Orion Induction Heater

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
yeah i know, but the specs are wrong. When u charge it with 2.3A, it needs 1:10h for a full charge. That means 1000mAh is way to low. You can see the results of my third charge on my pic.

Try the same charge test using the supplied AC adapter if you can make the connections, in the photo it looks like you were charging from a battery power source. I have a similar USB Power Meter (ZYXStudio ZY1270), for anything NOT USB, I use a PortaPow USB meter, that allows many different types of connections. I don’t own an Orion to test.

RustyOldNail,

Moses Baca

Colorado State Reformatory #8755
This has been stated more then once meow on various social media sites that dynavap posts to

meow

images

erkanostatic

Try the same charge test using the supplied AC adapter if you can make the connections, in the photo it looks like you were charging from a battery power source. I have a similar USB Power Meter (ZYXStudio ZY1270), for anything NOT USB, I use a PortaPow USB meter, that allows many different types of connections. I don’t own an Orion to test.

i did it, but same results i used this charger:

while charging:

end:

got my orion - and its 🔥BROKEN🔥 in the first 24 hours

the power-switch doesent work anymore, after maybe 10 times turning it on and off.
its just sunk in in the case and whobbling around. really not impressed about that quality....

also i have a list of things that suck, in my humble opinion:

- no changeable battery: meh
- case is plastic: meh
- power button is not flat to the surface of the device, it sticks out and is, like it seems, super fragile....
- its heating very aggressive - i like the heating profile of all my other IH´s more

i also heard from a electrician that he assumes that the battery is not suited for that high amount of power - over a peroid of time, and he assumes the battery will die prettey fast. not sure about that, but it sounds also not super good.

i wish really they will bring, someday, a more sturdy version out on the market with a bit better configuration.

i hope i get my orion replaced, i ordered it via the only german shop for vaporizers - and their support sucks ass big time..... :bang::disgust::(

Last edited:

erkanostatic

Feeling sorry for your broken power button, but you have a billing and warranty do a refund and get a new one.

George said the reason for a plastic case is, it makes your click much more louder and lighter (better for portability) at this point i can agree!

Power Button is not flat to the surface, maybe for a better feel or finding them without looking for them?

It's heating very aggressive, yeah for sure but it's nothing new even Dynavap says the Orion have a much more aggressive heating profile, when you dont like it, buy the Apollo 2 or the Rover both are more gently.

No changeable battery, at this point i can agree with you, that sucks!

Ordered via verdampftnochmal? These guys are really cool and FAST, dont worry about the refund when you ordered there.

Last edited:
erkanostatic,
sure, it makes the click louder, and i know you can "feel" it through the case better, probably, with a plastic/lighter material. but i am a clumsy dumbnut and really wanna take this device _daily_ with me: it _has_ to be sturdy ^^ .....

no need for looking at it when you simple can feel it: check out the magheater (compact) - sure, its nearly oversized, but i really love the fact that the button _cant get damaged_ just by handling the device around without a case in, for example, a backpack or stuff. i think this kind of solution is better, but just my 5 cents <3

i know the aggressive heating is not news, ;-) i just wanted to point it out, that, in a maybe new version, it would be nice to lower it, maybe just a tiiiiny bit - just for my taste the profile of the apollo, mag, sjk etc are just more pleasant.

yeah, via verdampftnochmal - they are fast, sure, but all contact via mail i got (also in the past) was kinda....sounding harsh and short worded...and this i say as a german! hahahaha but i guess/hope they handle it professional <3

just wanted to drop this as i didnt noticed any faulty device before.
i am a big dynavapfanboy and was just suuuuper bummed that this new device had, in my taste, a kinda big design- and quality fault.

<3

Derby_macht_Sachen,

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
check out the magheater (compact) - sure, its nearly oversized, but i really love the fact that the button _cant get damaged_ just by handling the device around without a case in, for example, a backpack or stuff.

Take a look at Mag Heaters latest model, the micro – right now he has some in stock.

yeah, via verdampftnochmal - they are fast, sure, but all contact via mail i got (also in the past) was kinda....sounding harsh and short worded...and this i say as a german! hahahaha but i guess/hope they handle it professional

I have been in their offline store many times, they are actually very nice & kind. Good luck.

Siebter,

FunkShui

I got my Orion yesterday.

Easy to use, small, heats quickly.

I love the auto heat of placing a dynavap in. I like it more than I thought I would! I don’t mind pressing the button on my vaphotbox but this just makes it feel even sleeker.

The heat up is a bit too aggressive for my liking. I get two hits per cap vs three and those two are both on the edge of combustion.

The cheap plastic/inability to open and change batteries makes me feel like it’s a disposable device. It’s functional and I like it but I’m not going to grow attached to it. Now I’m just waiting on my fluxerdeluxe!

TommyDee

Vaporitor
sure, it makes the click louder, and i know you can "feel" it through the case better, probably, with a plastic/lighter material. but i am a clumsy dumbnut and really wanna take this device _daily_ with me: it _has_ to be sturdy ^^ .....

no need for looking at it when you simple can feel it: check out the magheater (compact) - sure, its nearly oversized, but i really love the fact that the button _cant get damaged_ just by handling the device around without a case in, for example, a backpack or stuff. i think this kind of solution is better, but just my 5 cents <3

i know the aggressive heating is not news, ;-) i just wanted to point it out, that, in a maybe new version, it would be nice to lower it, maybe just a tiiiiny bit - just for my taste the profile of the apollo, mag, sjk etc are just more pleasant.

yeah, via verdampftnochmal - they are fast, sure, but all contact via mail i got (also in the past) was kinda....sounding harsh and short worded...and this i say as a german! hahahaha but i guess/hope they handle it professional <3

just wanted to drop this as i didnt noticed any faulty device before.
i am a big dynavapfanboy and was just suuuuper bummed that this new device had, in my taste, a kinda big design- and quality fault.

<3
I don't think your switch failure a common problem @Derby_macht_Sachen . The board in the Orion sits about mid-ship and the button is a right angle switch soldered to the board. There are normally robust enough to handle just about anything in your pockets or back pack. You got a dud that wasn't properly soldered or some such crap. Let them send you a new one and all is good. Yes, you probably have to go through the guys you bought it from. But you will be whole soon enough.

As to cheap plastic and making it a feature -I call BS!- It's just a cheap case with some good ergo choices and cost reduction for making the battery sealed. And agency issues all sealed inside to boot. Throw away device unless someone tells me the glue can release with RF energy. The quality of the mold tool is not what I would call acceptable for $200 product. There was very little engineering involved in making that tool what it could have been. A consistent texture sheen would have been no. 1 and gate locations are also a poor choice. However, they went through the process of making tools. Kudos on that effort.

The Orion was clearly made with M users in mind. Most people complained the Apollo heaters were not aggressive enough, so they went ahead and made this one highly aggressive. This is not good for Ti tips IMO. Even removing as soon as it clicks, the flavor suffers on the first hit, and the bowl is cashed in 2-3 hits. I’m talking black AVB. Going even one second past the click would risk combustion with a Ti tip. I tried the SS tip from the C-vap they included in my order, and it was better, but I’m not going to switch to SS tips just to accommodate this heater.

If you’re looking for big clouds and hits similar to a single flame torch heating low on the cap, then you’ll probably like this IH. For me, I’m not sure if I’ll be able to justify keeping it around. My Flix is tuned exactly how I want it.

TommyDee

Vaporitor
@letter never sent - mine isn't tuned that way. It is very weak on the first click. But a second over is a lot of added heat, agreed.

I did combust the Ti tip right off the bat and cleaned that while switching to the '19 tip. Blew my lungs out with that because I got a gnarly draw with some very aggressive intrusion-firing. Didn't blow up and probably got everything that load was worth in one rip. Haven't been able to do it since.

Orion is aggressive and that doesn't bother me so much. Any of you peeps that does sound mixing knows this instinctively - the delay in the cap detection has a horrible delay. There is simply no modulating this heater with a sip&dip process that won't drive you nuts. Micro-seconds in sound timing can ruin a song... we're talking nearly a 1/2 second beat down to get a signal! That ain't gonna fly. This detection circuit needs to be real-time.

TommyDee,

Meditation

I’ve found it a bit aggressive with just flower but sandwich a bit of concentrate between some flower and it works better..still a bit aggressive though. It does feel cheap, and the reason given ‘feeling’ the click is bollox cos I can’t feel it! My on button rattles a bit making it sound cheap as well! For the price I’m a bit underwhelmed tbh. And not being able to change the battery is also pretty shit just more plastic to chuck away. Case is nice I suppose:lol:

I own a flux deluxe a cauldron a PSM and a flix is being delivered tomorrow so I’m not new to IH and imo the Orion is the worst performer of them all.

RustyOldNail

Since I haven’t seen it mentioned, I assume the DV never announced a battery replacement plan for the Orion?

If that’s true, and we know the units glued shut, then I assume, handy owners will eventually have to hack the box open to replace the LIPO pack. That’s what stands out to me, for an expensive battery driven device, as well as no easy way to adjust the coil height to change the heating profile. Those are two big red flags for me, besides seemingly made to be disposable is not very environmentally friendly....

But at least they claim “assembled in US”, we do have GREAT GLUE!

RustyOldNail,
Reactions: Moses Baca

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
But at least they claim “assembled in US”, we do have GREAT GLUE!

Do they claim that? Because I only saw that sticker on the back that says „Designed by Dynatec – Made in China“.

Edit: Indeed, their site says „Designed and assembled in the USA“, huh.

Last edited:

Majordude2626

The Orion was clearly made with M users in mind. Most people complained the Apollo heaters were not aggressive enough, so they went ahead and made this one highly aggressive. This is not good for Ti tips IMO. Even removing as soon as it clicks, the flavor suffers on the first hit, and the bowl is cashed in 2-3 hits. I’m talking black AVB. Going even one second past the click would risk combustion with a Ti tip. I tried the SS tip from the C-vap they included in my order, and it was better, but I’m not going to switch to SS tips just to accommodate this heater.

If you’re looking for big clouds and hits similar to a single flame torch heating low on the cap, then you’ll probably like this IH. For me, I’m not sure if I’ll be able to justify keeping it around. My Flix is tuned exactly how I want it.
Yo I use my low temp caps, with this and Ti tips. Its an improvement, and more forgiving. If I have opportunity to see device while heating(which is most of the time) I started counting led blinks. For me 10 ish is click from cold, so I usually remove around 8 or 9 blinks, for my 1st couple of heat cycles, then move to the actual click.

RustyOldNail

Do they claim that? Because I only saw that sticker on the back that says „Designed by Dynatec – Made in China“.

Edit: Indeed, their site says „Designed and assembled in the USA“, huh.

Slow down.......

RustyOldNail,

swieder711

My first impression is very positive. Great size. Half the height of the VHB.

Orion heats much harder which I like. When using other IHs, it was taking me 2 or 3 hits before seeing a cloud. With the Orion, I see clouds right away.

The LED is very useful for heating, charging, etc.

I’m in strong like with my Orion. No regrets.

thunderstealer1337

I believe a clicking noise resonates even harder in a metal enclosure versus a plastic one, if they haven't announced anything about the battery replacement, its probably a one and done like every other electrical product you buy until you diy.

thunderstealer1337,

Majordude2626

I believe a clicking noise resonates even harder in a metal enclosure versus a plastic one, if they haven't announced anything about the battery replacement, its probably a one and done like every other electrical product you buy until you diy.
I've got a pipes IH, its 2/12 years old, pretty much daily use, and battery still good for all day. I do have a replacement battery but have not needed it yet. If I can get similar longevity out of Orion, I'm pretty sure technology will be more advanced by the time it dies and I'll want to upgrade to whatever sweet as IH is out at the time.

thunderstealer1337

I've got a pipes IH, its 2/12 years old, pretty much daily use, and battery still good for all day. I do have a replacement battery but have not needed it yet. If I can get similar longevity out of Orion, I'm pretty sure technology will be more advanced by the time it dies and I'll want to upgrade to whatever sweet as IH is out at the time.
Yes that may work for you but may not work for others, I own Pipes Caldron and would have gotten a PSM, but the battery capacity is too small for me and would require 2-3 charges just to get through the day.

thunderstealer1337,

Majordude2626

Yes that may work for you but may not work for others, I own Pipes Caldron and would have gotten a PSM, but the battery capacity is too small for me and would require 2-3 charges just to get through the day.
What about the rover or the original portside? Are they too big and heavy for your needs? Seems like those would meet your batt life requirements. I don’t think I get 50 cycles on my Orion, but I can‘t keep count. For me I use psm one day, then use Orion next, always keeping one fully charged for the swap out.

Top Bottom