Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
This was truly fun and Pammy did a very good job judging. I may be alone in this but I think this was MUCH more fun that guessing how many screws are in a jar.

jeffp,

kertong

*please delete me*
jeffp: you are correct - I woke up to a nicely dried nug of a strain called 'the pure", and as you promised, it ground up incredibly fine in 1/4th the time it used to take! Vaped real nice, got some real solid hits out of it. I'm at work now and I already miss my PD, it had been my desktop companion the entire weekend.

I ended up taking the cotton filter on the mouthpiece out. It weakend the hits, and a brown film started forming on the cotton. I'm guessing the brown film is what forms on my bronchii/passageways, and provokes the allergic reaction. I took the filter off and the hits got much stronger, but I felt a weird scratchy "film" at the back of my throat. No coughing though, thanks to the zyrtec / claritin D. was able to get through enough bowls for proper dosage, so i've found a good balance.

thanks for all the tips, guys. without this thread and everyone's generous help, I'd be wondering what all the fuss of the PD is about. These tips go a long way to really realizing the full potential of this marvelous vape. :)

kertong,

kertong

*please delete me*
photokographer said:
Used a Volcano for the first time about a week ago, that was pretty crazy; how do you guys compare the PD to something like that?

I see that you have an MFLB. I have an MFLB too, and I've owned a volcano (it was my daily for 2 years), and now the PD has become my daily (amazing how quickly it happened).

Like others said, they are totally different beasts. For me, as I am a daily, multiple-times-a-day user, the routine is really important for me. It was one of the reasons I couldn't get used to the SSV as I was worrying about the glass whip, kinks in the tube, tangles, drops and breaks, etc.

here's a glimpse of how it goes:

Volcano: 1) pick buds and grind them real fine 2) load them into volcano chamber 3) place screen/lid on chamber 4) connect chamber to deflated bag 5) place bag on volcano unit (once it's warmed up), click the green switch, and wait for bag to fill up. 6) 30-40 seconds later, turn volcano inflator off, disconnect bag from chamber, connect to mouthpiece. 7) enjoy.
Effect: vapor from a bag is a little more stale than fresh directdraw/whip vapor. about 2-3 volcano bags are what i needed to dose at night. Each chamber held about 0.25g-1.5g of ground material, and each chamber would fill about 2-3 bags, with the first bag being tastiest/strongest, and the last bag being pretty stale/powdery/toasted tasting.

PD: 1) pick buds and grind them real fine 2) suck in a tiny amount through PD stem 3) place PD stem in PD 4) enjoy.
Effect: the direct vapor from the PD is a bit hotter and dries out my throat/mouth quite a bit more. tastes fresher and better though. each bowl is about 0.025-0.05g. i go through 5-6 PD bowls and I'm good for the night. The 4-6th hits start tasting toasted, but not stale or unpleasant by any means.

As you can see, usage of the PD is a lot more hassle free, and I get just as vaked from less. To be fair, I ran my volcano at a 6.0-6.5 setting. I could probably have bumped up the heat to a 7.5-8.0 for a more conventional "stoney" effect, but at that point the vapors start tasting acrid and unpleasant. :)

As for quality and strength of the hits, i like to look at the PD as the MFLB's big brawny brother. yes, the bowl sizes are smaller, but I feel the power source and heat exchanger makes a big difference, vs. just a heated screen. the PD hits similarly to the MFLB, just smoother, fuller, and bigger from much less herb.

Hope that helps. :)

kertong,

pngwyn

Does anyone know where I can find a picture of the original stock purple leather that comes on the bottom of these?

I am trying to decide if I want the Bison hide yet, but I definitely want to see what leather comes stock before dropping the extra $10 :o

EDIT: Screw it, Bison leather it is!! Sure I'm won't be disappointed. Now to sit and wait until it arrives... >.>

pngwyn,

bunkered

Hello,

I am a long time lurker, logging in with a quick question.

If I want to use my PD in the UK will this adapter suffice?

(click pic for details)

Or will I need to buy the correct wall wart for the UK? I will be there long term if it makes any difference.

bunkered,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
That will do you just fine.

Sometimes it's annoying though as the US transformers come out sideways- and it can get in the way of any socket next to it. Because of this I prefer the native ones which point downwards in the socket. Also I've noticed it seems that you can plug the USA transformer in either way- it doesn't seem to matter which pin in live and which is neutral? I've always found your US plugs pretty flimsy in comparison to our chunky 3-pin beasts, and somehow insecure. So I'd get a safe UK one :lol: But the lighter weight US versions are more slimline and more portable. Anyway, you will be grand with that adaptor.

WatTyler,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
kertong - glad you like. i maintain that bud should be as dry as possible for vaping. screw the subtle notes and nuances of flavor - I never considered weed much of a taste treat.
i'm telling you the next step to make the harshness go away is to connect the PD to a bong. i think that will resolve your issues in that regard.
OTOH I usually get an allergic reaction to weed in the beginning. Right after my first one or two hits I'll sneeze. I do have hay fever and I've always assumed this is what it is.

jeffp,

hereatlast

jeffp said:
screw the subtle notes and nuances of flavor - I never considered weed much of a taste treat.
:o To each his own I suppose!
Either way I agree, vapor + water filtration is a treat!

hereatlast,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
hereatlast said:
jeffp said:
screw the subtle notes and nuances of flavor - I never considered weed much of a taste treat.
:o To each his own I suppose!
Either way I agree, vapor + water filtration is a treat!

On balance I would say that it's nice to taste flavor but definitely not at the expense of consistent powerful inhalations. I think Tom mentioned back awhile ago that he actually goes through two stages of drying bud before it's used.
Some vaporists prefer their weed as bone dry as possible. Regardless bong vaping with the PD is something that should be experienced. I like bong vaping with a mini stem which is available, ergonomically I find it to be a plus.

jeffp,

bunkered

WatTyler said:
That will do you just fine.

Sometimes it's annoying though as the US transformers come out sideways- and it can get in the way of any socket next to it. Because of this I prefer the native ones which point downwards in the socket. Also I've noticed it seems that you can plug the USA transformer in either way- it doesn't seem to matter which pin in live and which is neutral? I've always found your US plugs pretty flimsy in comparison to our chunky 3-pin beasts, and somehow insecure. So I'd get a safe UK one :lol: But the lighter weight US versions are more slimline and more portable. Anyway, you will be grand with that adaptor.

Cheers, just wanted to check it was safe..

If it's awkward I'm sure I can sort something out in the longer term.

bunkered,

Purple-Days

One last check in, before I check out for a couple days.

Bunkered, WatTyler probably recognizes what you are showing a picture of, I do not. What I see is a female and male version of your area's three prong layout. If I'm missing something, like a transformer to convert to 12V inside what is pictured forgive my ignorance... please, always refer questions about electricity to the product manufacturer. Checking with a forum about safety? ;) Come on... right?

I will try to give you some specs, then you decide... The P-D runs on 12 Volts and draws about 720 mA. Of course, you want a little overhead, in any power supply rating and we suggest (OEM) 1000 mA, as that is adequate by a healthy margin and a very common power supply rating... You can think of it like a breaker or fuse rating (though it isn't) in that you need a higher rating than the appliance draws... and a 1500 mA or 2000mA or even higher rated (Amperage) power supply will be just fine... AC or DC (center pos. or neg.) doesn't matter.

Input Voltage and prong configuration will be different depending on your part of the world. It's your choice, but rules are the same. 12V @ 1000 mA or greater output, (AC or DC) , simple 2.1 mm x 5.5 mm end plug.

www.Jameco.com has this item back in stock...
714d9s.jpg

we successfully used them (optional) in a lot of International kits till they quit carrying them. Now they are back. :tup:
http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_2108656_-1
you will need a prong insert for the part of the world that you are plugging into.
They sell a kit with four inserts. (or individual inserts)
http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_229181_-1
2kg090.jpg

+++

Gotta run, I'll try to get back to evaporative cooling when I return. :cool:

Purple-Days,

bunkered

Thanks for the detailed reply Tom, I appreciate it. I'll look into it better. I'm quite heavily medicated right now though.

:whoa:

bunkered,

Purple-Days

You are welcome. Just write, please, if there is any confusion later. We are happy to have that International Power Supply to suggest. It's the best we have seen (and used personally). Check the specs, regulated 12V, @ 1000 mA , the correct plug end, pretty nice, out of Honk Kong (Phong Mfg.), via jameco in the USA .

Short definition of regulated vs. un-regulated power supplies.
... would take too long for today... I''ll be back... the really short answer is ^^^ that will work...

Purple-Days,

Irie

Chant Down Babylon
Hey all. I finally used my hops inline with my pd. So nice. Very smooth, nice to cool the vapor. I had been using my launch box with the hops for a few months with great effect, then got the pd and was happy with it stock for over a month....I shouldn't have waited to use the glass! In theory, I think the water and longer glass path would Diminish the vapor by cooling it to a resin sticking on the glass but it seems to work very well despite that and I notice no loss in effect.

Taste vs effect. Depends on what you like in that moment. I prefer the choice, in fact it's a necessity to my lifestyle. Change keeps it fresh and effective and there are particular effects or experiences I seek to fulfill with my herb. Enjoyment of taste is often the primary or secondary priority. Taste secondary to lung health is in fact the main reason why I vaporize rather than combust. Smoke tastes intolerably awful.

Irie,

dankitydank

Today is officially 4 weeks from order for my PD. :D So excited. I can smell fresh wood. :lol: Won't be too much longer I hope, this guy above me is making even more excited with his new one...

dankitydank,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
Purple-Days said:
If I'm missing something, like a transformer to convert to 12V inside what is pictured forgive my ignorance...
It's just an adaptor, Tom. Nothing inside (sometimes a fuse). The transformer plugs into that, and then into the wall.

But I have had a subsequent thought. I may have not thought enough. It maybe needs insides to convert to 120V rather than 12. Are the PD stock transformers the ones rated 110-240v input? My PD Pandora didn't come with a power supply so I'm lacking that crucial fact, but the two US 12V transformers I do have are 120-240V (Arizer Solo & MFLB PA), and so they just need an adaptor like the one pictured. But I think you also get transformers that work on only either/or 120/240v (would that be unregulated?). If it is the latter, and only for 120v input, it obviously won't work (it kills them dead) and you will want a new one.

edit; I just followed the link from pd.com looked at the data sheet- it seems it is only 120v input. So sorry to have mislead you- that adaptor won't suffice if that's your supply. You need either a 120-240v transformer with it or alternatively you can buy them this side of the pond easy enough- let me know if you need a link. But the 'international kit' Tom pointed out looks sweet as it would give you the versatility to use in both countries without clunky adaptors and is much more useful.

WatTyler,

Todai

So, I've had my PD for a few weeks now, and have an observation.

Maybe I'm just used to drawing through my SSV, but the drag on the PD is pretty tough. Feels like trying to suck ice cream through a straw, that's the best way I can describe it.

Is this normal for log vapes, or is this something unique to my unit.

Don't get me wrong, it medicates fine, the taste of the material used it great, the workmanship is outstanding. I'm just not used to that kind of drag.

Todai,

Madcap79

Jack of all trades, master of none.
Todai said:

Maybe I'm just used to drawing through my SSV, but the drag on the PD is pretty tough. Feels like trying to suck ice cream through a straw, that's the best way I can describe it.

Don't get me wrong, it medicates fine, the taste of the material used it great, the workmanship is outstanding. I'm just not used to that kind of drag.

Could be a packing issue? What technique do you use?

Madcap79,

djonkoman

Todai said:

it does have noticable drag if you try to inhale fast, but icecream to a straw sounds a bit too much drag to me, you could try loading looser(not pushing in, maybe a bit coarser grind)
but for example if I first do some pushups then immediatly hit the VG, still breathing deep, I can't take the entire breat trough the PD because it has too much drag (I tried using pushups to counteract the lower bloodpressure effect of weed, worked pretty well, now if I'm bothered too much by low bloodpressure I just take a few pushups and I'm all good again)
but when not breathing deep from excercise and just inhaling on my regular speed don't really notice the drag

djonkoman,
Top Bottom