Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
All good points, Max. Also, I mentioned that I found the PD hits to be "narrow' as opposed to the depth of the SSV hits a few weeks ago, so there's plenty of user info about the PD to make an informed purchase.

Having used the SSV a few nights ago, i will say that i believe that the PD is probably more efficient than the SSV and the hits are much more consistent, but not as deep and intense as the SS, but to me equally satisfying and tasty. However, the effect is pretty much the same, and the PD hits are wonderfully potent and go down easy, so that's good, right?

If there was anything critical for me to say about the PD, believe me, it would have been said. As it happens, there's just not.

Tom put so much into the design, quality and construction of these vapes, he's so open and friendly and informative after the purchase, and the price is so reasonable that i feel that the PD deserves to be heralded, defended and stuck up for at every turn and I'm happy to do it. This high level of enterprise is a rarity. I bet if the "Tokin GL" person who is connected with 7th Floor had one he'd give it a thumb's up also, regardless if it's different than the SSV, because it's a very cool vape, period.

I'm not even sure that it's true that the PD is "not for everyone." Why not? Why woudn't it be? It's simple, easy to use, well made and works well. I think it's truer that vapes like the Volcano or the Vapor Genie may not be for everyone, and i think it's even truer that heat gun/glass bong vapes are DEFINITELY not for everybody. They're definitely not for me.

max said:
spyder said:
That is all I was trying to say and the message I was trying to get across... which may have been said but the whole one topic and lets post as much as we can under it theory makes it hard to see if something has been mentioned... :disgust:

Now we have a few more folks give some honest feedback (not saying people were not being honest...just not giving all the details...which will help people choose wisely.

Max has a great review....

I think I can sum up MY OPINION in a few sentence...

If a dug out system (one hitter) is what you are aim for...then the P-D may be the Vape solution...

Just like a dug out can be used all day for all your needs...I would not be happy if that was my only means to consume.

P-D has it place... some it may be the first and only... other it may be their portable solution....other's may think it pain to consume that way.

Too each his own... but choose wisely!
I'd be interested in hearing some of the details on the PD that were left out, since I always try to be thorough. And I disagree with the one hitter description. You'd have to load light and hit it really big to drain a bowl with one hit. There may be 'hit and run' occasions where you'd want to do that, but certainly not as a rule. With my normal load I never get less than 3 hits and with finely ground herb more.

To repost: "One recent load consisted of very fine, dry herb, and I got 6-8 good hits from it. The number of hits with this very small bowl can obviously vary a lot according to the consistency of the weed."

Since your complaint, quoted below, seems to be that the PD lacks a big punch and you didn't get details on that, I'll list some previous details I posted (and a couple from jeff).

"I equate it to a dug out system... if you like to take a couple small hits and be done for AWHILE.... this MIGHT be the vape for you. If you are looking to use it for a session... this is probably not for you.. get something with some ballz that will put knuckles to you."

By the way my response to your statement- "If you are looking to use it for a session... this is probably not for you.." is a question. What kind of unusual and narrowly defined definition do you have for the term "session" that disqualifies this vape and others? You seem to be saying that only big hitting vapes are worthy of a "session". Since you like detailed info you'd be much better off saying that the PD is probably not for you if you like big hitting vapes. That way you wouldn't be including everyone in your 'big hitters only' catagory. You shouldn't apply your personal criteria to all vapers. I know a few people who don't care to have knuckles put to them. My wife can barely handle the PD hits. :lol:

----

"I was getting the urge for some big hits last night, but I was feeling way too good to fetch the SSV and hook it up."

"As much as I like my SSV for big hits, I find myself using the PD a lot for pure ease of use."

"...the Vapo has pretty much lost its starting position. For me it's the SSV and PD..."

"I still love the big Surfer hits, but the PD is a nice contrast."

And this one spells out the difference pretty clearly IMO-

"Yeah, it's a coincidence that jeff and I both own the Surfer. I really only compare them on the basis of quality and safety. I don't look at them as competing models. They're too dissimilar. I'll admit I enjoy the vapor experience more with the SSV, due to the big volume (but smooth) hits it can provide, but stealth and portability are important to me too, so if I can only have one , I'd have to go with the more versatile PD."

And quoting jeffp:

"it's great for one person, it's not a group vaporizer. my silver surfer seems more suited for passing around."

"it doesn't lend itself to a comparison to the silver surfer - but since that's my other vape i am comparing it in my mind. with friends over, it's the silver surfer."

So all these statements point out the difference between the vape with the quarter inch bowl and the big hitting Surfer. I won't speak for jeff, but I clearly stated multiple times that the PD is not the big hitting vape the Surfer is. Even if you found some statements that led you to believe the PD is a big hitter, the statements quoted above should have been more than enough to prompt some questions on your part before you suggested it to a friend, who obviously shares your liking for big hitters.

So as far as I'm concerned, "all the details...which will help people choose wisely" were there in black and white. And your complaint that "the whole one topic and lets post as much as we can under it theory makes it hard to see if something has been mentioned...", just doesn't hold water with me. It was mentioned multiple times.

jeffp,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
well actually there's ONE thing I'd like to see possibly in a updated version;
late at night when i'm fucked up and the light is very dim i keep missing when i try and mate the tube (female) to the vaporizer.
i AM getting better at it but it occured to me that t would be nice if the male was maybe brightly colored, i guess vegetable based purple, day-glo, ("this goes HERE!) to make it completely idiot proof.
Orange actually would be ideal.

jeffp,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Sounds like that could be a user mod. Maybe a little stick on LED or something on the inner surface of the wood to light it up. I guess those little tritium glow dots are out... being radioactive.

vtac,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
that's a cool idea. or maybe just reading glasses.

vtac said:
Sounds like that could be a user mod. Maybe a little stick on LED or something on the inner surface of the wood to light it up. I guess those little tritium glow dots are out... being radioactive.

jeffp,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
vapor_cloud said:
Wasn't thru lack of warm up time but more a dodgy connection between my DC wall wart and the PD. I don't think it was getting enough current to get fully up to temp. I did have to spend some extra bucks for a heavy duty wall unit but its worth it.
So the first wall adapter you bought was loose in its connection to the unit and you bought a different one that fits better?

Hopefully your new adapter is functioning correctly. Maybe for future international orders it would be better to just ship the stock wall adapter which is known to work properly and then get a universal voltage converter to plug it in?

http://www.google.com/search?q=international+voltage+converter

vtac,

vaporcloud

lurking kiwi
So the first wall adapter you bought was loose in its connection to the unit and you bought a different one that fits better?

Hopefully your new adapter is functioning correctly. Maybe for future international orders it would be better to just ship the stock wall adapter which is known to work properly and then get a universal voltage converter to plug it in?
Yeah that could be the answer but is probably adding some unneeded cost. I'm not 100% sure it was the fault of the first adapter ... perhaps more user error ;) I know the PD is marketed as an 'Easy to Use Convection Vaporizer' but I found it quite hard to master at first. Maybe I was expecting too much but what ever it was I had to transition to a different vapping technique than I was use too. Take my time ... long slow draws with very dry product. With a full loaded bowl its impossible to draw fast anyway coz the air flow gets quite restricted. And although the hita arnt big like aq whip vape they are very pure and you certainly get wrecked.

But haha in all my difficulty in getting the PD wired the wife used it no problems straight up ... she takes 2-3 small puffs on each bowl and is perfectly happy. Infact she loves the PD.

vaporcloud,

Purple-Days

Hi VTAC, sending the wall adapter on international orders won't work. It's AC/AC and meant to work on 60Hz. Lots of international folks are on 50Hz and will get a lower than vape temperature. So internationals get a discount for the US/Canada wall supply. There is also a weight/postage savings which is passed along.:)

Outside North America it has to be up to the user to supply a 'regulated' 12V DC power supply with the right output plug end. Multiple e-mail probably.

You should see all the different wall plugs of the world...:lol:

max, jeffp and vapor_cloud, thanks to you all for trying to clear up what a PD is and is not.

And YES, I have said that a Purple-Days is not for everyone.

I do not believe there is a 'BEST' vaporizer. Each person has a different need.

An example: My buddy has a huge Jet lathe, completely variable speed, the head will pivot and you can turn huge bowls. I own a Jet mini lathe with pulley speed control (always set the same it seems). Dave can't do some things I can and I can't do some things Dave can. 75% of the time either lathe would handle a typical project. Comparing what was available with what we needed we ended up with different products. . We both own very high quality products. They both do the job they were intended for. We each choose wisely.

Jeffp, in the dark try tipping the stem in at a 45 and use the inner rim of the wood chassis to help guide you to the center. I think it helps.

Vapor_Cloud, sorry "easy to use" wasn't so easy at first. :/ Loading technique can take a bit. But like rolling joints or riding a bike you get it pretty quick I imagine. Pam uses the soda straw tech, it makes sure that you have a sufficient airpath. I just grab a pinch and stuff it in and sometimes over stuff (greedy I guess). I should use the straw tech too I think.

How many hits depends on the weed. How potent, how dry, how fine, load packing, length of draw. Most time I think of it as a good draw followed by a clean-up draw, that third draw won't yield much but for economics is probably worth a try. Your mileage may vary. Kief or pollen changes everything, :lol:

As always: Questions, comments and suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Tom

Purple-Days,

max

Out to lunch
Tom put so much into the design, quality and construction of these vapes, he's so open and friendly and informative after the purchase, and the price is so reasonable that i feel that the PD deserves to be heralded, defended and stuck up for at every turn and I'm happy to do it. This high level of enterprise is a rarity. I bet if the "Tokin GL" person who is connected with 7th Floor had one he'd give it a thumb's up also, regardless if it's different than the SSV, because it's a very cool vape, period.

I'm not even sure that it's true that the PD is "not for everyone." Why not? Why woudn't it be? It's simple, easy to use, well made and works well. I think it's truer that vapes like the Volcano or the Vapor Genie may not be for everyone, and i think it's even truer that heat gun/glass bong vapes are DEFINITELY not for everybody. They're definitely not for me.
Well I can agree that if you like to get a lot of vapor in a hurry, ala bong hits, the PD would probably not satisfy some people as an 'only vape'. After using only my PD for 2-3 nights in a row, I loaded a bowl in the Surfer last night and really enjoyed the higher volume hits, at least until I started getting some 'already vaped' taste. That's the tradeoff with a standard sized whip bowl IMO. Putting a nice sized load in the bowl provides some big and tasty hits, but during the 2nd half of the bowl the taste goes downhill. If you load a small amount in order to maintain a better taste during the bowl, you're compromising the size of the hits and therefore the advantage of using the Surfer over the PD decreases somewhat. But even though I don't use the Surfer as much now, I'm still addicted to it. I'm compelled to return at intervals for my high volume hits. My wife OTOH, can live quite happily with the PD alone. Different strokes...

But for someone who wants a versatile vape and can't afford to buy two units, I think the PD is impossible to beat (assuming you can live with its particular limitations) due to the "design, quality and construction" you mentioned. Tom has hit on a great design in improving the heat exchanger (both performance and installation). The unleaded parts and tank-like construction give me peace of mind. And I'm 100% convinced that nobody else is going to take the time and effort on the outer construction and finish that Tom does. Not at this price.

I'm not 100% sure it was the fault of the first adapter
Is there an electrical difference in the two? Like a regulated voltage supply vs. unregulated? That would make a big difference.

I know the PD is marketed as an 'Easy to Use Convection Vaporizer' but I found it quite hard to master at first. Maybe I was expecting too much but what ever it was I had to transition to a different vapping technique than I was use too. Take my time ... long slow draws with very dry product. With a full loaded bowl its impossible to draw fast anyway coz the air flow gets quite restricted.
Maybe it's because I've used the similar (same quarter inch size bowl) in bowl design Vapolution so much, but I had no problem with the PD as far as drawing hits. The method I always use is to avoid closing my mouth around the bowl. You can't take a normal draw that way. I don't even do that with the SSV, which has much more of a free flow nature, air wise. I always keep my lips parted to some extent so it's much easier to take a nomal-like breath during a hit. Maybe this is why I dislike 'carbs'. I kind of use my mouth as a carb. Won't clear a bong like that, but I've never been much of a bong fan, and the 'mouth carb' works fine for vapes. I just find getting a certain amount of outside air with my hits makes them easier and more predictable. If my PD bowl is more packed than loose, I just get less vapor per hit and more hits per bowl. I do try to poke a tight bowl a couple of times before I dump it to loosen it up, but I usually find that the PD gets it all cooked.

I'm interested in starting an SSVPD club (sounds like a disease or a police dept :lol: ). Since jeff and I already qualify for membership, and vtac, having placed an order, is technically qualified, we have a base group to start with. We can meet on the 6th Wednesday of every month to discuss the merits and frequency of use of these two vapes. We could join with the DBPD club once a year for a convention. :science: :party:

edit: looks like Tom's already covered the 'regulated' power supply issue. As Roseanne Roseannadanna used to say, never mind.

max,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
We should. And I think it should also be a public access TV show with studio audience and guests, arguing about which unit gets the user more fucked up, with tips and tricks.

jeffp,

spyder

Purple-Days said:
And YES, I have said that a Purple-Days is not for everyone.

I do not believe there is a 'BEST' vaporizer. Each person has a different need.

An example: My buddy has a huge Jet lathe, completely variable speed, the head will pivot and you can turn huge bowls. I own a Jet mini lathe with pulley speed control (always set the same it seems). Dave can't do some things I can and I can't do some things Dave can. 75% of the time either lathe would handle a typical project. Comparing what was available with what we needed we ended up with different products. . We both own very high quality products. They both do the job they were intended for. We each choose wisely.

Tom
max said:
Well I can agree that if you like to get a lot of vapor in a hurry, ala bong hits, the PD would probably not satisfy some people as an 'only vape'. After using only my PD for 2-3 nights in a row, I loaded a bowl in the Surfer last night and really enjoyed the higher volume hits, at least until I started getting some 'already vaped' taste. That's the tradeoff with a standard sized whip bowl IMO. Putting a nice sized load in the bowl provides some big and tasty hits, but during the 2nd half of the bowl the taste goes downhill. If you load a small amount in order to maintain a better taste during the bowl, you're compromising the size of the hits and therefore the advantage of using the Surfer over the PD decreases somewhat. But even though I don't use the Surfer as much now, I'm still addicted to it. I'm compelled to return at intervals for my high volume hits. My wife OTOH, can live quite happily with the PD alone. Different strokes...
But for someone who wants a versatile vape and can't afford to buy two units, I think the PD is impossible to beat (assuming you can live with its particular limitations) due to the "design, quality and construction" you mentioned. Tom has hit on a great design in improving the heat exchanger (both performance and installation). The unleaded parts and tank-like construction give me peace of mind. And I'm 100% convinced that nobody else is going to take the time and effort on the outer construction and finish that Tom does. Not at this price.
Still.. everyone is saying what I said... but for some reason I'm accused of having an agenda

and once again if this was said before and I missed it.. I apologize

Choose wisely!!

spyder,

max

Out to lunch
TV show with studio audience and guests
All guests and audience members must vape before the show starts and during vape breaks when you'd normally have commercials. As guests I suggest Woody Harrelson and Willie Nelson. I know Willie has an SSV and I bet Tom would provide him with a PD in return for a nice testimonial. :cool:

max,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
It could be called "Who's Vape Is It, Anyway?"

max said:
TV show with studio audience and guests
All guests and audience members must vape before the show starts and during vape breaks when you'd normally have commercials. As guests I suggest Woody Harrelson and Willie Nelson. I know Willie has an SSV and I bet Tom would provide him with a PD in return for a nice testimonial. :cool:

jeffp,

spyder

jeffp said:
late at night when i'm fucked up and the light is very dim i keep missing when i try and mate the tube (female) to the vaporizer.
i AM getting better at it but it occured to me that t would be nice if the male was maybe brightly colored, i guess vegetable based purple, day-glo, ("this goes HERE!) to make it completely idiot proof.
What if the heater element at the bottom of the vaporizer glowed... maybe even purple

@ least you'd have something to aim for

spyder,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Joking aside, last night I found that between hits, if you're gentle you can rest the PD with the tube intact on its side. It doesn't roll and the tube actually holds in place.

And yes, I believe that the material itself will determine whether you get 2,3 or more hits per load.

spyder said:
jeffp said:
What if the heater element at the bottom of the vaporizer glowed... maybe even purple

@ least you'd have something to aim for

jeffp,

Purple-Days

Max says, "I bet Tom would provide him with a PD in return for a nice testimonial."

Nope. Sorry Willie...

I won't buy a testimonial. Not that he could be bought. Cripes how much is he worth. He can afford a PD... It would be against my principles.

Purple-Days,

max

Out to lunch
Just joking around Tom. ;) But I don't blame you for stating your official position. I'd do the same.

max,

vaporcloud

lurking kiwi
Just to clear a few things up.

The new DC wall unit I had is still an 'unregulated' unit. I couldn't get a regulated unit that gave 12v DC @1A. All the regulated ones had too lower ampage. I don't know if it really makes any difference. Perhaps warm up time is longer due to the unregulated output but my PD is working fine with the current unit. Im mobe her around rooms and the performance is always the same. Again I believe it was more user error ... and Max you could be right having experience with the Vapo would have helped. It has fully taken me 48 hours to master the technique ... but last night 'sipping' on the bowl rather than trying to drain it in one hit let me get 3-4 satisfying draws. And the effect is very pure .. and to honest when I was taking big whip hits with my box vapes my lungs sometimes complained due to the excessive volume. No problems there with the PD.

And as for missing the bowl or leaving the tube in the PD on its side. Why bother. Just leave the tube upright in the PD between hits. Thats what my wife does and only a few crumbs ever fall into the heat chamber. After the first hit the plug is locked in the bowl anyway.

Like Pam I quite like the suck-straw method of loading the bowl. Ensures adequate air flow.

vaporcloud,

vaporcloud

lurking kiwi
I will say I'll be keeping the PD for home/personal use for me and the wife. I like to take a vape with me when practising with my band but I wouldn't take the PD but the vaporite will be perfect and the guys wont care if there is some burn and they will enjoy the big fat hits.

vaporcloud,

vaporcloud

lurking kiwi
I love my PD. There was a learning curve but now I'm getting farken baked on fuck all weed. Topped off a couple of bowls with some pollen and it was yummy fucken yum!!!

Here's a pic of my kiwi PD

pdbe5.jpg

Note the shine. Buzz butter all the way baby!

vaporcloud,

max

Out to lunch
Nice vc! I like your cherry better than the one shown on Tom's site. It looks darker and has some interesting grain patterns to it. :tup:

max,

vaporcloud

lurking kiwi
Had a mate visit last night and between him the wife and I we peeled back 3/4 of that bud in the photo. Shit we were giggling and carrying on like bloody school kids ... 40+ yo school kids :lol: GOOD TIMES . Ground up the rest this morning ... 3 PD bowls and wooha top draw wake n bake.

vaporcloud,

max

Out to lunch
Had a mate visit last night and between him the wife and I we peeled back 3/4 of that bud in the photo. Shit we were giggling and carrying on like bloody school kids ...
Sounds like a good time (and a lotta PD hits :ko: ). Your pic prompted me to post one of mine (Western Maple), courtesy of Tom's site. The indentation above the LED seems to be a maple characteristic. Gives it character for sure. I was attracted to this one as soon as I saw it. It was one of Tom's early production units (or maybe the final prototype), and the heat exchanger is now 1/8" more recessed.

max,

partially veiled

Lo Boob Oscillator
Ohhh guys. I'm getting too excited. This is not good. :o :brow:

Max, that is indeed a beautiful PD. That Western Maple is a beauty, couldn't ask for a more signature, classy look. You've got to love those undulating, almost swirling, grains. I sure do!

vapor_cloud, I'm with max on this one. That Cherry turfs the one on Tom's site (just ribbing of course there Tommy boy :p)! I love the darker look. It might just be the quality of your pictures or the lighting or something, but your PD looks darker, richer, and more vibrant than the Cherry units I've seen. Freakin nice one man! I know of a nice Cherry Stash Box that would compliment that PD QUITE kindly!! :tup:

Mine should definitely be here soon, Postal service starts up again tomorrow and I'm thinking it should be arriving some time this week for sure. Therefore, be warned that among the first things I'll be doing is posting a picture of my new best friend! I LOVE the solid, hand-turned block of signature hardwood aspect of this vaporizer design. The first vape I started looking at when I came "back on the market" was the SSV. I was digging on it because of the whack hits and the super clean, tasty vapor aspect of this unit, but I really did like the custom outfitting part of the deal as well. The hardwood is sort of the same thing with the PD.

I have always loved natural wood grains...but especially some of these beautiful, slow growing hardwoods. I hate to see them felled to have their wood harvested, but we all must go eventually, I suppose, and I will appreciate the wood once it's been processed...too late to go back then, anyway! So yeah...I do love wood grains, and I think they are about as "unique" as it gets...no two PD's will ever be the same! No two trees will ever have identical growth patterns/environmental circumstances, so these units are truly unique. Maybe it's just blabber from a guy with a bias, but I love this aspect of the vape and I'll be sharing my unique looking unit with you all as soon as it's here. I really have to try to get better at waiting, in the mean time...

(insert "Jeopardy" theme-song here)

partially veiled,

vaporcloud

lurking kiwi
haha ... I hate waiting too and I was lucky that my PD arrived super fast. Take your time getting to know your PD. IMO its a different vapping experience than other convection vapes ... narrower hits but still full of flavour ... and well it just gets you hammered!

vaporcloud,
Top Bottom