Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

hereatlast

placetime: I think the Ehle 250ml is a good option. HVY makes some nice stuff in the price range as well. Local artists (where/when available) can also provide a great resource for quality glasses and reasonable prices. I didn't mean to put down the SSFG by any means, just to suggest that there are other options in that 'niche.' Either way, I do think that as a first piece a simple straight tube or beaker on the smaller side works great in concert with the PD, especially since quality, thick glass in those designs can be had for pretty cheap (I think jeffp's SSFG link showed a $60 price-tag?).

hereatlast,

weedemon

enthusiast
lookin good man. i saw a decent cloud!

btw i would hit is a 2nd time before emptying it out. then when you empty it, regrind with your fingers, suck it up and hit it once more!

weedemon,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
You're doing it right of course but I hit it very differently. Rather than constant inhalations I take one long relaxed deep hit, hold it in for about 7-8 seconds, and then release the vapor. You should get about 3-4 very solid hits.
Are you drying your herb before grinding it? Very important. Very simple to do - just leave a few day's worth of your stash out in the open air, or on top of a free heat source like a refrigerator, cable box, etc. Maybe a few buds on a little plate or in a shot glass, for example. Leave it alone for a few hours or overnight. Then run it through ideally a two piece grinder like a space case (everyone has their preferences but the consensus is that two pieces give you a finer grind and they're easier to clean, and that off brand grinders are also very good). When you're done grinding if it's with a two piece smack both parts of the grinder down on the table which will liberate the kief and mix that with your blend. Load up the PD stem as if you're inhaling through a straw and maybe pat down the top of the load just a bit. If you don't load the stem too tight (which you should never do) not only will the herb adhere to the stem after the first hit but it will be very easy to blow out the herb from the stem into the muslin bag that came with your kit.

Save your spent herb, don't throw it out. Keep it in an airtight jar like a mason jar and when you have about 1/2 cup of spent herb you are ready to make mind blowing brownies.

jeffp,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Scuse me while I kiss the sky....

sky.jpg

jeffp,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
jeffp,

kertong

*please delete me*
jeffp, thanks for the tips! :D Love your pictures, that last one is *exactly* the face I picture when I hear that "excuse me while I kiss the sky" line :) (awesome song btw, little wing is probably one of my all time favs).

I haven't dried my herb yet, but I am doing so now per your advice, jeffp. I'm using a "cosmic" brand two piece grinder, it works ok but really doesn't get it down as fine as I'd like, especially with wet/moist herb. Been saving the abv, I've made coconut oil capsules and edibles before, but I'm really hoping to try out a everclear tincture this time around, or maybe even some bho. That's offtopic though, so I'll do my research on other parts of the forum..

oh, jeffp, the reason I'm inhaling the way I am, is due to the topical marijuana/particulates allergy that hereatlast helped me discover :) I seem to cough much less holding mouthfuls of smoke before putting it in my lungs.. or maybe that's just the zyrtec doing it. I'll experiment and find out. :)

Loving the PD so far, and surprised at how quickly it has blended itself in as a "everyday used item" right next to my laptop on my desk. Just finished stem (bowl?) 3 and I'm feeling pretty good, stem 4 should do the job! I have a pretty high tolerance (daily mmj patient), so I'm really happy that the PD can do the job - at first the tiny bowl size really worried me!

kertong,

Madcap79

Jack of all trades, master of none.
Nycdeisel said:
Where are you from if you dont mind my asking madcap. why didnt you take your PD?

St. Louis area. Only going to be gone for a couple days for business. Didn't want to risk the hassle plus I wasn't sure if I could still 'sack' my stash with the new scanners. Turns out I didn't go through one. Oh well. 2 day t-break. :lol:

Madcap79,

Nycdeisel

Oh, alright, I assumed for a moment that it was a longer trip. yea wouldnt wanna fuss with herb there for 2 days. Your PD will wait for you!

Nycdeisel,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
kertong - I recall reading very good things about the cosmic grinder. If i'm not incorrect it's made by the original creators of the space case. The reason you're not getting great results is because you're not drying your material before grinding. once it's dry it will turn and grind as fine as you like. you will also dynamically improve all things vaporizing related when you start drying your bud. Meaning you'll get stronger hits and more of them. Especially with the PD. Not so much with whip vapes - you can get away with not drying with a Silver Surfer. I know this because I wasn't aware of any of this stuff when I first bought my SSV. Didn't even possess a grinder at the time. But it worked. With the PD you need some basic preparation which is not a big deal.

jeffp,

hereatlast

jeffp said:
you will also dynamically improve all things vaporizing related when you start drying your bud. Meaning you'll get stronger hits and more of them.

I disagree a little here. IME (and I think others may report this same experience, others may disagree) 'drying' your bud in the method you advocate (the open-air aspect in particular) takes away some of the taste. That said, the dryer, crispier bud seems to grind much more easily and produce thicker vapor. Either way, I even notice this with my ground supply ('freshly ground' tastes much more aromatic and less stale than a couple days later) which is why I try to grind up a small amount at a time and keep it in a small airtight jar (so: mason jar-->grinder-->different, size appropriate mason jar). I know this stuff is largely personal preference but I do like to preserve the taste where and when possible. :2c:

hereatlast,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
hereatlast, yeah I agree with you in terms of "freshly ground" providing more flavor, just like coffee. Still, there is a pronounced difference with vaping dried bud with the PD and other vapes and not drying. The routine I have is pretty much a week rotation. I like having a week's worth at the ready in my Billy Bowl and the drier it is the better it is, in my opinion. I know I lose a bit of flavor but that's the trade off. It IS nice to vape non dried bud in something like the SSV once in a while, but I know drying is essential with the PD. I think kertong is in for a minor revelation when he tries it this way... :)

jeffp,

photokographer

Planning on placing my order within the week! And then the wait (and the reading of 379 pages of Purple-Days talk and such to pass the wait)

I've been vaping since the beginning of the summer and now there's no turning back :)

Used a Volcano for the first time about a week ago, that was pretty crazy; how do you guys compare the PD to something like that?

photokographer,

djonkoman

I used to grind an amount for 2 days or so and keep it on a piece of paper cvered by another piece of paper on top
but I noticed I only tasted it on the first stem with a new load, so now I try to minimize drying, I grind smaller amounts and dump it back into my grinder rom the paper(I need the paperstep to grind it more with a scissor, my previous grinder had a perfect fine grind but my present grinder has a coarser grind, fine is possible but takes far more time and effort them just using scissors after the first grinding in the grinder
in my grinder it doesn't really dry and the taste is preserved
but my sense of smell usually isn't that good so taste is always harder for me, with the pd I can now get taste practically everytime but only on the first hot of a stem with weed not extra dried, and exhaled trough my nose
with combustion I most often have no taste or only ash(also before I started vaping, since I vape combustion has actually gotten more taste)

djonkoman,

tonuzzi

Spoon Dogg
photokographer said:
Planning on placing my order within the week! And then the wait (and the reading of 379 pages of Purple-Days talk and such to pass the wait)

Great choice, you will love your Purple Days! :ko: :peace:

tonuzzi,

Purple-Days

Pammy had one week to decide. It was a tough chore. She purposely avoided the forum, so she wouldn't know who entered ... Obviously some shots were from certain 'characters' ... but, she is a fair and honest person, all shots were judged by her, according to merit. Congratulations to the winners, better luck next time to those who entered but didn't win.

Category winners will receive a wooden stash bowl turned by Tom.

Most Creative
2vkgfiu.jpg

Best in Glass
m7t6hs.jpg

Humor
smfs5x.jpg

Outdoor
2wdvh9j.jpg

Logos (an extra category)
11smsdj.jpg

Pets (an extra category)
14xmkbt.jpg

Honorable Mention ...
If your picture is here, and you didn't win another prize, you win Two Purple-Days Diffusers tubes. (one prize per username)
331p2fl.jpg

efqf0m.jpg

2zhfrko.jpg

r9lb1v.jp

ev59hz.jpg

fep2tw.jpg

34gq7ac.jpg

2wn1gmh.jpg

2nvgtfp.jpg

1vvp5.jpg

j7qdcj.jpg

swae7p.jpg
:tup: The Grocer series was a hoot.

If your picture won a Category, or your picture was one of the Honorable Mentions, to claim your prize do the following:

A) use the e-mail link under my avatar (only) to contact us.
B) Give us your Category: ie. Best of Glass, Humor, Honorable Mention etc. and your post number, both are mandatory so we can cross check.
C) Give us your name current shipping address.
D) optional, include a note.
E) Give us a couple weeks to turn some more bowls and mail items.

Thanks to all who entered, it was a lot of fun.

Stay tuned for the Halloween Contest. It will involve creativity. :cool:

I'm gonna be occupied for the next few days... See you all Thursday or Friday. :peace:

Purple-Days,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Woot! Congrats to the winners! I really enjoyed watching all the photos come in :) Some really great shots!

Lo,

djonkoman

surprising how much of these pics I missed and now see for the first time(and they're great btw)

djonkoman,
Top Bottom