Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

nysuperscum

I bought a PD last week based entirely upon the reviews and comments that I have read in this forum. Posting a full review seems a little redundant at this stage of the thread. So here goes a couple of observations/comments on the fly:

1. Tom and Pam are both very helpful and straightforward. It makes you feel valued as a customer and the tone of helpfulness smacks of "pride-in-craftsmanship."
2. The package arrived right on-time. 2 days cross country from the Purple-Days.com corporate campus to my hole here in NYC.
3. The PD is, as Tom would say, NOT for everyone. It has a long warm-up time, the notoriously (or gloriously) small bowls, and it lends a deep roundness to the vapors, a specifically heavy, earthy, rustic sensation to the hit. It is very much like smoking, just no smoke or ash. Only pure brownish duff, and that not as dark as from many of my other vapes.
4. It is pretty efficient, but if I hit a bowl more than twice it still gives off vapors, but it makes me want to vomit sometimes. I have used in it some Blue Dream, OG Kush, Aphrodite and HeadBand so far. None of these usually makes me feel like vomiting under any circumstances. maybe I am just being a pig but I feel like there is often resin left unvaped even after the huge two hits so I am now packing the bowls lighter and gagging less.
5. The design is simplicity characterized. Brilliant. It is a uniquely excellent vape and I will use it every day at home. The i-inhale goes in the car with me.

I also want to say thanks to Tom and Pam for doing things in such a kick-ass way.

*** NOTE TO A OF Z- Dont get an assisted whip unless you are anticipating being on a ventilator soon. You probably won't want the whip spewing around your good vapors all over the place***

nysuperscum,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Alright another member of the NY PD club. :brow:

Sounds like you have a sensitive palate like me, and a better selection of herbs. First hit vaporizes the good stuff-- trichome resin, terpenes etc. Subsequent hits are vaping into the plant matter itself with far less flavor compounds. Seems that most people have iron palates and like to vape every last bit out of their herb. All that smoke must have killed their taste buds. Just kidding. :D

The small bowl of the PD is great for vaping all the 'tasty stuff' in one hit. :tup:

:cheers:

vtac,

vibes1952

Welcome nysuperscum to the NY PD family. (Hudson Valley Area) :peace:

I too am a member, I'm sure there are others out there.:uhoh:

Too bad about the nausea, I haven't exhibited that symptom (been using PD
for about 2 months now). From what Vtac is saying, it's not uncommon.
Let us know if the nausea subsides if not packing so much (relative) :/

You will learn so much in the first few days of using the PD. ;)

Pack light, draw slow, hold in, exhale, repeat.....blow out tube, relax/refill/go to work :o

ps- The instrument works best with PREMIUM (but as I can see you have no problem in that area):brow:

I wish I had that selection around here :ko:

vibes1952,

Purple-Days

Welcome to the PD Family nysuperscum. Thanks for all the kind words. :)

Yep, when the flavor is gone I'm a lot less interested. That second and maybe third draw are for frugality. But after that I'm ready for fresh flavor and good vapor. That is the idea of the small bowl, just load some more. . . ;)

Purple-Days,

max

Out to lunch
Welcome to the forum and PD ownership nysuperscum and PokerFish. :wave:

PokerFish said:
I found the PD unit reviewed on another site.
What site? Inquiring minds want to know. It was probably a review by a FC member. :cool:

Basically I love it. It uses so little product it is going to save me a fortune. Even compared to the vapman this uses less with the same or better effect. One tube and I am good to go and the unit stays ready for me whenever I want it. So I SOLD the Volcano the next day!
Wow! I suspect that Tom will want to use that statement on his testimonials page. :brow:

nysuperscum said:
Tom and Pam are both very helpful and straightforward. It makes you feel valued as a customer and the tone of helpfulness smacks of "pride-in-craftsmanship."
The best 'personal touch' in the business. :tup:

The package arrived right on-time. 2 days cross country
2 days from Oregon to NY! Looks like priority mail is working just fine for ya Tom.

It is pretty efficient
That's an understatement IMO. Considering the limitation of a set temp, I'd say it can't be beat. I feel that the I-inhale, also with a set temp, is much less efficient. I think a big part of the reason I feel that way is because I consistently load more in the Inhale. After using many different vapes, my opinion is that loading up a bowl with quantity, while allowing for more and bigger hits, gets into the law of diminishing returns-partly because the big hits tend to be more wasteful. I can get big enough hits from the PD to get my 'big hit fix' and still control them. And since loading a small amount in a big bowl is no fun at all, I think the PD is the absolute tops in the combination of efficiency and pleasureable hits.

The nasty 'back end taste' is present for me in any direct draw vape I use, but for me it's worse with the I-inhale than with the PD.

It is a uniquely excellent vape
;pd; :luv:

max,

P0KERF1SH

P0KERF1SH,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
lately ive been finding myself using just one stem for myself, because if i load up all 3 i end up thinking "well... its already packed so i might as well" even if im happy with where i am high-wise

and yes, hitting straight from the stem does feel a lot like smoking, im always changing up my methods based on my personal whims though
taste doesnt really bother me, i hit a bowl till its absolutely dead, meaning theres no vapor whatsoever even in front of a light and if i just draw it into my mouth then blow it out

i love how stealthy vapor is, hell ive snuck a hit or two with my dad in the room, and ive had a session in the living room, and my parents come into the room and not even a sniff. with smoking, i got "do you smell a skunk" or some variation on that because they dont know what it smells like, and now i dont have to risk them finding out

Acolyte of Zinglon,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Well, just be careful AoZ, marijuana vapor might not be as apparent at first, especially to someone who partakes in the herb, but it most certainly smells like the cheeba.

SpiralArchitect,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
hehe im not a particularly reckless person, but sometimes risk is just fun :brow:
that being said i dont make risky behaviors a common practice ;)

Acolyte of Zinglon,

max

Out to lunch
because if i load up all 3 i end up thinking "well... its already packed so i might as well" even if im happy with where i am high-wise
Yeah. Know what you mean. It's like a light dose of 'big bowl syndrome'. :)

i hit a bowl till its absolutely dead
That's usually my approach too. Take the good with the bad. And the bad end of the PD bowl ain't all that bad.

i love how stealthy vapor is, hell ive snuck a hit or two with my dad in the room, and ive had a session in the living room, and my parents come into the room and not even a sniff. with smoking, i got "do you smell a skunk" or some variation on that because they dont know what it smells like, and now i dont have to risk them finding out
And in the home stealth catagory, the winner is... :bowdown: ;pd;

You mind mind if I use that last quote on the vape section of another forum? Anonymous of course. It'd be a great thread bumper.

max,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Do you really think vapor is that stealthy? I just wouldn't want people to get the wrong impression (thinking they can get away with vaping in dad's office scott-free for example).

If I blew a hit of vapor in an occupied room (even if they didn't see me exhale), I'd have a hard time explaining why my farts smell so damn good. :brow: :lol:

SpiralArchitect,

vibes1952

my thoughts are that the smell of vapor is there for maybe a minute or 2, but either way, it sure is easy to cover up the vapor smell if really needed. :ninja:
I think even a good SA fart or others could cover up the vapor smell. But opening a window or door works wonders too. Never could you cover up combusted smell. When demonstrating the stealth-ness of PD I always do the 'smell' demo first and that blows people away :cool:

vibes1952,

hazy

combustion fucker
Manufacturer
For someone like myself who only vapes small amounts, the smell really is negligible, and it's not something most non-users would recognise. My wife can't tell, and she's really sensitive. One puff of a joint and she would smell that a mile away.

hazy,

max

Out to lunch
One puff of a joint and she would smell that a mile away.
Joints (or anything with a lot of sidestream smoke) stink up the place big time and the smell hangs around forever. Definitely the least stealthy way to partake.

max,

vaporcloud

lurking kiwi
Because the PD is so accurately in the 'vapor zone' the amount of smell is very small. I have had a session and then got straight into a car with straight people and I know they can't tell what I have been doing. Other vapes when hit at a higher temp will create more noticeable smell. The PD only cooks the product to a certain point avoiding the higher temps that create more odour.

The king of stealth for sure! :cool:

vaporcloud,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
So I was vaping a bowl a few days ago at a friends out of the PD and it made kind of a single *crackle* noise..

I thought it was like the THC crystals vaporizing or something (admittedly, I was half-drunk), so I thought nothing of it.

I just got back from grocery shopping (300 bones down the drain, *sigh*) and loaded up a big kief bowl and it made that sound again.... it's really puzzling me. Has anyone else experienced this? Could it be the metal expanding/contracting?

SpiralArchitect,

Pitzpon

i had that couple of times on a brand new unit, only happens when you inhale and only on the first one, the second (and third if it looks like its worth the go) makes no sound, so i guess its the herbs poping.

Pitzpon,

vaporcloud

lurking kiwi
I'm sure its the trics popping. It happens to me every few bowls. I get the same crackle when vapping fresh green through the vaporite.

vaporcloud,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
The the crackle of trichomes popping..... is that like, the sound of tiptoeing ants? :uhoh: :lol:

I guess it makes sense... then again, I'm pretty vaked.... :ko:

edit//// Soooo full.....

Well, as promised, here is a good macro of the stock/replacement screens and a direct comparison in the middle. :D

I just finished changing out all of my screens and aligning my clips. I know, I'm weird. :ninja:

double edit////

I'd just like to say, this year, one thing I am very thankful for, is the Purple-Days. Tom and Pammy, from the bottom of my heart, thank you. I really can't describe the joy this thing gives me. It's basically all I have been using since I got it. Bless you two, much love from up north! :)

SpiralArchitect,

Purple-Days

Wow, Spiral, what a nice thing to say, we sure are thankful for all the folks we have come in contact with in this adventure, Especially the ones from this forum, what a group. :D

Well, as announced there are design changes for the Purple-Days Diffuser and kit, We made some hard choices this week and look on them as positive changes for the Purple-Days Experience.

First Edition Purple-Days contained a discreet purple LED pilot light. While our durability tests proved the toughness of our unit, they also pointed to the weakest feature on our product.

The LED can be disrupted by shock and also by heat. Efforts to isolate the LED from soldering heat were used, However the conduction through the wiring and migration of heat into the LED during normal use caused some LED failures.

Steps to block this heat migration were not entirely successful. :/ Any units with failed LEDs will be repaired to the latest standards or the unit replaced with a new model as they choose. We stand behinf our work and want folks happy that they joined the family.

On that first day I asked Pammy, "What color light would you like?" It's been a part of the Purple-Days since the beginning.

It is a hard choice to make, but you don't need a purple LED to make vapor. It has been eliminated. IIn it's place Pammy, the artist of the family, is wood-buning a small logo.

I hope you all like it. It means the PD is even more durable and discreet than ever.

NEW : The Vegan P-D. Yep, we have had several folks asking what they could have instead of leather. So why not leave the leather off and sand the wood smooth?

NEW : 72 Stainless Steel fins, 12 more than before. :) Same mass , same as before, just more fins 'cause I felt like it.

NEW : Extra power supplies, for those that want an extra plug in the other room. Extra car adapters too.

NEW : Look for a piece of lucky jade in every kit now.

Sorry to say we can no longer include the Violet Blossom Oil sample in our kit. Every time I mail a kit they ask " anything haz, perish, liquid or fragile". I just can't stand lying over a few drops of oil. So we have quit sending that item. Another hard choice. Our updated FAQ page has a link to a high quality fragrance supplier and you can choose your own special scent.

Thanks again to everyone who has contributed to this thread, your ideas and suggestions are invaluable to us. :)

Purple-Days,

max

Out to lunch
It's safe to say we'll all miss the little purple LED :cry:, but I, for one, understand the decision. That goes for the violet blossom oil as well. I applaud you for not wanting to tell a lie (even a harmless one) with every shipment. On the plus side, I like the new, lower pricing for extra tubes (Buzz Butter too I think?), and the offer of an extra AC adapter and/or car adapter at those prices is extra nice as well. ;)

Everyone should appreciate that the PD is a steal at $150, and one of the best features of it is the extreme reliability. Since doing away with the LED helps Tom keep warranty costs manageable (and the price the same), and also helps to keep its trademark reliability safe, I think the change in design is sad, but one that will benefit Tom's business, and PD buyers, in the long run. And those of us who own the 'original' PD can now consider our units to be collector's items. :)

max,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Well, I meant it Tom, from the bottom of my heart. :)

Wow, so that is the changes! So is this version 2.0?

I didn't think it would be getting rid of, what I thought, was the coolest part of the PD. But I understand the reasons for it. I'm just glad I got one when I did. I honestly thought one of the changes would be a recessed insert for the power supply. That metal lip gets kinda hot when left on all day, and having it recessed would add to the sleek design. I'm not even sure if that is possible, your the master Tom. :D

Can you request a PD without the wood engraving? I think some may love the design, but I can't say I am particularity fond of it. That little light is just so damn inviting....

I do like that 'Vegan PD'.... my purple-leather is already getting pretty tarnished, and the little PD logo on the bottom, I'd have to say, is pretty sweet. Just a quick question Tom, for a fee can we have the leather fixed/replaced? I don't know how I did it, but I can't read Purple-Days on the bottom, and their are a few nicks and scratches in the leather, not to mention some discoloration. I'm somewhat of a stickler when it comes to these things, and when I hold this beautiful device in my hand, my attention is always drawn to the slight imperfections from my recklessness on the bottom. :(

Regardless, I like the added fins! Way cool. Does this change the heat-up time or how well it hits? I'm just curious as to the reasons for the design change here, 'cause I felt like it' isn't good enough Tom! :p :lol:

And I love the idea of the extra power supplies -- I have to relocate mine all the time (which can be a PITA because in my PC room, it's on a powerstrip behind my desk, which requires some finesse to access).

Anyways, cool beans, thanks for letting us know about this Tom.

SpiralArchitect,

UrutuBsb

Maconheiro
Purple-Days said:
It is a hard choice to make, but you don't need a purple LED to make vapor. It has been eliminated. ...
NEW : The Vegan P-D. Yep, we have had several folks asking what they could have instead of leather. So why not leave the leather off and sand the wood smooth? [url]http://s1d3.turboimagehost.com/t/1011733_Vegan_PD.JPG[/url]

NEW : 72 Stainless Steel fins, 12 more than before. :) Same mass , same as before, just more fins 'cause I felt like it.

NEW : Extra power supplies, for those that want an extra plug in the other room. Extra car adapters too.

NEW : Look for a piece of lucky jade in every kit now....
Was my PD shipped with these modifications?

Pammy had email-me telling that mine was posted 17/11/2008 to Brazil and I am becoming anxious waiting for it.

UrutuBsb,
Top Bottom