for anything.

now my II died I have bought a few vaps, but I really want to avoid any chance of combustion.
I got the vaporgenie for super portability and the PD as my main stay. I actually went and got a vp600 I think, but I doubt I will use it much, looks pretty tacky.

Still not even half way through this thread.

So Im off back to page 26! see ya.:p

response to edit above:
Inconsistent? in what way? I simply explained my experience of the II (and team), both before it broke and after.Before it broke it was great, after it broke it was not! (plus my opinions of said equipment and team):cool:

anyhow back to page 34 :)

tradhead,

tradhead

Tom, If yer out there I have a question that perhaps you(or others ) could help me.
I ask because of the discussion back on page 35.

It relates to voltage. Ok so If you take a standard 12v wall wart and measure its actual out put voltage IME they actually put out close to 14v. . So now, the PD runs on 12V. I have a 12v system at home fed by solar panels and wind generator, this system actually puts our close to 14v , (as do most 12 wall warts unless regulated).

So are you saying that my 12v system is not suitable for the PD? as its not a moving car! I have a lot of 12v gear as you can imagine, my recording studio, vacuum cleaner, sound system , lights, etc.etc etc

The length and thickness of the wire are also important as they act as a resistor... I am a bit worried now I hope you can clarify this.

I have had numerous issues with 12v electricity! Which is why I measure the output from 12 v transformers. I dont want to invert the 12 to 240, (or120, I have both) then to transform the 240 back to 12v ( which is actually 13.9! )though I have done so...
cheers

tradhead,

sethhobrin

Ok guys. So I have a pretty nice stash of vapped herb now. What do you guys do with yours? Mine vaped herb is not dark brown it is just light brown with some bits of green here and there...

Would it make sense to have another vaporizer like a vapor bros to put this stuff through a second more intense round of vaping?

sethhobrin,

tradhead

cook it up , well thats what I do, mix it up with fresh herb,:fry in butter, add honey,(+ coconut or cinnamon etc ) and pretoasted ground grain,(Gofio) a bit of milk... form into balls frost and there ya go... :-)

tradhead,

ILoveRadiohead!

sethhobrin said:
Ok guys. So I have a pretty nice stash of vapped herb now. What do you guys do with yours? Mine vaped herb is not dark brown it is just light brown with some bits of green here and there...
The avb produced from most PDs is only slightly browned and part of that I think depends on the qualities of the herb used (i.e. dryness, strain, grind). Plus I've found that the ambient temperature affects the color a tiny amount as well and if the house temp is 58deg the avb is more slightly green then brown as opposed to the avb color when the house is 75deg.
sethhobrin said:
Would it make sense to have another vaporizer like a vapor bros to put this stuff through a second more intense round of vaping?
You could definitely do that but the flavor of the vapor would not taste nearly as good as the "fresh" hits. Plus you unleash more the sleepy and heavy body effects when vaping at a higher temp. Another alternative is just to cook with the PD remains or make ISO hash. Also if you do intend on cooking with the AVB the less vaped your herb is the more potent your cooked goods are so you aren't loosing anything by not vaping a second time at higher temps.

ILoveRadiohead!,

HoneyAir

Quick wash with isopropyl alcohol... two minutes max. Shake it for a while, let it sit...

THC and CBN can sit just fine in the alcohol, plant matter cannot (will start leaching bad tasting stuff after two minutes) so you absolutely have to strain it through a coffee filter or better.

It dries at the bottom of a glass dish and a razor blade scrapes it up when completely dry.

If you want to vape with it, let the sticky stuff roll in some herb until completely coated and dry enough to handle.

HoneyAir,

tradhead

Phew! made it to the end!! that was/is quite a thread!

A few people ask about drying their herb, so here is how I do it.

Firstly light and heat are the two main enemy's of THC, so I use neither. I hang my plants for several months in a dark room plastered with clay and whitewash. this does the job nicely.
Then I store inside brown paper bags inside a sealed jar or tins . The paper, absorbs moisture, I also use newspaper.
For smaller quantities I recomend placing in the brown bags somewhere thats dry. A commercial dehumidifier also works well. As a last resort for quick drying I put it in the hot press(airing cupboard)inside brown paper bags.

So thats it, put it in a paper bag in the dark somewhere dry.

tradhead,

Jedu

My PD came pretty beat, scratches on the side and what not. Also has a crack on the top, do I have to worry about it at all?

Jedu,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
Jedu said:
My PD came pretty beat, scratches on the side and what not. Also has a crack on the top, do I have to worry about it at all?
i would mail tom and pam about that

You WILL get taken care of...thats not up to toms standard of making a vaporizer..im sure of it! You'll get dealt with faster if u e-mail them

:peace: and ;pd;

Hennessy1414,

hazy

combustion fucker
Manufacturer
tradhead said:
If you take a standard 12v wall wart and measure its actual out put voltage IME they actually put out close to 14v. . So now, the PD runs on 12V. I have a 12v system at home fed by solar panels and wind generator, this system actually puts our close to 14v , (as do most 12 wall warts unless regulated)
A regulated power supply will show a higher voltage when not under load. Once the load is applied, the voltage will sag to around its rated output. Solar panels can output a voltage much higher than 12V, and batteries need about 13.8V for charging. The battery charger takes care of regulation for charging the batteries. Once charged, the batteries themselves should output about 12V, which should be suitable for the PD.

hazy,

ILoveRadiohead!

Jedu said:
Was the outside box damaged at all? If not then maybe the cosmetics your talking about might be part of the natural wood grain. A portion of my PD looks scuffed if you call it that in some types of lighting but if you examine it closely you can see its part of the natural grain. Also mine has a thin straight dark line near the bottom and very top that could also be mistaken for a crack but again is only part of the grain when examined.

Do you have a digital camera to post pics online?

ILoveRadiohead!,

Purple-Days

Long day, just getting around to checking in... asallways an e-mail (edit: oops lost part of a sentence.) to us will get a quicker response.

I just got with Jedu (e-mailed him) and we will see that he has a good unit. But you make good points about the wood having individual character, Radio. But he may have a crack, it's possible. Even cherry sometimes mis-behaves (after turning and boring) and my poor eyes may have missed it. Good reason for Pammy doing all final inspections now days. I just can't see detail and a fine sanding scratch or check can get by me. As usual trying to improve in any way I/we can,

Hazy nailed the voltage issue, it seems. Thanks.

Purple-Days,

Frickr

well i just ordered a cherry unit with the redwood billybowl. i cant wait for it to come in

Frickr,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
...and now your life is complete. glad your in the club man.

PD REVOLUTION!!!! ;pd; ;pd; ;pd;

I just checked BTW and my ;pd; has two small cracks and some spots where you *could* mistake it for small skuffs

these are looks BTW...no damages on this end! just a hand turned, American made, lead free vaporizer :D

:peace: and ;pd;

Hennessy1414,
Top Bottom