Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
djonkoman said:
did a quick search and couldn't find it, when using a bong with the pd, wich size downstem does the tube fit in?
and is the stock tube the same outer diameter as ed's tubes? (so would they have the same fit in a bong)

Standard size downstem - I believe it's 14 (wait for NYCDeisel to chime in, she's the resident bong expert) , and Ed's tubes won't fit; they're a little wide plus you don't want water so close or on a wood stem. Ed's tubes will fit a PD though but don't use it with a bong. If anything buy a shorty PD stem from the PD site - it's more ergonomic but the standard regular PD stems work perfectly fine.

jeffp,

Nycdeisel

jeff said it all really, not much for me to chime in on haha

note: short stem goes well on short pieces, but its optional!

Nycdeisel,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
For those interested in hooking your PD up to some glass...

I suggest a hydratube from VapeXhale. I've been testing the Cloud and got to the last of my goodies when I did what I always do...switch to the PD exclusively since I can make a little last forever in that sweet little vape. I've been using a carb tube for the PD that CD made me a while ago, but have since gotten to like the feel of water filtered, ice cooled vapor. So I took a bullet stem (never used before) and bought a rubber grommet from my local head shop (the kind for downstem fitting) to mate it with the hydratube. The result was the best PD hits I've ever had! It was a near perfect fit and could use a little tweaking, but the seal was plenty tight enough without much fuss.

It used to be that I had landed on the SSV and the PD as my all-day go-to vapes, but the Cloud has replaced the SSV in that lineup. The even greater thing about it is that the hydratube is like a bonus PD accessory. I can use the same glass for both and enjoy filtered, cool hits from either one. If you are looking for glass for the PD, the hydratube is worth a look. It can be bought separately or you could get the whole Cloud and have one great water tool for what I consider to be the two best vapes on the market.

I hope this doesn't sound like a cloud plug. I've always wanted to hook my PD to some glass but couldn't given the expense and the teens I have around the house. But the hydratube is small enough, affordable (I think, as it isn't out yet) and just so happens to work great with the PD with a little modification.

stickstones,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Thanks Stickstones - the hydratube seems to be worth a look/see. I know what you mean about kids in the house. My almost 13 year old daughter is here on weekends meaning on Friday mornings all my fun stuff goes into a locked file cabinet. My SSFG bong fits fine in there, wrapped in a towel. The minty used SSV in its padded case that I scored for $100 from craigslist not so much, but I'll tell you, if this VAS (Vaporizer Acquisition Syndrome) doesn't let up I'm going to need a second file cabinet.

jeffp,

wowthisisrandom

Glass/Vape Enthusiast
I think that water tools are a great addition to the PD. I wish I could have gotten one of those inline PD stems back when CD was making them. Anyways I got an inline bubbler for use with the PD and it has been working great. I posted some pics over on the customized vape setups thread.

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/8416/sam0219x.jpg

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/3109/sam0215l.jpg

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/7524/sam0221u.jpg

I am definitely envious of you stickstones, the showerdome and hydratee tubes both look sick.

wowthisisrandom,

hereatlast

Another fan of PD with water tools here. Most of my vaping is PD + water filtration. Off to do a little more right now.

hereatlast,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
wowthisisrandom said:
I think that water tools are a great addition to the PD. I wish I could have gotten one of those inline PD stems back when CD was making them. Anyways I got an inline bubbler for use with the PD and it has been working great. I posted some pics over on the customized vape setups thread.

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/8416/sam0219x.jpg

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/3109/sam0215l.jpg

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/7524/sam0221u.jpg

I am definitely envious of you stickstones, the showerdome and hydratee tubes both look sick.

oooo...those look nice! I forgot I had an inline bubbler from CD a while ago before it cracked and I had to chuck it. I used to hook it up to the Extreme and it was nice. My hydratube hooks to the PD with the same little bullet tube as yours, but I have a black rubber grommet half way down on it. There is a little wiggle, and the rubber tastes like nasty rubber (I notice when I suck/pack the stem), but it's not in the air path. I'll come up with a better system to mate with the PD eventually, but the cool thing about it is that it comes together and you hold it just like the Cloud. So the ritual is the same, just different hitting styles. I love being able to use the same glass with both of my favorite vapes!

stickstones,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
jeffp said:
Thanks Stickstones - the hydratube seems to be worth a look/see. I know what you mean about kids in the house. My almost 13 year old daughter is here on weekends meaning on Friday mornings all my fun stuff goes into a locked file cabinet. My SSFG bong fits fine in there, wrapped in a towel. The minty used SSV in its padded case that I scored for $100 from craigslist not so much, but I'll tell you, if this VAS (Vaporizer Acquisition Syndrome) doesn't let up I'm going to need a second file cabinet.

You ain't kiddin! I used to have two PD's out in the open when they were little. Once the questions started coming I had to exile all my shit to the shed...sometimes I feel like I am hitting my vape in a sauna, but clearly I am not losing any weight! Ths sucky thing is that when you have five or six vapes, you'd like to have them out to enjoy them. Now I gotta pick which one to use for the week because packing and unpacking gets to be a chore.

But having the Cloud and the PD as a combo covers just about all the bases and takes up little room, so I think I've got a good thing going now.

stickstones,

hereatlast

stickstones, a simple 18-14mm reducer will allow you use to the hydratubes with the PD it seems. They don't cost much and can prove useful elsewhere as well.

hereatlast,

Purple-Days

Hey Sticks, "I hope this doesn't sound like a cloud plug." .... please mention The Cloud and SM and any associated products here anytime*. Good to hear your PD isn't a relic. :)

*StoneMonkey is much respected around here (PD Land). I haven't kept up as much as I should with his progress but know what he is about. Quality #1 . :tup: Righteous . . .

Now I gotta check out the HydraTube. :cool:

And have to check out The Cloud too. I never had any doubt that he would produce one of the best units. :2c:

+++

Just a bit of blog about PD Land. UPS shows up today with an eight foot hard cardboard tube, usual supply of .035 Stainless tubing.

1z3cle8.jpg

Steel end caps, packed well, broken in two places, steel bent, tube taped back up... I say, "looks like somebody stomped it." he says, " likely a conveyor accident..." .... Says, Superviso advises that you don't report things 'damaged', but as refussed.... so I end up holding the bag for reporting, and re-ordering and additional shipping.

Yeah, this

1z3cle8.jpg

is the way they (MSC) shipped it, not... :cool: and I am the ass that refused it. Nice, UPS... :/ Oh well, not my driver's fault, he and I know that...

Oh,well, :rolleyes: That's why we order ahead of our needs. Sometimes, like the Walnut, a while back, the supply line fails (it's on the way from laser man to us), but this steel issue won't hold us back. It's material we will need next month and it's only a day away, by UPS, in a mega warehouse I have been to, (by accident, on our way to AZ). Excellent service from MSC as always.

Purple-Days,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
hereatlast said:
stickstones, a simple 18-14mm reducer will allow you use to the hydratubes with the PD it seems. They don't cost much and can prove useful elsewhere as well.
Sweet...and thanks! I know just where to get one.

stickstones,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Purple-Days said:
Good to here your PD isn't a relic. :)

Not a chance in hell, Tom! I've been meaning to tell you this, but never got around to it...

There are a few people around here I have been trying to get hooked on vapor instead of all the smoking they do. I've loaned out my Extreme, Iolite, VaporGenie and who knows what else. But never my PD's, even though I have two of them. I just couldn't part with either of them even for a little while. For the record, no one ever converted to vapor. So I finally broke down and loaned Wally (my Walnut PD) to a good friend of mine who has returned at least one and maybe two vaporizers before. It wasn't two days later and he was asking how much they were so he could start saving up for one! I should have known that the best chance to convert a smoker to vapor would be to let them use my favorite vape!

Then he came over and we went to hit my Cherry PD. I reluctantly pulled out my carb tube knowing that he would crave it and we can't get them any more...I must be evil!

stickstones,

Purple-Days

Thanks Sticks, it means a lot coming from you.

+++

Got a criptic E-mail from CD the other day, of course they are all criptic to us as we don't speak French and while his English is always improving, we get parts of the message, but maybe not all... anyway my limited understanding, through Pammy's limited translations and understanding is that he still makes PD related items. But, Etsy sales policies are the current problem. I'm not sure how he is going to get around the Etsy issues, or what items he is making or is willing to make. Anybody who has interest in his work (and isn't it fantastic?) should contact him. He is an artist and worth supporting. We like him, he is a friend, we support his art. Go Revolverre !

Purple-Days,

MajorDoobage

Stationary Traveler
Purple-Days said:
Thanks Sticks, it means a lot coming from you.

+++

Got a criptic E-mail from CD the other day, of course they are all criptic to us as we don't speak French and while his English is always improving, we get parts of the message, but maybe not all... anyway my limited understanding, through Pammy's limited translations and understanding is that he still makes PD related items. But, Etsy sales policies are the current problem. I'm not sure how he is going to get around the Etsy issues, or what items he is making or is willing to make. Anybody who has interest in his work (and isn't it fantastic?) should contact him. He is an artist and worth supporting. We like him, he is a friend, we support his art. Go Revolverre !

Hey Tom, do you have CD's contact info? I'd like to see his work and love supporting family-owned businesses :)

MajorDoobage,

Purple-Days

I can give public contact info available to all,
The Etsy Contact stuff should still get through.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/revolverre
and his FC contact info :
http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=2363
just hit the e-mail link on any of his posts.

Please remember, CD is not an English first speaker. He Speaks French, so keep it short and to the point, or you will not make sense... Simple, short, direct... statements or questions... don't ramble.... OK ??? He is a nice guy, but internet translators won't get across your fine points... Her is a great guy and a great artist, but not great multi-linguist, KISS if you know what I mean. (KISS is trad. for Keep It Simple Silly...) ;)

Purple-Days,

Madcap79

Jack of all trades, master of none.
alexwallis said:
Hi.
I am writing for some advice.
I am not particularly vaked tonight, or at least I didn't think I was.
I finished my first stem, cleared it and then put some music on and absently began filling a stem.
You guest it, I just sat there packing and packing for a minute or two, and only then figured out I was packing the mouth end rather than the bit that goes in the heat exchanger.
So, predictable question, how do I clear it without say having to remove the screen or soak in alcohol?
as I don't have any alcohol to hand, and I wouldn't like to try getting one of those screens back in without help.
I tried blowing into both ends of the tube with no result.
thanks for any help.

Maybe let the bud dry a little and straighten out a paper clip and dig it out? Just a thought.

Madcap79,

Milk

Mike
Glass is pretty however being clumsy can cost you, I love the pictures though! It's good to hear that CD is still making glass. I always found it hard to navigate etsy's website, attempting to speak broken english/french might even be easier...

Milk,

Vitolo

Vaporist
Madcap79 said:
Maybe let the bud dry a little and straighten out a paper clip and dig it out? Just a thought.
how about one of those thin small wine corkscrews. Or else make one from a piece of newspaper wire. Screw it into the herb, and pull it out.

Vitolo,

jimbo

winterize
Just checked the mail and got a PD stem and cap from Tom and Pam, made my day :D
Thanks so much :)

jimbo,

chimpybits

Hi fc PD folk, I'm about to take the leap into vape-ing and have pretty much decided on the Purple Days and keen to whip out the plastic, but have a few questions. Let me know if you would prefer me to post this as a separate thread.

First a bit of background. I'm switching to vape-ing as I do a lot of sports and want the health benefits of vape-ing. I recently had my first vape experience (from an old glass bowl type) and knew it was for me. Really this is my first foray into paraphernalia (other than papers) even though I'm about 30 years from a noob smoker. My usage is as follows:
1. Solo, very light, occasional (weekly or less) sessions. I frequently get eye pain and have found this is the only thing that works. Also, I sometimes like a light buzz on my own.
2. Getting baked with 2 friends once a week or so.
(Really though my frequency is very inconsistent - going months or years without, then going regular say weekly or more for a few months. I wouldn't be surprised if vape-ing increased my regularity of solo light use for dealing with my eye problems).

The PD fits my main wish list: Healthy (non-toxic parts, non-combustion); aesthetically pleasing (I would like wood and not some large weird metal thing with a digital display); ease of use (I'm new to this after all); small dosages; semi-portable. I really don't want to buy more than 1 vape and this thing could be packed over to friend's place (for usage #2 above) where we tend to convene and consume.

Here are the questions:
I came across a post somewhere stating that 1, the PD produces drier and hotter vapour than some vapes causing more irritation and coughing, and that 2, this can be alleviated by extending the passage (thereby increasing the condensation) by attaching a whip to the tube.
Any options on this? Where can I get a suitable whip? (p.s. I'm in Vancouver Canada so if the whip is pretty standard a local head shop should suffice).

Yet another wood choice question. The web site states "Myrtle is a bit more dense and just a little cooler than Cherry or Black Walnut." I think I came across some opinion that the Cherry being the first of the PD woods is most tested and recommended. Also, Myrtle apparently runs cooler than either Walnut or Cherry and Cherry runs warmer than Walnut. lien stated that "do you like to operate in the upper vape range or in the lower vape range." Unfortunately, I have no idea. I'm kinda thinking something in the middle (Walnut or Myrtle right?) and putting a sock (as insulation) around it if it is too cool or learning to vape differently. I'm leaning toward Myrtle. Any there any non-animal options yet for the base? Also, I'm a bit impatient and wondering what base choice will bring about the quickest turnaround - Tom?

I'm likely to be turning it on only when needed (warming up for 45 minutes or so). Is it a good idea to leave it on 24/7 for the first month or so to break it in (stabilizing temperatures) ? Any other advice in terms of accessories or anything at all for a noob with usage as described? Grinder?

Thanks Tom and everyone here for all the info, pictures, and feedback that's been posted.

chimpybits,

hereatlast

chimpybits: Sounds like the PD might be right up your alley (IMO).

Because of the proximity to the heat-source, the vapor that the PD produces is relatively hot and dry (IMO). There are a couple ways to combat the (possible) irritation. Compatible vaporizing tubing will definitely do the trick: a longer vapor path allows the vapor to cool significantly before it hits your air passages. From the PD website:
Can I attach tubing to a Purple-Days?
Yes, the Vapor Stem is 1/2" outside diameter and is cool to the touch, so add food grade tubing and any
other devices you like from there.

USPlastics is a good source for vaporizing safe tubing. A little search around these parts will get you going (simply, I'd recommend the "Tygon 3350" with 1/2" outer diameter [OD]).

Beyond a length of tubing, many users like to use water filtration (bongs) with their PD's. The stock stems fit right into a 14mm GonG joint. (Another quick search around here will give you good results on a starter piece if thats a route you end up taking).

As for the woods: its hard to pick a preference unless you know if you like higher or lower temperature vapor. Either way, the difference, while noticeable, isn't as much as exists between the PD and other vapes (IME). All the woods seem to be so pretty so maybe just pick on the basis of your aesthetic preference? You can always add a sock or two to a lower-temp unit (e.g. Myrtle) if you wanted to.

Welcome to FC. :)

hereatlast,

lwien

chimpybits said:
I came across a post somewhere stating that 1, the PD produces drier and hotter vapour than some vapes causing more irritation and coughing, and that 2, this can be alleviated by extending the passage (thereby increasing the condensation) by attaching a whip to the tube.
Any options on this?

There are very few who attach a whip to the tube. Most go with just the tube itself, or they mate the tube directly to the downstem of a bong. While it has been reported that some are sensitive to drier and hotter vapor, I never found this to be an issue. For me, I never noticed that the vapor was hot in the least, nor did I notice that it was particularly dry. With that being said though, I really like to vape through a bong filled with hot water. The added moisture really does help the lungs to work more effectively with the vapor, or at least that's how I perceive it.

lwien,
Top Bottom