Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadshort480

We're here to fuck shit up.
Yes, leaving ISO in your unit after cleaning is user error. Charging upside down has zero effect in anything as long as you let the unit cool before charging, which is what you should do anyway.

Yes, I had a blue flasher. Ploom sent me a shipping label to send my unit back and then sent me a brand new unit within a week. When I contacted them about the temp light they sent me a new mouthpiece, cleaning kits, and lube. I then realized that I wasn't cleaning thoroughly enough, no matter what the user manual says. That thing is more of a quick reference guide than anything. Anyway, once I took it upon myself to clean more carefully and thoroughly, I found that all my issues went away. The temp light happens maybe once a month.

You are going to run into issues with every electronic device in the world. When you are using that electronic device to vape sticky shit, you are most likely going to have more issues more often.

Just because Ploom doesn't want to say user error doesn't mean it's not exactly that.

I own firearms. In the manuals they all suggest regular cleaning. It does not lay out a cleaning schedule or tell you exactly how to clean or what to use to clean. So if I decide I'm going to clean my gun with nail polish remover and it destroys the firearm, that's not Colt's fault, that's user error.

zyzz

For those who have used the pax warranty, how does it work? What does Ploom ask for, can you please tell me the full procedure?

Has anyone who purchased their pax on ebay still gotten their unit warrantied?

Has Ploom denied any warranty service on a Pax? (I have read other people saying this has happened but I haven't seen the actual users who have had this happen to them)

Thanks for any help!

zyzz,

Hexi

Yes, leaving ISO in your unit after cleaning is user error.

I then realized that I wasn't cleaning thoroughly enough,

no matter what the user manual says.

That thing is more of a quick reference guide than anything.

The temp light happens maybe once a month.

You are going to run into issues with every electronic device in the world.

When you are using that electronic device to vape sticky shit, you are most likely going to have more issues more often.

Just because Ploom doesn't want to say user error doesn't mean it's not exactly that.

if I decide I'm going to clean my gun with nail polish remover and it destroys the firearm, that's not Colt's fault, that's user error.

No one claimed they are leaving ISO in the unit. (intentionally)

What about the guy who only cleans his 1x per month? His works (except he also has the temp light issue)

You, me, and the 1x cleaner per month... all 3 of us have and continue to have the temp light issue. Despite your careful cleaning.

I agree, all devices have a %chance to fail for some users. However the failure with the PAX we are talking about isn't specific to the electronics, it's the mechanical failure with the mouthpiece etc..

If you cleaned your gun with npr and it ruined it, that is a voiding of your warranty. That is not analogous to the issues being discussed.

The PAX specifically states to use ISO to clean it. (but as we see later, they emphasize a point, which is what is causing the failures)

This is right from their own FAQ

How often do I need to clean my Pax?
Pax is a precision device. It’s important to clean Pax on a regular basis. If you clean your Pax well, it shouldn’t need to be cleaned for at least a dozen or so uses to remain in top performance. Of course, the more the merrier! Please note, wetter tobacco may require more frequent cleaning.
----------------------------------------
Can I clean the mouthpiece or oven lid in isopropyl alcohol?
Yes, isopropyl alcohol can be used. The mouthpiece can be entirely submersed. Do not entirely submerge the oven lid; we recommend using a Q-Tip or something similar.

PLEASE NOTE: Do not use isopropyl alcohol on the temperature setting button underneath the mouthpiece. ALWAYS ensure the mouthpiece, lid and screen are dry before reassembling them.
And here we have it. The "PLEASE NOTE" part. This is normal, a device or computer system or whatever gets released, there are issues, those issues are analyzed, and the result is often something like this.

I own a PAX, I used my PAX, I loved my PAX. Having problems with it doesn't mean I 'hate' it or want it to do badly.

But where the Temp button is located + the moving mouthpiece + the upside down charging etc.. etc.. all add up to most problems with the device being centered around this.

Another example of why "user error" isn't terribly useful, and the most over-used categorization of failure cause in many industries.

How long should I wait after turning it off before cleaning?
A couple minutes should be sufficient for the device to cool down. Always take precaution when handling a potentially hot device.

Hexi,

Hexi

For those who have used the pax warranty, how does it work? What does Ploom ask for, can you please tell me the full procedure?

Has anyone who purchased their pax on ebay still gotten their unit warrantied?

Here is what worked for me to get instant CS support.
Go to the PAx website
start up a CS chat session...

Depending on what the issue is, what happens from there can vary. Send in a unit, or just get something shipped to you etc...

Authorized sellers on Ebay ...yes those are covered under the warranty. You might not even get that far (anyone asking about a warranty)

I have to say, their customer service via the online chat was excellent, and I told them I appreciated it.

zyzz

Here is what worked for me to get instant CS support.
Go to the PAx website
start up a CS chat session...

Depending on what the issue is, what happens from there can vary. Send in a unit, or just get something shipped to you etc...

Authorized sellers on Ebay ...yes those are covered under the warranty. You might not even get that far (anyone asking about a warranty)

I have to say, their customer service via the online chat was excellent, and I told them I appreciated it.
Thanks for the reply Hexi. Do they ask for a receipt or some sort of proof of purchase?

zyzz,

Reflections

I bought a pax in december 2012..my first vape... followed all the cleaning vids and instructions and my mouthpiece got stuck 2 months later..welded shut..followed their advice to heat up with hair dryer..lol didnt work so sent back to distributor i bought from and they sent me a new one..recommended i try lube and it made me cough to much so i just dont use it... i clean it every week or if it seems things are starting to stick i do sooner.. i have now had the 2nd one since february and loving it!

Reflections,

Hexi

Thanks for the reply Hexi. Do they ask for a receipt or some sort of proof of purchase?

Lets just say I bought my PAX from a 100% verified Ebay authorized dealer... but you're the only person I've ever told that to.

Hexi,

Reflections

Ive read in this thread somewhere ..lol maybe 200 pages back that a couple of people were taken care of by ploom without receipts..Just tell them truth it was a gift!

Reflections,

Deadshort480

I fully agree that the PAX has its shortcomings. I've said many times throughout this thread that I wished the mouthpiece did not control anything and that a fixed mouthpiece would bre ideal. I've said that a flush mounted external rubberized button for power and temp change would be excellent and bypass all the issues.

Ploom was pretty adamant about keeping the PAX as is. I haven't heard anything of an upgraded or all new unit. I'm guessing that's kind of where the 10 year warranty comes into play.

Deadshort480,

zyzz

Lets just say I bought my PAX from a 100% verified Ebay authorized dealer... but you're the only person I've ever told that to.
: ) thanks for the tip
Ive read in this thread somewhere ..lol maybe 200 pages back that a couple of people were taken care of by ploom without receipts..Just tell them truth it was a gift!
good to know thanks

and I came across this on reddit...sorry if its a repost

http://imgur.com/a/YwwkK/

BGa1aoc.jpg

Deadshort480

I think you'd catch more shit for having the open container! Anyone that sees me puffing on my PAX who asks, I just tell them it's an E Cigar. No one second guesses.

SameOldTim

Previously Known as 'ThermoCoreTim'
Manufacturer
Hey everyone,

A good friend of mine has a Pax, so I've been getting to use it a fair amount.

A while back right as the Pax was released i tried a few out and i was able to get pretty dense vapor right out of the box. I've noticed that the one my friend has doesn't produce as much vapor on the same setting.

Has anyone who has had theirs replaced notice the newer one wasn't as hot as the older one?

Cheers,
Tim

jeff

yep, and I was thinking the heat would have helped it (the winter wasnt kind on her) but it seems the heat maybe much worse for it than the cold. No idea why really, but thats my guess. That and keep in mind I was at a fest, so it was being used a lot more than at home. It does put out massive clouds though, I dont understand how people arnt killing themselves with this on high (people are reporting weak hits on here) I get bigger hits off this than I do off a fat doob.
No kidding. I kind of wish there was a temp between low and med. Medium gives me huge choking massive hits. Low though is a lil to low for me :(
Here is what I gather from reading about it, owning it etc..

• Most PAX either have no issue or no issues are reported
  • Some get the "temp light issue" (and it stays at the level you mentioned, wiggle to workaround)
  • Some progress from 'temp light issue' to 'temp light issue...charging issue'
  • Some progress from 'temp light issue' to 'stuck mouthpiece issue'
  • From TLI and SMI it can progress further to can not charge won't get unstuck.
No one has any stats, but we do know that Ploom has pretty robust CS agents, so obviously there are enough issues that live chat, a replacement mouthpiece, a video on cleaning it, specific branded lube drops... etc.. has emerged.

We all agree that it's a known fact that all mfg devices have a failure rate, and that failure rate varies wildly depending on the item. We all agree that not all Pax owners have problems, and most are probably fine.

The touchy part is when people accuse others of being the problem, and not the device. It's a bit silly, but it's natural to blame the user. Blaming the user is fun, easy and requires no further analysis. So I get why people say "you have to clean it" or "you're abusing it" etc...

But the reality is what it is. Some, many, not most , who knows how many... Pax owners have similar or the same problem.

When my mouthpiece perma-stuck I was confused, as it was clean. Searched around, and within seconds found a video of someone demoing the exact same problem, with a clean Pax.

So that's 2 of us, + the people in this thread who have issues. Widespread? Who knows. But it's not just us "dirty abusers" and "complainers" :D
you the guy that never cleaned his pipe? I just don't get why the cleaning concept is so offensive to you?

jeff,

GKritz

Performance wise I really want to get a pax for my commutes. But i wish they would change the design so the mouth wasn't the power switch. I can image its really easy to get that mouth piece stuck after some time of use, leaving the unit broken due to an unnecessary moving part.
Is this a good enough reason not to purchase?

GKritz,

natrat

A while back right as the Pax was released i tried a few out and i was able to get pretty dense vapor right out of the box. I've noticed that the one my friend has doesn't produce as much vapor on the same setting.

you have to compare with the same flowers because some definitely make more cloud given the same heat. But yes the other day i got 3 clouds on medium w/ a packed oven and then had to either stir or go to high and i could swear my first pax was better on medium but maybe not

natrat,

Mr.Krinkle

Shpooding Time.
I believe it has been stated that they do not honor this warranty if you buy it elsewhere. The local head shop or web retailer could be gone in a few years anyways so direct from pax is the best bet.
No. you are completely wrong. sorry.

Mr.Krinkle,

ludwig

I bought my Pax the saturday before last saturday. I've used it 1-3 times a day, varying oven size from full to small loads with a screen rolled up trick. I've been using it by myself, with a friend and in seshs with buddies. I keep it upright most of the times, storing, leaving it out, passing it round, and charging it with the charger placed on the top of the Pax. yesterday, the mouthpiece started to slide out when I turn it on and would not heat up so I just blew down the mouthpiece by itself and fidgeted with it, once it stays in place it works beautifully.

Though it's a time for me to give its first bath, will do it tonight.

I treat Pax like its a cup of water, makes me to keep it upright all of the time and it doesn't bother me really. If I used it less, I could see the time between cleaning it out will get longer.

Performance wise I really want to get a pax for my commutes. But i wish they would change the design so the mouth wasn't the power switch. I can image its really easy to get that mouth piece stuck after some time of use, leaving the unit broken due to an unnecessary moving part.
Is this a good enough reason not to purchase?

IMO, not a good reason, after you play with it and learn how to make it work for yourself, it is a very excellent vaporizer. You will figure out your way to make it work even when its bitching at you...

mod note: @ludwig, please avoid back-to-back posts, use Edit instead. Two posts merged.

Last edited by a moderator:
ludwig,
Reactions: GKritz

GKritz

IMO, not a good reason, after you play with it and learn how to make it work for yourself, it is a very excellent vaporizer. You will figure out your way to make it work even when its bitching at you...
Thanks for the reply ludwig

What would you say is the smallest amount of flowers you could get away with using to have a quick, couple hit, session?

GKritz,

ludwig

Thanks for the reply ludwig

What would you say is the smallest amount of flowers you could get away with using to have a quick, couple hit, session?

mods, my bad

figuring if a packed oven is around .2-.4, i could put in at least maybe 1/4 of the oven, pack it tight and throw in a steel rolled up screen, and close the oven and start using it, it might run a bit hotter because of the steel screen in there generating heat but it's bearable though..

ludwig,

grokit

well-worn member
No. you are completely wrong. sorry.

What am I wrong about, please state what is right.

"Warranty applies to original end-user purchaser only. Warranty does not apply should you purchase through a 3rd party reseller such as eBay and Craigslist"

grokit,

Hexi

I'm in agreement with you Deadshort480.

I think the only real problem I had was one someone was insisting that any/all/most PAX problems were the customer's fault for not being "responsible" or clean.

I own a PAX and loved it when I had no issues. Obviously stealth and design look is the #1 feature of the PAX and nothing else really comes close.

We all agree that every vape has it's + and -

As others mentioned, 10 year warranty and excellent customer service is also a very, very nice support system.

As far as "reasons not to buy" that's really a tricky decision. If someone tells you there is no reason not to buy, then it has an issue... or if someone tells you not to buy, but then it turns out it was the perfect vape for you :)

I got a PAX because of the design, ease of use, stealth etc...

Hexi,

Gnar

Hello everyone!
I was wondering if anyone could provide some insight to my dilemma. I ordered my PAX today from the Ploom website but did not receive an email. Shouldn't there be a purchase confirmation email?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you

Gnar,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom